View Full Version : A couple of questions on Scott/Kurt

icenut84
07-17-2002, 07:19 AM
I recently recieved a tape with a couple of programs from Kurt B and Scott H and I don't know for sure what they're called, can anyone help?
The first Kurt one is where he's wearing a black vest, it was on SOI one year I think, and it started with some really low lights, and near the end when the music stopped, he started the crowd clapping rhythmically and skated to the rhythem. Was this programme the infamous "Nyah"?
The second is a Scott one at a pro competition (don't know year), where he has a really big, messy wig on, and a waistcoat with patches and stuff on. After a minute or so, he takes the wig off, and at the end he turns the waistcoat inside out and sticks a tie on. Is this "Hair"?
If I've got both of these wrong, can someone tell me what they're called?
Also, I got a copy of Kurt's Singing in the Rain. When/where is it from? Was it just a TV special kinda thing? What year?
I think there was another one I wanted to ask about but I can't remember right now...

jcspkbfan
07-17-2002, 07:41 AM
Kurt wore a black tank top, not a vest, for his Nyah program, but your description of the number sounds pretty accurate--and so does your description of Scott's Hair program!

As for Singing In The Rain, Kurt originally performed it for his 1993 TV special You Must Remember This--which also included Kurt performing a group number to Simply Irresistible with Kristi Yamaguchi, Christine Hough, and Josée Chouinard, a slow classical solo to Cavellera Rusticana, a duet with a much younger-looking Ben Ferreira, and last, but certainly not least, a black-and-white Humphrey Bogart "mini-spoof" entitled "The Big Melt." :)

Singing In The Rain has since been included on a few other CBC specials, though--it was shown towards the end of "That's Skating" (a retrospective of great Canadian skaters over the years), "Kurt By Request" (a "greatest-hits" video special featuring some of Kurt's most memorable programs) and most recently during "Passion To Skate," (a special based on Sandra Bezic's book) The "Passion To Skate" special also includes a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Singing In The Rain. So if you only have a copy of the Singing In The Rain performance (and not the entire original special), it's hard to say where it originally came from!

It's also interesting to note Singing In The Rain was one of the few programs shown in its entirety during those last three specials! :D

Hope this helps!

icenut84
07-17-2002, 08:33 AM
Thanks! :mrgreen: And just for the record, I thought Singing in the Rain was brilliant!! I've gotta show my mum! (She loved that film)

~*balletic*~
07-17-2002, 10:28 AM
You are correct about Scott. That sounds like his "Hair" program. Does it end with him in short hair and a shirt and tie?

Artemis
07-17-2002, 11:04 AM
[quote:287b45ce48="jcspkbfan"]Kurt wore a black tank top, not a vest, for his Nyah program, ... [/quote:287b45ce48]

Oh brilliant! A language barrier! Gotta love the internet! :D

FYI, jcspkbfan, in Britain, a "vest" is what we would call an undershirt, so that's definitely Nyah icenut was referring to. (What we call "vest," the Brits call "waistcoat.")

Also, for icenut, Scott debuted his "Hair" program at the 95 Canadian Pro Championships (then called the Toyota Pros ... these days it's the Sears Open). He also used the same program in the Rock and Roll Championships that season, and I think in SOI.

Teenes
07-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Funny how language can be used. I've also heard the "tank top" or "vest" (apparently, I'd never heard that usage before) referred to as a "wifebeater" and a "singlet" (as well as plain old "undershirt").

Yeah, Scott did do "Hair" at Stars on Ice that year, last program before the finale (just dug out my old program).

icenut84
07-17-2002, 04:54 PM
[quote:78eeb87bae="jcspkbfan"]So if you only have a copy of the Singing In The Rain performance (and not the entire original special), it's hard to say where it originally came from![/quote:78eeb87bae]

Well, it starts with Kurt saying something about how he never thought be would get to do this, and his childhood hero, or something, then it goes into it. It's probably from one of the TV specials you mentioned.

[quote:78eeb87bae="~*balletic*~"]You are correct about Scott. That sounds like his "Hair" program. Does it end with him in short hair and a shirt and tie?[/quote:78eeb87bae]

Yeah. His hair is short when he takes the wig off.

[quote:78eeb87bae="Artemis"]FYI, jcspkbfan, in Britain, a "vest" is what we would call an undershirt, so that's definitely Nyah icenut was referring to. (What we call "vest," the Brits call "waistcoat.")[/quote:78eeb87bae]

Ahh! That makes sense. :mrgreen: I wondered about the "tank top" - I thought it might be a different programme, because skaters usually stick to the same costume for the same programme don't they?
Over here, a vest is what a man (or child) might wear under a shirt (the word undershirt makes sense! lol), it has no sleeves and is roundnecked. Well, it's what Kurt wears in Nyah anyway ;) Thinking about it, I have heard a waistcoat referred to as a vest before. The time I can think of is in the film The Sixth Sense, when Bruce Willis is doing that magic trick and he said the penny was in his "vest pocket", pointing to his waistcoat.
Glad that's sorted out anyway! lol

Wouldn't it be boring if we all spoke the same language! :mrgreen:

Artemis
07-17-2002, 05:11 PM
There's a classic joke about the American tourist visiting a Scottish woolen mill, asking for a "vest and pants" in his family tartan. (American pants = British trousers; British pants = American underpants.) LOL.

I'm not sure, but think the more accurate of "tank top" might be actually be "singlet" -- isn't that what the Brits call the shirt that runners wear? Same shape as a vest/undershirt, but usually slightly more substantial fabric, and can be any colour (vests/undershirts are almost always white).