View Full Version : Where do you keep you tissues?

Aussie Willy
08-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Just a stupid question but a fun one.

I keep mine tucked under the pants of my skating dress. Sounds gross but I cannot be bothered running back and forth to the side of the rink to get a tissue every time my nose runs.

Another question - what color tissues do you use? I use colored tissues because if they were to drop on the rink at least you can see them. However if they do drop you can easily be dobbed in as the culprit.:)

The Ice Demon
08-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Interesting topic

I always wear fingerless gloves when training and stuff a tissue up each glove. Not v hygenic but at least if you come out of a spin and need one quickly they are there!! I do wash my gloves every week!!
However i occassionallyy (SP) get asked what the lump is in my glove!
I use white tissues. I prefer the ones that have aloe vera or eucalyptus in them as they seem to be stronger and dont pull apart if your hands are slightly damp.

Stormy
08-21-2003, 07:56 PM
My skating club is very cool in the fact the skating director buys boxes upon boxes of tissues for all of us to use. Out of her own pocket, too. We keep a box on the boards. I need tissues on a regular basis when I'm skating, so I am eternally grateful they're always there! :)

dbny
08-21-2003, 07:59 PM
I keep them in my right jacket pocket, or tuck one into the top of my pants if no jacket. I always wear a shirt untucked, so nothing shows.
I have only worn a dress to test, and luckily, didn't need a tissue during.

96.23??
08-21-2003, 08:04 PM
On the boards! :)

montanarose
08-21-2003, 09:39 PM
When I skate at the rink where I have my contract ice, it's a no-brainer: as part of the ice contract, each skater has to provide three boxes of Kleenex directly to the rink. So there's always a big box of Kleenex set out on the boards for everyone to use.

At other rinks, I just stuff my Kleenex in my bra (well, in my cleavage, to be exact . . . it's not as if I'm trying to enhance my bra size, LOL!)

blurrysarah
08-21-2003, 11:45 PM
We've usually got tissues on the boards. If not, tissues go in pockets or placed precariously in the elastic of my pants.

jazzpants
08-22-2003, 12:19 AM
I carry the small travel size plain white Kleenex in one of these...

Money/Passport Belt (http://www.letravelstore.com/MB40020.htm)

It keeps it pretty neat. No sweat on the tissues... and it's relatively thin enough where it's not too obvious under a long shirt! :D

Of course, my problem is NOT carrying them... it's tossing it away AFTER I use them!!! :P (Particularly at this one rink I frequent where the wastebasket is blocked by Plexi-glass and I have to get off the ice to toss out the tissue.)

I don't have the option of keeping the tissues at the board during public sessions -- especially my practice sessions during the weekend. Some kids just LOVE to move things or destroy things that are NOT there and I have to hide them to keep them from getting to them!!! :x

skatepixie
08-22-2003, 01:30 AM
I dont feel the need. I do need lip gloss though, for my dry lips, its the mositure kind, chap stick makes my lips nasty, and I keep that in my bag and put it on during zam, hokie pokie, and guys only skate.

Mrs Redboots
08-22-2003, 01:45 AM
I usually have a "Handy Andy" pack in my kit somewhere; if I think I'm going to want it, it goes on the barrier beside my water-bottle and coffee cup. One skater of my acquaintance just rushes into the loo, but that is really an excuse for a breather in her lesson! Another skater carries a loo roll with her, and uses it to wipe off her blades as well.

When I skated at the Paramount Rink in Los Angeles, I was very impressed with the little box of tissues attached to the exit/entrance gate for skaters' noses and blades!

TashaKat
08-22-2003, 02:00 AM
I use beconase for hayfever which has solved the 'snot spin' problem (hooray!) but still keep tissues in my skate bag 'for emergencies' .... not that I'm skating at the mo but when I do .... I do .... if that makes sense!

x

jenlyon60
08-22-2003, 05:56 AM
Inside the front pocket of my ratty gold polar fleece. And it's usually a length of toilet paper pulled off a roll in the ladies toilet.

