View Full Version : Some Skaters!

Lutzgirl
08-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Dont you find that just some skaters are soooooooooooooo cocky?

Especially when they are at a higher level than you and are older!
i dont know why but i am really really angry at this and that is because the coaches see it and never do anything!

Ithink it should be stopped because it is like a form of bullying!

what do you think/

96.23??
08-28-2003, 08:39 PM
If the skaters aren't doing or saying anything to you it's not quite a form of bullying. People with a higher confidence level aren't nessecarily (sp :S) cocky. Don't let it bother you pretend like you don't even notice it ,if it is bothering you so much, because if people don't listen to them they probably will stop.

jp1andOnly
08-28-2003, 08:56 PM
IMO you sometimes need a cocky attitude to be a champion. hat doesn't mean you have to put down other people, but creating an atmosphere around you that says "im a champion" boosts confidence and leads others to believe that the person is confident.

If the person is bad talking others and going around saying" im the best" one day someone is going to come along and kick her a**. Just remember, you might be the best in your club, region, are,a etc, but someone out there will always be better than you!!!

Chico
08-29-2003, 12:04 AM
A "champion" doesn't need a cocky attitude. They do need to feel confident in themselves. Confidence doesn't equal a bad attitude. In fact a real champion has a positive attitude towards themselves AND others. From my experience folks with respect for all rink mates are "champions".

Chico

TashaKat
08-29-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Chico
A "champion" doesn't need a cocky attitude. They do need to feel confident in themselves. Confidence doesn't equal a bad attitude. In fact a real champion has a positive attitude towards themselves AND others. From my experience folks with respect for all rink mates are "champions".

Chico

ITA. Confident DOESN'T have to equal cocky. I have also found that the most cocky AREN'T the most successful. A lot of my skating 'friends' have been very successful and have been so sweet to both me and other adults. They've helped me with my skating, stood at the side and cheered me on for my tests (at the start of my Prelim Free they had to hold the music because they stood in a line at the barrier and did a big cheer as I took up my starting position!). They're great 'kid's' and THANKFULLY outnumber the brats!

I have also found that some coaches, unfortuately, don't just disregard the bad behaviour but positively encourage it!

I'm just grateful that the good kids vastly outnumber the bratty ones :D

x

Mrs Redboots
08-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Yes, I've only met one champion skater who was what you might call "cocky" - and we teased him out of it. The adults just banded together and he was like, "I'm so-and-so...." and we were like, "So what?" And by the time he moved on, as he eventually did, he was just one of us.

All the rest of our elite kids are very nice people, even if one of them did throw a grape at me this morning. I was off the ice at the time, I hasten to add. But that's the kind of relationship we have with each other.

Sometimes the teachers have fusses with each other, and accuse each other of trying to own the ice, but we skaters stay out of that!

JSR
08-29-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm not saying you have to be "cocky", exactly, to be a champion...You just have to have confidence. Our club's coaches actually want us to be cocky, in order to gain more of that theatrical quality. It's the same way with our Thespian Troupe. The coach wants us to be cocky.

I'd like to say that I'm not cocky; that's something my private coach hates. She says I need to get out there more, and have more of an attitude. Sometimes, just sometimes, the judges like people to be cocky. It's a little odd, yes, but as long as it doesn't get extreme, the people that know you don't really care.

I suggest that perhaps you try talking to the girl at your rink, and try to get to know her better, or at least be on civil terms with each other. There's nothing worse than a full-blown skater fight. They can get pretty dangerous with those blades. ;)