View Full Version : Rink/Coach Reputation

Scott
07-18-2002, 07:39 AM
I have been having an e mail discussion with another poster on this board and in those discussions the question was raised as to whether or not the "reputation" or name that a rink has will influence how a judge may look at a skater, dance team or pair. In other words, if the skater comes from a less well known rink ( or coach) will the skater be held back? We thought that this might be an interesting discussion. And you Canadians and Europeans can comment too! This applies to all. Could this happen, say, in Russia?

AxelAnnie22
07-18-2002, 08:54 AM
[color=darkblue:341201bcd3]I would imagine that the reputation of the coach and rink acts as the background within which the skater is judged. I would think, for example, knowing you are going to see a Sandra Bezic program, you know you are going to see a certain level of performance. I think it would give an edge. Especially in a single performance.

Over time, if a skater from an BooFoo, Egypt, skating with Joe Blow, kept having wonderful performances, the judges would have to take notice, but they are looking for the big guns.

I ride competitively. Believe you me, the well known horses with the big name trainers are the ones that win. You have to be twice as good to place ahead of them. Famous Rider, Famous Trainer, Famous Horse are just EXPECTED to win![/color:341201bcd3]

kia
07-20-2002, 04:49 PM
I wouldg agree that having the right name coach is helpful. But perhaps there is also an element that these coaches have been in the game for a long time and have the knowlege and contacts to know what the judges are looking for.

~*balletic*~
07-20-2002, 06:19 PM
[color=olive:a3f31c8988][b:a3f31c8988]I'm sure it helps, but it's not necessarily a done deal. The skater still has to do their part.
How many skaters have we seen with Richard Callaghan in the past few years who didn't place, while Sarah Hughes, with an unknown coach, is medaling?[/b:a3f31c8988][/color:a3f31c8988]

Scott
07-22-2002, 06:52 AM
I don't think that Robin is an unknown coach. But she is unusual in that she has chosen to coach one and only one skater. She is definately out of the norm.

Rogue
07-22-2002, 08:24 AM
Robin isn't an unknown coach now, but how many heard of her prior to Sarah?

rjblue
07-22-2002, 10:23 AM
I think your choice of coach and club probably help more at the lower levels. Skaters with "known" coaches get more monitoring and support from their sections. (and these coaches more often, but not always have the better skaters)

I think at the international level the judges look at the skaters performance only. A great coach with a mediocre student can't get him or her a medal. Goebel is a good example of that. Until the flaws in his skating began to be fixed, a big name coach didn't earn him any medals.