View Full Version : What was your favourite dance program from the past season?

Aussie Willy
07-23-2002, 01:40 AM
I want to discuss this because generally I really did not like most of the Freedances that I saw. However the ones I enjoyed the most were:

Humphreys & Baranov - this program may not have been as technically difficult as some of the top ones, but it was so much fun to watch.

Navka & Kostamarov - I really liked their MJ and slow sections of their FD. The last part left me a bit cold but again I really enjoyed it.

Denkova & Stavinski - Again something a bit different although did not grab me as much as last year's FD. Still I think they have found a style that really suits them.

The Chinese dance team (can't remember their names) did a waltz which I enjoyed, mainly because it was nice to see something a bit more traditional and I thought they did it well.

On the other hand, I really felt the ODs were some of the best I had seen for a while. I was anticipating before the season began that it was going to be a boring OD but I was pleasantly surprised. I love the mirror side by side step sequences that some of the teams did and many were interesting programs. Of course A&P were definately the best along with L&A. I also thought Dubriel and Lauzon had a lovely OD.

leap of faith
07-23-2002, 06:05 AM
My favourite free dance was B&K's MJ.

I love the way the selections blended together.

My favourite OD would be Wing and Lowe's. I know it was not the most difficult, but I love their straight-line, the music selections they chose and what caught my attention was the lack of red/pink until they decided to change outfits.

loveskating
07-23-2002, 08:06 AM
I didn't particularly love any of the programs this year in ice dance [i:f78624b61e]as [/i:f78624b61e]programs except for Lang & Tchernachev's Carmen OD...I thought that was a masterpiece, because the skating was high quality and the choreography perfectly captured that music I thought. Best performance of it was at U.S. Nationals...made me cry it was so passionate and beautiful.

I also like long edge movements on the ice, not a lot of posing, and in ice dance, not too much "clutter" so I'd naturally like L&T a lot.

I had no problem with the marks...thought they were fair. The programs were ok, just not really fabulous IMHO. I liked L&A's best of the podium skaters.

Intensity20
07-23-2002, 08:42 AM
My favourite ice dance program from last season would most likely be Lithuanian ice dancers Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas's exhibition number, "The Thread of Ariane".

Greek Chic
07-23-2002, 11:23 AM
I really enjoyed B&K's MJ routine. I loved how all the music blended together, and it really suited their style. To me it was the best cheographed routine out of everyone else's Freedances. The way that they skated it at the GPF in Kitchener, was the best performace of the routine. The footwork was extremely difficult and they were dancing out on the ice. Just my 2 cents.

Blue Ridge
07-23-2002, 02:02 PM
Lobacheva and Averbukh's free dance, which I thought captured a lot of the feelings I had following September 11. And besides they had such great costumes :lol:

I also really like Lang & Tcherneshev's free dance which was (and continues to be!) just delightful to watch.

I thought Anissina and Peizerat's OD was spectacular.

¤Sweetie¤
07-23-2002, 02:11 PM
I spend my time watching and evaluating Dance to the fullest... and for Exhbition programs, there were two that stood out to me as being well-suited towards the skaters' personalities and style.

Lobacheva & Averbuhk's "Same Sun" program I thought was beautiful and elegant, regardless of the fact that many of the moves were from previous Freedances.

Bourne & Kraatz's "Sadeness" was spectacular. They centered the program around the hydroblading, and what I found most amazing was the concept of the choreography :mrgreen:
Shae-Lynn describes this as:

[i:cc5b333cb1]"the program was sort of a theme of being trapped, and as you could probably see in our costumes, we used the spider concept, with Victor being caught in my web (I really wasn't sure about that part! I hate spiders!)
I don't know if it would make a good free dance or not, we'd really have to rework it, and take a lot of the hydroblading out, which was most of the program and what made it work."[/i:cc5b333cb1]

None of the OD's really struck me, but for FD's, I really enjoyed B&K's MJ program, not because I am a fan of theirs, but because the tyle suited them, the costuming was well-done, and the music blended well. Yes, even [i:cc5b333cb1]SMILE[/i:cc5b333cb1]

Emanfan
07-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Well, I am generally not a fan of L&A. However, their OD last year had me riveted -- it was beautiful and (despite my fondess for B&K and D&L), that was my favourite.

Have to disagree Blue Ridge about their FD. Costumes were hideous and I couldn't get past that.

Blue Ridge
07-23-2002, 02:24 PM
does seem those costumes would win a fan poll for most disliked. whatever. :lol:

L&A's OD was not far behind A&P's for me, both stunning.

I agree with Sweetie on both L&A's exhibition, that was just gorgeous; and "spectacular" is definitely the word for B&K's Sadeness. That one was a total wow at COI (to be really articulate about it :lol:)

icenut84
07-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Well, I know I'm the only person in the entire world (it seems!) who thinks this, but I loved L/A's free dance AND the costumes for it. I thought they suited the dance and the music perfectly. I really like that programme. I have the coverage of it from Europeans with Eurosport commentary, and I think they - Chris and Simon - put it perfectly: when L/A got into their starting position and the audience clapped, they said "How d'you get out of that one?!" and when they started and Irina stood up, they said "Well, they've got our attention!" :)
I also really liked Bourne/Kraatz's Michael Jackson free dance (if only they hadn't fallen at the end!) and Lang/Tchernyshev's free dance. Both were great. I liked Drobiazko/Vanagas's Quelque Cris too (though Margarita had a MUCH nicer dress at Europeans, why she changed it I don't know). Out of the podium, L/A were my favourite.
(I also loved L/A's OD, and A/P's OD was good too.)

