View Full Version : Just a question about Kristi's husband

trixie
07-23-2002, 03:21 PM
Someone recently noted that Kristi quit SOI touring because she thought a strong marriage was more important than her career. I am wondering if her husband shares those sentiments and has retired from NHL hockey, for the same reason. Is that a fair and reasonable question to that statement ?

mikey
07-23-2002, 03:35 PM
Who are we to judge?

Emanfan
07-23-2002, 03:41 PM
I think Kristi wants to have a family and in order to do that, she'll probably travel with her husband while he is on the road. I think Kristi made a choice of what is more important to her - skating or marriage & family. She chose marriage & family. I say good for her.

I don't think this is a sexist issue.

olivia
07-23-2002, 03:43 PM
If you want an accurate answer, you'll never get one here. Probably the only people who know the answer to that question are the parties involved.

If you want my speculation, here it is: I think the statement (by Kristi, if it's accurate, in context, and in its entirely ... I never read it) is only part of the explanation. More variables ... (1) I'm sure even without a husband, Kristi's touring days would have ended in the not-too-distant future. Think Roz Sumners. I mean, Kristi's been touring as an SOI headliner for 10 years. That's a long time to be on the road with or without a spouse... (2) Kristi may want to settle down and have a family. Her husband can still play hockey even if Kristi's pregnant, but Kristi would have to stop skating ... at least for a good amount of her pregnancy ... (3) Kristi's eligible career is over, which I think is more akin to Brett's competitive hockey career than Kristi's non-competitive pro career. He's in arguably some of the best years of his competitive hockey career. Kristi reached the pinnacle of her competitive career. Maybe Brett hasn't yet, and he deserves the chance to, don't you think? ... (4) One of them (Brett or Kristi) had to make the decision at some point to stop traveling, if they wanted to settle down and have a family. I'm sure it was a mutual decision based in part of their individual desires (Kristi was ready to stop touring; Brett wasn't ready to stop his hockey career) ...

Now to your question ... Yes, I think Brett would make the decision to support Kristi in her career if the situation was reversed ... and I think he has supported her touring career. Why should he quit playing hockey when Kristi's decision will make a richer family life possible? So they can call it even? Most families have two working parties, and they make it work.

O-

Emanfan
07-23-2002, 04:30 PM
I suppose it could also be that the poor woman is sick of skating and just didn't want to do it anymore. Time to start living in a real home and not in a hotel. Time to move on to other things.

trixie
07-23-2002, 05:51 PM
My, my! Such a response I did not expect. Yeeessshhh !

1. What I think she should do is irrelevant...I merely inquired as to her husband's plans, based on her comments, as reported.

2. I say ,great ,10 years on tour...I couldn't do it for one week ... I hate to fly.

3. I have never heard her make such a personal statement in 15 years and that seemed out of character for her.

4. I do wonder if she feels couples who both have careers requiring travel are doing less than what is best for a marriage.

5. She had no need to explain her reasons for leaving to anyone, but apparently she felt the need to.

I wish her all the best in her pursuit of the best possible marriage.

AxelAnnie22
07-23-2002, 07:39 PM
[color=darkblue:5d3fbdd560]Hadn't Kristi always said that she would be with SOI for 10 years, and that was it?

Also, maybe she just wants to be with her husband! What a concept![/color:5d3fbdd560]

bbtano
07-23-2002, 08:25 PM
I don't know if her husband shares her sentiments, but I would hope he does since they are building a family together and she needs his support in her decision.

As far as I know from reading articles available to the public, he hasn't made any statements about retiring yet. (Doesn't one of them need to work?) She's been making personal statements for several years about retiring from touring and settling down.

If she does feel that couples who both have careers requiring travel are doing less than what is best for a marriage, I doubt we (the public) will ever know. However, IMO she seems to be the sort of person who does what is best for her own life, but doesn't pass judgement on what others do in their lives......although, I suppose she could be a totally different person in private than what I've seen in the media.

NancyNC
07-24-2002, 08:19 PM
First - I doubt that he is retiring since he just signed a 6-year multi million dollar deal with the 'Canes. Second - even with him still playing hockey, the travel involved is a lot different than the travel involved with SOI. When she was touring, they were both travelling - she almost constantly for months at a time - and I doubt that they had many opportunities to be in the same city at the same time. Now, he will have road games, but will be home a lot and - what a concept - so will she. In the local paper here, she was reported to have talked about starting a family and the "strong marriage" part wasn't brought up. This was reported while he was in contract negotiations and of course, our paper went on and on about how there couldn't possibly be a better place to start a family and he should definitely re-sign with the 'Canes. :lol: