View Full Version : Skate SF 2003 Oct 31-Nov 2nd 2002 - San Francisco, CA

jazzpants
08-27-2003, 02:40 AM
And while I'm at it on shameless plugs for skating competitions... (The guys at my rink aren't gonna forgive me if I don't announce this competition!!!) I will be at THIS competition, but only as a spectator this year again. :(

Skate San Francisco 2003 Website (http://www.scsf.org/skatesf/skatesf2003.html)

Anyone going? :D

jenlyon60
08-27-2003, 05:28 AM
If I hadn't already committed to skate at the Garden State Pro-Am Dance Classic, I would consider it. If nothing else, to have fun, visit relatives, etc.

ask8ingcat
08-27-2003, 09:26 AM
you benchwarmer! You were a spectator last year too! When you gonna compete?
C

jazzpants
08-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ask8ingcat
you benchwarmer! You were a spectator last year too! When you gonna compete?
C

Definitely after I've passed my Bronze Moves! When that $#^*&% test is out of the way, THEN I'll start focusing on a Bronze FS program! Right now, BOTH of my coaches are getting nit-picky on back crossovers and 3turns... (Yeap, basics again!!!) :roll: (You can tell Mistress Coach that I'm definitely being properly "gang-coached" and majorly harassed over here in SF!!!) ;) :lol: Otherwise, I would not hesitate to do this event again! It's A LOT of fun, especially for the grown ups!!!

Are *YOU* competing, ask8ngcat??? :P

Drats, Jen!!! I was looking forward to meeting 'ya!!! :(

C'mon guys!!! It's a gorgeous rink!!! And it's usually very pleasant weather around this time of the year too!

http://www.skatebowl.com/360view.html

jenlyon60
08-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Drats, Jen!!! I was looking forward to meeting 'ya!!! :(

C'mon guys!!! It's a gorgeous rink!!! And it's usually very pleasant weather around this time of the year too!

http://www.skatebowl.com/360view.html

Come skate at the Washington FSC New Years Adult Invitational.... All Adult skating, all the time....

31 Jan thru 2 Feb 2004, at Ashburn Ice House.

PattyP
08-27-2003, 04:54 PM
I will be there this year so I expect the ice to be properly blessed for me again as you did so well last year! ;)

My only problem is not knowing what level I will be skating at. I think I will make another attempt at my Gold FS in Sept...then again, I may not be ready to compete at that level. :roll:

Either way, I will be there. It's a great competition with lots of adults participating and I always have a great time in SF.

Patty

jazzpants
08-27-2003, 05:51 PM
(*Jazzpants ordering ice blessing water from her secret website...*) :P

PattyP: Yes, I will bless the ice again before the competition, but you'll have to do your part in staying healthy (i.e. no stomach flu, injuries, etc...) before the competition! :P You have 'til Sept 20th (registration deadline) to decide whether to compete as a Gold lady or not!!! :P

ask8ingcat
08-27-2003, 06:08 PM
Go Patty Go!!! I hope you pass your gold. Nothing at all to do with the fact that I will be relieved to not have to skate against you. LOL. Congratulations by the way on passing your gold moves. I started working on mines this month and boy, I think It will be a while! Great job you!
Cathy
ps. Joanna, I will probably be there.

Lutzgirl
08-27-2003, 09:34 PM
no srry im not going to it im only watchinn this year cause iam takin a break!

PattyP
08-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Congratulations by the way on passing your gold moves. I started working on mines this month and boy, I think It will be a while!

Thanks Cathy! I worked on those &$^@#! moves for a full year and I was still a nervous wreck testing them.

I compete tonight, at the Silver level, in Culver City at the Golden West competition. My event is at 9:40pm :roll: I'm going to be half asleep by then! I normally skate at 6:00am so I'm usually in bed by 9:40...this should be interesting.

PattyP

Black Sheep
08-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by PattyP
I compete tonight, at the Silver level, in Culver City at the Golden West competition. My event is at 9:40pm :roll: I'm going to be half asleep by then! I normally skate at 6:00am so I'm usually in bed by 9:40...this should be interesting.

PattyP

And I thought competing at 9:00 p.m. was bad! I can't believe you have to skate so late. Why must they do that to adults? Unfair!

Oh, well, as long as you just get out there and have fun, you'll do fine! 8-)

ask8ingcat
08-28-2003, 06:11 PM
Good Luck PattyP! Let us know how you will do. May the axels be with you tonight
. Are you sure you wouldn't want to just skate up for now until you pass your Gold Freestyle. LOL. It would be good experience.
Cathy

jazzpants
08-28-2003, 08:49 PM
GO PATTY!!! Go kick some ice butts!!! And let us know how you did...

http://smilies.crowd9.com/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif

Actually, I would prefer to skate later, since I'm more of a night owl. I hate it when they schedule competitions for pre-Bronze events first thing in the morning. I probably will be half comatose by the time I'm on the ice if I was competing... :P

Cathy... good experience eh? ;) We know your game... ;) LOL!!! :lol:

PattyP
08-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Good Luck PattyP! Let us know how you will do. May the axels be with you tonight
. Are you sure you wouldn't want to just skate up for now until you pass your Gold Freestyle. LOL. It would be good experience.
Cathy

Thanks Cathy and Joanna! The axel was with me in the warm up , but for some stupid reason I two footed the landing in my program. The rest of my program went pretty well and I ended up 2nd out of 6. I was very happy with that result.

I don't think they will let me skate up at Skate SF....hopefully I wont need to worry about it.

PattyP

Terri C
08-30-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
Come skate at the Washington FSC New Years Adult Invitational.... All Adult skating, all the time....

31 Jan thru 2 Feb 2004, at Ashburn Ice House.

Jenlyon, are these the official dates for the competition next year?
If so, Jazzpants, get on a plane! I'll be there!

jenlyon60
08-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Terri C
Jenlyon, are these the official dates for the competition next year?
If so, Jazzpants, get on a plane! I'll be there!

Yes. That's the dates I've been told.

jazzpants
08-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Well, despite my better judgements (and depending on how fast my coach gets my program together) I might be doing Skate SF 2003 after all! It'll be an interp program, not Adult pre-Bronze.

Why the change of heart: My mistake from last year was that I was not having fun doing other things while doing nothing but Bronze moves this year, hoping that I would pass it by end of year. After nine more months and still no Bronze Moves test passed (never mind my rate of progress) I think it's time for me to take a break and do something fun. My primary coach seems to agree too...and it wouldn't hurt to do something else besides moves to round out my skating. (I haven't worked much on freestyle, short of the backspin, which they're working on since I'm VERY CLOSE to getting it!)

My original plan is to work on my Christmas program...but if my primary coach gets my Christmas program in fast enough, we agreed to also try for Skate SF too! Why shouldn't Cathy, Patty, and Jay's other adult students get to have all the fun???" :P ;)

I don't know if I'll be at the Invitational though... I have to watch my cash...and I don't know if I'll get the time off either! :(

Mrs Redboots
09-01-2003, 05:34 AM
Well, despite my better judgements (and depending on how fast my coach gets my program together) I might be doing Skate SF 2003 after all! It'll be an interp program, not Adult pre-Bronze.
Fun!!! So what are you going to do, or don't you know yet? Your coach is renowned (is that the word? Or do I mean "infamous"???? :evil: ) for his interpretive programmes, so I bet he gets something really super for you. Main reason I stick with my own coach is that he's so superb at Interpretive.... which isn't my first love, but it's the branch of the sport I'm best at!

jazzpants
09-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Fun!!! So what are you going to do, or don't you know yet? Your coach is renowned (is that the word? Or do I mean "infamous"???? :evil: ) for his interpretive programmes, so I bet he gets something really super for you. Main reason I stick with my own coach is that he's so superb at Interpretive.... which isn't my first love, but it's the branch of the sport I'm best at! I don't know yet... since I've picked out four pieces of music and said "Here! Pick one of these!!!" I will tell 'ya it's NOT one of those programs that are "Jay renowned :twisted: " (TM?). Jay, being Jay, could pull something like THAT out!!! Mine will definitely be something I could do in front of the kiddies at Christmas! (Since of course, the original plan was to do something for the Christmas show.) :P :lol:

ask8ingcat
09-01-2003, 01:34 PM
cool Joanna!
can't wait to see :) i'm struggling to be ready for skate st. moritz. coach put two axels in there %(#$. And having to skate at 10 pm is a bummer.
oh well, got two weeks to pull it together. Keep us updated on your interp number.
cathy

jazzpants
09-02-2003, 12:06 PM
cool Joanna!
can't wait to see :) i'm struggling to be ready for skate st. moritz. coach put two axels in there %(#$. And having to skate at 10 pm is a bummer.
oh well, got two weeks to pull it together. Keep us updated on your interp number.
cathy Two axels in your program and you have to do them at 10pm?!?!? EVIL, EVIL MISTRESS COACH!!! LOL!!! :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Good luck at St. Moritz!!!

PattyP
09-02-2003, 02:18 PM
10:00pm!?! and I was *****ing about 9:40pm. That is just not fair. Don't they know us adults are too tired by that hour.

Good luck Cathy! I will send you positive axel vibes.

