View Full Version : Skaters you "changed your mind" on

Yazmeen
07-24-2002, 09:00 AM
Here's an interesting thing to ponder: What skaters have you "changed your mind" about? Learning to like a skater you didn't care for, or recognizing talent in a non-favorite, etc.

Here are mine: I used to think Sasha Cohen was overhyped and rather obnoxious; however, after seeing her really WORK this past year to improve her edges and overall skating, and especially after seeing her at Olympics and Worlds, I couldn't help but be impressed. She also won me over with her gracious manner in handling just off the podium finishes at both events. No whining or griping, just, in essence "I didn't skate as well as I would have liked to, and I'll work harder for next time." I'm definitely becoming a fan now.

Ann Patrice McDonough: I was the one who started the thread about her postcards for autographing at F$W last year (Wissahickon competition), which I thought was a bit presumptious. Since then, I've come to realize she is really a nice young woman with excellent skating skills and great potential, who is very complimentary toward her fellow skaters. Again, I wuz way wrong!!!

Sometimes its good to get past first impressions.

AxelAnnie22
07-24-2002, 09:39 AM
[color=darkblue:be73517510]Good question. I think sometimes you hear so much about a skater being the best thing since sliced breat, that by the time you see them.........you are left wondering.

I have come to appreciate Jenny as she matures. I certainly admire the things I have read that she has written. And, she is working hard on her skating quality as well as style.

Beatrisa Liang is another I have come to admire. The first year I was left quite cold.....but this last year, I could really enjoy watching her "plunk" as she skates.

Fumie Saguri and Yuka Sato are two skaters I have grown to really like. I think I needed more education regarding the finer points of skating to be able to appreciate the quiet edging, subtle power, and gorgeous strength of their skating.

[/color:be73517510]

calypso56
07-24-2002, 10:26 AM
:) I have changed my mind about Jennifer Robinson.

In the past 2 years she has shown guts and a determination to overcome her skating problems. Her self-confidence has grown tremendously. I just love to see that "killer" look on her face when she takes to the ice. It always means that a great skate will follow.

I now think she is a worthy Canadian champion and a great example to female skaters.

RoseAugust
07-24-2002, 10:44 AM
The skater who comes immediately to my mind is Plushy. In 1998 I announced to my family that he was my new favorite male skater, then made them watch a tape of his exhibition skate over and over and over! (Being an avid Balkan folkdancer, I love the folk type skating programs.) Within two years, I had changed my mind. He no longer grabbed me. Well, he totally grabbed me at COI a couple of weekends ago! I fell in love with the power and drama of his skating all over again.

Dustin
07-24-2002, 10:55 AM
Plushenko... until I saw him this year in COI, I didn't really care for his skating, but he can really present himself and he is really exciting.

speedy
07-24-2002, 11:16 AM
I feel the opposite about Plushy...I remember a couple of years ago I really enjoyed watching him skate. Now I can't stand his skating, especially the way he's been Mishin-ized. I used to not be a big fan of Yagudin, now he's one of my faves.

Xiaoxue
07-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze.

I thought they were all substance and no flare up until I saw Chaplin. In this program, I saw a whole range of expressions from them that i had never seen before in their previous programs. I thought those programs were lacking because they didn't draw out a variation of expressions from the skaters. Since 2001, i became convinced that it was not the skaters, but the programs that were the problem. I have enjoyed watching B/S immensely ever since.

That's all i can think of for now.

Lee
07-24-2002, 12:06 PM
[quote:9c50f19128="speedy"]I feel the opposite about Plushy...I remember a couple of years ago I really enjoyed watching him skate. Now I can't stand his skating, especially the way he's been Mishin-ized. I used to not be a big fan of Yagudin, now he's one of my faves.[/quote:9c50f19128]

LOL...you sure you weren't inside my brain, speedy?

I wouldn't go as far as to say I can't [i:9c50f19128]stand[/i:9c50f19128] Plushy's skating; it's more like I'm really not all that impressed with his choreography (or his sit spins, for that matter ;)). I enjoyed his flambouyancy a couple years ago, but now it's like his programs are stylistically confused or something -- too frenetic and hard on the head (well, not really hard on the head, but..)

