View Full Version : skating treasures from the mid-90s

Artemis
07-15-2002, 01:52 PM
I went through a lot of old tapes this weekend, and discovered (or re-discovered) some fabulous stuff. Highlights included:

~ Josée's "Moon River" from Cdn Pros 94. The personification of Audrey Hepburn ... and proof that she belongs in the pro ranks.

~ G&G's "The Kiss" from the same. I will [i:3a8fccb3c9]never[/i:3a8fccb3c9] tire of seeing this program.

~ Barb and Paul's "Fly Me to the Moon" from Canadian Pros 95. I'd seen the program before but not this version. Not only is it one of their best programs, but in this comp they also put in a triple twist and a triple throw! (Actually, there were so many great skates that competition, especially among the pairs. It was only a couple of weeks after Sergei G. died, and it was almost like they were skating their best to do him proud.)

~ Karen Preston's skates (both of them) at the 95 Canadian Pros. Great to see her again.

~ Liz Manley's "Impossible Dream" from the same. I'd seen it before, but this performance had so much emotion ... and terrific jumps too.

~ Scott's debut of "Hair" from the same. And listening to Barb trying to commentate while laughing hysterically.

~ Isabelle and Lloyd's "Candide" from the Houston Symphony on Ice special (95 or thereabouts). I've always felt that, as pros, Isabelle and Lloyd are extremely entertaining and with still the best tricks in the biz ... but often lacking in choreography. Candide was one of the only "complete" programs I've seen them do as pros.

~ Roz's "Solace/Maple Leaf Rag" from the same show. I've always acknowledged Roz's elegant pure skating ability, but she'd never made a connection with me before this program. (The fact that she dedicated it to Rob McCall might have had something to do with it.)

~ Christine & Doug's performances. All of them. Every time I see them I am reminded what a fabulous pair they were ... and what a shame that the only thing that stood between them and a Worlds medal was the SBS double axel.

~ Kurt's "Lightening Crashes" from the 96 Rock & Roll championship. I don't think I'd seen that one before. Another great vehicle for him, and another awesome performance.

~ Elvis' skate to the Slovenian folk song sung by his father, performed at the Rekindle the Flame show (93?). Breathtaking. Why oh why can't he put this kind of creative effort into his exhibition skating now?

~ Discovering that Gotta Dance was [b:3a8fccb3c9]not[/b:3a8fccb3c9] Sonia's first appearance in a skating show! She was also in [i:3a8fccb3c9]The Planets[/i:3a8fccb3c9] circa 1994 (starring the Duschenays and Brian Orser), along with some other bigish-name dancers. The show itself was so-so -- very conceptual -- but I like Holst, so that makes up for a lot of weaknesses.

mikewilder
07-17-2002, 02:10 PM
i taped the symphony on ice program, watched it a number of times. i'm sure i don't still have it.
loved candide and the scott joplin.
those programs really did show off b&e and ros. s. at their best.
i was just thinking about the joplin program the other day, was listening to maple leaf rag and solace on cd.
beautiful music, very well interpreted.

~*balletic*~
07-17-2002, 02:19 PM
I loved Josee's "Moon River" !

I also loved Hough and Ladret's "My Sharona"

Kurt's "Hey Pachuko"

Oksana's "Arabian" and "The Swan"

ILoveAllSkaters
07-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Michelle Kwan's "Romanza," "Salome" and "Taj Mahal"
Oksana Baiul's "Swan"
Paul Wylie's "Carmina Burana"