View Full Version : Best Male Pairs Partner

Skatingsarah
11-24-2003, 09:50 PM
There are alot of partners out there, trustworthy, strong, outgoing. So out of the whole bunch of them who do you think the all time best male pairs partner is or at least the top contenders

-I'm going to have to say 3 guys, David Pelletier,Arthur Demitrev(sp) and Loyld Eisler.

-What do you guys think? THINK HARD
*Sarah

A.H.Black
11-24-2003, 11:05 PM
You have to go further back -

1 Sergei Grinkov - No one's feet were quieter or more sure in lifts. No one has ever been more seemless between the beginning and end of a pair move. No one ever "presented" his partner better although Oleg Protopopov probably did as well as Grinkov in that department.
2 Oleg Protopopov
3 Artur Dimetriev

Trillian
11-25-2003, 04:38 AM
Dmitriev always shows up on these lists, but he was never my style--he may have peaked at the Olympics a few times, but I saw a lot of him in between Olympics, and...eh. Too inconsistent. However, I realize I'm way in the minority where he's concerned.

Definitely another vote for Grinkov, and I'd add one (in spite of the FSW disaster ;)) for Paul Martini. Those were probably the two all-time greats in my mind. I liked Vadim Naumov a lot when he was competing; he was usually more expressive than the average pair guy. (Perhaps a big reason I'm inclined to root for him as a coach now.) I'd also throw in a mention of Denis Petrov, who had such a long, consistent career--quite honestly, at least when they were pros, the mistakes in Bechke & Petrov's programs were usually not his. And of course Oleg Protopopov...he's still awesome.

Among the current men, I want to mention Zhao Hongbo just for the comment he made after the event at Worlds last year when his partner skated with an injury--that if he could, he'd make his medal smaller and give part of it to her. An attitude like that has to count for something. :)

Justine_R
11-25-2003, 06:48 AM
Hard----

David Pelletier

Patrice Archetto.

PAskate
11-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Add one for the most potential - Paul Binnebose

On a related note, does anyone have an update on Paul?

Oracle
11-25-2003, 11:33 AM
I find this very difficult but:
Denis Petrov
Sergei Grinkov
Randy Gardner
Paul Martini
Lyndon Johnston
Ken Shelley

pinkjellybean
11-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Bruno Marcotte! David Pelletier, Sergei Grinkov, Artur Dimitriev.

Trillian
11-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by PAskate
Add one for the most potential - Paul Binnebose

On a related note, does anyone have an update on Paul?

Once upon a time, I absolutely would have said that. I thought he was going to be one of the greats. :(

Is he still coaching in Pennsylvania?

gandalf
11-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Trillian
Dmitriev always shows up on these lists, but he was never my style--he may have peaked at the Olympics a few times, but I saw a lot of him in between Olympics, and...eh. Too inconsistent. However, I realize I'm way in the minority where he's concerned.

ITA. I've never really understood the love affair with Artur Dmitriev. I have to disagree about Hongbo Zhao, however. Every time Shen goes into the air for a lift I fear for her life.

Best male pairs skaters:
Paul Martini, Sergei Grinkov, Lloyd Eisler

I find it too difficult to compare current pairs skaters with skaters before about 1980.

love2sk8
11-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Definately Sergei and Lloyd

AnnieD
11-25-2003, 03:59 PM
David Pelletier definitely. The guy never once fell on a side by side jump while he was skating in major eligible competition with Jamie, and he's solid as a rock on throws, lifts and twists, plus has good technique, nice flow, presents his partner beautifully whilst still retaining his own personality on the ice, and has good presentation skills himself. Put it this way, if I had to let a guy throw me 6 feet into the air for a split triple twist and hope he'd catch me, I'd pick David Pelletier to do it!

love2sk8
11-25-2003, 04:01 PM
I momentarily forgot about David...he belongs on my list too!

