View Full Version : What's the longest you've been OFF ice?

melanieuk
08-13-2003, 07:20 AM
I've not skated since April (can't remember exactly when).
I miss it a bit, I miss the people.
I'm going today with my children.

What's the longest anybody's been off ice, and how did you feel when you first went back on?
Did you feel confident or not?
Happy or not?
Did the buzz of skating come back to you?
Did you try moves, spins or jumps (or anything) that you could do before?
Did you return to skating as frequently or did you stop going, or what?

Mel

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2003, 07:26 AM
I think the longest break I've had since we started skating was all of a fortnight, so I can't be much use! But everybody had a fortnight's break over Christmas one year, I forget why exactly, and when we came back we were all, even the National-level dancers, like "Help, do you think I can remember how?".... we could, of course, but a little extra warm-up time didn't go amiss.

melanieuk
08-13-2003, 07:34 AM
Hi Annabel, How are you?
I've been keeping an eye out for your progress every so often.
What comps do you have plannned this year?
Any tests?

Mel x

JDC1
08-13-2003, 07:51 AM
I haven't taken more than a week break however because of knee, hip and back problems I often only skate 2 times a week and I used to skate 4 times a week. Am having an MRI done soon so hopefully we'll know if there's anything more than muscle damage and some scar tissue from a car accident causing the pain and discomfort. I miss it when I don't skate and can't wait to get back on the ice!!

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Hi, Melanie. I'm glad you're coming back - I've missed you!

As for competitions, our next Open is the British Adult Championships at the end of September, then Oxford Seniors, then the Dune of Flanders Cup in Dunkerque (your rink-mate Maureen may be coming to that, I hope). Plus a couple of RIDL matches, which I don't count. Then a long gap until the cycle starts again next April/May. No tests on the horizon, thankfully.

Magz
08-13-2003, 09:01 AM
well right now is my longest...its 3 months :(
haven't gotten back on yet but i've never had problems before and i've been rollerblading and stuff so i don't think (hope) that confidence will be a problem.

TashaKat
08-13-2003, 09:36 AM
It's a year TODAY that I broke my wrist (http://chorus.rad.mcw.edu/doc/00913.html) doing a poxy back 3!

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/images/cons1_121_150.jpg

I've been on a few times but haven't really skated regularly since then. NOT because of the fracture but because when I did get back my coach dumped me .... I got disillusioned, try to get myself back into it but nothing has worked so far .... and STILL no coach :cry:

x

Black Sheep
08-13-2003, 09:36 AM
From February 1987 to November 1993--from my sophomore year of high school 'til after I'd graduated from college. I was anorexic and too weak to skate (I wasn't, however, too weak to do aerobics and spend countless hours at the gym). :roll:

icedancer2
08-13-2003, 10:18 AM
21 years.

Quit when I was 14,came back at about 35. During that time I would go to a rink about 2-3 times a year and just bang around. I never lost the "feel" of being on the ice, but without any consistent skating (or coaching) my technique went south fast.

Been skating pretty consistently for 14 years now and still loving it and learning lots. I find that when I do take a break due to illness, injury or financial difficulties, coming back is not a problem. Usually takes a few times to "get my legs back" but otherwise no big deal.

Alexa
08-13-2003, 11:24 AM
I am not sure my response really counts since I have not continually taken lessons in the past. But I had not skated since April because my ankle had gotten swollen the last lesson I took, and went back one time last week. Usually when I take a long time off, it takes a while to get that feeling of comfort back, but this last time it went well. However, I did not try anything too difficult for myself, as I had decided after my last group of lessons to just skate recreationally from now on and not do lessons anymore.

I think because I bought skates I felt the pressure to take lessons or go to the rink somewhat frequently, and just simply found out that I just am happy with what I know how to do and do not want further lessons. I reminded myself I am still very happy to have my own skates when I go because they do not hurt nearly as bad as those horrible rentals! Now, at this pace it will probably take me a very long time to break in my skates, but they are somewhat comfortable for short skating sessions.

Vicki
08-13-2003, 03:33 PM
A couple years ago, I was forced to take some time off and ended up not going back for a year. I really started to miss it after awhile, so that's when I went back. It was the weirdest feeling for the first few weeks -- my brain remembered that I could do all these jumps and spins, but it didn't translate to my feet! My coach took things real slow for awhile until things felt familiar again. You know what's really weird? Some problems that I'd always with skating went away. I can do a few things now I could never do before.

