View Full Version : Costumes!

Lutzgirl
08-29-2003, 08:53 AM
What kind of costumes do you prefer sparkly ones or just plain ones?
and not for competions practices as well!
I prefer Just pretty plain ones for practices and better ones for competion!
It try not to get ones with lots of sparkles on becuause it leaves debris all ova the ice!

people you can still get pretty dresses without all the sparkes and glitter and lace!

What do you guys think/

Black Sheep
08-29-2003, 09:22 AM
My current FS competition dress doesn't have a lot of sparkles and/or sequins, but it's still pretty. It's a black-and-copper metallic dress with a black chiffon skirt. However, when I saw another girl at my rink wearing the exact same dress for a regular practice session, I thought I had to do something to jazz up my competition costume. So I went back to my dressmaker's shop to pick up some copper stones to glue on the collar. Perfect! 8-)

Mrs Redboots
08-29-2003, 09:29 AM
I have only one dress with sparkles on it. My two dance dresses are very plain, but then I can liven them up with really sparkly costume jewellery. I wouldn't wear that sort of jewellery (it really is what you'd call bling bling!) off the ice, but it's great fun on it!

For practice and dance club, as plain as possible is my rule. It would be yours, too, if you were as fat as I am! T-shirt or polo jersey, practice skirt, tights, black Bridget-Jones-style underpants over the tights to keep them up and me decent if I should fall, and a cardigan or sweatshirt (or fleece, in the very cold weather) on the top. And perhaps my dance club badge.

SDFanatic
08-29-2003, 10:44 AM
For practice I stick with plain outfits, this one by far, is my favorite,

http://www.skatekilt.com\sk\steven101.jpg

It's velvet and is warm enough for the coldest rinks I go to.

For fancy, (although I wear this one to practice too) I love the blue in this one,

http://www.skatekilt.com\sk\steven106.jpg

Although I agree with you on leaving debris on the ice, I counted five lost sequins this time around, but didn't see any on the ice and only one in my truck.

I really like something that has a nice print to it, or like a two tone contrasts, like my black with lime green stripes, or royal blue with red. I do have a solid velvet cobalt blue outfit that looks black, but shows a blue tint under the lights.

Steven

96.23??
08-29-2003, 12:29 PM
Most of my dresses have sparkles, my favourite is red with rhinestones near the neck it has a chiffon skirt and chiffon ruffles at the end of my 3/4 length sleeves.

CanAmSk8ter
08-29-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm an ice dancer, so for competition- at least for the big ones- I totally go for the fake flesh and rhinestones. Not to the point of tastelessness, though- at least I hope not! Seriously, I see things on the elites sometimes that you couldn't pay me to wear, but since I'm only in novice most of those costumes would look ridiculous on me anyway.

At my rink it's totally uncool to wear dresses to practice, so the only time I do is when I'm on a competition practice, or when I'm trying out a competition dress before an event. We all have to do that sometimes, so that's cool. My practice dresses for competition are usually like what I wear to test- nicer than something that's just out of a catalog (if it is just something out of a catalog I add stones to it) but not as fancy as what I wear for the competition itself. My mom can sew, so most of my dresses are things she's either made or altered significantly. A lot of times we'll buy a regular dress and she'll take off the skirt and give it a dance skirt and then I do the stones. By the time we're done it's not usually recognizable as the same dress, LOL.

Mel On Ice
08-29-2003, 03:05 PM
I hate it when men look better in dresses than I do.

SDFanatic
08-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
I hate it when men look better in dresses than I do.
!

Steven

BringontheRain
08-29-2003, 03:40 PM
For practice, I never wear a dress, or at most 1x a month. I wear black spandex pants or shorts and a tank top.

For competition, I wear awesome dresses, we usually buy a plain dress and stone it. My mom does the stoning. This yr I borrowed a dress and it was gorgeous too. My dresses usually have a fair amount of stoning but aren't overdone. Here are some pictures

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=02BP00L81F0019&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=02BP00L81F0002&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

None of the other ones are still online. This is the borrowed one in the links.

I love dresses with a lot of stoning but not overdone.

SDFanatic
09-01-2003, 12:22 PM
What about flat skirts? I've asked around about them as they seem to be all the rage for practice, my seamstress tells me it makes the hips look smaller and more in proportion to the chest.

Personally I think they are a bit boring, they just sit there and really don't have much movement of flow to them compared to a traditional skirt.

Steven

JDC1
09-01-2003, 03:37 PM
I don't wear them yet!! I feel very proud that I bought a skirt and wear that! :-) There are really no rules as far as I can tell at "my" rink but I'm pretty removed from any clicks that the teens would form so who knows. Most of the young ladies wear either spandex pants (black) or they wear a plain dress with a sweater over the top for warmth. Most ice dancers wear longer skirts, some for camoflauge and some for the movement, I prefer to wear free style length, I'm short and I think the shorter skirts are more flattering on me.

tidesong
09-02-2003, 06:24 AM
I made nearly all my costumes (some helped by my mum). I have two sets with a shiny ribbon sewn as decoration, one set with glitter glue dotted in the front and one set with sequins sewn diagonally down the front and trailing into the back. So it varies with the dress i guess.
This is the most glittery onehttp://home.graffiti.net/tidesong:graffiti.net/306nats.jpg