View Full Version : Gross question about leg hair

sk8er1964
08-29-2003, 07:39 PM
OK - I am curious to know if this happens to anyone else.

Where my boots cover my legs, my leg hair grows in faster, darker and coarser than anywhere else on my legs. Yuck! I know it used to happen to my mom too, when she skated. (We used to joke that the cure for baldness was to put a skate boot on your head :lol:) So -- is this common, or are we just weird?

96.23??
08-29-2003, 07:42 PM
HEY! after you jsut said that I looked at my leg and it DOES look like that happened! HMMM.. weird!!!

Elsy2
08-29-2003, 07:43 PM
LOL...I think you are just weird ;) Well, aren't we all? The only thing I notice is that my fake tanning lotion leaves a darker tan at the "boot line". (Meanwhile, I'll tell hubby to gather up the old skates in the basement and put them on his head.....)

SDFanatic
08-29-2003, 07:52 PM
I haven't noticed any change, and fortunitly, I don't need to put a boot on my head yet.

Steven

Lutzgirl
08-29-2003, 08:22 PM
Be yourself be none else

I have noticed that too!
It is so weird and gross1

MissIndigo
08-29-2003, 09:01 PM
Ummm...could it be that friction of the boot in that area rubs hair off, and when it grows back it's of the coarser texture?

For example, in the winter when I wear long sleeved sweatshirts and turtlenecks a lot, the fine hair on the top of my wrists can rub off and it grows back like shave stubble does (but by summer I'm all fine-textured again on the wrist...but that may have been TMI for y'all...lol...:P :lol: )

Just a thought...I haven't noticed this phenomenon though (if you could call it that).

Azlynn
08-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Hmm, could be possible, I'll have to watch out! I've noticed that hair tends to be thicker down there, but always assumed it was just due to more frequent shaving due to taping when breaking in new boots.

Could I please add another question to the hair discussion? It's one of those odd ones that I hadn't gotten up to asking yet, lol.

This year I plan to be wearing tan tights and skating skirts at some point... however, there'll need to be some hair removal around the bikini area, which I've never done. Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated, lol. The only hair removal I have experience with is my lower legs and underarms, lol.

Much thanks. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Suzanne
08-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Azlynn -- I'd get it waxed if I were you. That area is a bit sensitive though so you might want to take an Advil half an hour before it gets done though.

SDFanatic
08-29-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Lutzgirl
Be yourself be none else

Hmm, I think i heard that one from somewhere also, mine I think is from something similar too, perhaps change it to my other one,

Rink fee: $3, Sharpening: $12.50, Tights: $15, Skatekilt: $75, Skates: $450, The look on your face: Priceless

Steven

StarshineXavier
08-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Where my boots cover my legs, my leg hair grows in faster, darker and coarser than anywhere else on my legs.

This happens to me too. It's quite disgusting, especially in the winter when I get lazy about shaving. The hair is twice as thick and twice as dark around my ankles. It's kinda makes me wonder if that's normal or not.........

Aussie Willy
08-30-2003, 02:12 AM
The question about bikini lines makes me think to years ago some stupid teenager at my rink just being a ***** made comments about me wearing black leggings when I did a competition. I turned around and said to her "I haven't shaved my bikini line". Eventually when she kept it up at every competition :roll: I just told her to mind her own business and where to go to which she got very offended at (wonder why). BTW - she was about 14, I was 28-29 at the time.

As for the darker hair issue, it is usually caused by the hair being rubbed away and growing back darker, which is what hair does anyway on the legs.

96.23??
08-30-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by SDFanatic
Hmm, I think i heard that one from somewhere also, mine I think is from something similar too, perhaps change it to my other one,

Rink fee: $3, Sharpening: $12.50, Tights: $15, Skatekilt: $75, Skates: $450, The look on your face: Priceless

Steven

Huh?

arena_gal
08-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Skate guy doesn't have any hair on his ankles and it's almost like the skin is callused. I doubt that hair will ever grow. He wears his skates barefoot.

SDFanatic
08-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 96.23??
Huh?
I was just commenting on what Lutzgirl posted "Be yourself be none else" wheras my quote reads "To be yourself is the truest thing one can be"

I was just commenting that the sig line in another message board I'm on reads, "Rink fee: $3, Sharpening: $12.50, Tights: $15, Skatekilt: $75, Skates: $450, The look on your face: Priceless"

Steven

TashaKat
09-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Azlynn
Could I please add another question to the hair discussion? It's one of those odd ones that I hadn't gotten up to asking yet, lol.