Sk8Bunny
08-13-2003, 04:57 PM
I was 'forced',lol, off the ice for a month when I tore legaments in my ankle back in the spring of 2002. That was very hard. My mom would take me my physical therapy sessions after school, and then I would beg her to take me to the rink and then just sit and watch for like 20 minutes, socializing w/ people, and all. I really missed skating, it was hard to be off the ice that long.
The second longest time ive been off the ice is 5 days. I wasnt really forced off the ice, but my mom and me took a vacation to see my grandparents, and they live like, in the middle of no-where in Iowa, lol. The closest rink is 2 hours away. Everyone, except me, thought it would be a good idea if i didnt skate at all and actually just took a 'real vacation'. I hated that i didnt skate, and i was always worrying that i wouldnt be able to do anything once i got back, but besides that, the vacation was nice. it made me just relax and get away from the rink for a few days. tho i dont think i will be able to ever do that again.... lol.

dbny
08-13-2003, 08:20 PM
I was out for 3 months when I broke my wrist the same as that horrible pic that TashaKat posted. I was terrified when I came back, but my coach coaxed me into my lesson and even into doing the move I broke my wrist on.

TreSk8sAZ
08-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Add another to the broken wrist crowd. I was out for three weeks, and have been back for two (cast still on until Tuesday). I was TERRIFIED but made myself get back on. Once on, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I just took the first day very slowly, just stroking and such, and haven't had too much trouble doing basic skills. No jumping, and the cast throws some of my moves off. The fear thing is still there... took my first lesson since I did it today and my coach was quite good about it. It really just takes making myself do whatever I'm scared of, slowly at first until I get more confidence. I'm SO GLAD to be back on ice though! I keep telling my coach all I want to do is jump. I'm skating one day a week less than I was before, simply because of the drive down to the rink.

melanieuk
08-14-2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I went skating with my children yesterday but didnt attempt anything, nothing at all.
I didn't feel like I had much confidence to try, even though it was too busy (public session) and I had to hold on to little child most of the time.

I had a big skating break between the ages of 12 and 32!

AnnM
08-14-2003, 04:11 PM
I didn't skate at all from October 2002 until maybe one session back in June 2003. Prior to this I had been skating 3-4x a week. But I moved and started a new job simultaneously, which meant finding a new rink, coach, practical session times, etc. I miss it a lot and hope to start up again next week.

I know I have a long road ahead of me though to get back to where I was. That one session in June was horrific to me: even basic crossovers and three turns were a mess. And there was no way I was going to try a jump! I never want to be off the ice for this long ever again.

garyc254
08-14-2003, 04:18 PM
I was off the ice for 47 years, then I discovered skating. :lol:

Since then, my longest iceless streak has been about 6 weeks when I had rotator cuff surgery. After 3 weeks off I was begging the doctor to let me skate.

Alexeiskate
08-15-2003, 10:03 AM
I only skated sporadically for the past 2 years and then the last 4 months I haven't been on the ice at all. I'll admit that I miss it sometimes but the urgent urge to skate is no longer there. I can now spend $$$ on vacations and taking classes to learn new things/find new career ... without worrying too much if I'm overspending.

jazzpants
08-15-2003, 01:19 PM
17 years! Skated from age 11-14 socially, then the wrath of high school and the big concern about my going to a University (vs. a 2-year JC.) hit me and I had to buckle down to make it to a 4 year University. Came back about age 31. I did do the sproadic skating date/trip, but never really coming back 'til now. And it's GOOD to be back! :D :D :D

montanarose
08-15-2003, 11:49 PM
Hey Mel --

Like you, I was off the ice for about 20 years. Unfortunately, my 20 years spanned from about 32 to 52, vs. your span of 12 to 32! I learned to skate when I was a graduate student, in my mid-twenties, and kept it up --at least sporadically -- until my early thirties. By then I was so involved with my career, which involved lots of traveling, that I pretty much abandoned skating altogether (in retrospect, a really stupid choice). When I retired a few years ago, at age 52, I decided to take it up again. Oh, to have those lost twenty years back again ;-)

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2003, 08:05 AM
It occurs to me that I know someone who was off the ice between the ages of about 18 and his early 50s - he's now far and away the best of the adult male dancers on the current UK "scene", but always has to be coached in Drawn Partner competitions as he never knwows the dances, which didn't exist in his day!

jazzpants
08-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Mel, how was it to be back on the ice again? It will take some time to get back into the game, but after a while, you'll be as good as before. :)

AnnM!!!! Haven't heard from you...OR your former coach. She disappeared or something soon after you had left the area. Hurry up and get back on the ice! My backspins are catching up to yours now! :P :lol:

Azlynn
08-16-2003, 10:41 PM
5+ years. In a period of about 10 years, I skated maybe 1-2 times.