Yags has REALLY grown on me in the past couple years. I think working with Tarasova and spending a season touring with Scott Hamilton and Kurt Browning (CSOI 2001) really helped him with the 'artistic/interpretive' side of his skating. His presentation skills were already very good, but now he's got the vehicle/choreography and the ability to drive that home to his audiences. Just gotta get him outside those blue lines more! ;)

Debbie S
07-24-2002, 12:45 PM
Yagudin definitely. When he first came on the elite scene, I wasn't that impressed with his skating. I also didn't care much for his personality, especially after the reports of his getting kicked off COI, and just the general way he conducted himself. But over the past 2 years or so, I've come to love his skating. I agree - the touring and his work w/Tarasova have helped him tremendously. Giving all the interviews and learning how to endear himself to the public haven't hurt, either. And although I won't see him at Worlds ( :( ), I'm looking forward to seeing him at SOI, since he hasn't come to my city on COI for quite a few years.

I have also come to really appreciate Sasha.

I wasn't completely sold on Michelle Kwan when she first started skating at the top level. I thought she was a great skater, but she seemed overly "programmed" to me, not just skating wise, but off-ice too. Her Salome program was fabulous, but I remember being torn b/c I loved Lu Chen's 96 Worlds performance, not to mention her music. I was thrilled MK won, but I was also disappointed for LC. But that fall, I started to realize how gifted MK was, both technically and artistically. And as many people here have probably figured out, she is my fave skater. :)

Sarah Hughes, OTOH, was a skater that I really loved her first season or so in seniors. Of course, I realized that she still had many improvements to make, but it was probably the fact that she was a young skater who knew (or was at least trying) how to do more than just jump. I guess in many ways, she appeared to be the anti-Tara. Now, that I've become more aware of her tech flaws, and have seen her compete in person at the last two Nats, I'm not as sold on her as I was. Yes, I think she had the best LP at the Olys, and I'm happy for her that she won, but I just can't get completely over her flaws.

loveskating
07-24-2002, 12:54 PM
I was reading this thread and realized that with one single exception, I never dislike a skater except for 1. stripping on the ice or similar things or 2. off ice games with competitors of a serious nature (trying to ruin a fellow human being's life with a dirty trick is just cruel to me, and I can't go along).

I pretty much love them all and certainly I respect them all, think only that they have this or that problem, diffiuclty, are at this level, etc....I love Plushy, for instance, consider him a master of skating and incredible, but I do agree he has been skating Mishin's vision, not his own...and I'd like to see the real Plushenko at some point...but that doens't make me dislike him at all.

The one exception was Tara. I didn't like the bye being denied to Nicole, who was the Worlds bronze medalist at the time, and Tara was so young... I somehow got caught up in all the issues of youth and skating and went from there further and further off the flag...took me months of soul searching and her wonderful performance in that clown number at SOI in 1999 to get my mind back in gear and realize I was being a total, complete jerk.

I love Tara now, and appreciate what she did, which was very exceptional (has anyone seen any 3/3 loops lately), she has become a very fluid, beauitful skater as she has matured and that, along with her joyfulness is a really powerful combinaton...and I also loved her going for the footwork last season, and of all the 9/11 programs, hers was the only one that truly moved me...

Show 42
07-24-2002, 01:06 PM
After attending COI last night in Fresno, Cal., I can say that I am totally blown away by Plushenko. I had admired him in the past, but he had by far the most incredible performance of the evening. He connected with the audience, landed at least four triple jumps and an amazing triple axel in the center of the rink. He had flair, drama, poise, and he absolutely OWNED the ice.......I can now say that I am a "Plushy" fan.......

Emanfan
07-24-2002, 01:18 PM
I have, since the "get go", been a fan of Evgeny Plushenko. I think he is simply the best in the world (notwithstanding his Olympic problems). To that end, I always found myself on the other side of Yagudin. I found him arrogant and self-centered - at times, petulant and rude and a bad sport. Then, I thought to myself, that is not fair. Give him a fair chance and judge him on his own merits (not those of Plushenko). So, off I went to Stars on Ice in Vancouver and there he was. Not the arrogant Yags we sometimes see, but someone really happy to be where he was and that all those people seemed to realize just how hard he worked to get there and, more particularly, happy with all those crazed women.

After that performance, I saw a different Alexei and I appreciate him more now. I can "see the forest for the trees" if you will. I still maintain that Plush is the superior skater and the more natural talent, but
my mind has been changed about Yags and I'm happy for that.

