View Full Version : What types of gloves do you prefer?

Aussie Willy
08-22-2003, 08:22 AM
An answer to the tissue thread gave me the idea for this one. Do you prefer the full fingered gloves, fingerless gloves or mittens?

I like fingerless because at least I can blow my nose, tie my laces, ect without having to take my gloves off.

Michigansk8er
08-22-2003, 08:27 AM
I wear winter cycling gloves. They are waterproof (they have suede palms) and have padded palms, which really help with falls. My coach hates them, and won't let me wear them for program run-throughs, but aside from that he's adapted. They are great!

dbny
08-22-2003, 09:29 AM
I buy the knit "magic gloves" for $.99. They are easy to put on and take off, stuff into a jacket pocket easily, and last a long time. I have them in different colors, and used the red and green in coaching tots: red on right hand, green on left, with the tot wearing the same.

TashaKat
08-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Yep, cheapie 'magic' gloves with fingers for me too! I 'lose' so many by coach nicking them, kids nicking them, losing them, putting my fingers through the ends ...... they don't half stink, though, if you forget to wash them on a regular basis (the kids have 'whiffy glove' competitions to see whose smell the worst :roll: ) ;)

x

Skatingsarah
08-22-2003, 10:55 AM
I'm all for the magic gloves too. I'm so forgetful I always lose them so the fact that they only cost like 99 cents is PRETTY good for me. I mostly have to throw them out or take the time to sew them up... BTW I'm only tryed sewing them up once because a week later I was back were I began. I always wipe my blades, I guess thats my bad habit, I dont even notice I'm doing it, hence the gloves with all the holes in the fingertips... ;)

garyc254
08-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey Aussie Willy!!! Good to hear from you. Haven't seen you around for a while. :D

Black "magic" gloves for me. Full fingered and cheap. I carry two pair in my skate bag and a couple of spare pair in my car.

skatepixie
08-22-2003, 01:14 PM
bare handed.....

icedancer2
08-22-2003, 01:16 PM
In a cold rink I usually go from mittens (keep your hands warmer by having all of your fingers close to each other), to magic gloves (so cheap!! have many pairs that I wear interchangeably) and then to bare-handed.

melanieuk
08-22-2003, 01:42 PM
woolly, full fingered.

flippet
08-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Magic gloves. I call them 'glovies'. :D I stock up on these when they go on clearance at discount stores at the end of the winter. I always seem to have halves of six or so pairs floating around in bags or pockets somewhere. If it's really cold, I just wear two pairs at at time.

96.23??
08-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Big thick warm mittens for me!

Azlynn
08-23-2003, 12:22 AM
I can't skate in mittens. It's some strange, freakish thing, but I feel off balance, and can only stand it for a few minutes. Those cheapie magic gloves for me as well, usually bought for around 50 cents on sale. I did get a few pairs of a nice thicker fleece kind, very similar, for only around $1, but when teaching little ones... found that they stuck to the ice and left little coloured fleece prints all around, lol! Back to the magic.

jenlyon60
08-23-2003, 07:34 AM
cheap gloves

I buy a couple pairs of the stretchy gloves every year when they go on sale at Target or Walmart.

Magz
08-23-2003, 08:34 AM
I skate with just the little cheap gloves or my "wittle gwoves" lol. I lose them all the time, but i usually have almost 5 pairs, but when i run out they're really cheap to replace lol

Zoomana
08-23-2003, 07:51 PM
I must be weird. I must have very nice velvet gloves, in colors to match outfits (so far I have black, red and silver/grey leopard). Retail in Macy's $30. Marshalls I have found them for $15. They are velvet on the outside and lined fleece in the inside. They would last forever except for the fact that when I am not "getting" something in a lesson, I tend to chew on one of them (I know, ick). I don't have a problem with losing or stealing since I never take them off (carpal tunnel leaves my hands freezing all year long). The only time I ever skate without gloves is practicing for a test and taking a test. For some reason, I have been told gloves and any arm/hand jewelry are tres gauche. Go figure?!

I tried the cheapy ones because I could match every outfit, but I'm so hard on stuff that they ended up shredding after a pratice or two, so I gave up.

jazzpants
08-24-2003, 12:08 AM
Fingerless weight lifting gloves with the wrist strap. (Helps protect my wrist if I fall to not twist.) :)

Vicki
08-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Land's End Polartec gloves during all but the warm summer months. They're great!

Mrs Redboots
08-25-2003, 11:30 AM
I tend seldom to wear gloves, as I always wore them when I first started, and had to train myself not to wear them for my first test. So now I only wear them if my hands are incredibly cold, and then only until they warm up. Mostly whatever happen to be in my coat pocket - usually those cheap and cheerful "magic gloves" with black or grey hands and multicoloured fingers.