View Full Version : Ooh or Ugh - lessons/practice 18-24 August

Mrs Redboots
08-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Or even "Ew", as it is spelt in the USA!

I haven't actually skated yet today (I'm going very soon), but:

Ooh: My coach's wife had her second son this morning, 8lbs and mother and baby both well. However this means

Ugh: My coach won't be in this evening, so no lesson for me! And he has my music, so I'll have to make another copy if Robert and I are to get any significant work done!

JDC1
08-19-2003, 10:01 AM
Oooh - had fun doing basic figures, working on outside edge, very calming but also HARD.

Ugh - My wild swinging arms!! I need to tie them to my side since my feet always know what to do.

Mel On Ice
08-19-2003, 10:48 AM
Ooo! - all I did was lift my head and suddenly, there was my backspin!

Ugh - Now I just need to get the hang of is the exit.

icenut84
08-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Ugh: I thought about skating today - even though it would have been a (probably) busy public session. But I didn't. I fainted (again - second time in about 6 weeks, and I never have before) this morning. I hit my head. I'm ok now, apart from the horrible headache I've had all day! :( I was scared it might be something like concussion at first, but my mum said not to worry because if it was, I'd be throwing up and my eyes would be rolling etc. I did feel sick, but I didn't vomit (thank God), and I've (very) gradually started to feel better.

No "Ooh" this week. Likely won't skate again before next week.

96.23??
08-19-2003, 11:39 AM
ugh: Need to majorly tidy up my skills and dances for test day on friday!!!

JDC1
08-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Not to be annoying but have you considered seeing a doctor? Fainting can be a sign of something else being wrong with you.

batikat
08-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by icenut84
Ugh: I fainted (again - second time in about 6 weeks, and I never have before) this morning. I hit my head..

I went through a fainting phase in my late teens/early 20's - til I discovered I suffer from low blood sugar levels. Regular meals and a supply of raisins were the answer for me. (I learnt from the British army (after fainting in the jungles of Borneo!)that raisins are the best thing for low blood sugar as it avoids the sugar shock of sweets but gets sugar into you in an easily digestible form).

It may not be the cause of your fainting of course but it would be a good idea to get yourself checked out.

Oooh! only a few people on the lunchtime patch so plenty of space to practice. Sit spin not bad.
Note to Icenut 84 - doesn't the rink you now go to have patch ice you can use? Lunchtime patches in the holidays are a godsend!

urgh! salchow- awful, toe-loop awful, backspin - non-existent.

PattyP
08-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Big, huge OOOOh for me today...I passed my Adult Gold MIF test!!!!! I was so nervous before, but I seemed to get it under control before my test and everything went very well and was passed by all three judges and even received a few complements!:D

Ugh....Failed the Gold FS test. My legs were shot after the moves test and I couln't get the nerves under control. Fell on two attempts (one in my program and one in a re-skate) of my axel and that was the end. Oh well, I'm not too worried about repeating this one, I was much more concerned about the moves test.

PattyP

sk8er1964
08-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Ooh - Well, the decision has been made to test my Intermediate MIF's next month (assuming I can get into the test session - they cancelled this month's due to the power outage and rescheduled everyone for next month). Coach said I will be ready, but I'm a bit nervous because the only MIF test I've ever done was the Adult Gold.

Ugh - I had a collision today, the first I've had since I've been back on the ice. Nobody was hurt, but it was scary. I was doing my CW power pushes into power 3's pattern (or whatever it's called - I always get the name confused) when a dance team ran into me. Then, when I was doing another MIF, somebody at the edge of the ice screamed right behind me -- I about jumped out of my boots! I am so glad that this was the last time on this particular session because it has been like this all summer.

SDFanatic
08-19-2003, 09:56 PM
Oooh: Ice held up fine through the power outage and had no problems skating on Monday. My coach's second student didn't show up and she continued to teach my some stuff, was great as I'm not that quick with things!

Ugh: I tightened/loosened/tightened/loosened/tightened/loosened my boots at least that many times and they still felt like crud! Especially my right boot, thought I had a brick attached to it, and also felt disconnected.

Steven

Mrs Redboots
08-20-2003, 06:32 AM
Oh, how I hate it when that happens, Steven! Rachel, get yourself checked by a doctor, please - many girls and young women do go through phases of fainting easily, but it's as well to have a checkup to make sure there's no serious reason for it.

