View Full Version : I know why my IEs come easy...I'm knock-kneed

danibellerika
08-28-2003, 07:31 PM
If you don't know what that is, here's a picture:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/ortho/images/ped19.gif

My legs are like the picture in the middle. The first pic is of someone bow-legged. The last is of a normal legge person. As you can see, my legs naturally go inward. I was trying today to glide straight on one foot and I could with me left when I really tried, but with my right, I couldn't. It would just curve on the edge. I was able to glide on the IE though with one foot briefly. Maybe it was the blade I don't know. I didn't know skating on a flat would be so hard. I'm now sure my OEs are going to be super hard to get. I think someone bow-legged would have an easier time with OEs though since their problem is the opposite of mine. Does anybody have knock-knees and can give me some tips?

Andie
08-29-2003, 12:35 AM
I can't really help, I'm more like the normal-legged person. Doing OE's is easier for me than doing IE's. I can do a decent Left Inside Edge, but my Right Inside Edge is a pretty rusty.

icenut84
08-29-2003, 08:57 AM
I'm slightly like the middle picture too. But if you're having problems skating on a flat, especially if the problem's mainly just on one foot, it's worth getting someone to look at your blades (eg. a coach). Back when I was in beginners classes, we had to glide backwards on one foot on a flat, with the other foot held out in front. I could do it on my left foot, but I couldn't on my right foot - I kept falling to the inside no matter how hard I tried to go straight. I also had problems getting a RFO edge. Eventually, I got a skater and then her coach to look at my right blade, and he told me it was set too far to the outside. I got it altered and it was fine after that. It's worth asking, just in case that's the problem.

JSR
08-29-2003, 08:46 PM
I have the same problem as you. Try going to the chiropractor, it'll help loads, especially since we usually have problems with our knees and backs hurting. The most likely thing is your alignment is out of place. That's what it was with me. Granted, we can't go on a regular basis, because it's expensive, but it helped.

And, try doing your spiral position, and while you're lifting your leg up, have someone turn your free leg so your knee is facing sideways or up. It'll help you to open up your hip. Just keep working on those outside edges, and they'll come eventually!

:D Good luck!

SDFanatic
08-29-2003, 11:07 PM
I agree with icenut84, get your boots and blades checked, it doesn't take much for either to be off and effect your edges.

I have a flexable arch, when I put weight on it, it collapses, and from that, I get a slight pronation. So naturaly I tend to fall on my inside edges as my feet push out. I had wedges put inside my boots and its helped a great deal in keeping things straighter, as well as taken the pressure off my arch.

Steven

danibellerika
08-30-2003, 01:05 AM
Wow these are excellent suggestions! I really appreciate it. JSR, my lower back bothers me as well.