View Full Version : Skate shop service

Alexa
08-19-2003, 10:46 AM
I am curious how other rinks pro shops are run and how skate repair is handled as I am frustrated with the repair work at my rink.

I am only a recreational skater, so the comfort of my skates is not of the utmost importance, however I did spend money on them and would like them to fit the best they can. My situation is that I have taken them in to be punched out in some spots twice. The first time went fine, but they were a bit conservative as they did not want to overdo it which is understandable. After that visit I have never had good service because the people I deal with do not have a clue about the skate shop services. They never call to say when they are done, nor is it guaranteed when you pick them up that anything was done to them--for all I know they sat on a shelf the whole time. Since this time I would like the service done correctly, I have emailed one of the managers with my concern, and hopefully that will help.

I was just wondering how other rinks handle this.... Do most of you have rinks with a larger shop/repair service that always has someone there staffed for the shop?

garyc254
08-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Most of our area rinks have no skate shop to speak of. We do have a couple of independent skate shops (not at the rinks) that do well with fitting new boots, sharpening blades, and punching out boots.

You might look for a shop around your area.

icedancer2
08-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Alexa -- I was wondering where you live, because several of the shops in my area fit your description.

There is one, thank god, that actually does a great job. I like Gary's advice -- find another place to do the work. Doesn't matter if you are a "recreational skater" or not -- you need to get good service.

Alexa
08-20-2003, 07:27 AM
Icedancer, I sent you a PM. Thanks all for the advice.

The only dilemma is that the rink pro shop is the only one in town that sells and works on skates. And I can get the work done for free since I bought the skates there. But if the service is not good this time around, I can travel about an hour away and find many more options. So, I may just have to look into that.