Meanwhile last night's session was mostly Ooh!. Made myself do all the things I'd normally do in my lesson, and was quite glad my coach wasn't there for some of them, as I know quite well what he'd have said! Husband arrived in good time, and we worked on some stuff together. The patch turned into a dance patch, although we don't normally separate, because there were only dancers there (oh, and one free skater, but she got off at about 6.45). The elite dancers are preparing for the Squad Camp this weekend (the adult international squad, as I gleefully pointed out, are having a picnic by a country lake on Sunday! Some of us are, anyway). At the end of the session, they play a Can-can and skate round as hard as they can to it, so I make Robert grab me and we skate round really hard, too, although we can't go as fast as the elites, naturally. I ended up almost losing it, as we were going so fast, I was seriously scared. Rob teased me, but I pointed out that skating outside our comfort zone was the Whole Idea!

Then the dance coach decided to pick on Robert's stroking, and made him work on not toe-pushing..... I was quite glad I'd got off the ice out of breath by then.

Figure Club was fun - only us two there, plus our visitor from Boston. We ended up working quite hard on our Tango (I know, I know, and we wouldn't have if there'd been other people there), and managed two complete run-throughs. Still a lot of bits that need work, and my favourite bit is proving nearly too difficult for me, which is really annoying. But nothing scary now, and I think we can polish it up in time. I hope so, anyway.

Got a lift home from the Figure Club Chair, who lives round the corner from me, and we ended up in the same supermarket, just 100 yards from where I live.

But almost the biggest "Ooh!" was that a load of 500 2nd-hand seats have been delivered, and are to be installed on the balcony, which is to be made safe. "Now we can have a Gala!" said the Figure Club Chair, cheerfully. But the absolute best thing about the chairs is their provenance - they have been sold to us from Maine Road, which as fans of English football will know, is the former home (until this season) of Manchester City!

icenut84
08-20-2003, 09:39 AM
To those who mentioned it - I'm going to the doctor's later on today. I had an appointment for tomorrow, but I got an earlier one because I'm a worrier. I'll let you know what the doc says.

Originally posted by batikat
Note to Icenut 84 - doesn't the rink you now go to have patch ice you can use? Lunchtime patches in the holidays are a godsend!

Not this week they don't. There's camps galore been going on (I think there's been free, dance AND hockey camps), so there's no practice ice this week. Should be back to normal by next week though, as far as I know.

blurrysarah
08-20-2003, 10:01 AM
Ooh: Loop jump! I actually gave it HEIGHT! And a little DISTANCE! Also tried to teach myself a few outside spread eagles, I must have travelled 4 feet at the most, but they are darn fun.

Ugh: Boots, boots, boots. Landed a mere waltz jump and almost twisted my ankle in them. And I can't for the life of me get my spins off that inside edge. Luckily I should be going for a fitting in less than two weeks, once that is done I'll order some over the net. I'm thinking another pair of risport rf3's and, instead of a coronation ace, John Watts classic blades.

Anyone have any experience with John Watts blades?

tidesong
08-20-2003, 10:43 AM
ooh:

flying camel had correct take off by end of the lesson, did one good camel-sitchange sit combination
revised backward inside three turn

uggh:

double toe loop.... fell and fell left right and every jump was different it was like totally hit and miss sometimes it was quite good (nearly full rotation) sometimes i totally slipped off the toepick and splatted.

after that whole thing too exhausted to do anything else right :P

batikat
08-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by blurrysarah

Anyone have any experience with John Watts blades?

I bought John Watts blades but had trouble getting used to them. They have a very pronounced rocker which was great for spins but I couldnt' skate well in them having been used to a much flatter blade. I have trouble keeping my weight far enough back on the blade anyway especially going backwards. I still have them but they were sharpened in such a way as to lessen the pronounced rocker which is better for me - mine are now unique.

I know a lot kids who have them though and think they are great so I guess it depends on what you are used to and your style of skating.

singerskates
08-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Ugh:
On the Ina Bauer:Well, I still am coming out too soon. I think I need to do more stretching and stuff and just plain keep on trying. I will get this thing someday, someway.