Tigger
07-24-2002, 01:44 PM
This has only happened to me w/two skaters. Elena Bechke and Denis Petrov. I remember not exactly hating them, but feeling rather bored while watching them as eligibles. They just seemed very boring and the cookie cutter Soviet/Russian pair. Techinically sound, but nothing there to really grab you. Then I saw them live in CSOI in the spring of 1994 and I remember thinking to myself, "Good Lord is [i:70aee86867]this[/i:70aee86867] the same pair I've been watching all these years!?!". I could not believe what I was seeing. They just floored me and I was a fan from that point on. In fact, I remember telling a friend of mine who went to her first CSOI w/me in 97 they would be one of *the* highlights of the show and she looked at me like I was nuts. She changed her tune after the show. I really miss seeing them skate, but I'm glad I had the chance to see them and change my thinking about them.

I have this feeling I would have felt the same way about Brian Boitano. I never did see Brian B live and I think my problem w/Brian is to me, he doesn't come across the TV very well. Mind you, that's *me*. I have a feeling if I'd had the chance to see him skate live, I would have changed my mind about his skating.

jeffisjeff
07-24-2002, 01:50 PM
[quote:314a0559a4="Yazmeen"] I used to think Sasha Cohen was overhyped and rather obnoxious; however, after seeing her really WORK this past year to improve her edges and overall skating, and especially after seeing her at Olympics and Worlds, I couldn't help but be impressed. She also won me over with her gracious manner in handling just off the podium finishes at both events. No whining or griping, just, in essence "I didn't skate as well as I would have liked to, and I'll work harder for next time." I'm definitely becoming a fan now. [/quote:314a0559a4]

I agree 100% on this.

olivia
07-24-2002, 02:03 PM
Plushenko. If you haven't seen him in person, you simply must! Some skaters just don't come across well on TV; others come across better on TV than in person. Plushenko is an example of the former ... to the extreme. He is an amazing skater to see live. I think, before seeing him at COI, I thought of him as too gimmicky and off-the-wall (although I always appreciated his technical prowess ... much more so than Yagudin's). Ok, I admit, I was wrong. He's simply an incredible skater... period.

O-

leap of faith
07-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Elena and Anton - I never understood why they would win even with major mistakes. I now see the edge, speed, style and such grace that everything is done (except for the 3-twist, that still makes me nervous)

Marina and Gwendal - I only like B&K and did no understand why A&P passed them in 1998. 1999 though I really began to like them.

nits
07-24-2002, 04:37 PM
For me it would be: Yagudin. I didn't like him at all at first. I think I believed all the reports of his cockiness, and I didn't like what I heard. However, his skating ability is amazing, and he is an excellent performer! He is now one of my favorite skaters.
On the opposite, I used to adore Irina. I loved her friendly rivalry with Michelle Kwan and thought she was a gracious competitor and good skater. After the Olympics, Irina showed a different side. Irina has made snide remarks about both Kwan and Hughes, and I thought that was very inappropriate. She also whined about losing Worlds '01, and the Olympic gold. Why she thinks she won either event is beyond me. Her skating isn't enough to hold me as a fan anymore. She is really losing her techincal edge she used to have (when she was "on"). I liked her much better when she didn't whine as much and let her skating do the talking. Or is it just that we were never provided with links to the Russian news before and just didn't know the real Irina??

Emanfan
07-24-2002, 05:28 PM
I think that unless you are speaking with Irina directly, you shouldn't believe everything you read or hear. Everyone on this planet has a dark side and we don't live their extremely pressure-filled lives. I think we should give them some benefit of the doubt, especially if we consider ourselves a "fan".

loveskating
07-24-2002, 06:06 PM
[quote:c93a2888b5="nits"]For me it would be: Yagudin. I didn't like him at all at first. I think I believed all the reports of his cockiness, and I didn't like what I heard. However, his skating ability is amazing, and he is an excellent performer! He is now one of my favorite skaters.
On the opposite, I used to adore Irina. I loved her friendly rivalry with Michelle Kwan and thought she was a gracious competitor and good skater. After the Olympics, Irina showed a different side. Irina has made snide remarks about both Kwan and Hughes, and I thought that was very inappropriate. She also whined about losing Worlds '01, and the Olympic gold. Why she thinks she won either event is beyond me. Her skating isn't enough to hold me as a fan anymore. She is really losing her techincal edge she used to have (when she was "on"). I liked her much better when she didn't whine as much and let her skating do the talking. Or is it just that we were never provided with links to the Russian news before and just didn't know the real Irina??[/quote:c93a2888b5]

