View Full Version : My Coaching Career is Over.....

Black Sheep
08-25-2003, 06:18 PM
.....before it even started.

I'd been looking forward to teaching learn-to-skate classes at my local seasonal rink all summer. I was a student teacher last year, and the skate school director was a former precision teammate of mine from the '80s. Anyway, I really enjoyed helping to teach, and my director friend appreciated my help so much she asked me to be on the payroll the following year.

Unfortunately, my friend has flown the coop, and the lady who has taken over promised to send me an application for a teaching job has yet to make good on this promise (I asked for one two weeks ago! ). Those teaching positions will fill up fast without me, I know. :(

How could my own home rink turn against me after all I've done for them? :frus:

dbny
08-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
two weeks ago![/I] ). Those teaching positions will fill up fast without me, I know. :(

How could my own home rink turn against me after all I've done for them? :frus:

Go and see her. She may have lost your address. Tell her what you said here about student teaching. Even if all you can get from her is more student teaching, do it. I volunteered in a Mommy & Me class last year, and was just called and offered a job teaching it this fall. You just have to keep at it with the new skating director.

Black Sheep
09-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Having been away over the Labor Day weekend, I just got my packet of employment/instructor forms today! But according to the cover letter the deadline was August 15. I don't know.....:roll:

Suzanne
09-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Well, try anyhow! You can always mention that you just received them in the mail, well after the deadline. However, you're so eager to do this that you thought you'd take a chance that they'd still accept them.

Good luck!

kgl2
09-11-2003, 05:07 PM
If your learn to skate program is part of a Parks and Rec city program, go to the director of Parks and Rec. We've experienced this blatant favoritism at every rink we've gone to: the "head pro" only hires her own students and finds every reason in the world to deny employment to qualified candidates who didn't study with her. It's all about control. And it's sad. But if you have the credentials, the Park & Rec director may see the power play for what it is and maybe will intercede for you.
Good luck!

Black Sheep
09-11-2003, 05:18 PM
I turned in my completed forms last week. I just have to wait and see if there's room for me in the required CPR and First-Aid Training classes at the rink next week. Even if I don't get a call back, I'm going anyway. 8-)