My spins were travelling badly on Tuesday. Went to the doc on MOnday
to get antihistamines and he looked at my ears and found that I have
fluid in my ears. I'm suppose to go back after a while to check to
see if it cleared or not. If not, I'm on antibacterials again.
Both Ugh and Ooh:
Jumps were either there or not. Toe loop when on was good. Salchow
same and waltz too. Even did a waltz/toe/toe, a half flip/waltz and a
salchow/toe. But once I got tired out went the jumps. Had to pull out
of my one and only attempt at my back spiral/salchow combo because
the traffic was too great times time. The public skaters stayed on
the ice way too long. LOL

Ooh:
Met some synchro skaters from Quebec who just moved here. They are 13
and 10 and have their gold skills and junior bronze freeskates but
don't compete anymore.

I'm changing clubs. Out with Riverside and in with Club Tecumseh.
Bigger ice pads (NHL size), flexable times to choose from where I can
choose the days, number of days and times and lower fees than
Riverside. Ice goes until March 19th, 2004. They even have ticket ice
in the early afternoons. Works great for me.

Brigitte

dbny
08-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Ooh:
Best ice I've experienced at my primary rink. I'm sure they must have had a total melt down during the blackout, and that's what did it.

Cross strokes are still there, back and forward. Power pulls are about the same, except maybe a little better on the forward, as I'm starting to be able to help them along with my shoulders. Forward power crossovers were stiff and slow until I saw a Novice level skater do them, and then they came back to me!

Ugh:
Still feeling stiff and slightly off balance from my time off this summer. I think part of it is my general lack of exercise. I'm now doing 10 min on Nordic Track every day, but can only skate once a week due to working on the house still. FI Mohawks feel sooo stiff, and I should be able to just do them like a knife through butter. I've vowed to to 20 on each foot every time I skate until they yield. Spins were no good at all :cry:

blurrysarah
08-21-2003, 12:09 AM
Thanks batikat, as far as the rocker goes I was thinking I might have the opposite problem to you. I'm skating on MK Club 2000's at the moment which have a 7ft rocker, and the John Watts Classic blades have a 7ft 6in rocker. Not much I guess, my current blades are lousy anyway, so anything is probably an improvement.

icenut84
08-21-2003, 08:30 AM
To those who mentioned it - I'm going to the doctor's later on today. I had an appointment for tomorrow, but I got an earlier one because I'm a worrier. I'll let you know what the doc says.

The doctor told me I have concussion :(. I had to go to hospital to have some x-rays on my neck, and fortunately my neck is ok (apart from a bad strain). Apart from taking painkillers and being careful, mum reckons I should not drive for a while, maybe a week, and I probably won't skate in that time either, just to be safe. I'm not in as much pain as I was last night though, so that's one good thing!

batikat
08-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by blurrysarah
I'm skating on MK Club 2000's at the moment which have a 7ft rocker, and the John Watts Classic blades have a 7ft 6in rocker.

The difference was not so much in the radius of the blades curve but in the profile which gives it a more pronounced 'sweet spot'. With my old blades the curvature was fairly even over the lenth of the blade whereas with the John Watts there was a pronounced change in the profile. You may well find you like this but you may also want to take your blades and compare the profile with the John Watts and other makes. As it happens I know the guy behind the John Watts Blades and he was a high level skater and coach himself and has put a lot of thought into developing the blades, so they should be good.

dbny
08-21-2003, 12:20 PM
The doctor told me I have concussion :(. I had to go to hospital to have some x-rays on my neck, and fortunately my neck is ok (apart from a bad strain). Apart from taking painkillers and being careful, mum reckons I should not drive for a while, maybe a week, and I probably won't skate in that time either, just to be safe. I'm not in as much pain as I was last night though, so that's one good thing!

Ouch! Sorry to hear, but very glad you did go to the doctor. Did he or she have anything to say about the cause of the fainting?

icenut84
08-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by dbny
Ouch! Sorry to hear, but very glad you did go to the doctor. Did he or she have anything to say about the cause of the fainting?

They checked my blood pressure 3 times and it's fine. I think the main reason was because I had been asleep and leapt out of bed at a million mph. I woke up because I heard my mum shouting. My older sister had collapsed, although she's fine now. (It's all going on! lol). I'm just glad my little sister hadn't got up 2 seconds earlier - if she had, she'd have got to my sister's door first, so I'd have been standing where she was. When I fainted, I'd have fallen backwards down the stairs!!!!!! Scary thought.

blondeangl
08-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Yesterdays practice:

Ooh: I FINALLY got my scratch spin good!! I did it with the check out and everything good!! Im so happy!! I also had all my basic 7 stuff really good and im testing next week! Waltz jumps were good, and salchow was landed bt not my best.

