View Full Version : Has anyone had any success getting inside Michelle's head...

ARTIQUE
07-26-2002, 11:28 PM
yet, to figure out what was [b:a69541dcbe]REALLY[/b:a69541dcbe] behind the coachless decision?

Did you see any noticeable skating difference between MK w/Frank C . & the coachless MK, which could give any clues to their differing skating strategies?

The attempt of two 3/3 comb at SC was surprising, but I think that it was a reaction to the press more than a new strategy. Apart from taking out some of the footwork in Scherz & re-arranging the jump order, Michelle's skating remained essentially the same. So why did Michelle decide to rely on her own unproven coaching ability rather that the proven ability of an experienced coach?

Spinner
07-27-2002, 12:02 AM
This subject has been discussed to death and only 2 people know the answer...MK and Frank. We've already heard from them all we'll ever hear.

Spinner

AxelAnnie22
07-27-2002, 09:10 AM
[color=darkblue:b1108d3902]I have always thought that Michelle just didn't want to do what Frank was telling her she HAD to do if she wanted to win in SLC.

I would assume that each year it has been more and more difficult to come back from the summer and start training. For Michelle, who is at the beginning of her adult life, and is enjoying all the perks and fun and freedom that comes with fame and money, it is all quite heady. Add to that a new boyfriend, and you have the end of COI, where you are treated like a queen, and the beginning of the Olympic year -the most difficult in your career, you have warring interests going on inside your head.

On the one hand, you have been winning for as long as you (or anyone else) can remember, and on the other hand, you have your coach (and probably family) telling you (and quite correctly) that if you want to win, you are going to have to put your new life on hold, and work harder than you have ever worked in your life.

I don't think it is all that complex. Michelle wanted to win, but she didn't want to do what she had to do to win. You can see evidence of this over the last four years. Michelle knew she had to up the technical content, but never did. After Sarah, Sasha, and a revitalized Irina, it was very clear that Michelle's artistry was no longer enough to top the speed, jumps and consistency of the other skaters.

So, you have a 21 year old young lady who is having a wonderful time and enjoying some well earned perks and frame (to say nothing of freedom and a boyfriend), arrive in Australia, basically not ready for the season. And, it showed. This was the Olympic year. This was not business as usual. I can imagine the kinds of conversations Frank, whose job was to prepare Michelle, and Michelle who simply didn't want to hear it.

Could have gone two ways - buckle down and do what your coach said, or fire the guy!

Think about football players. Those guys must hate coming back after their summer breaks, all rested and healthy, and facing the rigors or getting ready - again - for the season. They probably want to fire the coach too!

I don't think Michelle's decision came from the fact that she thought she had developed a better strategy for coaching herself, and for developing her programs for the OLY year. I just think she didn't want to have anybody telling her what to do.

BTW - there is nothing inherently wrong with that decision. Just not really smart if your goal is to win OLY gold. [/color:b1108d3902]

Hannahclear
07-27-2002, 09:57 AM
The only problem with that theory is this: when Michelle is out of shape, it shows. I can instantly tell, by one look, if she is in shape or out. She looked out of shape at '99 worlds, and at the GWG this year. However, her weight was spot, championship form on, at the later competitions. I'm not implying Michelle is heavy, goodness knows how tiny she is, but it's easy to see when she is at her "fighting weight". And she was during this season.
Also, it's not true that she didn't change anything, she has consistently placed a 3lutz/2loop in ever LP this season.
I don't know why she left Frank, and we will never know, but I don't think it was that simple. My personal theory is that I believe what she said, "take responsibility of my skating". She wanted independance, and regardless of the results, I will support her in whatever she chooses.

hiliairyh
07-27-2002, 11:30 AM
[quote:f75d689ff4="Spinner"]This subject has been discussed to death and only 2 people know the answer...MK and Frank. We've already heard from them all we'll ever hear.

Spinner[/quote:f75d689ff4]

Thanks spinner, ITA. people are free to speculate and project into Frank and Michelle whatever they want to project. :) It tells us nothing about the coach and the skater though.

ARTIQUE
07-27-2002, 02:34 PM
Spinner

I am well aware that this subject has been discussed at length, however, I was trying to find out if the coachless decision became clearer to anyone after most of the uproar had settled & the skating season had ended.

AxelAnnie & Hannahclear

My theory is similar to yours in that I believe that the content of Michelle's LP & the choice of her SP may have been the sticking point between MK & FC. I get a gut feeling that MK wanted a more minimalistic LP than FC. It appears that Michelle was torn between going for it all with all the personal investment that would entail, or approaching the Olympics as just another competition. I do not believe that MK was out of shape, but I think her technique was not as finely tuned as it was in 2001 worlds. Maybe we will find out more details if MK, FC or a reporter writes a book on this Olympic season.

gracefulswan
07-27-2002, 06:01 PM
yes, i do believe it had a LOT to do with training issues...that kwan wanted a bit more leeway and freedom from frank's coaching demands. frank wanted to coach her to an olympic gold and he made no bones about it. but kwan was just not going to listen to him...didn't agree with his strategy. i recall that i heard something along this line on tv. basically the commentator speculated that this was a likely cause.

i personally feel that kwan had many more distractions and interests then she did 4 years ago and was not as focused as she ought to have been in order to deliver a winning performance....even though, no doubt, she desperately longed for the olympic title.

