View Full Version : Has any Man or Lady won Olympic Gold with a fall in the LP?

originalQA
07-21-2002, 04:26 PM
I am asking for Mens or Ladies but you can throw in any discipline you want.
I think Kristi may have fallen in the LP in 1992, but so did Midori, if I am not mistaken.
So I guess I am really asking if anyone has won Olympic Gold with a fall in the LP when the Silver Medalist had a clean skate.

sk8rzmom
07-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Kristi did fall. It was on a triple sal.

Debbie S
07-21-2002, 04:47 PM
I believe Alexei Urmanov fell in '94 when Elvis skated clean. Victor Petrenko made several mistakes near the end of his LP in '92, but I'm not sure if he fell. Scott Hamilton didn't fall, but popped (singled) his 3 flip in 1984. He actually finished 2nd in the LP to Brian Orser, but that's when figures were part of the scoring, so Scott was able to maintain his overall lead.

Actually, when figures were part of the equation, the Oly champ often was not the best LP skater. That's one of the reasons figures were eventually phased out - to make the comp more understandable and palatable to the public.

Did Midori fall in the LP in '92? I know she fell in the SP, and may have stumbled on or popped something in the LP, but I'm not sure she actually fell.

Kristi fell on her 3 loop. She doubled her 3 sal.

Hannahclear
07-21-2002, 04:50 PM
alexi didn't fall, but had a bad turnout

duane
07-22-2002, 12:08 AM
yes, midori fell on the 1st 3axel attempt.

however, from what i've read, the 2nd 3axel (which would rival any male's 3axel! it was HUGE!) wasnt a retry. her planned LP at the 92 olympics included a 3lutz/3toe, a 3axel/3toe, and a solo 3axel!! can you even imagine???

A.H.Black
07-22-2002, 12:17 AM
Actually you can make a case that Kristi didn't fall either as her rear end never touched the ice; and I believe it was a loop not a salchow.

loveskating
07-22-2002, 06:17 AM
If I recall, in 92 at the Olympics, all the top skaters fell in the LP...which is why Kristi's fall and other mistakes did not matter.

Skating is very, very relative, and very specific.

If you go to Worlds, it gets even more this way...where the podium contains numerous mistakes and even falls.

icenut84
07-22-2002, 07:36 AM
In the LP in 92 Olympics, Midori Ito did fall on the her first triple axel (I think it was going to be a 3axel-3toe combination), and after something like 3 minutes 10 seconds, she was coming up to a triple flip and went for a triple axel instead, and it was amazing! Huge, fully rotated, everything. Definitely rivals the triple axel from the likes of Yagudin. The commentator on the tape I have said "I can't believe she went for it again and she landed it! That was gorgeous!" She (commentator) also pointed out that it wasn't a planned jump, that she had planned a triple flip. They also remarked that for her to even feel able to go for it again at that stage in the program showed that she was remarkably conditioned, and that she was a gutsy skater to go for it again after having trouble with it in the practices and falling on the first one.

duane
07-23-2002, 12:04 AM
[quote:69d6b4303f="A.H.Black"]Actually you can make a case that Kristi didn't fall either as her rear end never touched the ice; and I believe it was a loop not a salchow.[/quote:69d6b4303f]

correct.

kristi's jumps:
3lutz/3toe
2axel
3flip
split-jump/turn/3toe
3loop (hand-down, body turns, then free leg down. but as mentioned, rear end never touches the ice)
2sal
3lutz
split jump/turn/2axel

midori's jumps:
2lutz/3toe
3axel (fall)
3flip/2toe
3loop
3axel
3sal
2axel

Aussie Willy
07-23-2002, 12:29 AM
Icenut - that was Barbara Underhill - I have that commentary on tape.

Bosco
07-27-2002, 11:46 AM
Peggy Fleming?

A.H.Black
07-27-2002, 02:46 PM
I have heard Peggy say that her Olympic performance was not her best but I don't believe she fell. I just think she didn't go for all the difficulty she was capable of.

Tenacious D
07-31-2002, 09:47 PM
So if you're saying Kristi didn't really fall...then Michelle didn't either at the SLC..right?

If they're not falls...what are they then?

Ellyn
07-31-2002, 10:05 PM
[quote:c7b1953a01="A.H.Black"]I have heard Peggy say that her Olympic performance was not her best but I don't believe she fell. I just think she didn't go for all the difficulty she was capable of.[/quote:c7b1953a01]

I believe she opened up on the double lutz (1 1/2 and two-foot), but she didn't fall.

A.H.Black
07-31-2002, 11:18 PM
Thanks Ellyn

Tenacious D - It is just this kind of situation where the grey areas of judging come in. Many judges (and fans) would indeed call Kristi's and Michelle's errors falls, but others would not and would not mark down as much for them. Arguments could be made for either opinion.