View Full Version : southwestern Michigan ice dance?

backspin
08-20-2003, 02:21 PM
I'm looking at a job near Holland, MI. I know there is 1 ice rink there, & at least one other in Grand Rapids, but I know nothing about their programs or of other surrounding cities.

Anyone know anything about what's going on over there? I'm particularly wanting high level ice dance coaching.

flying~camel
08-20-2003, 04:01 PM
I live in Grand Rapids, MI, so I know alot about the scene around here :)

There is one rink in Holland, called Edge Ice Arena, and their phone number is: (616)738-0733. As far as I know, they mostly focus on ISI and hockey there.

I skate at the Standard Federal Ice Center in Grand Rapids with the Greater Grand Rapids FSC. The club's website is: www.ggrfsc.org (I am the webmaster ;))

In Grand Rapids, there is also Griff's Ice House, which has freestyle and dance ice through the Lake Effect FSC, and their website is: www.lakeeffectfsc.com.

And in Bryon Center, there is the Southside Ice Arena, which has freestyle and dance ice through the Southside FSC, and their website is: http://southsidefsc.homestead.com.

If you have any other questions about the area, please feel free to ask me! I moved here permanently from Chicago in 2001 (after graduating from GVSU, which is in Allendale, MI), so I know what it's like to relocate to the area.

backspin
08-20-2003, 05:14 PM
hmmmm, the Southside FSC has folded, I see no mention of dance on the Lake Effect site, & I can't get any of the navigation buttons to take me off the home page of your site. :( Not very promising so far.....

flying~camel
08-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Erg... The server's flaking out on me for the GGRFSC site :(

I can tell you for sure that GGRFSC offers dance... in fact, my coach is the dance coach. I can give you her email address if you'd like.

Mel On Ice
08-21-2003, 12:00 PM
I can attest to the quality of flying camel's coach, as she used to be my coach. She's quite snorty.

Southside HAS folded, I think most of the members have been absorbed by Holland or Lake Effect. There may be freestyles there, but I doubt it.

I know there is at least one skater at Lake Effect who studies ice dancing, Ellen Sui, but I don't remember who she was taking from, and it's not Mary Sue.

FC, what about the rink in northwestern GR, in the Walker area? It's a great facility, but there was no club there when I moved away.

I am trying to figure out a great weekend to come visit GR, and as always, I will pack my skates. I'll let you know FC so we can skate together if you want.

backspin
08-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Thank you, FC & Mel! So far all I've done is send a resume, so if anything actually comes of it I'll let you know. I am just looking at options of where to live, etc. (my whole family lives in Zeeland, & so I would want to be close, but not TOO close....) !! 8O

flying~camel
08-23-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
FC, what about the rink in northwestern GR, in the Walker area? It's a great facility, but there was no club there when I moved away.

I forgot about Walker Ice and Fitness (which is funny, since it's the closest rink to me!).

There still isn't a club there, and I really don't know a whole lot about their FS programs other than that most of their freestyle ice is from 6am-8am M-F.

Here's a link to their website: www.walkericeandfitness.com