View Full Version : Same sex partnerships in ice dance and pairs

dooobedooo
03-05-2004, 05:15 AM
There have been a couple of posts here on subjects like "Gay pioneers of figure skating" and "Gay marriage". It set me to thinking about the structure of figure skating competition and gender stereotyping within it, and I wondered - how long before competitions allow entry from same sex couples in dance and pairs?

And is there any ISU rule to prevent it at present?

thumbyskates
03-05-2004, 10:55 AM
In Canada, they've started (very) low levels of (fun) competitive "Open Pairs" and dance...this allows partners of the same sex to compete against others.

Kortney

Emanfan
03-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by thumbyskates
In Canada, they've started (very) low levels of (fun) competitive "Open Pairs" and dance...this allows partners of the same sex to compete against others.

God, I love this country! :lol:

peaches
03-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
There have been a couple of posts here on subjects like "Gay pioneers of figure skating" and "Gay marriage". It set me to thinking about the structure of figure skating competition and gender stereotyping within it, and I wondered - how long before competitions allow entry from same sex couples in dance and pairs?

In ISI competition same-sex skaters can compete in Couples (not the same as Pairs, very few lifts, mostly SBS skating) and Dance. It's to give skaters a chance to compete with a partner since there is a shortage of boys in the sport.

MQSeries
03-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by dooobedooo

You have to attend the Gay Games to see same sex partners skating together. I doubt you will ever see in in any USFSA of ISIA competitions though. Personally I wouldn't want to see same sex partners in mainstream skating events. It's like seeing a drag show. If I want to see one then I'll go to clubs that have such shows, but I wouldn't want to see a female impersonator skating in COI, which is geared for the general mainstream audience.

peaches
03-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by MQSeries
You have to attend the Gay Games to see same sex partners skating together. I doubt you will ever see in in any USFSA of ISIA competitions though.

A lot of girls team up for ISI comps. It's not uncommon at all. They're not gay, just skating together for lack of males. I suppose of people want to see RL partners skating together, then yes, you'd have to attend to Gay Games. I don't see the ISU jumping on that one any time soon.

sk8er1964
03-05-2004, 01:45 PM
I skated similar pairs in ISIA as a kid (that's what we called then). It was a lot of fun.

Artemis
03-05-2004, 03:13 PM
... I wouldn't want to see a female impersonator skating in COI, which is geared for the general mainstream audience.

Not counting Lloyd Eisler as Patricia the Stripper or in the Western ensemble number, of course. ;-)

twinkle
03-05-2004, 04:08 PM
You have to attend the Gay Games to see same sex partners skating together. I doubt you will ever see in in any USFSA of ISIA competitions though. Personally I wouldn't want to see same sex partners in mainstream skating events. It's like seeing a drag show. If I want to see one then I'll go to clubs that have such shows, but I wouldn't want to see a female impersonator skating in COI, which is geared for the general mainstream audience.

People don't have to be gay or impersonating a member of the opposite sex just because they are skating pairs with a same sex partner. If this was done it would obviously be totally different to ordinary pairs skating.

fadedstardust
03-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I could see a really fun number done by two female pairs or dance (thought pairs would be funner) team that are straight, skating to "The Boy is Mine" in a show.

Aside from that though...I mean, I support gay rights and gay marriage, for that matter, but I think same sex partners in competitive events would just not look good...and for lifts, it'd be especially hard for two females, or two males for that matter, since they'd both weigh about the same. I think we've gotta draw a line somewhere. Next we'll have a guy auditioning for the role of Juliet in the Boston Ballet's production claiming everyone should have a shot...there's still boundaries, and they have nothing to do with gay or straight at ALL. They do however, have to do with gender roles, and it's not such a bad thing.
-FadedStardust

FollowYourHeart
03-05-2004, 05:34 PM
I don't think it would be fair. I mean, what if you had two men doing SBS 3axels and such, they would clearly have a technical advantage over the women.

However, I totally disagree with whomever compared it to a drag show. Who said that one member would have to dress as a woman or as a man. Why can't the two men both dress as men? Very narrow minded way of thinking.

Schmeck
03-05-2004, 07:23 PM
How about the acrobatic skaters that are in COI? (Sorry, I can't remember their names right now) They are incredible, and it would be an interesting new field for figure skating if they could get enough acro-pairs for a competition!

Italiano
03-06-2004, 12:51 AM
I would not have a problem with same sex pairs or dance in regular competition. I do not see the need for one of the guys to dress as a female though. That would be strange. This could give skating a much needed lift after 10 years of virtual boredom.

calypso56
03-06-2004, 05:53 AM
Katja & Shae?:evil:

tdnuva
03-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Just wanted to put in the discussion - there ARE same sex partnerships on ice e.g. in the gay games.....

fadedstardust
03-06-2004, 09:43 AM
I forgot a point I wanted to add about this whole thing...is that a girl and a guy are paired together I think because of logics...size proportions and stuff works better, but I don't see how this is a gay/straight issue in that most pair/dance teams don't START OUT as a couple. Many become couples cause of the time they spend together, but few go into competitive, high ranking USFA comps as a couple...so does it really matter if the partner you get isn't of your dating preference? Wouldn't it make it easier since there'd be no love story to keep up and thus less stress and more work done? I think one thing for sure, there should be less of a taboo about athletes (or military...or anyone really) coming out. It shouldn't be like you're telling the world you have the Plague. But I hope pairs remain the way they do. I wouldn't see the point of them getting changed to open partners, or the fun in watching it aside for the occasional show number. It looks great and works great the way it is now, and there's enough freak accidents with lifts as it is without adding weaker upper-bodied girls trying to throw each other or heavier guys trying to figure out who's easier to hoist.

What are the gay games, by the way? I'd never heard of them. I'd like to bring myself up to speed, though! Any info is appreciated. :)
-FadedStardust

Ultrasuede
03-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by FollowYourHeart
I don't think it would be fair. I mean, what if you had two men doing SBS 3axels and such, they would clearly have a technical advantage over the women.

However, I totally disagree with whomever compared it to a drag show. Who said that one member would have to dress as a woman or as a man. Why can't the two men both dress as men? Very narrow minded way of thinking.

It would be fair because the F/F pairs would compete against other F/F pairs, and the M/M pairs would compete against other M/M pairs. That's how it works in the Gay Games, anyway.

I agree with the second comment. Why would anyone assume someone has to be in drag?? LOL.

Gay Games links:

http://www.outsports.com/ggames02/index.cfm

http://www.gaygames.com/en/

http://www.rcw.bc.ca/Holiday/Gay_Games.htm

Last link is specifically skating. I'm wondering if the guys in silver are Jean-Pierre Martin & Mark Hird, who won in 1994. I can't tell from those pictures.

Gaela
03-08-2004, 02:34 AM
I think it would for interesting experiments in form.

After all there is a lot of size variation in the sexes, for example you could have a woman who was 5'10 and 140 pounds skating with another woman who was 4"11 and 90 pounds, same deal with the guys.

There would probably be more interesting possibilities in dance than in pairs, but I'm sure it will evolve slowly as a form in the future.