View Full Version : correct way to do power pulls?

mikawendy
08-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Hi, everyone--
I was wondering what the correct technique is for doing power pulls? (I'm not sure what they're called in the UK but basically it's a one-foot slalom.)

I'm asking because I've heard different things from different instructors--one had us swinging our torsos and arms around to get the movement; another said specifically NOT to do this--that the movement and the power comes from the action of the knee bend and pressure on the edge of the blade.

Thanks!

Zoomana
08-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Knee bend and pressure of the edge of the blade is correct. However, it is a lot easier to do them with the swinging torso! But all the "action" should come from the skating knee and foot, not the upper body.

Also, most coaches want to hear that "ripping" sound. Argh. The only time I hear that sound, I feel incredible muscle tension. However, it is the correct way to do it.

kayskate
08-23-2003, 07:49 PM
I agree w/ the knee, ankle, and skating blade technique. I also like to point my free foot in the direction of the pull. This may be more of an aesthetic. I also like to conclude a length of pulls w/ a change edge swing roll.

Kay

96.23??
08-23-2003, 09:02 PM
I agree too.. It's about the knee/ankle. Hearing the ripping isn't too hard.. if you can get on a deep enough edge.

dbny
08-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Moving your shoulders and arms in opposition to the edge you are on is an acceptable and very useful learning technique, and I have seen skaters pass Pre-Juv with that technique, but it should be refined out as you improve the skill.

KatieC
08-25-2003, 08:46 AM
Thank you dbny, after reading the above posts I was thinking, "Oh, no, I'm doing it all wrong, and it took me so long to figure out how to do them." Now I know I'm just in the learning stages and it's all right. :) :)
I'll just have to keep working on them a bit!