I was told this morning that I will have two axels in my program for Skate SF and it will be at the Silver level. I guess there will not be a second gold test until I show that I can do two in one program with some consistancy. Oh well, I guess I can see her point.

Joanna, I'm so glad you are going to do it! I will be doing my interp program too (granny's coming out of retirement) ;)

PattyP

jazzpants
09-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Ditto here on the axel vibes to Cathy, though I can't do them yet!!! :P :lol: Too bad we can't get Patty not to compete against you at Skate SF! Tee hee!!! :P :lol:

Granny's coming out of retirement!!! WOO HOO!!! GO GRANNY!!! :P

ask8ingcat
09-04-2003, 07:27 PM
hey thanks for the axel vibes... they work! except my knee is starting to really bother me again. I'm taking gucosomine and hopefully that will help. Ugh, the rigors of getting old in a sport like this.
Uhmmm. I think you will see Patty and I head on at Skate San Francisco. Both of us with TWO axels. Grrrrrrrrr... Coaches. What are they thinking?
And Granny. Good for you for coming out of the closet. yahoo! I can't wait to cheer you on.
Cathy

jazzpants
09-09-2003, 01:43 PM
Okay, here's the piece I'll be skating to...

(Praying that Cathy doesn't do this piece as an interpretative, since her Josh Groban piece was sorta an inspiration for picking this piece...) My piece is Clay Aiken's "This Is The Night."

I have 3 reasons for picking this piece:[list=1] Keeping up to date with this year's AI winners! :P I want something "inspirational." The original piece I picked is right for Christmas but a bit depressing. Since this is really for a Christmas program, I want it to be a cheerful piece This is probably a piece I can envision Jay skating to for an interpretative... and probably one where if I have to make a "stage presence" that I can always make fun of him by pretending to be him doing this piece. :lol: :P I liked the Josh Groban's "To Where You Are..." piece, but I obviously can't do the justice to that piece the way Cathy can. :P
[/list=1]GOOD LUCK, Cathy! Go kick some ice butts there!!! Is Mistress Coach gonna be there? Or will you have a sub? (Need one? No charge...) :P

AshBugg44
09-11-2003, 01:58 PM
I may be competing. I still have to work on my mom. I live in Northern Oregon so yeah it's gonna get a little expensive. But there is someone who is driving so I just may be able to go!

jazzpants
09-11-2003, 03:18 PM
KEWL!!! 8-) Should you decide to join us at Skate SF, please let us know what level you will be competing at, so I could find you!

jazzpants
09-14-2003, 10:21 PM
First some shameless plug and bumping up the thread: For those who are thinking about skating at Skate SF this year, the deadline is Sept 20th.

Second thing: A BIG CONGRATS to ask8ngcat for getting the gold in Adult Artistic!!! She faced a TOUGH bunch this afternoon, but pull through!!! (Mistress Coach is just proud!!!) You go, GIRL!!!

And you guys don't want to miss the Silver II FS competition between her and PattyP at Skate SF this year. A two axel program from the both of them?!?!?! This promises to be a FIERCE battle! (Can you say "MEEEEOWWWW???" *claws out*) LOL!!! :lol: :P

ask8ingcat
09-14-2003, 11:01 PM
hey thanks! It was a good night. I felt pretty good and to win topped it off. Did you see Joan Cristobal skate? she is such a beautiful skater. looks like she lost some weight. Maybe she'll make it to nationals again.
Well see you at skate sf for sure!
C
:D

jazzpants
09-15-2003, 03:13 AM
hey thanks! It was a good night. I felt pretty good and to win topped it off. Did you see Joan Cristobal skate? she is such a beautiful skater. looks like she lost some weight. Maybe she'll make it to nationals again.
Well see you at skate sf for sure!
C
:D

Yeap, barring my job, injuries (or my check bouncing for the Skate SF entry...) :lol: :P I sure did see Joan Cristobal skate. She is a *gorgeous* skater!!! :D but she faces a TOUGH bunch of skaters from la-la-land! Hope she makes it to Nationals again, but we'll see! :)

Now to go shopping for a dress... uh huh... :roll: (Gawd, I HATE wearing skating dress!!! On everyone else, fine! Just not for me!!!) :P

AshBugg44
09-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Looks like I just may be going! I have to raise all the money myself but I'm really determined to go and I want to go so bad so I think I can do it. It's really close to regionals though, but oh well! lol

jazzpants
09-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by AshBugg44
Looks like I just may be going! I have to raise all the money myself but I'm really determined to go and I want to go so bad so I think I can do it. It's really close to regionals though, but oh well! lol Good for you!!! :) So... what level are you planning on competing at? (So I could cheer for you...)

