View Full Version : compulsory dances at regionals?

NiceIce
08-03-2002, 02:22 PM
Why is there a "draw" for compulsory dances at regionals???
I think it is absurd to say to skaters
"we arent going to tell you which dances you will be skating til you get here"
What is the point of that??
Skaters are told it could be 2 0f 3.
why?
[b:0c2f83e0ba]How about [/b:0c2f83e0ba][b:0c2f83e0ba]telling freeskaters which jump combination they will have in their short program only when they arrive at regionals?[/b:0c2f83e0ba]They would be outraged.Of course!
But dancers are forced to buy costumes for 3 dances, pay for coaching for 3 dances, buy ice time to practice 3 dances, and then are kept in the dark about which two will actually be used for the competition!
This is absurd.
Anybody know the point of this, other than some outdated tradition?

habanero
08-05-2002, 02:14 AM
[quote:37c7086104="NiceIce"]Why is there a "draw" for compulsory dances at regionals???
I think it is absurd to say to skaters
"we arent going to tell you which dances you will be skating til you get here"?[/quote:37c7086104]

Good point! I think it is mostly tradition at this time. In any case, the dancers would still have to prepare all the compulsories, OD and FD -- and buy the costumes to make it through Regionals, Sectionals, and Nationals -- not to mention Internationals.

Where it would help quite a bit is in traveling -- traveling with a full set of dance costumes is not trivial. Also, focusing on a particular dance or two right before an event would probably make the event better.

JKlink
08-07-2002, 09:58 AM
Although I think most dancers would like to know what CDs they will have to skate at a competition, they still can't drop the other ones as the CDs will be different at each competition. The CDs for the JPGs have already been posted, so maybe the USFSA will follow suit, but it might require a rule change as the dances are supposed to be drawn. I have heard that the CDs for the NACs have already been drawn, but I haven't seen them posted anywhere. JK