View Full Version : Will Sasha win Worlds next year?

kara
07-30-2002, 04:26 PM
I know there are a bunch of her fans here and, while I can't say that I'm one of them, I'm curious what the consensus is and what will happen. So, what do you think: can she deal with the pressure, stand up, and become World Champion in D.C.?

nits
07-30-2002, 05:09 PM
I think it's going to depend on who is there. I'd like to see Michelle Kwan attend Worlds and win. If Michelle isn't there, I think Sasha will probably win. With the focus on Sarah vs. Irina this season, Sasha might benefit and this really could be her year.

AxelAnnie22
07-30-2002, 05:36 PM
[color=indigo:c0055b9c5a]I think it is quite likely that Sasha can and will win Worlds. I think her real competition this year will be Irina, much as it used to be Irina/Michelle, we will see Sasha/Irina battling it out.

I think that Sasha's beautiful artistry, excellent technique and supberb skills will keep her at the top.

Sasha, over the last two years, has demonstrated her ability and determination to evaluate what she needs to work on, and then go back and actually work on it! I have no doubt that this year will see her skating "smart" as well as landing her jumps, including that beautiful 3/3.[/color:c0055b9c5a]

kara
07-30-2002, 05:50 PM
I read that Irina might not be doing Worlds now, but there seemed to be conflicting stories on that. Does anyone know what's going on there? I kind of think she won't be at Worlds b/c it's in the US and she'll have to defend her title and I don't know if she'll be up for that after SLC. Also, if her last year will be '05, I think she'll want to compete in '04, so this would be her only chance to take off if she needs a break. I get the feeling that Michelle will also take the year off, but of course these are just guesses.

Dustin
07-30-2002, 06:07 PM
As we learned at the Olympics, anyone can win. As a Sasha fan, I want her to win more than any skater but I won't make any judgements until at least the time of Nationals :)

Tigger
07-30-2002, 06:19 PM
I really like Sasha's skating, but as a few have pointed out...It all comes down to what happens on that day. SLC is a perfect example of that. I will be shocked beyond belief if I don't see her somewhere on that podium come DC though.

lrng to skt
07-30-2002, 07:13 PM
I think she stands a great chance. IMO she doesn't have that much trouble "holding it together" - once she got her skates back under her it was a mistake here and there but it didn't effect the rest of the performance that much - even at the Olympics.

A year ago many didn't think she'd ever be back - and she had a great year. Just getting to the Olympics was huge considering the ground she had to make up.

I have high hopes - and BTW - I find nothing objectionable about her personality at all...g

loveskating
07-30-2002, 07:44 PM
I don't predict, but Sasha Cohen is a contender, for sure. She has the goods, the accomplishment, the talent, so it depends on whether she can deliver for herself and also on what others do...as usual in skating.

I want her to win. She is my favorite, because element for element she is one of the best ever, and she skates with such passion (like Kulik or Artur Demietriev).

Her skating just makes me smile, a lot, down to every detail.

Scott
07-31-2002, 07:24 AM
Sasha certainly could be one of the top contenders at worlds this year but first she is going tohave to hold her ground and fight off all of her compeitiors at US nationals this year. Minor flaws in her performace against a strong field could keep her off the US National podium and therefore the question concerning worlds will be moot!

nutty-ducky
07-31-2002, 07:55 AM
well, i think that if sasha works on her 3/3 combinations then she could win the worlds, but if irina goes then she might not win the worlds. i think that irina and michelle are going to have a year off so the top competitors will be sarah, sasha and fumie. sasha could win the worlds. if michelle doesn't take a year off, it would be nice for her to win the worlds.

Blue Ridge
07-31-2002, 08:35 AM
[quote:c8d962b779="kara"]I read that Irina might not be doing Worlds now, but there seemed to be conflicting stories on that. Does anyone know what's going on there? I kind of think she won't be at Worlds b/c it's in the US and she'll have to defend her title and I don't know if she'll be up for that after SLC. Also, if her last year will be '05, I think she'll want to compete in '04, so this would be her only chance to take off if she needs a break. I get the feeling that Michelle will also take the year off, but of course these are just guesses.[/quote:c8d962b779]

Irina will be at Worlds to defend her title. And I think there is no question Sasha will make the podium. But I wouldn't count Sarah out. All three of them want that title. We'll see come March. It should be a great competition!