Ugh: Not really anything except im still not trying my loop jump (i dont know why it just freaks me out) and i dont want to try it without my coach and i havent had private lessons in over a month because i was gone and she was gone

96.23??
08-22-2003, 03:52 PM
OOOOOH!: today was test day and I passed the killian, starlight and senior silver skills!:)

Moto Guzzi
08-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 96.23??
OOOOOH!: today was test day and I passed the killian, starlight and senior silver skills!:)

Congratulations! :D

sk8er1964
08-23-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 96.23??

Way to go!!!

Ooh - coach gave me the go ahead to put in my application for the Intermediate MIF's....Sept. 20th is the day. I'm excited, but scared, because the only MIF test I've ever done before is the Adult Gold, and this one is going to be at a much higher standard 8O .

Also Ooh and Ugh -- I signed up for a 20 min stroking session (I am exactly 20 years older than the next oldest skater). It was fun (and they put me with the higher level/older kids, fortunately). However, it also showed me that I am nearly 40, not nearly 20 :roll: . I had to stop before the kids to catch my breath and get a drink of water. However, if this sesison does what I think it will, by the end I'll have good stamina and will be able to keep up with the kids :D !

MissIndigo
08-24-2003, 06:01 PM
Did not pass Bronze moves again. Took the test this morning.

Even my coaches were appalled at my marks, because they thought I was right on top of my game today. In particular, I got solid compliments from my moves coach today, and you really have to earn your praise from her--she's tough. She was extremely pleased with my performance on the test and we were quite sure it was a pass. One difference she noticed right away, she said, was that I had a great deal more confidence this time. When I told her the points in some of the moves where my knees were shaking or ankles were trembling, she said she never would have known--to her, I looked like I had command of the elements.

Then I had an asthma attack right after stepping off the ice. Better then than before I got my score report back. BOTH my coaches were appalled at my marks for the effort I gave. Moves coach told me that I am to test out of this area when I test again in November, and to not test with my home club again.

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Last time I failed by only 0.1 (and I had stomach flu!). This time, it was by a whole 0.5. Half a point!!! And I was healthy! Come on! Something is not right here. Other bad news--two of the three judges I had for the first attempt back in Feb. also judged today. I cannot believe that I could have possibly regressed during this time. (Or maybe it just wasn't my day.) I told myself that rink politics shouldn't play a role in whether or not I passed this test...and I have a sinking feeling they may have.

*stressed and frustrated*

But...
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0803/MissIndigo/7ed2985d.jpg
Never give up.

dbny
08-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by MissIndigo

Even my coaches were appalled at my marks, because they thought I was right on top of my game today. In particular, I got solid compliments from my moves coach today, and you really have to earn your praise from her--she's tough. She was extremely pleased with my performance on the test and we were quite sure it was a pass. One difference she noticed right away, she said, was that I had a great deal more confidence this time. When I told her the points in some of the moves where my knees were shaking or ankles were trembling, she said she never would have known--to her, I looked like I had command of the elements.

Yikes! Those are the worst, when your coach can't see why you didn't pass.

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!
ITA

Last time I failed by only 0.1 (and I had stomach flu!). This time, it was by a whole 0.5. Half a point!!! And I was healthy! Come on! Something is not right here. Other bad news--two of the three judges I had for the first attempt back in Feb. also judged today. I cannot believe that I could have possibly regressed during this time. (Or maybe it just wasn't my day.) I told myself that rink politics shouldn't play a role in whether or not I passed this test...and I have a sinking feeling they may have.

I agree that something is not right. The same judges, healthy, more practice & lessons, and 6 months later does not = lower score. In what way do you think politics may have had something to do with it?

sk8er1964
08-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Then I had an asthma attack right after stepping off the ice. Better then than before I got my score report back. BOTH my coaches were appalled at my marks for the effort I gave. Moves coach told me that I am to test out of this area when I test again in November, and to not test with my home club again.

AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

*stressed and frustrated*

But...
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0803/MissIndigo/7ed2985d.jpg
Never give up.

