View Full Version : Tights!

SDFanatic
08-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Ok, since I’ve been working on this warm and cool color thing, (thanks to everyone and their input!) I got all lost again when selecting tights this morning.

First off, I prefer Danskin, they stretch good and are pretty warm, the last couple pairs I have from them though are darker then the ones I bought last year however. And a recent pair of footless ones I bought have a more reddish tint to them rather then the lighter beige. I like Mondors color compared to the new Danskin color, even though they both are suntan, but the Mondors are a bit thinner and more chilly.

Some people say the color should match your skin, while others say its ok to go darker because of the ice, and it also makes the legs look thinner. (My legs ain’t skinny!)

Then of course there’s Capezio, and they have a much wider color selection then anyone, but my pro shop doesn’t carry all the different colors so that I can easily compare how they look. I have two kinds from them, one is beige, and the other has the more reddish tint, but not as deep as the new Danskins.

I’ve also never put a run in my Danskins yet, except for an over the boot pair, while Mondors hardly last at all, having gone through four pairs this summer.

Last but not least, I usually wear two pairs for warmth, usually my footed Danskins with Mondor footless regular or woolie’s or Danskin over the boot. This of course creates even more fun as the colors are not the same and can change depending on how you do it.

Is everyone thoroughly confused yet?

What’s your thoughts on tights and color?

Steven

Black Sheep
08-28-2003, 07:10 PM
My favorites are the nude Mondor Opaque Plus footless tights (with or without the stirrup thingies that velcro around the boot). Seems to me they go with everything! 8-)

Sk8Bunny
08-28-2003, 07:36 PM
I really dislike Mondor tights. They dont last and are thin and get holes/runs in them very quickly. My fav kind are Danskins. I love these tights! Especially the OTB kind. Also, danskins makes a color of tights that matches almost perfectly w/ my skin tone so for compeititions, danskins are a must:D I dont mind Capezio tights, tho i dont use them often. has anyone tried the tights that GK-elite makes? if so, what is your opinion of them? they are fairly new if i remember right. Havent tried them but i have seen them in some pro shops before.

DancinDiva
08-28-2003, 08:10 PM
I have tried the GK Elite tights and I really like them! They are pretty light, so the match my skin well, and they last for a long time. That has been my experience, anyway.

96.23??
08-28-2003, 08:28 PM
mondor footed!

montanarose
08-28-2003, 10:07 PM
Lately I've been wearing Mondor OTB tights -- I forget the style number but they're the ones with the three Velcro fasteners -- over my Capezio footed tights. Of course, I wear the Capezios full of runs, snags, etc. until they finally fall apart :lol: but who can tell? The Mondors are somewhat on the heavy side but also plenty warm. I do love (even prefer) the look of the Danskin OTBs but don't like having to sew the little hooks-and-eyes onto them, lazy non-domestic-goddess that I am.

TashaKat
08-29-2003, 02:41 AM
I wore danskin 'footed' tights with the thick Mondor OTB/footless or stirrup tights over the top. When it was really cold I used to wear my 'woolies' from ballet (thick knitted footless tights).

A funny story about tights ......

One of the ladies at my rink was doing a test and ALWAYS wore tights with 'tops' (the line around the top of the leg). I was voted by her coach to 'ask' her to wear skating tights for the test. She agreed (phew) without too much of a battle but said "but you can tell her that I'm wearing black, it's FAR too cold to wear tan" ........

x

blurrysarah
08-29-2003, 05:59 AM
I'm a Danskin fan. I have a pair of Mondor OTB's and they just aren't as thick as the Danskin ones. Mondor gives less coverage, you can always see the white of the boot underneath.
I've had only one pair of Danskin's since last year, I do keep them in good order though. Every little hole is attended to with nail polish, larger holes are sewn up. As far as the little hooks go, I don't use them. I just pull the stocking over the boot and they stay put (well, until I do a few back lunges).

Lutzgirl
08-29-2003, 08:50 AM
I think Mondor is the best kin of skating tights!
They are warm and comfertable and i have been using them thruoght my skating career nearly everyon at my club uses those tights because they are the best!
So to all those people say i hate mondor because they get holes in really quick i say well maybe you shouldnt fall as much and actually start learning your jump(s)

Thats just my opinon

Black Sheep
08-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Sk8Bunny
My fav kind are Danskins. I love these tights! Especially the OTB kind. Also, danskins makes a color of tights that matches almost perfectly w/ my skin tone so for compeititions, danskins are a must.

