View Full Version : Considering Pairs

JSR
08-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Well, I've been skating for 4 years, and I'm seriously thinking about trying pairs skating. The problem is, I'm only in FS2 (Basic Grad), but skipping over 3 hopefully and into FS4 (Preliminary). What level should you be at before you try this?

Also, (heh, I'm just asking lotsa random questions,) how much taller than you should your partner be? I heard somewhere that 6" should do it, but I'd like to be sure.

I have a friend (or two) that I'd like to get involved with skating. Problem is, one of them lives one state away. He lives in my town, but he's away at college until summer and other random holidays. How do I try to convince them to start?

Anything else I need to know about pairs?:?:

sk8rbean
08-29-2003, 08:12 PM
you are ready to try pairs when you are a solid skater (IE you won't trip when you are lifting someone!

jp1andOnly
08-29-2003, 09:25 PM
i'd get my skill level higher. If you do find a guy you could practice stroking exercises and side by side jumps until a coach felt you were a high enough level. Stroking in itself can take a wack of time trying to master

Aussie Willy
08-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Hey if you have someone that you can skate with then why not. Just start off doing it for fun. I have friends who I just skate with and we do side by side jumps together just for practise. You will find your general skating can usually improve because another person can help push you along. And then if you both decide to get more serious then you can do that too.

There are no rules about this unless you really want to take it seriously. Just enjoy it!

Elsy2
08-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
Hey if you have someone that you can skate with then why not. Just start off doing it for fun. I have friends who I just skate with and we do side by side jumps together just for practise. You will find your general skating can usually improve because another person can help push you along. And then if you both decide to get more serious then you can do that too.

There are no rules about this unless you really want to take it seriously. Just enjoy it!

I agree with this, and also what JP1andonly said....if you have someone you can skate with, just stroking together and doing side by side jumps can be a real eye opener as to what lies ahead in pair skating. I used to do this with a friend, and we would also do a few pair spins, different spiral moves together, and some waltz/throw jumps. It was great fun, but made me realize just how difficult pairs skating is, and how much time and effort it would take to pursue it. My level of skating was certainly no higher than where you are at.

As for size....when watching some adult pairs at AN, I have to hold my breath when some of the men lift their partners. It's positively scary! Some of the ladies are not particularly petite....8O And some of the guys seem sort of scrawny to be lifing the ladies too....But all seem to have a wonderful time!

CanAmSk8ter
08-30-2003, 06:52 PM
If you already have a possible partner, then by all means give it a shot. I don't want to be a killjoy here, but as far as serious pair skating, I'll tell you what I know. Two of my best friends do pairs and have placed at Nationals twice.

First off, you don't say how tall you are but it's rare for a girl in pairs to be more than 5'1" or 5'2" and more than, say, 108 or 110 pounds. Many of them are just very small-boned and weigh more like 95-100 pounds. The ability to do pairs, more than any of the other disciplines, relies a lot on genetics and what kind of build you're predisposed to.

Level is the other issue. I don't know many coaches who would put a Basic Skills-level skater into pairs simply because of the high degree of risk involved with the elements. Most coaches I know who teach pairs (and I know several) like to wait until kids are Juvenile or Intermediate and have all of their singles and a few doubles very solid. The exception to that is with very young skaters; for example, I knew a coach a few years ago who had an 11-year-old pre-juvenile or juvenile boy, and a very good 8-year-old Preliminary girl whom he put together for a year. We have very few pairs in our region, so they did make it to JNs. It only lasted for a year, but if either of them decides to try pairs in the future- and I think the girl may very well do so, b/c she's very small for her age- they've got the basics down.

My advice would be to tell your coach what you told us. He or she knows you better than we do and can give you a more accurate assessment of your readiness to try pairs. (I assume your coach teaches pairs? Many coaches don't, so that's something else to keep in mind)

I assume you know that finding a partner is an uphill battle for girls in this country. I split with my dance partner in January of 1998 and still haven't found a new one. Many male skaters ask that the girl's family pay for various things for them- an apartment, lesson time, ice time, etc. Because there are so many girls who want to skate pairs (and dance) and so few boys to go around, it is often possible for the male skaters to find a girl whose family will do so. It's also generally expected that the girl will be the one to move to where the boy is, unless she's at a major training center and the boy isn't. Also, the majority of boys looking for girls for pairs these days, especially at Novice level and above, want a girl with at least double axel, and for Junior and Senior they often want a triple sal or toe as well. There's a reason we always have a lot more girls in singles than we do pair teams at regionals! Finances, body type, location, coaching, style, ability, age, experience... there are so many things that go into making a good team.

If you're lucky enough to convince your male friend to try skating, you're very lucky indeed! My dance partner and I used to fool around with SBS jumps and spins and it was fun. The problem with doing pairs at that level is that the USFSA doesn't really provide pairs competition until Pre-Juvenile, which isn't offered at most open competitions, and when it is offered in conjunction with Regionals you have to be under a certain age, either 12 or 14. At Pre-Juv, I would think most pair skaters have consistant Axels. In Juvenile, they definitely have consistant Axels as well as a good grasp of pairs elements, and they have to be under 13. It's not like in singles where you compete Basic X, then Freestyle X, then No-Test.

Elsy2
08-30-2003, 11:29 PM
I was sort of assuming that we are talking about about an older skater here, since JSR says her friend is in college....and so I'm thinking about her opportunities as a young adult. Starting now and looking towards competing as an adult is a whole different situation.

Lutzgirl
08-31-2003, 06:39 PM
well finding male figure skating partners these days is really hard!
but have u thought about asking around your club or posting a a notice on the skate canada website u neva know u could het lucky?

Mrs Redboots
09-01-2003, 05:37 AM
If you have, or can take lessons from, a male coach, the best way of starting is to do pairs with him. My coach's first love is pairs, and he lifts all his little girls.... one of his pupils, aged about 6, is doing pairs with her brother, who is a few years older. So one day I saw him (coach) lifting the child way, way above his head, and twirling round with her. Child's mum told me later that she'd asked her if she hadn't been frightened, only to get the reply: "Oh know, he's far less scary than [my brother]!" I must say, I do know the feeling.... I loathe pairs, and even the pairs moves we have to do for free and original dance these days. Pairs spins scare me silly!