Artemis
11-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Aside from others already mentioned (in particular David, Lloyd, and Sergei), I'd have to add Doug Ladret. He scores big in every category (skill, physical and emotional support), and gets bonus points for splitting his skull when he took a fall to save Christine.

mackiecat
11-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Doug Ladret definitely. He is someone you'd trust your child's lfe with. If you are looking for a great partner on and OFF the ice, Lloyd Isler may not be your best choice.8O

md2be
11-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Mackie..that is pretty unfair to say. He is a good friend of mine, and although he was/ is outspoken in his sport, he is one of the most loyal, caring, and supportive friends I have ever made. He is a great husband, a fantastic friend/ partner to Isabelle, and will make a great father.

To undermine him for statements you have seen him make in the heat of the moment regarding his scores (mainly) is to judge him unfairly. It would be like me judging you to be a complete B**** from your post..which I will not do.

Lastly, Id like to point out that Doug, David, and Lloyd all trained together/ coached each other during their careers and I think it speaks volumes about their solid training that so many of you name them as great pairs skaters.

jamie_rae352
11-26-2003, 07:12 PM
David Pelletier

Dave Pelletier

My fave guy! (Davie!)

Skatingsarah
11-26-2003, 08:51 PM
OMG I cant believe I forgot Sergei! It was a total lapse of memory. So I'll for sure add him to my list too!!
-Sarah

pinkjellybean
11-26-2003, 09:08 PM
I would totaly add Doug and Lloyd to my list... I just didn't want it to be hugely long... Basically let's just say, go boucherville!

HeatherC
11-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Coming out of lurkdom.....well, David Pelletier and Sergei Grinkov are the first two names that popped into my head for this subject. No one else comes close to being called the BEST ever IMO, although there are a lot of other male partners that I would classify as pretty great. Lloyd Eisler, Doug Ladret, Anton Sikharuldze, Todd Sand, and Artur Dimetriv are just a few of those I can think of off the top of my head. Great topic!! :D

duane
11-28-2003, 12:22 AM
I think the best male pairs partner is the one who had such dramatic flair, and who is the only one who has won Olympic gold with two different partners.

Regarding Sergei,
Don't disagree with anything anyone has said about this fine skater. However, i do think having a partner who was half his height and weight made it more easier for him to have a lightness in his throws and a sureness of his lifts.

blades
11-28-2003, 10:39 PM
8-)

there are many excellent ones...but my vote also goes to ken shelly...great pair skater and also an incredible singles skater...could really work an audience...

jp1andOnly
11-28-2003, 10:56 PM
Though he seemed like a decent guy off the ice I could never quite forgive him when at a local ice show (within the last few years) he refused to sign autographs for the wee kiddies. Isabelle stayed and signed. This was before the show during afternoon rehersals

I will admit he was a good partner. Very solid footing especially during lifts.
Originally posted by md2be
Mackie..that is pretty unfair to say. He is a good friend of mine, and although he was/ is outspoken in his sport, he is one of the most loyal, caring, and supportive friends I have ever made. He is a great husband, a fantastic friend/ partner to Isabelle, and will make a great father.

To undermine him for statements you have seen him make in the heat of the moment regarding his scores (mainly) is to judge him unfairly. It would be like me judging you to be a complete B**** from your post..which I will not do.

Lastly, Id like to point out that Doug, David, and Lloyd all trained together/ coached each other during their careers and I think it speaks volumes about their solid training that so many of you name them as great pairs skaters.

md2be
11-29-2003, 11:29 AM
And in the last few years he has suffered from numerous injuries, so could it be he had to go ice/heat/stretch so that he could perform later that night? Or maybe he had personal things to tend to...when you have a short amount of time between rehersal and a performance, well you tend to want to get as much done (or sleep) as possible.

Athletes just dont get a break...

jp1andOnly
11-29-2003, 12:07 PM
can't say it was that. He was just a jerk that day. Maybe it was male PMS. He wouldn't even sign them before the warmup either. My brother, who was also a guest in the show lost all respect for him right there. Especially when he saw the looks on the kiddies faces.

But again, solid pairs partner, which is what this thread is about.

icenut84
11-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jp1andOnly
can't say it was that. He was just a jerk that day. Maybe it was male PMS. He wouldn't even sign them before the warmup either.