Danskins nude footed are what I use for competitions. Seems to me they last forever! 8-)

Alexa
08-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Lutzgirl
So to all those people say i hate mondor because they get holes in really quick i say well maybe you shouldnt fall as much and actually start learning your jump(s)

[/B]

Was that necessary? It is fine to express your opinion about tights as everyone else is doing, but do you really need to insult the people that dislike the tights you like?

quarkiki2
08-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Well, I don't skate in a dress, but I wear tights under my leggings. Just plain old white microfiber from Target. I have used the same three pair of tights for a year now. They are starting to get holes in the toes, but for $5.00 I won't mind getting another pair. I wear black leggings over the top and pulled down over my laces. When I first started skating I was paranoid that I'd get a blade caught in a lace during a crossover, so I cover them.

In fact, my black leggings are from Target, too! My fuzzy brown ones are actually the bottom part of an outfit from Express that I wore six years ago, LOL! Brown velour and very warm. And, strangely, the envy of some of my instructors who always ask me "Where did you get those? They look so warm!"

LoopLoop
08-29-2003, 10:51 AM
I wear two pairs of Capezio dance tights. I like them because of the range of available colors; I'm pretty pale and my skin has a strong pink tint, so regular skating tights look like I have paint on my legs!

96.23??
08-29-2003, 12:30 PM
I have mondor footed tights and I find I get a lot of holes in the feet, has anyone tried these tights, and found a better brand?

SDFanatic
08-29-2003, 01:37 PM
You can try going up a size, and also make sure your nails don't have any edges or anything to catch on.

I like my Danskins, they seem to stretch so much more then the Mondors, and feel much warmer.

Steven

P.S. Wanted to add, I just checked Danskins website and they have, Flesh, Light Toast, and Classic Light Toast! And here I thought they only made Light Toast! The pro shop swears the only color they've ever carried was the Light Toast, but my old ones are lighter then the new ones, I'm thinking they are Flesh then. They don't have Flesh for over the boot however, and they don't list footless ones at all! I guess when I eventually put a hole in the toes of mine, I'll cut the feet off and make them footless!

Mrs Redboots
08-30-2003, 06:42 AM
For competition, I wear over-boot tights - Mondor, I think, but I wouldn't swear to it. For everyday, I wear cheap(ish) 40-denier tights from John Lewis which don't have a hard line at the thigh. And boot covers! Even when I'm wearing trackies, I wear boot covers....

icedream
08-30-2003, 08:16 AM
I wear mondor footless tights and the over the boot kind for shows/competition. They're pretty dark, but I don't care. They're also really warm :D

land64shark
08-30-2003, 11:21 PM
DANSKIN! I still have the four pairs of footed Danskin tights that my daughter wore for 2 years and outgrew. Then her little sister wore them for 2 years as well! Not a single little hole or run in any of them. That should speak volumes.

I've been buying the Mondor's for the past couple of years because they were handy in the pro shop. They run very easily and are way thinner (colder) than the Danskins.

I want some nude colored tights and the pro shop doesn't carry any so I'm going to order online from somewhere. If I have a choice, I'll go Danskin.

SDFanatic
08-30-2003, 11:56 PM
You can order them directly from Danskin now, www.danskin.com and they have Flesh, which is Nude. I think I'll ask my pro shop about ordering in a pair or two and see if they match my lighter ones. I just think the ones I bought last time are darker then what I prefer.

Steven

Oooo! I should add, they their having a sale on them too!

AshBugg44
08-31-2003, 06:02 PM
Most of mine are Capezios in suntan. I have a pair of Mondor footed but they are really warm and I skate in a mall so it's rarely chilly. Lucky me.

CanAmSk8ter
08-31-2003, 10:17 PM
I prefer Capezio and Mondor because they run big enough that I can wear a Child Large/12-14 instead of an adult size. I save like $2-3 per pair this way. I don't like Danskin as much because their Child 12-14 is just a hair too short, but their Adult Small comes up higher than I like. I'd actually be right between the two.

I actually prefer Capezio for competition. I have very fair skin, and I've found that my over-the-boot tights (I think they're Mondors) match my skin color better with white or pink Capezios underneath. Two pairs of the regular color together are too dark to look natural on me, but with a white or pink pair underneath they're actually a pretty good match.