View Full Version : What Should I Download From RinkSide?

DramaSwan
11-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi!
I hope I put this in the right forum.

I have loved figure skating all my life but I didn't really get into it until like 2 years ago. I mean I didn't pay attention I just watched it when I found it by accident on TV. Anyway I just heard about RinkSide and I want to kinda educate myself I guess.

What really good, classic programs should I download? I have these already:

Torvill & Dean - Bolero - Olympics 1984
Janet Lynn - Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun - 1984
Lu Chen - Rachmaninoff - Worlds 1996
Paul Wylie - Carmina Burana - Legends 1995 (someone told me this program from a show called "Skates Times Two" is way better but I can't find it)
Alexei Yagudin - Revolution Etude - Worlds 2001

I know Emanuel Sandhu was really, really super at Canadians several years ago, but I'm not sure which year to look for.

Also, if someone wants to give me suggestions on a Michelle Kwan program that might help me see why she's a big deal then I'll give it a try. :??

What other programs should I see?

DramaSwan
11-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Now I have
Shen & Zhao - Turandot - Worlds 2003
Michelle Kwan - East of Eden - World Pros 1999
Jeffrey Buttle - Elgar Concerto - NHK 2002
Gordeeva & Grinkov - Moonlight Sonata - Olympics 1994
Gordeeva & Grinkov - Vocalise - World Pros 1994

Doesn't anybody have more suggestions? :cry:

Kemy
11-08-2004, 03:17 PM
I like Michelle's Song of the Black Swan and Red Violin, but you'd probably be able to get those from this (http://www.cruelladekwan.com) website. Also, her Fields of Gold exhibition (any of the ten million performances of it) is a good example of stuff she could put into a competitive program but chooses not to for some odd reason.

Sasha Cohen's Swan Lake from 2003 Campbell's was good, and don't forget Cohen's 2004 World's SP.

Emanuel's 2004 Skate Canada LP should be available now. I heard it's good.

Emmaly
11-10-2004, 05:33 PM
What is the website address for Rink Side?

Isabelle
11-10-2004, 05:42 PM
What is the website address for Rink Side?
www.rinkside.org

flippet
11-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Also, if someone wants to give me suggestions on a Michelle Kwan program that might help me see why she's a big deal then I'll give it a try. :??

I think this is 'the' one....she's performed this so many times that it's hard to remember exactly which performance was the one that really moved me. But there is definitely a performance of EoE that surpasses the rest, and it's probably due to a combination of Michelle and excellent camera work. She was just on that time, and there's something about it that just soars. This time, the whole really did add up to more than the sum of the parts.

MQSeries
11-11-2004, 05:37 PM
MK - FOG, Salt Lake exhibition. The music, choreography, the performance and the raw emotion of the moment made that number, I think, one of the most memorable exhibition ever.

Katia - Her first solo performance at the Sergei's tribute. I don't know if it has the same impact watching it so many years later, but I will never forget how powerful it was the first time I saw it.

Dimitriv & his partner - Rachmaninof at Albertville

Katia & Sergei - 1988 Olympic free

Torvill & Dean - Barnum or Mack&Mabel. I didn't care for Bolero that much.

Tiffany Chin - 1984 Olympic free. She was amazing that year.

Katerina Witt - 1987 Worlds. Didn't care for the "Bat" costume, but it was a gutsy performance form her.

Rosaline Summers - 1983 Nationals. She floated over the ice. Try also her White Christmas number from World Pro.

Yuka Sato - Spartacus from World Pro. Try also her "I Love You" program from one of the Ryders Ladies pro competion

Midori Ito - 1987 Worlds free program.

Paul Wylie - JFK from one of the Pro-Am. Carmin Burina where the electrical power in the house went out for one or two second.

Kurt Browning - Singing In The Rain. ( Kurt has too many good numbers to remember)

Rudy Galindo - The year that he won Sr. Nationals.

Tonia Harding - The year that she won Sr. Nationals with a 3axl.

Oksana Baiu - Swan Lake Olympic short program

Brian Boitano - 1988 Olympic free skate

Ryan Janke - 2004 National free skate.

DramaSwan
11-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

My list as of today:
Alexei Yagudin - Revolution Etude - Worlds 2001
Gordeeva & Grinkov - Olympics 1988
Gordeeva & Grinkov - Vocalise - World Pros 1994
Janet Lynn - Prelude... - 1984
Jeffrey Buttle - Elgar Concerto - NHK 2002
John Curry - Don Quixote - Olympics 1976
Oh my goodness this is great!
Karen Kwan - Close Without Touching - Nationals 1996
I had heard Michelle's sister was a skater but I didn't know she was so good! Maybe not the best jumps but really good artistry
Lu Chen - Rachmaninoff - Worlds 1996
Okay, okay. I like it better than I want to like it. I still don't get her really but I see why her fans go crazy sometimes. But it's not like she's always this good!
Michelle Kwan - Romanza - Worlds 1996
Why doesn't she do stuff like this anymore?
Oksana Baiul - Black Swan - Olympics 1994
Paul Wylie - Bring Him Home - World Pros
Paul Wylie - Carmina Burana - The Legends 1995
Have I mentioned that I LOVE PAUL WYLIE NOW?
Rudy Galindo - Swan Lake - Nationals 1996
Shen & Zhao - Turandot - Worlds 2003
Torvill & Dean - Bolero - Olympics 1984

I've DLed a couple of other things that are supposed to be great but didn't keep them. A couple are on MQSeries list, but I'll be nice. The way my friend described it I think the lights going out Paul Wylie Carmina Burana is the same as the Skates Two one that I've been looking for. Still no luck.

Emmaly
11-11-2004, 09:32 PM
How do u work Rink Side i cant get it to work??

John Q
11-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Kurt Browning's Casablanca 93 World's is worth watching again and again
Elvis Stojko's 1492 also

MQSeries
11-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Kurt Browning's Casablanca 93 World's is worth watching again and again
Elvis Stojko's 1492 also

I never thought Casablanca was that great of a program. I thought his short white jacket made him look like a waiter instead of Bogart. The cigarette smoking motion looked like the only part of the routine where he tried to be in character and hence it looked disjointed from the rest of the routine.

I much prefer Kurt's long programs for 1988 Calgary, 1989 World, and 1990 World (which was the same as his 1990's).

I only vaguely remember what Kurt skated to in 1991. It was to Italian-based music? and he did a 3sal-3loop in that program.

DramaSwan
11-13-2004, 01:03 AM
How do u work Rink Side i cant get it to work??
You have to follow the directions. I'm not being a jerk, honest. You have to be very very careful to follow the instructions exactly.