Just wondering if its necessary to use such harsh language as "whine"? Its not as if other skaters (and/or their coaches) have not complained about the wins of others...for instance, Frank Carroll about Irina's win at GP Finals when she landed two 3/3s, including the first 3 lutz/3 loop by a lady ever, and I can think of many other examples by virtually all the skaters and/or their coaches or "teams".

Valid arguments can be made in most of these cases as they were often quite close calls so it doesn't seem right to say that its beyond the pale that Irina would have been upset about SLC or Worlds 2001!

duane
07-24-2002, 06:12 PM
philippe candeloro
sure, there is a lot of posing, mugging, and flirting. but i now appreciate that he always goes out of his way to entertain the audience. i love how his programs tell a story, and he plays the characters to the hilt.

chen lu
when i first became a fan of FS in 94 (thanks to the famous WACK), i wasnt at all impressed with lulu's 94 Olympic performance, or her skating. now, i watch her 94 olympic LP more than any other that year, and cannot believe that i didnt notice her brilliance as a skater (nor her classic delayed rotation jump technique!)

g&g
oh, how i thought n&a were robbed at the 94 olympics! i thought g&g were "cute"---and that's it. i saw nothing special about them. with me now thinking that they are THE pairs team that all others should strive to be, i guess it means my opinion has changed. :)

timothy goebel and sarah hughes.
i didnt like either skater when they first burst onto the scene. i thought both were gawky, choppy skaters. today, i think, even with the [b:1112fff24c]vast[/b:1112fff24c] improvements in their skating and all they have accomplished, they are both still greatly underrated.

olivia
07-24-2002, 06:42 PM
loveskating: I think the comparison is not valid (a skater complaining versus a skater's coach complaining). Coaches do a lot more than coach, as I'm sure you know, they do quite a lot of politiking also and you'll frequently find many of them advocating for their skaters because it's not considered quite proper for the skater to be advocating for themselves.

O-

Artemis
07-24-2002, 07:47 PM
In the first category (learning to like skaters I previously didn't like): Marina and Gwendel. Especially their free dances. All I saw was stroke-stroke-trick, stroke-stroke-trick. I thought they were highly over-rated. I only really started to like and appreciate them in the past couple of years. The fact that they turned from rising stars into hard-done-by underdogs in a few competitions might have had something to do with it!

In the second category (used to like, then changed mind): Paul Wylie. I rooted for him throughout his amateur career (another underdog :wink: ), was thrilled with his Olympic triumph. I also liked his first season or two as a pro. But although technically he stayed pretty much on top of his game, he really stagnated artistically, and every program started to look exactly the same. It got to the point where I was yelling at the TV for him to just go to law school already!

kwanette
07-24-2002, 08:22 PM
There are very few skaters over the years that I have changed my mind about.

One is Todd Eldredge. I was a big Bowman, Wylie, Browning fan and I found Todd's skating in the early 90's to be pretty boring. I didn't like his musical choices.I began to change my opinion during the 94 GWG's. He is now one of my favorites. I love his skating and his character.

Brian Boitano is another. I always rooted for Brian Orser, but when I saw BB at 88 Nats with his two great programs I viewed him differently.I had always thought some of his programs and exhibitions were silly and didn't capture the majesty that was to come later.He is one of my all-time favorites and a nice guy to boot.

valleygirl
07-24-2002, 08:32 PM
Tara Lipinski! I never "hated" her, but I was not a fan by any means. But after seeing her come so far with her artistry this year, I am so impressed. I love that she is working wiht Lori Nichols and I love that she has really challenged herself with footwork and artistry this year. It's too bad she was hampered by her hips. I think she could have been one of the greats in the sport with the combination of her amazing jumps of 98 and her gorgeous artistry of 02.

loveskating
07-24-2002, 08:53 PM
[quote:46997e782b="olivia"]loveskating: I think the comparison is not valid (a skater complaining versus a skater's coach complaining). Coaches do a lot more than coach, as I'm sure you know, they do quite a lot of politiking also and you'll frequently find many of them advocating for their skaters because it's not considered quite proper for the skater to be advocating for themselves.