I'm so sorry! I'm not quite sure what is going on, but around here, apparently the many of the local judges just went through a MIF training program that has tightened up what they are looking for. It seems some of them have already put their new-found knowledge to use, even though the coaches hadn't yet been aware of the new criteria. Sigh - it's so tough when you KNOW you were good enough to pass but the rules were changed on you.

quarkiki2
08-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Lesson 1: ISI Freestlye 1

Well, apparently I can no longer call myself a beginning skater. Although I believe that I am. Our Freestlye 1 class is HUGE. 4 adults and about 6 kids. I really wish that they would have split the class, I've been in adult classes with four people and it's so much nicer. Not that working with the kids is bad -- I like the kids in my class, but it's occasionally hard to skate with them as our longer adult legs are better at stroking than their kid legs are right now. They're also a little less predicatble when it comes to following directions, which means that they aren't always following the pattern.

Anyway...

Ooh! We made it trhough most of the elements in the level today, which is nice because I know what to practice. Started with forward inside pivots. I had tried these once before about three months ago with little success. This time around, though, I was able to pivot two-three circles before exiting -- each direction. YAY! So even though I've struggled like heck with the three-turns, my skating IS improving. This made me pretty happy.

Then we moved on to arabesques and spirals. I have good position for both, just need to work on steadiness and speed. OK. I can do that.

Then we did the four-step mohawk into waltz jump. I thouth we were supposed to be doing the waltz jump out of crossovers, but I like the four-step set-up, that's fun. No waltz jump yet, just a waltz step. But I was holding my back edges in the mohawk pattern better than ever, yay!

We finished with two foot spins. This will need some work. I only rotate about three times and my feet kept sliding apart. Practice!

We didn't get tot he back edges nor the half-flip. I'm quite certain that I will need to spend a lot of time on the edges as it's like pulling teeth to get me to skate backwards on one foot. Hopefully the edge practice will make me more confident in the three-turn and then I won't feel like a fake in Freestyle with out forward 3's!

Congrats to 96.23
And "That sucks!" to MissIndigo. I'm sorry.

JDC1
08-25-2003, 10:36 AM
OOOH - I worked some more on my figures using my out side edges and they were pretty good. Did some decent Dutch Waltz's and my transitions are getting better. Worked on 5 step mohawk and felt pretty good.

Ugh - Session on Sunday was NUTS, I hate when they combine Dance and High Freestyle, 3 jumping beans jumping and falling all over the place made it a challenge but I worked on stroking and progressives.

quarkiki - on spinning on 2 feet, I recall you saying you ahve a good turn out from dance...well now here's your challenge, keeping your feet together and keeping your hips from turning out. :-) The good thing is you won't spend much time and energy on spinning on 2 feet as most spins are done on 1 foot anyway.

Black Sheep
08-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Ooh: I won the Adult Gold Ladies event at the DuPage Open last weekend (actually on August 17)! I skated my best ever, and my coach was very pleased.

Ugh!: For some reason, the DuPage FSC website hasn't posted my results! This is a pretty big competition (for a local one, anyway), so I'd love to get my name shown up there for 1st place.

Mrs Redboots
08-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Very well done, Black Sheep and 96.23!! Many commiserations to Miss Indigo.

No skating this weekend - it's a holiday weekend here, and I was down at my parents' place. But we had a picnic party for some of the Adult Skating Squad, rowing, swimming, walking, picking blackberries, eating.... and a very good time seems to have been had by all.

Back on the ice tomorrow evening, I expect, or just possibly not until Wednesday morning, we'll see.

96.23??
08-25-2003, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Black Sheep
[B]Ooh: I won the Adult Gold Ladies event at the DuPage Open last weekend (actually on August 17)! I skated my best ever, and my coach was very pleased.

NICE JOB!!

MissIndigo
08-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Congrats to Black Sheep and 96.23!!! I am happy for you!

Thanks to those of you who've offered me support here--I'm fired up now, and dang it, I'm going to pass that test next time! Even if I did feel defeated yesterday, I realized how many people I do have on my side who support me and my skating.

sk8er1964
08-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
Ooh: I won the Adult Gold Ladies event at the DuPage Open last weekend (actually on August 17)! I skated my best ever, and my coach was very pleased.

