View Full Version : Article - Hughes replaces Kwan as ice show's closing act

adrianchew
04-04-2002, 09:07 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/olympics/winter/2002-04-04-skating-tour.htm

Schmeck
04-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the link Adrian - it was an interesting article. I always thought Kwan and Slutskaya were more buddy-buddy during the show tour, though?

kelbabe
04-04-2002, 06:56 PM
I got that impression too, Schmeck........but maybe they just don't have the same food tastes?! It is obvious, to me at least, that Irina and Michelle get along and like each other. Maybe it will develop further this season- I can understand why one would not want to be buddy-buddy with the other last summer with the Olympics coming up. Just guesses from me.

As for Sarah closing it- she deserves it, she won the gold. I hope that this will give her some more confidence(to the great amount she already possesses). I think it will help her adapt to that "star" role, which I don't think is natural for her.

Michelle skating to Fields of Gold? Interesting- I thought she would have something new. Can't be too greedy I guess :o

Can't wait to read reviews!

Thanks for the link Adrian!

Kelly

ToddFan
04-04-2002, 08:01 PM
I doubt there's been much time for choreographing new programs LOL

And I think journalists like to play up any lack of best-friends-ness among the female skaters, because that's usually all they have to work with. Not much public cursing, drug use, what-have-you to make it spicy ;)

kelbabe
04-04-2002, 08:38 PM
TF- I understand there hasn't been much time- but I am selfish!!! lol It's ok, I LOVE Fields of Gold!

And I agree about the journalists too.

Kelly

ToddFan
04-04-2002, 09:37 PM
I didn't mean to imply you were being selfish ;) :)

kelbabe
04-04-2002, 09:38 PM
Oh I know TF- I'm implying it lol!!!

Kelly

ToddFan
04-04-2002, 10:03 PM
LOL

AxelAnnie22
04-05-2002, 08:39 AM
:? Fascinating article. I loved Sasha's comment "girls are a little different". No kidding. We girls hold grudges, and treat each other like mortal enemies. Silly, really.

I think the article was quite accurate in that the skating world has changed. Sarah EARNED the vaunted position. It is just the way it is.

I am disappointed that Michelle is not skating to a new program. I don't buy the "there wasn't much time" thing. It is not like they didn't know they were going to be on tour! When people are paying $40-$150 for tickets, and bringing a family, they deserve to see more than what they have seen all year long.

And, my comment goes for any and all skaters who recycle programs. These kids are all PROS. They are making tons of money on these tours, and throughout the year. They have a responsibility to make sure that they deliver. It goes with the goodies!

Kruss
04-05-2002, 11:58 PM
I thought "Fields of Gold" was new this year.

I consider the summer exhibition season to be part of the competitive season that's just ended - if so, then I don't see "Fields of Gold" as being old or recycled.

I know I haven't seen it live, and I went to COI last year. I'm looking forward to seeing it this year.

Schmeck
04-06-2002, 06:14 AM
Hey Kruss, my thoughts exactly! (Actually, I tried to post that Fields of Gold isn't even a year old last night, but it didn't work :( )

Anyways, I wish SOI Portland, ME and COI Boston, MA were not always on the same night! I miss seeing Michelle, and I forgot to try to get Worcester tix for COI. Hopefully she'll stay in COI for a while, so that I can get my act together and see her again soon!

HSF
04-06-2002, 02:52 PM
FOG is new this season. We're just spoiled because in past years Michelle skated to 2-3 GFBs during the season. LOL

I will admit FOG got more exposure on TV than an exhibition program does in a "normal" season. It was introduced at the Tribute show and then was aired at the Olympic exhibitions so that was two times more than in a "normal" year.

I'm glad she kept FOG for the tour because it is such a crowd pleaser.

HSF

Dustin
04-06-2002, 03:09 PM
If I can count right, FOG was on T.V. 6 times (Tribute, Masters, Hersheys, Nationals, Olympics, Worlds), which is more usual for a program in one year.

Hannahclear
04-07-2002, 08:28 PM
I think because it's been on so much, people have grown tired of it, though I still like it. I see their point though, because it was so sad at the Olympics, I think people associate that with her skating, though that is not what the program is really about. It's about memories, that's why its so bittersweet.

loveskating
04-08-2002, 08:57 AM
I don't even know why this made news...its standard procedure for COI to showcase the Olympic and/or Worlds Champs...Oksana Baiul closed the show in 94; Tara closed it in 98, etc. etc. etc. Its Champions on Ice afterall...not a show tour...its always been there to give people a chance to see the skaters perform their programs live.

In 98, I'd never seen Kulik's LP live, and it was totally diffrent, and even better to see it live

Patrick Brunk
05-05-2002, 05:04 PM