O-[/quote:46997e782b]

I feel the comparison was valid because the main issue I was raising was using harsh language, e.g. "whine", no matter who is doing the complaining! Secondarily, my issue is why single Irina out?

But making your distinction, I know of no top SKATER(S) who has not publicly complained of a loss, or even marks, either by gesture, tears, comment, innuendo, thumbs down, demand for arbitration, etc. etc. etc. Therefore, to single Irina out seems unfair to me (she DID complain, no doubt about that). Its fine with me if someone doesn't like skaters (or coaches) to complain of marks or a loss...but then it seems they ought not to single one skater out for this, and ought not to use such harsh language even if they do.

Personally, one of the ways I've resolved everything that happened at SLC is that they ALL complain, so I'm used to it, LOL! Its become the norm to complain of your marks or placement.

cygnus
07-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Well I used to like Candeloro as an amateur, but I have to force myself to not leave the room when he's on the ice now- I wish he would just skate, and forget the costume changes, the overly dramatic stuff, and KEEP HIS CLOTHES ON for a change.

OTOH Yagudin, Hamilton and Eldridge have grown on me over the years.

CMc
07-24-2002, 10:31 PM
This is a tough one because when I dislike a skater, I REALLY dislike them and most of the time it's for personal reasons. And then there have been the ones that just grew on me over time. ;)

But I'd have to say if I've changed my mind about anybody, it's Michelle Kwan. Even though she's at a crossroads now with her competitive career, there's a part of me that wishes I could see her in competition without having to compete with Sarah (which of course automatically makes me biased for obvious reasons) and just be able to do what she has done before so brilliantly. I have to admit, the first time I saw Michelle on TV, she told the TV audience that she greatly admired Tonya Harding, and that left such a bad impression on me, because this was right after the knee-bashing, and anyone that felt sorry for Nancy Kerrigan didn't want to hear that coming from anybody. So I've been a bit biased against Michelle all these years because of that, and I guess I should have realized she greatly admired Tonya the skater more so than Tonya the person. That memory has been sort of tucked away and never really surfaced again until I noticed somebody mentioned it in FSW recently before they went non-free on us! :lol:
Even with my favorite being the winner, and even though I felt Michelle did the wrong thing firing Frank before the Olys, I loved her FOG at the Olys, and I felt sad for her when she cried.

nits
07-24-2002, 10:37 PM
I never really thought the term "whine" was harsh. Is complain better? Or is it still considered "harsh" by some? Also, Loveskating, I did NOT single Irina out, I simply answered the topic of the original question, which is stating which skaters I changed my mind about during the course of their careers...and why. I don't think it's being harsh, and I don't think it's a bash towards Irina. I simply stated my reasons, just as several others have stated their reasons. I think everyone that has responded to this thread has discussed skaters and their reasons, so I am not the only one. My opinion of Irina may be different than yours, but that does NOT mean my opinion is wrong or invalid.
And I am still confused as to why "whine" is now considered a "harsh" word. I apologize to the moderators if "whine" is harsh, but as far as I knew it was an acceptable term used quite frequently.

adrianchew
07-24-2002, 10:45 PM
[quote:1a1c4a165d="nits"]I never really thought the term "whine" was harsh.[/quote:1a1c4a165d]

[i:1a1c4a165d]I've been leery towards this topic as a whole and almost put in a response myself with regards to the wording. Please, can we try to avoid unnecessarily critical viewpoints? Thanks. ~adrianchew~[/i:1a1c4a165d]

A.H.Black
07-25-2002, 12:05 AM
Kwanette, I'm with you about Todd. In 1990 when I saw him win Nationals, I didn't think he would ever grow on me. Like you, it was 1994 that began to change my mind.

Yazmeen
07-25-2002, 08:49 AM
Adrien: I understand your point. When I started the thread, I hoped it would stay in a positive vein. I think most everyone has been pretty positive. Its so interesting to see how some of us have developed "new favorites" and learned to not to let one or two things a skater might say get in the way of enjoying them and their skating. I think this thread actually shows some interesting growth on the part of the fans!