I plan on being a wimp and doing "Adult Amethyst", but may get pushed into skating up at "Adult Emerald" if there's not enough people in "Adult Amethyst." Let's see how torturing myself on Bronze Moves for a year and a half turns out. :lol: :P

PattyP
09-16-2003, 02:35 PM

And you guys don't want to miss the Silver II FS competition between her and PattyP at Skate SF this year. A two axel program from the both of them?!?!?! This promises to be a FIERCE battle! (Can you say "MEEEEOWWWW???" *claws out*) LOL!!! :lol: :P

Gee, thanks Joanna :P I can give you the outcome now, Cathy will kick my b#tt!

My two axel program became a no axel program this morning and my coach is suggesting that I skip the competition this year. :( I'm training for a marathon that I will run on Oct. 12 and the fatigue from training for it is affecting my skating. I figure that I will have 3 weeks to recover from the marathon and I want to go just to see everyone...who cares how well I skate...Oh, I guess my coach does. :lol:

Thanks for the reminder, I will get my application together today and mail it before she tells me not to...haha!

PattyP

AshBugg44
09-16-2003, 05:28 PM
I am competing Pre-Preliminary but I don't know which level because I have to find out what is in each one lol

AshBugg44
09-17-2003, 11:04 PM
I am definately going! And I am in Pre-Pre2

jazzpants
09-18-2003, 03:01 PM
YAAAY Ashley!!! :) I hope your competition is at a time that I'm not at work. (Since the competition starts on Friday...)

Wouldn't you know it! As soon as I filled out my form for Skate SF, my skating started going down the toilet again! My "competition curse" lives on... :roll:

Patty: good luck on the marathon! And please conserve "some" energy for Skate SF. Remember: my "blessing the ice" is only good if you're physically well. ;) :P

PattyP
09-22-2003, 02:21 PM
I have some depressing news...I will not be competing at this year's Skate SF :cry:

I ended up a little short on $$ due to some unexpected car trouble. After 10 years and 170,000 miles, I think I need to replace it.

Good news is that I will probably have a new car soon, but I now cannot afford to travel up to SF.

I still may drive up and be a spectator if I can work it out.

PattyP

jazzpants
09-22-2003, 04:18 PM
PATTYP!!! NOOOOO!!! :cry:

Yeah, I know what you mean on car troubles. I've been trying to save up for a car for the last 3 years... and I keep getting laid off and having to live off on money saved up for the car. :( I have a job now, but hubby still doesn't have one, so saving up for a new car is very tough on me. (Someone in the SF Bay Area, PLEASE hire my husband for a software QA gig!!! I want to afford a new car so I could continue to work!!!)

I still hope you could make it as a spectator though. I just turned in my forms and the check for the competition. Now to find a dress... (or some stones for a dress I already have.)

Mrs Redboots
09-23-2003, 06:37 AM
I'm sorry you aren't going to be able to compete, Patty. I've just learnt that our skating life may be limited, as my job will come to an end in December - and at my age, and being obese, I'm not very likely ever to get another. :( Still, if I don't, it won't be for want of trying - but if I don't, we'll have to hang up our boots, I expect.

PattyP
09-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Oh Annabel, that is bad news. I'm sorry. Kinda puts it in perspective for me. I will say a little prayer for everyone to find or keep jobs so that we can all keep skating.

If I could sleep on Joanna's floor, maybe I could have still done the competition...HaHa. Don't worry, I'm just kidding. ;)

I'm now going to focus on that #&*&@ Gold FS test and try to test it again in Nov. I landed a decent d. sal this morning, so I'm excited to try to move up again.

jazzpants
09-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by PattyP
Oh Annabel, that is bad news. I'm sorry. Kinda puts it in perspective for me. I will say a little prayer for everyone to find or keep jobs so that we can all keep skating.

If I could sleep on Joanna's floor, maybe I could have still done the competition...HaHa. Don't worry, I'm just kidding. ;)

I'm now going to focus on that #&*&@ Gold FS test and try to test it again in Nov. I landed a decent d. sal this morning, so I'm excited to try to move up again.

Sure Patty! I have an extra bedroom... but I use it as a storage room now. I'm still moving in... and I've lived in my house for over 4 years now... :P (I'm kidding too... at least not w/o talking to hubby about it.) ;)

ANNABEL!!! NOOOO!!! Not you!?!?! What happened?!?!?!

http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/kao/otn/pcrying.gif

(If there's anyone I don't want to give up skating, it's Annabel!)

I think I'll start a "Jobless Support Group" thread on the "Non-Skating Discussion" group tonight. This economy *SUCKS*!!! I could barely afford this competition at Skate SF. Not sure I want to try for Sectionals either b/c of the job situation. I may just stick with local shows for now...