Woo Hoo Black Sheep! :D

jazzpants
08-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Major congrats to 96.23 and Black Sheep!!! WOO HOO!!! :D :D :D

MissIndigo... I'm sorry about your Bronze Moves test! :cry: I also suspect that the judges are extra tough around the deadline skaters tests for regionals (July and August.) I would wait 'til the next test session to test. And if your coach feels that going to another skating club's test session to test is better for you, I don't see a problem.

Me? At the rate that I'm going, I'll have a walking cane to help me do my power 3's by then! :roll: :P It would be a miracle now for me to pass the Bronze Moves by end of year now!

However, I'm NOT giving up either!!! :!: Especially given the encouraging progress I did make on this move this year. Last year was TOTALLY hopeless!!! :( If I'm not giving up, neither should YOU!!! So get back on the ice and do those 5 step mohawks, dang it!!! :P

MissIndigo
08-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Hey jazzpants--

Did you see the post in my LiveJournal that sums up how I felt about the test? I have to be dignified here, but I can post in the LJ whatever I want. ;) One gem of a graphic I found on the 'net sums up my thoughts exactly!

And I am not giving up, no way! I will be back out there next week, ready to rock!

jazzpants
08-25-2003, 07:47 PM
Hey jazzpants--

Did you see the post in my LiveJournal that sums up how I felt about the test? I have to be dignified here, but I can post in the LJ whatever I want. ;) One gem of a graphic I found on the 'net sums up my thoughts exactly!

And I am not giving up, no way! I will be back out there next week, ready to rock! Good!!! Good to see that you'll be ready to rock. Remember... in skating it's the journey, not the destination, that counts. Can't say much on the doctoral thesis though...

Yes, I know which graphic you're talking about. No horsing around there! :P

TreSk8sAZ
08-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Ooh: Cast is off, finally have some sense of balance. Some of my MITF are really coming together, and my dances rock right now

Ugh: I HURT. kill drills are just no fun when you haven't been seriously skating in 6 weeks (hence the point of the kill drills, but still!) I also fell HARD yesterday, so my hip, knee, and arm are all cut up. No jumps, no spins, but they'll come back (too bad I want them back now!!)

96.23??
08-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by TreSk8sAZ
Ooh: Cast is off, finally have some sense of balance. Some of my MITF are really coming together, and my dances rock right now

Yay! No cast!

jazzpants
08-26-2003, 04:02 PM
I got taught the FO edge by my secondary coach today... FIGURES method!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The deal is to correct my FO3!!! (She was watching me during my lesson with my primary coach.) I finally got around to doing RFO3, but the LFO edge was hopeless to start with. AUGH!!!

BUUUUT, there is a big reward: the RFO3 (when I got around to doing it right) was MUCH, MUCH EASIER to do!!! Almost no effort body wise!!! WOO HOO!!! Of course, all the effort went into keeping my torso/shoulders/hips correct!

batikat
08-26-2003, 05:27 PM
Had a lesson on the morning public session today. It wasn't as bad as I feared -perhaps because it was a bank holiday here yesterday so everyone was recovering /returning. By the time of my lesson in the last half hour a lot of people had got off so I was able to practice my 'march' OD for the British Adult Championships - lowest level!
After running through it with the music my coach decided that it may not win but the judges should certainly remember it for my two unusual moves - there is the back half swizzle to a jump where I click my heels together in the air and clap my hands over my head and then my lunge with a jump in the middle - that is quite fun when it works! Have to practice my pivots to get them smoother and slow down my mohawk but other than that I actually enjoyed doing it for the first time ever - maybe a march is not so bad after all.

Shared my lesson with my daughter who had the first part and tried out the basic dances - she is a Free and Pairs skater usually. She quite enjoyed herself so maybe when her brother quits skating and she is not doing pairs anymore she will do some more dance.

jazzpants
08-26-2003, 05:51 PM
I forgot to add in this for Monday night.... saw an old skating friend I haven't seen on the ice at the times I'm there. We started chatting and my primary coach sneaks up behind me and yells "Jazzpants!!! (well, my real name) - less talking, more skating!!!" in the "coach" tone. I said "Yes, sir..." and went right back to skate (thinking :oops: "BUSTED!!!") Then I made hand gesture to my skating friend of my coach cracking the whip! He yelled out "You could talk to him in 8 minutes during the ice cut break!" :lol:

Primary coach is onto me now! I better behave... ;)