Everyone has bad days though - even the nicest people in the world sometimes just can't cope with something like signing autographs. Maybe he was just not in the right frame of mind at that moment.

jp1andOnly
11-29-2003, 01:40 PM
I agree to the statement. Sure, everyone has a bad day. All I ever mentioned in my posts was that because I witnessed this incident it left a bad taste in my mouth. Not saying he is bad person, just left a bad impression.

Originally posted by icenut84
Everyone has bad days though - even the nicest people in the world sometimes just can't cope with something like signing autographs. Maybe he was just not in the right frame of mind at that moment.

md2be
11-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Let's see...
So Lloyd is skating a show. That involves 2 full days of travel, rehersals when he gets there, a show or two with rehersals in between potentially, a reception or two that he has to attend, plus he has to find time to travel to and from the hotel, work out at the hotel, sleep, eat 3 meals a day, stretch, treat injuries (which you may or may not know that he has....I mean the guy doesnt publicize his injuries)......
Now, top that off with the fact that he was planning a wedding (if this was 1-2 years ago as you claim), runs a business, owns a skating rink, coaches skaters, is a homeowner trying to do renovations.....

Yes, please excuse him if the few hours he has when on location for a show are spent with himself, for himself and by himself. And if he has friends in that town, or his wife is in town with him...you bet your bottom he is going to spend his OFF time with them! Buy your kids tickets to the reception, stand in line at a meet-n-greet....that is what those things are for. Skating is his livlihood, not his life.

memememe76
11-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Among those already mentioned, I'd like to echo people's praise for these guys: Pelletier, Grinkov, Protopopov, and Anton. I like Paul, but the guy's jumping problems put him a notch below. As for Arthur, his inconsistency always drove me crazy, and presently, it's his partner who's carrying their pro career forward.

Among those not yet mentioned (or I skipped), I'd like to add: Ingo Stauer, Todd Sand (the only American to win World medals with multiple partners), Randy Gardner, and Oleg Vasiliev. Not at the absolute peak of their field, but deserving of some consideration.

Of the current eligible teams, I'm most impressed with Alexie Tikhonov.

jp1andOnly
11-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Let's see..since there was no reception he didn't have to attend anything before or after the show. Signing the autographs and posing for pictures was it. When you get paid 10,000 to skate for one day in a local skating carnival, the least you can do is sign autographs for the kiddies for an hour. Again, club carnival not some big huge production.

Not saying he's a bad horrible person, just that this incident soured my opinion of him.

Originally posted by md2be
Let's see...
So Lloyd is skating a show. That involves 2 full days of travel, rehersals when he gets there, a show or two with rehersals in between potentially, a reception or two that he has to attend, plus he has to find time to travel to and from the hotel, work out at the hotel, sleep, eat 3 meals a day, stretch, treat injuries (which you may or may not know that he has....I mean the guy doesnt publicize his injuries)......
Now, top that off with the fact that he was planning a wedding (if this was 1-2 years ago as you claim), runs a business, owns a skating rink, coaches skaters, is a homeowner trying to do renovations.....

Yes, please excuse him if the few hours he has when on location for a show are spent with himself, for himself and by himself. And if he has friends in that town, or his wife is in town with him...you bet your bottom he is going to spend his OFF time with them! Buy your kids tickets to the reception, stand in line at a meet-n-greet....that is what those things are for. Skating is his livlihood, not his life.

laila
12-01-2003, 04:10 AM
Definitely Sergei Grinkov for the best ever. Denis Petrov, Anton Sik, Artur Dimitriev, and David Pelltier all rank right up there as well. Sergei stands out in my mind though.

Mel On Ice
12-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Any list that does not include Sergei Grinkov is incomplete.

patsue
12-02-2003, 11:18 AM
My choices, in no particular order: Protopopov, Randy Gardner; Grinkov (although like someone already posted, it was easier having a teeny, tiny partner). The Protopopovs and Tai and Randy were so well matched--they were just so elegant and had beautiful lines and were still able to do the jumps, spins and lifts.