Tigger
07-31-2002, 12:41 PM
[quote:210f8f6ecc="Blue Ridge"]Irina will be at Worlds to defend her title. And I think there is no question Sasha will make the podium. But I wouldn't count Sarah out. All three of them want that title. We'll see come March. It should be a great competition![/quote:210f8f6ecc]

And when you factor Fumie into that equation....How far away is DC Worlds again!?! I also think if Sasha does end up working w/Tarasova, then the rest of the field have something to worry about. Tarasova is famous for highlighting her students strengths. When you think about Sasha's tenacity and her gorgeous moves in the fields.....I really hope they do get to work w/one another. The end result could be electric.

duane
07-31-2002, 01:22 PM
with her talent, with what appears to be respect from the International judges, and with Worlds being held in the United States (homecourt advantage), sasha could definitely win Worlds. However, i totally agree with Blue Ridge: dont count sarah out. she will be hungry to win her first Worlds' title.

if michelle also competes, one can never count her out. actually, i hope michelle does compete. assuming that these three ladies would make up the World team, this could be the first American sweep since 91!

Inside Edge
07-31-2002, 01:57 PM
The field is wide open if Michelle & Irina choose not to compete. Anything could happen. I think that everyone is underestimating Fumi. With a clean program and a 3/3 (of any kind), I think that her artistry could place her above the others. How I would love to see her win and have ABC show Midori with tears in her eyes as she did when Yuka won in 1994.

Does anyone know if Fumi will continue using Lori as her choreographer?

kara
07-31-2002, 03:33 PM
[quote="Blue Ridge"][quote:76b66a3e14="kara"] Irina will be at Worlds to defend her title. [/quote:76b66a3e14]

Are you giving your gut feeling or is there more behind your comment :D ? Thanks!

kara
07-31-2002, 03:38 PM
[quote:5191dc1106="Inside Edge"]

Does anyone know if Fumi will continue using Lori as her choreographer?[/quote:5191dc1106]

I'll be floored if she doesn't. IMO, her LP was the 2nd best LP of all the ladies, and she seems to gell very well with Lori. I'll be so excited to see Fumie live for the first time!

Blue Ridge
07-31-2002, 03:58 PM
[quote="kara"][quote:8e2e2502d3="Blue Ridge"][quote:8e2e2502d3="kara"] Irina will be at Worlds to defend her title. [/quote:8e2e2502d3]

Are you giving your gut feeling or is there more behind your comment :D ? Thanks![/quote:8e2e2502d3]

Here's the scoop: Irina has stated that she plans to compete in the GP since just after Worlds. She is competing in Cup of Russia and NHK. She has chosen her music and is working on her programs for the new competitive season. Incidentally, she will be skating in Kristi Yamaguchi's Salute to Gold in October and Katarina Witt's Divas on Ice in November.

Mistyeyed
08-01-2002, 06:27 AM
Not if Michelle K and Angela N. come back clean and strong :lol:

adrianchew
08-01-2002, 10:08 AM
[quote:81e66c8a0a="Mistyeyed"]Not if Michelle K and Angela N. come back clean and strong :lol:[/quote:81e66c8a0a]

A clean Sasha with a 3Z/3T will likely bring her to the top of a podium - clean MK and AN or not. ;)

lrng to skt
08-01-2002, 03:25 PM
If everyone skates clean it comes down to other variables, Cohen is an absolute possibility of beating any other female skater I can think of even skating clean. It will come down to what SHE is able to put down that day, none of the others are overall better to the point that just skating clean will rule Sasha out...g

kara
08-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Thank you, Blue Ridge! I look forward to seeing Irina at Worlds...I really didn't think she'd be there, so this is a nice surprise. Seeing her speed, spins, and jumps in person shows you why she beats people like Michelle...and Michelle is my favorite.

Thanks for all the replies...my opinion on Sasha's chances is that she feels it's important to make this her year and that could help her or hurt her. I guess we'll see! Should be a great ladies' event. :D