Aussie Willy
08-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks for your answers. I am particularly impressed with the rinks that are kind enough to provide the tissues.

Funny how when you see videos of the top skaters during practise they are always wiping their noses too.

Well while on the subject of runny noses, one of my past coaches used to tell me on cold mornings when she practised spins, her and her friends would get big strings of snot hanging from their nose and if they stopped suddenly the snot would smack onto the side of their face. They would even have competitions about this.

Also another coach would get a runny nose in a competition and always had a fancy little hand move that covered up the fact she was wiping snot from her nose during her program.

Runny noses are definately one of those things that go with the skating territory.

As another question: How many tissues do you usually use during a session? (indicate length of session) I usually use about 4 or 5 over a two hour session, depending on how cold it is.

Michigansk8er
08-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Where I skate we have a roll of toilet paper in the sound box and run it out the little round hole in the plexiglass. We can just skate by and grab a piece.

I also have an insulated water bottle holder that has a pouch on the side. I keep some kleenex in there and set the bottle on the boards.

Skatingsarah
08-22-2003, 11:01 AM
WE just keep our kleenex on the boards, but most of the time if someone doesnt bring any theres always someone who goes into the washroom and pulls like 2 metres of toliet paper out of the dispenser. BTW this is a good idea for a thread I never realized there were SOOO many places for tissue...!!:!:

Cereal Killer
08-22-2003, 11:09 AM
I used to keep mine on the sides of the boards, but then my partner would use them as an excuse not 2 skate, then my coach got pissed at us, and banned tissues from the rink:(

melanieuk
08-22-2003, 01:44 PM
The ones I'm currently using:
Usually up my sleeve, inside my gloves, or tucked in the hem of my leggings.

The used ones get screwed up in a ball and put in the barrier till I get off ice!

The clean ones are on the barrier with my water bottle.

jazzpants
08-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
When I skated at the Paramount Rink in Los Angeles, I was very impressed with the little box of tissues attached to the exit/entrance gate for skaters' noses and blades! I wish YB has something like that, but knowing the kids that come in on weekends, they'll probably trash the entire rink with those tissues. :roll:

BringontheRain
08-23-2003, 03:51 PM
At one rink I skate at they provide them on the boards.

At my usual rink, I bring a box and leave it on the boards with all my other stuff, I take up a huge section w/ everything (screwdriver, butt pads, waters, notebook etc ... ) ... I use about 15 a session anywhere from 40 min to 1 hr sessions.

kayskate
08-23-2003, 07:46 PM
I keep a big stash of snotrags in my skate case. From there, I take a supply an keep them on the boards w/ my guards, dance diagrams, and water bottle.

Kay

sk8er1964
08-23-2003, 08:39 PM
I carry a box of kleenex with me at every session. I tuck the used ones into the pocket of my jacket, even if the jacket is hanging over the side of the boards.

PattyP
08-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots

When I skated at the Paramount Rink in Los Angeles, I was very impressed with the little box of tissues attached to the exit/entrance gate for skaters' noses and blades!

Paramount is my home rink and unfortunately when they recently rebuilt the boards, the tissue box went away. :cry: So now I bring my own box and place it on the boards or steal them from my coach's kids...they steal mine too so it all works out.

PattyP

icesktrkidz
08-25-2003, 01:42 PM
At our rink (not always known for it's cutting edge) we have taken a very inovative approach to tissues. All of the half use extra large toilet tissue rolls that they take of of the bathrooms are stored and used on a toilet paper dispenser mounted in the hockey box. That way we save on the toilet paper being disposed of before its time and having to always remember to bring in tissues.

montanarose
08-25-2003, 10:38 PM
And the take-home message of this thread is "Never shake hands with a figure skater ."

Think about it ;)

babyballerina
08-26-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy

I keep mine tucked under the pants of my skating dress. Sounds gross but I cannot be bothered running back and forth to the side of the rink to get a tissue every time my nose runs.

So does Irina Slutskaya. I saw her at early morning practises at europeans. So you are in good company.