View Full Version : Q: why do skating events hardly ever come to Quebec?

Caro
07-05-2002, 05:18 PM
Hello, I'm from Quebec and I was just wondering why we hardly ever seem to get skating events. Skate Canada is n Quebec city this year, but apart from the junior grand prix in montreal a couple of years ago, Quebec really doesn't seem to host many international or national competitions. Is there a reason to this?

[I have been waiting my whole life to see nationals/skate canada in Montreal. snif snif snif]

CanAmSk8ter
07-05-2002, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure about Canada, but I know in the U.S. a club has to bid on such an event. They aren't just assigned. My club bid to host Nationals a couple years ago, but we lost to a city about two hours away. Again, I'm not sure if things in Canada work the same way, but under the U.S. system, Quebec wouldn't be assigned the events if the clubs weren't asking to be the ones to hold them.

cygnus
07-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Montreal gets a junior Grand Prix at the end of September this year- that's 2 events in 2 months for Quebec- not bad really.

Lee
07-05-2002, 11:22 PM
Laval hosted the National Festival Synchro event this past spring, and in the past few years, Quebec City has hosted the SC ACGM and the ISU General Congress. Besides the JGP event in Montreal and Skate Canada in Quebec City this coming season, Synchro Nationals will also be in Montreal the end of February.

These things seem to go in spurts somehow. Alberta had Cdns in 94, Worlds in 96, and Cdns again in 2000. Calgary is hosting the World Youth Festival, but since this event includes speedskating, hosting it in Calgary is almost a given with the Olympic Oval there.

But, as was pointed out, clubs/sections put in bids to host these events. Either they're not putting in the bids, or something is lacking in the ones being put forth -- a guess, at best...