Gaela
07-27-2002, 07:47 PM
Who knows? I suppose it is possible that it was related to program content and training habits, and also to wanting more personal freedom and not being told what to do. I am sure her reasons are valid--I am sure too that she knew the dangers of being coachless going to the Olympics, and took the risk. You gotta wonder if all the hype and pressure was just a bit much the second time around--maybe she just couldn't pull it together and her heart just wasn't invested as much as last time, too

When Elvis left Doug Lee, it was much similar--he had more freedom with Uschi, didn't really evolve technically, but I still thought he was perfect person to skate Gladiator and felt that Yags sort of stole the show on that one. Of course it was his right, and Abt skated to it too. But no better Gladiator than Elvis IMO, had he been healthy he could have expressed the guts of the gladiator's fight better than anyone

Skaters grow emotionally just like people, and I imagine a skater tries to gain independent from a coach they started with as an adolescent, just as one does from one's parents.

Debbie S
07-27-2002, 10:33 PM
[quote:219b2add75="AxelAnnie22"]
I don't think it is all that complex. Michelle wanted to win, but she didn't want to do what she had to do to win. You can see evidence of this over the last four years. Michelle knew she had to up the technical content, but never did. After Sarah, Sasha, and a revitalized Irina, it was very clear that Michelle's artistry was no longer enough to top the speed, jumps and consistency of the other skaters. [/quote:219b2add75]

Except that Michelle's non-upped tech content was enough to win 2 world titles, not to mention 4 nat'l ones. And, in hindsight, it would have been enough to win the Olys. :(

Unless Michelle or Frank writes a tell-all book, which is unlikely, we'll probably never know what really went on. From some posts on MKF who skate/know skaters and coaches in the L.A. area, and from Frank's (shall we say delicate) comments after the split, it seems that Michelle's father had a larger role in her decision than was openly stated in any article at the time. Of course, this is all speculation, but I imagine there were probably larger issues than Michelle's motivation or work ethic - although that certainly may have been part of it.

I don't know if Frank really would have made a difference. I'd like to think he could have helped her w/ the technique on the 3 flip and the 3/3, but who knows exactly what the problem was w/ the jumps in her LP? MK's certainly had bad performances when she was w/ Frank; I don't know if things would have turned out differently.

Dustin
07-27-2002, 10:50 PM
I think Frank could have made a difference at the Olympics. Michelle had been having trouble with the flip during practices (according to a coach with NBC press credentials that visited practices), but Michelle couldn't fix it on her own.

Like many have said, I think one of the reasons for the split was Michelle and Frank not agreeing on the best way to reach her goal - Olympic Gold. But we will never know the real reason unless we can talk to one of them about it personally.

nits
07-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Well, Michelle attempted the two 3/3 combos at Skate Canada, after she left Frank. I think this shows that Michelle was more than willing to put in the 3/3's,if she could land them consistently, to win. I never had the impression that Frank was pushing her and she didn't want to do what it took. If anything, I always spectulated that it was just the opposite. In the end, we can all assume what we want, but we'll never know.
Michelle isn't the first skater to decide not to work with a specific coach, or get a new choreographer. However, I think she got a lot of criticism for her actions that weren't necessary.

bleu
07-28-2002, 03:05 PM
Artique - I saw an interview of hers with CTV regarding this coach issue. Tracy Wilson(I believe) asked her why did she fire Frank. Well, Michele simply said "I wanted to control my skating".

I gather she wanted some freedom. Maybe in 1998, alot of people in her training camp were pulling her in all directions...telling her to do this and that. The lack of freedom must have affected her performance.

loveskating
07-29-2002, 07:54 AM
[quote:0a669105f4="bleu"]I gather she wanted some freedom. Maybe in 1998, alot of people in her training camp were pulling her in all directions...telling her to do this and that. The lack of freedom must have affected her performance.[/quote:0a669105f4]

That would have had to be between Nationals and the Olympics in 1998, then, since her skating at Nationals was brilliant.

I agree this is speculation...don't think we will ever know specifics...unless they both write books and agree, or if they both write books and disagree, we can "take sides".

I agree with Dustin, though...her flip was "off" at SLC, and that is precisely where a coach can really help...there is a lot of drift in the muscle memory, and the skater does not always see it, even when they constantly check their patterns on the ice or video themselves.

Also, I simply do not think its a good idea for an amateur competitor to go around without a coach. Its fine for the pros...because something quite different has historically been demanded in the pros, but for her or anyone else, across the board, it ain't a good idea at all.

duane
07-29-2002, 01:03 PM
[quote:489595f62d="Debbie S"]Unless Michelle or Frank writes a tell-all book, which is unlikely...[/quote:489595f62d]

personally, i can definitely see frank deciding to "spill the beans" with a tell-all book...perhaps once he decides to retire from coaching. frank has always been somewhat vocal in his opinions, and i can see his book discussing not only his relationship/break-up with michelle, but his belief that there is a russian bias in judging. it would [b:489595f62d]definitely[/b:489595f62d] be one book that i would read! :D

hiliairyh
08-03-2002, 12:41 PM
[quote:a18d7b9425="duane"][quote:a18d7b9425="Debbie S"]Unless Michelle or Frank writes a tell-all book, which is unlikely...[/quote:a18d7b9425]

personally, i can definitely see frank deciding to "spill the beans" with a tell-all book...perhaps once he decides to retire from coaching. frank has always been somewhat vocal in his opinions, and i can see his book discussing not only his relationship/break-up with michelle, but his belief that there is a russian bias in judging. it would [b:a18d7b9425]definitely[/b:a18d7b9425] be one book that i would read! :D[/quote:a18d7b9425]

I won't be surprise if both Frank and Michelle will be writing books. Michelle too may write a book, since the parting with Frank, the press and some internet posters were quick to judge, practically calling her Benedictine Arnold. It was a career decison, she took resposibilities for the decision and the Olympic consequence. IMHO, that is just part of growing up, trial and error. Unfortunately she did not receive too much benefit of the doubt from press and some internet posters.

Duane, I agree, if Frank writes a book, I will definitely read. :)