View Full Version : Buckeye Open 2003

Black Sheep
08-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Does anyone have any info. and/or forms on the all-adult competition in Ohio in October??

Mel On Ice
08-23-2003, 07:45 AM
I downloaded a form, but it was from last year. My friend Denise has been in touch with someone from that club, and she will let me(us) know when it will be available online.

Yes, I'm thinking of going!

sk8er1964
08-23-2003, 08:58 PM
I was thinking of going, but it would certainly help if there was at least info on the dates available. Does anyone have a website for the club that might have the dates? Also, if anyone of you knows anyone from that club, ask them if they could put the info up on skatestuff.com. That would help!

Michigansk8er
08-26-2003, 10:49 AM
I suggested to the chair last year that she put the info on sk8stuff.com. She'd never heard of the site. I contacted someone from the club after AN this year and suggested they at least get the dates out there for this year's comp if indeed it is a go. I was told at that time that it was. So far, nothing. Seems very unorganized to me. Obviously, the adults running this don't need the lead time to plan time off of work that some of us do. It was held at SportsPlus in Cincinnati last year. Maybe with all of their current problems it's been put on the back burner? I hope not. It's great to have some all adult comps out there. Besides, I heard their medals were really cool. :)

Black Sheep
08-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Michigansk8er
It was held at SportsPlus in Cincinnati last year. Maybe with all of their current problems it's been put on the back burner? I hope not. It's great to have some all adult comps out there. Besides, I heard their medals were really cool. :)

What problems?? Do tell!! 8O

Michigansk8er
08-26-2003, 11:00 AM
According to the South Dayton FSC's website the date is October 25th from 10:00am - 6:00pm at SportsPlus in Cincinnati.

http://www.sdfsc.org/calendar.html

Michigansk8er
08-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Black Sheep,

I think I might have the wrong club in mind.

Black Sheep
08-26-2003, 08:19 PM
BTW, I've actually emailed South Dayton FSC about Buckeye Open, and several club officers answered saying they'd keep me posted....8-)

sk8er1964
08-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Well, I'm not going. My home club's competition is the same weekend, and I've already put my application in for that. Guess that's what happens when you don't announce the dates early enough, hmmmmm???

Michigansk8er
08-27-2003, 10:44 AM
Black Sheep,

Keep us posted. Maybe your email will nudge them a bit to get the date posted and applications out.

Mel On Ice
08-28-2003, 11:17 AM
It is really annoying to think they don't have the applications out, esp. if they hold true to the deadline date they set last year of Sept. 15.

I am now thinking of not going. My team starts regular practice for our new program today. It will be the first time I've competed USFSA synchro, and I'd rather be well-prepared for that as opposed to hauling my cookies to Ohio. I don't think my freestyle and artistic programs will be ready by then either.

Michigansk8er
08-28-2003, 04:19 PM
It seems like they did the same thing last year. Does anyone remember?

Black Sheep
08-28-2003, 05:30 PM
With all this mess, I'm starting to think of not going myself.....

Mental Floss
08-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks so much for your efforts, Black Sheep. I attended last year and was wondering why I hadn't heard a word about this year's competition yet. Nothing's been posted on the South Dayton FSC website about it; I've wondered if they were not going to hold the competition this year.

I can say that the trouble they had last year was that in trying to assemble the competition anouncement in July, the referee for the event had to withdraw, and it took a little time to find a replacement. That meant that the announcement was delayed a bit last year. But they had it out by mid-August, if I remember correctly--plenty of time to enter before the September 15 deadline. Perhaps this year they are looking at an October 1 entry deadline, and won't be getting the announcement out until early September. That's just speculation on my part. Interesting that they booked the competition for only one day. Don't competitions tend to grow a bit from year to year? We had a good time and I would have thought that with positive word-of-mouth, this comp might actually be a bit bigger this year. It will be interesting to see what happens. And yes, the medals were very cool. They were rectangular with the competition logo on them, and the logo was enameled in color. Not your standard gold-silver-bronze-pewter medallions, for a change.

sk8er1964
08-31-2003, 08:40 PM
Someone apparently from the rink said on another forum that I am on that the date is Oct 25th, that there are some new events, and that the deadline for application is still Sept 15th. This person said the apps aren't out yet, and the info isn't on line yet.

Mental Floss
09-05-2003, 06:57 AM
I just received an e-mail today from the competition co-chair with the Buckeye Open announcement attached to it. My e-mail says that the announcement is also being posted on the South Dayton FSC website at www.sdfsc.org. The entry deadline is still September 15 so if you want to go, you will have to act fast!

Black Sheep
09-05-2003, 09:33 AM
I just got mine via email. However, I'm not entirely sure I'll make it at this point. Can I make the Sept. 15 deadline? Can I get off work? Stay tuned....

Mental Floss
09-05-2003, 09:45 AM
I agree--I'm not sure if I'm going or not. My husband I have our house up for sale so who knows what our time frame will be for moving. New long program isn't really ready either! Guess I'll have to defer to my coach on this one and see how strongly he feels about me entering this competition, or another one that is more local to me and 2 weeks after the Buckeye Open. :?:

Mel On Ice
09-08-2003, 10:54 AM
apparently, it's on and the documents are available for download. THe deadline is next Monday, thanks for the short week to decide!

www.sdfsc.org