This year I plan to be wearing tan tights and skating skirts at some point... however, there'll need to be some hair removal around the bikini area, which I've never done. Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated, lol. The only hair removal I have experience with is my lower legs and underarms, lol.

Much thanks. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Wax, wax and more wax! If you don't fancy or aren't brave enough to do it yourself go to a beauty salon. Hot wax is better (IMO) because the hair comes out easier and so doesn't hurt so much. Even at home I use hot wax.

I'm lucky in that I don't have much hair on my legs after years of waxing so I don't get the 'hairy ankle' problem :P BUT when I had my cast taken off my wrist I had BLACK hair on my hand .... I was more worried about this than by not being able to move my wrist! I waxed and it never came back but it was horrific!!!!

x

skatepixie
09-02-2003, 03:57 AM
hair shows through tights? Mine never does, but I never get hair in the bikini area so....

SDFanatic
09-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Hehe, yes, hair can show through tights! Depending of course in how dark the hair is, and how thick it is.

Whats more interesting is when the hair starts coming out through the tights, so you have little hairs poking out here and there.

I'll have to try that hot wax, I tried nads, and it was awful! Nair does a good job, just expensive. But right now I just shave every couple days or so to keep it down, more annoying, but easier and cheaper.

Steven

skaternum
09-02-2003, 02:30 PM
I have very coarse dark hair on my legs, and I've never had it show through skating tights. Most skating tights are too thick and opaque. I wouldn't worry about shaving or waxing -- I'd just buy thick tights!

dani
09-02-2003, 03:00 PM
During the winter, I have let my bikini area hair get long enough to show through. Of course I have coarse dark hair etc.

Steven - the two quotes I like that are similar are from e.e. cummings:

To be nobody-but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

And my favorite from ee cummings:

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.

Hugs!
Danielle

SDFanatic
09-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi Danielle,

Ahh, thanks for the quotes, I have a number of quotes that I like, so many just make sense!

Those must be pretty thick tights Skaternum! With only one pair of Danskins you could just see mine if you were up close. Mondors, deffinitly! Two pairs? Usually couldn't really see it. But what I've found the best about shaving was the feel, tights over hair felt funky, but since I've stayed pretty hairless, it feels much better.

I'm debating now on shaving my arms, fitted sleeves over hair makes it feel funky, but not like my legs, and it's also funny to have the hairs popping up through the fabric! :lol:

Steven

manleywoman
09-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
I have very coarse dark hair on my legs, and I've never had it show through skating tights. Most skating tights are too thick and opaque. I wouldn't worry about shaving or waxing -- I'd just buy thick tights!

Well, that didn't help Sarah Hughes and her small bikini line snafu during her tour with Champions On Ice last year...

There were several reports from spectators in the first few rows that they saw a little more of Sarah than they would have liked when she came near them during a spiral sequence!:oops:

Ladies...get thee to a spa and get waxed!

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by SDFanatic
Those must be pretty thick tights Skaternum! With only one pair of Danskins you could just see mine if you were up close. Mondors, deffinitly! Two pairs? Usually couldn't really see it. But what I've found the best about shaving was the feel, tights over hair felt funky, but since I've stayed pretty hairless, it feels much better.
Don't forget men's hair is often much thicker and darker than a woman's of the same complexion. Incidentally, if you are going to shave or depilate, Steven, do do your PITS. Men's pits are - well, the pits!

SDFanatic
09-05-2003, 01:36 PM
LOL Mrs Redboots!

As a matter of fact I do shave my pits also, just a bit much there. And my fancy blue one has that cold shoulder look so I needed to do something with it anyways! And my hair is very thick, even my barber comments on it's thickness, I even get it thinned out and it can still be very hot. I'm sure glad I'm not a girl and would have to wear it long!

I let it grow a little since I typicaly wear long sleeves most of the time, I haven't dabbled with howing a lot of skin yet. My new purple one I just ordered however comes with a slit back, I could have changed it to a zipper, but I decided, what the heck?

Steven

P.S. I don't have much in the way of chest or back hair either! Although I am getting a bit more hair on my stomach then I had in the past. Shave that if I start playing with bare midrifs, hehe.

TashaKat
09-06-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Don't forget men's hair is often much thicker and darker than a woman's of the same complexion. Incidentally, if you are going to shave or depilate, Steven, do do your PITS. Men's pits are - well, the pits!

LOL .... I'm the opposite! Hate women's pits with hair but would find it weird to see a man without!