View Full Version : Let's be creative!

Mrs Redboots
08-15-2003, 07:42 AM
I am basically hunting for ideas here. At our rink, teaching ice time is provided by the rink, and paid for by the teachers; we skaters pay the teachers an agreed amount to use the ice. The Figure Skating Club and Ice Dance Club both have an hour's ice time each week, for which a separate fee is payable; the Ice Dance club uses its hour for social dancing, and also runs learn-to-dance classes and (I hope) occasional seminars. The Figure Skating Club used to meet on a Saturday morning, and was basically a time when skaters - usually, but not invariably children - could have their music played and practice their programmes, or just work on moves or whatever. Private lessons were allowed. Now, however, with the new management, there is far more teaching ice available, and the allocated slot of 7-8 pm on a Tuesday evening simply isn't being used. There was precisely one skater there on Tuesday - admittedly, this is in the middle of the holidays, but even still. And I'm told there are seldom more than four or five people using the ice. You can understand it - they don't want to pay another fee for just one hour on the ice that isn't different from the 2.5 hours they've just had.

So how can the Figure Club best use its ice time? Does anybody have any really creative ideas that have been successful where you are?

skaternum
08-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Maybe I'm having a slow day, but I'm confused. Who "owns" the Tuesday 7-8 pm slot? The Figure Skating Club?

LoopLoop
08-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Maybe some group classes? Things like power stroking, edgework, choreography and style...

JDC1
08-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Well you could do figures. :-) OR you could do sort of an improv thing where you put on music and people have to perform and impromptu program. :-) You could have mini competitions, fastest stroker around the ice, farthest waltz jump, best MIF, longest held spiral, etc. One of the coaches that does a stroking class has the kids in two lines and she has the skate halfway down the ice, put their hand down and skate back and tag the next skater, the kids really get into it.

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Maybe I'm having a slow day, but I'm confused.More likely I'm being unclear! Who "owns" the Tuesday 7-8 pm slot? The Figure Skating Club? Yes, that's right. But obviously if they are only getting 1-2 skaters on the ice, the management will take it away from them as unviable.

Thank you for your ideas so far! Keep them coming!

flippet
08-16-2003, 11:02 AM
I like the idea of specialty classes like LoopLoop mentioned. Either a string of classes devoted to one specialty (like power stroking), or a string of variety classes with different nights devoted to different specialties. I know if my rink did this, I'd sign up! :)

skaternum
08-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Annabel. I second the suggestions of LoopLoop and flippet. I'd also suggest that you do a class/classes with a variety of instructors. Maybe market it as a chance to experience a variety of coaches. If the club has skaters transitioning from basic skills to figure skating or dance, it would also be a great way for them to "try on" some coaching styles without committing to any one in particular.

skatepixie
08-16-2003, 07:41 PM
I like the improv idea. Everyone could draw a slip of paper from a hat and have a # on the paper and improv to the music they got w/out ever hearing it. A group of friends could even go out and do it on one song. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.

jamie_rae352
08-18-2003, 04:32 PM
why don't you put in a stroking session?? my club really regrets taking it out and we're putting it in again this season because it does wonders for your skating

dooobedooo
08-18-2003, 10:39 PM
I think you need to develop and promote this as a beginner/intermediate figure skating evening (not dance!!), to bring new people into the sport at your rink. This means a meeting of your figure skating club committee to organise the ice time.

I would suggest:

1/2 hour of group classes at all levels (you could start these in September, for the new season). You may be able to make some arrange ment for a combined class and public session fee. This could cover all the NISA lower test levels from beginner up to level 9.

1/2 hour of intermediate master class for spins, jumps, footwork, presentation etc and including power stroking at least once a month, or possibly every week for the last 15 minutes of the class (first 15 minutes would be spins/jumps). Organised to a pre-set published timetable (eg. Every month: week 1: spins; week 2: jumps; week 3: field moves; week 4: power stroking; week 5; presentation). Suitable for skaters from about level 8 through to say competition level 3. Maybe cater for two levels of class per session.

You will need to organise 2 or 3 coaches in advance to cover the classes. Maybe volunteers could assist with the lower levels to start with - expect you have some trainee coaches at your rink who would jump at the chance!

Also, you need to prepare publicity in terms of leaflets, internet publicity and press releases to the local papers.

In the event that you already have enough beginner/intermediate teaching time, then I would run a weekly power stroking class, to music, using things like Annie's Edges as well. This would be good exercise for hockey skaters too, as you could cover fast mohawks, 3 turns, crossovers, basic stroking technique etc.

I think people would happily pay a fiver for a class like this, and also travel for miles to do it. I think you would need two coaches, to run it as a dual-level class, but using the whole rink.