Orable
07-23-2002, 06:14 PM
The FDs didn't do it for me this year, but the ODs more than made up for that. I liked C/S as well as F-P/M's OD's well enough. I really really liked L/A's OD. It was incredible that she could skate like that with that knee. And Ilia is a dance god. 8)

But the cake of OD goes hands down to A/P. That Spanish Medley gives me shivers. Everything was perfect--straight down to Marina's Andalusian comb. That is the best dance program I've seen in a very, very long time. Ole!

but for the FDs, I liked Qulque Cris the most, with L/A's Sept 11 tribute next, then A/Ps Liberta. I actually also liked F-P/M's FD too, but I don't think it was Olys material...more of an exhibition.

Cheers, Orable

kwanette
07-23-2002, 06:32 PM
A and P's OD, L and T's OD

B and K FD, L and T FD

Isabelle
07-23-2002, 07:20 PM
[color=red:9f4ee5621f]Definately[/color:9f4ee5621f] Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon's OD!!!! (Maria de Buenos Aires) :)

Orable
07-24-2002, 12:06 AM
right, I forgot; I liked L/T's OD too...but the detail on his costume made my eyes water!

I didn't get to see D/L skate yet. I really would like to them--they seem like my kind of skaters :)

Cheers, Orable

Blue Ridge
07-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Isabelle, it is a truly sad fact that here in the U.S. we don't get to see Marie-France and Patrice. :cry:
I have one tape of a Canadian broadcast that they are on, and I just loved them!
I hate our limited coverage. :evil:

Anya
07-24-2002, 10:49 AM
My favourite OD was A&P's. I've never thought that one can do such a "Spanish" dance on ice. I also liked L&A's one a lot - not as "Spanish", but very impressive and difficult.

Of all FDs I think I liked Romanuita&Barantev's Xotica the most. I was also incredibly impressed with L&A's Time for Peace. Other dance I liked are B&A's Sarajevo, D&S's Eternal Life and W&L's Ragtimes (this one seems to be very easy, but lovely). G&G also did a nice job with Barcelona.

Aussie Willy
07-24-2002, 06:08 PM
I forgot Belbin & Agosto's FD. I really enjoyed that one too.

From the sounds of it most people only get to see the top few skaters which is a pity because I think sometimes the most enjoyable programs can come from lower down the ranks. Thankfully I managed to get all the FDs and ODs from Worlds and Olympics which can be a bit boring to sit through, however on the other hand the good ones really stand out.

Miezekatze
07-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Free Dances:

- chait & Sakhnovsky
- Navka & kostomarov
- fp&m

Original Dances:
- Belbin & Agosto
- Faiella & Scali

Debbie S
07-26-2002, 12:47 PM
I thought B/K's MJ was the best. A/P's FD rubbed me the wrong way, for some reason - don't think it was the costumes, though. At the beginning of the season, I was kind of ambivalent about the MJ program, but it really grew on me. And I loved their COI program (although I had the misfortune of being stuck inn the ladies room line for the first half of it. :( ) I'm so happy they decided to stay eligible for one more year - can't wait to see them live at Worlds!

rjblue
07-26-2002, 12:58 PM
L&A's OD closely followed by their FD(I didn't mind the costumes).

I thought B&K's MJ at the GPF was the best I've ever seen from them. It is my favourite of their programs. They blew everyone else out of the water. Maybe the fact that they do so much touring and as a result perform dances quite often on reduced rink sizes enabled them to skate so well on the smaller rink. The other couples all looked off, especially FP&M.

NiceIce
08-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Navka and Kostamarov...what icedancing was meant to be!

kara
08-03-2002, 09:01 PM
[quote:988143f642="Orable"]

The FDs didn't do it for me this year, but the ODs more than made up for that.

But the cake of OD goes hands down to A/P. That Spanish Medley gives me shivers. Everything was perfect--straight down to Marina's Andalusian comb. That is the best dance program I've seen in a very, very long time. Ole!

[/quote:988143f642]

ITA, and love your Ole. :D A&P's OD was even more of a triumph considering that the OD isn't usually the strongest dance for them, and that this year's style isn't what they're known for doing best. They just worked until they had something spectacular!

Of the FD's, B&K's and N&K's MJ programs were the most enjoyable for me. I also liked L&T's OD.

hippiechick
08-03-2002, 09:24 PM
I really liked B&K's FD; L&A's FD; the Bulgarians, L&T's FD and OD. I hated Peter's costume for the OD until I saw a picture of a matador's, and it looked just like his costume so I guess he was in character. I enjoyed B&A's FD as well, and the British team H&B's FD. I'm angry at A&P right now so I won't include them.

roogu
08-04-2002, 06:55 PM
Dubreiul and Lauzon's OD this year was my favorite dance of all. It was one of the few few few few original dances that actually 'danced'.