I also have to state that I learned to like both Yags and Plushy in the past two years, though most especially Yagudin. He has certainly grown up and become both a mature and elegant skater and person. And Plushy, good grief, that smile makes me melt!! He should bottle it---its potent enough to do the world a lot of good!

JDC1
07-25-2002, 09:50 AM
I'd say I really didn't ge the hype about Tara, I thought everything she did was tiny and quick, great for jumps but not for the over all program. However, I think she has gotten much better and I like her, I don't automatically leave the room or turn the channel anymore when she skates. I'd like to see Chris Dean or someone else choreograph for her, Lori's programs didn't really "grab" me.

Add Sasha to the list, I didn't understand the hype and thought it was overblown then I saw her at GWG and I thought "okay, I get it". I am really looking forward to her next year.

Without going into details I have changed my mind about Irina, for some of the same reasons already mentioned, and I was NEVER a fan of her overall skating, but I adored her bubblyness and spirit but I am soured on her after the OLYS.

CMc
07-25-2002, 10:25 AM
I have to say that even though I'm not a huge fan of either Yags or Plushy, they've grown on me a bit as well. Alexei IS so much more mature now than before, and that makes it much easier to respect him (Not to mention he's near my neck of the woods here in CT), and Yevgeny's definitely come a long way from when he was so brand new to COI, I chose him as my bathroom break! ;)

gracefulswan
07-25-2002, 06:10 PM
plushenko: when he first burst onto the FS scene, i didn't really take him that seriously...thought he was young and immature... but now, after i saw he folk dance routine in his break-through year, i was completely sold. the guy is incredibly talented! the only thing that will ever hold him back is are nerves and/or health. otherwise, the future is in the palm of his hands. and a bright one at that!

sarah: before last season i thought she would go nowhere. what with all the hype i kept hearing about how sasha will blow past her soon...it almost convinced me. now, after the olympics, i have a new respect for her nerves of steel and unmatched consistency. she can very well win another olympic title and future world titles.

kirk: i now see oodles of talent from this kid. she just has to blossom with her innate artistry, much like kwan did back in '96

ann patrice: she also has so much potential. it should be interesting to see how she and kirk fare these next 4 years compared to sasha and sarah.

ILoveAllSkaters
07-25-2002, 08:13 PM
When I first saw her live, I never thought I would become a full-fledged fan of Michelle Kwan. She did grow on me however.

When my family and I watched nationals in 1996, and I caught her on TV, I really started to become interested in Michelle's skating. Worlds did it for me even more when she skated to "Romanza"; it was a good program and one I truly loved. Not to mention that her costume (which was red) was also great.

She had plenty of style -- and also [b:8abbf07baf]attitude.[/b:8abbf07baf] Those were two very good items in her and her skating. :D

The latter part was especially true in her short program for 1996, which was why I loved it so much. The long program, which she skated to "Salome" in character, was obviously just as good. It's no wonder, then, that Michelle won skating to it.

To sum it all up over the years:
[color=purple:8abbf07baf]SHE MADE ME SO PROUD.[/color:8abbf07baf]

kwanette
07-27-2002, 09:00 PM
It was mentioned a few times that Tanya Harding was MK's idol, one she looked up to, etc. However, I never heard it said AFTER the knee-whacking. While it was mentioned at 94 Nationals, it was said before it was known that Tanya and Co. had anything to do with the attack on Nancy.I have all of MK's Nats and Worlds on tape and most of her other GP competitions. If MK said this after 94 Nats, I must have missed it. Do you happen to know when she said it? Thanks a lot.

Miezekatze
07-28-2002, 04:01 AM
Vanessa Gusmeroli, I never liked her skating, but she grew on me over the last couple of years.

CMc
07-28-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by kwanette
It was mentioned a few times that Tanya Harding was MK's idol, one she looked up to, etc. However, I never heard it said AFTER the knee-whacking. While it was mentioned at 94 Nationals, it was said before it was known that Tanya and Co. had anything to do with the attack on Nancy.I have all of MK's Nats and Worlds on tape and most of her other GP competitions. If MK said this after 94 Nats, I must have missed it. Do you happen to know when she said it? Thanks a lot.

I just barely remember it, but I think it was during a fluff piece that she said this, and, yes, it was shown during the 94 Nats because after the piece she was asked briefly about Nancy's condition, and I think I remember her saying something like "I hope she's ok".
And it may not have been known, but it was highly speculated that Harding was being implicated in the attack.

¤Sweetie¤
07-28-2002, 09:21 AM
I changed my mind about Sasha Cohen. I figured that after 2000 Nationals, she would become a one-time wonder. :mrgreen: I'm happy she's not :D
Also, Chait & Saknovsky. I really didn't like them after they beat Drobiazko & Vanagas at Skate America, but I do think that they WON the Bronze at worlds (I'm in the minority, I'm sure ;))

Sadly, my opinion of Salé & Pelletier was always confusing. I'm sure they're great people, but their skating just bugs me. My opinion of them went downhill after Nationals, and I'm kind of glad they turned Professional (No offence to any of their fans!! :oops: )

kwanette
07-28-2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks, I will have to dig my 94 Nats tape out.

adrianchew
07-28-2002, 10:11 PM
I'll play along I guess...

[b:15f58272c0]Sasha Cohen[/b:15f58272c0] - I hadn't seen her 2000 US Nationals performance, but heard all the good stuff. Somehow I though she was gonna be like NNN (whom I haven't seen her 1999 US Nationals performance either) - and was just all "hype" and got lucky (DUH! - how wrong can a guy be?).

So I did watch with an open mind during '00-01 Nations Cup and Cup of Russia... and the very first moment I saw her, it totally clicked! - She didn't finish that well in the GP, but even then - I could see it so clearly - WOW! 8O

Note - I have since watched 2000 US Nats (yay!) but not 1999 US Nats - so NNN is kinda like a mystery to me till today.

[b:15f58272c0]Oksana Baiul/Nancy Kerrigan[/b:15f58272c0] - I was studying in Michigan when the whack/thwack saga happened so I clearly heard the news many times over. Was rooting for Nancy at the '94 Olympics - but when they showed Oksana Baiul - jaw drop - and I instantly wanted her to win instead! Just had a feeling she would too! ;)

[b:15f58272c0]Michelle Kwan[/b:15f58272c0] - Not something I want to go into details with - it has sort of confounded me why this occured even, that after 6+ years of being a fan, she just doesn't excite me anymore. Everyone out there seems to have a theory of why this might be - I have some ideas but I can't really fully pinpoint any one reason - seems to be many things - its just - weird! *shrugs*

[b:15f58272c0]Todd Eldredge/Aleksei Yagudin[/b:15f58272c0] - Watching these two on TV just doesn't do justice. It wasn't until I saw these two in person up close that my eyes just about poped 8O - especially since they were doing 3-axels like almost right in front of me! I will say this again - TV does not do justice - you've just got to see some skaters in person. But once you do see them in person, you'll appreciate them more even on TV. It just takes being there to give perspective.

[b:15f58272c0]Chait/S?[/b:15f58272c0] - After what happened at Worlds - I'll never look at them the same way again. Nuh-uh! *shakes head*

Orable
07-29-2002, 12:11 AM
I don't know if this falls under the category, but I really liked Plush in his first break out year (that Russian folk thing), with his tight jumps, balletic elegance and speed, but his choreography in the ensuing years went from bad to worse, to painful to watch (as well as the costumes). What worked for Urmanov (IMO it worked; I may be the only person who believes that!), does not work for Plush--why doesn't Mishin get that??

My opinion of Plush changes practically every time I see the boy skate, lol. I loved his 2001 SP, but hated the Long. This year, I didn't like either, but I loved Carmen. (still hate the outfits). I think he's a tremendously talented skater (I think he has more raw talent than Yags, and I was v. impressed by his gutsy LP performance at the Olys), and he seems very sweet and honest in his interviews, but his choreography leaves the world to be desired. I've been more positively inclined about his skating lately, and I can't wait to see what (probably artistic monstrosity) he'll come up with next season.

Cheers, Orable

JDC1
07-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Kwannette, I have the same tape and I am pretty sure that is during Nationals before anything substantive came out but I haven't watched the tape lately. I doubt VERY seriously that AFTER the rumors started Michelle would say she idolized Tonya. The idea is absurd to me.
Unless the interview is live you never really know how early they taped it and we ofcourse do not know what information Michelle had been given.

kwanette
07-29-2002, 06:15 PM
JDC1, thanks, I was looking through stuff today, but I couldn't find it...It was mentioned by the commentators and after the lp when MK was interviewed she said that 'both of them" (meaning T and N) deserved to go (to the OLY)..I will keep looking, thanks again...

CMc
07-29-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
Kwannette, I have the same tape and I am pretty sure that is during Nationals before anything substantive came out but I haven't watched the tape lately. I doubt VERY seriously that AFTER the rumors started Michelle would say she idolized Tonya. The idea is absurd to me.
Unless the interview is live you never really know how early they taped it and we ofcourse do not know what information Michelle had been given.

Well, maybe nothing substantive was officially out, but there was a lot of speculation that Tonya Harding was behind the attack before Nationals was on TV because I remember hearing about it, and I'm not saying Michelle KNEW anything when she said Tonya was her idol--If anything Michelle was just a humble admirer and certainly knew nothing of Harding's lifestyle nor the people in her life when she was a fan of the skater Tonya Harding. It was just that hearing she was her idol made me feel sort of cold.

adrianchew
07-29-2002, 11:48 PM
[quote:0d71698dcf="CMc"]It was just that [b:0d71698dcf]hearing[/b:0d71698dcf] she was her idol made me feel sort of cold.[/quote:0d71698dcf]

IIRC - Michelle admired Tonya mostly because of her ability to do the 3-axel which Michelle herself was hoping to do someday, at that time.

kara
08-03-2002, 08:52 PM
A bunch, but here are some...

I&Z - thought they'd never get it together, but they totally proved me wrong and I'm never bored watching them...always thought he was a doll, though :D

Fumie - thought her presentation was juvenile and that she didn't have the mental toughness to be consistent and that using Lori was a waste of $...now she's one of my favorite ladies, her LP was my 2nd fave of the year, and love her edges and flow and expression and sincerity and spring...she's awesome, I was so wrong!

Shae-Lyn Bourne - liked her at first, then got sick of the team and her style, and then in the past 2 seasons liked their improved material and think she's awesome in certain styles...also watching her practice made me respect her more...also think she carries a lot of weight in the team in a way and I respect her for that, too...I just really like her now...rootin' for them for gold in DC

Sasha Abt - still like him, but not as much as before...his never-cleaned-up sloppiness kinda gets to me...fave performance was '00 worlds SP...I'd like to see more of that kind of look and skating

L&A - thought they were tolerable and now can't stand their skating b/c it feels like a copy of many other teams and it bores me to tears...they seem like nice people, though :)

Imo
08-05-2002, 12:16 AM
Alexei Urmanov - I couldn't stand his skating until I saw him live - then it was a complete turnaround... I was just so impressed with his speed and control. I also really started to enjoy his choreography after having seen him live...

Orable
08-07-2002, 01:16 PM
[quote:a061fb3b3b="Imo"]Alexei Urmanov - I couldn't stand his skating until I saw him live - then it was a complete turnaround... I was just so impressed with his speed and control. I also really started to enjoy his choreography after having seen him live...[/quote:a061fb3b3b]

when did you see him Imo? was it a pro comp?

Orable, who lurves her Urmy...

CMc
08-12-2002, 09:33 PM
BTW, despite what it says on the page listing our threads, I did NOT start this thread. It must be bugs.:?:

Imo
08-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Orable
[quote:a061fb3b3b="Imo"]Alexei Urmanov - I couldn't stand his skating until I saw him live - then it was a complete turnaround... I was just so impressed with his speed and control. I also really started to enjoy his choreography after having seen him live...[/quote:a061fb3b3b]

when did you see him Imo? was it a pro comp?

Orable, who lurves her Urmy...

No, I saw him at the Grand Prix Final in Hamilton, ON (except it was called the Champions Series Final at the time...) I think that was in 1997?

Hannahclear
08-13-2002, 06:45 AM
I only remember them talking about Michelle liking Tonya during the Olympic festival, right before 94 Nats, that's when I have it, if they mentioned it again, it was probably based off of that previous opinon, not after the attack, you know how the media loves to play an angle. ;)

moragc
08-14-2002, 08:18 AM
Kurt Browning. When he was a young amateur, he was such a jumping bean - coltish, full of energy, nice as a person, but just not (in my opinion) fit to fill Brian Orser's shoes as Canadian champion. I figured he'd maybe win a few major competitions on his technical strength, but wouldn't go anywhere artistically.

Boy, did he prove me wrong! :) Thanks, Kurt!