At the moment, it's been several months. I think it was May or June when I was last on the ice. Bumped into a skating parent the other day, registration is coming up in a few weeks thankfully, then another week and back on the ice.

dooobedooo
08-16-2003, 11:53 PM
About 2 or 3 weeks, since I started a few years ago as an adult.

Every so often I try to kick the skating habit, but find that after a couple of weeks I really miss the skating and I miss the ice too (that cold crispy slidy stuff). I also get really tetchy and less efficient, when I don't skate.

Sometimes after coming back from a break, parts of my skating can actually improve, but it usually takes about 1 hour per missed week of skating to get the legs back working again.

tidesong
08-17-2003, 07:11 AM
I was off the ice for two months because of my ankle injury and it took me another two months of light skating once a week before it totally healed.
The first time i stepped back on ice i couldn't do anything because of the pain so basically could only stroke in one direction... anything on the right edge hurt.
So getting back was pretty gradual. The jumps came back almost all at once i could land them... up to the axel... just that they were tiny and they hurt.
I think its been about another month just getting back to where i was... axel is back to 60-70% the axel combinations don't hurt anymore and i am starting to land double sals sporadically. (Just before my ankle was hurt i was starting to land double sals)

melanieuk
08-18-2003, 05:20 AM
Well, I was looking for inspiration and half-expected the ice to jump out at me and plead with me to skate again, lol ;) but it didn't. Nothing happened.
I had a small urge to try a backspin which would've probably been a bit foolish since 3 turns are not for the under-confidenced!
I did nothing and tried nothing - the ice was too busy really, and I had small daughter to hold on to.
Nice to get my skates on. I still love the old place, but not sure if I want to return. :roll:
mel x

Mrs Redboots
08-18-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by melanieuk
Nice to get my skates on. I still love the old place, but not sure if I want to return. :roll:
mel x Then don't. If you've got to the stage where you can walk away quite happily, it's probably time to do so. I couldn't, not yet, but I dare say that day will come - hopefully not for another 30 years!

Mind you, I know one skating mother who skates a little herself; she isn't very confident, although she could be quite good if she were, and she keeps saying she's going to stop skating, she really means it this time. And for about two weeks she sits off the ice with a book while her elder and younger daughter (the middle one does skate, but she is not addicted as her sisters are) prepare their programmes and have their lessons and generally have fun. And the next thing you know, Mum is back on the ice again, too. "I thought you were going to give up," said I, cheerfully, to which she said, "Oh well....."

jazzpants
08-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Mel,

I'm saying this as someone w/a bad case of AOSS...

If you feel you could happily not skate for a while, then it's probably time to hang up the skates. No sense in going back to the rink and spending more money on ice time if you're NOT gonna enjoy it. No sense pushing it for now.

Don't sell the skates though. If you feel the inspiration to come back on the ice, you'll at least HAVE those skates with you. ;) And you're always welcome here to visit! :)

dooobedooo
08-18-2003, 10:26 PM
How's your foot injury, Melanie? Has it recovered fully, yet?

I think if you aren't skating, you do need to do something else for fitness; otherwise you may sink into flabdom very quickly! (voice of experience, here)

TashaKat
08-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Too late here for flabdom ... skate or no skate :roll: LOL

Melanie .... foot injury? Missed that one, sorry, hope you're ok 8O

Just a thought here ..... when I broke my wrist a lot of people thought I was a wuss for not carrying on skating (it was the thought of falling and doing more damage which would equal no work which meant no money which was the driving factor to stay away!) BUT I've just managed to crack my ribs in a show jumping lesson (I went to jump, horse stopped, horse then decided to go and 'stag' jumped which catapulted (?sp ... it looks wrong) me over her head and onto the ground ... quite dramatic apparently :twisted: ). I dosed up on painkillers and went to the stables last night to ride BUT I wasn't allowed to ride, even at my own risk, because of Health and Safety Directives. Apparently if I rode and fell off again and, say, punctured a lung the stables would be liable because they knew of my injury!! I wonder how this applies to ice rinks? How many of us have skated with injuries, I know that I have!

x

skateflo
08-22-2003, 04:26 AM
I think the 'why' you stopped skating is important as to when and why you start skating again. Injuries are at one end of the spectrum.

I stopped for 9 months as I found I was skating for the wrong reasons. It took 7 months before I even felt like going into a rink.

As some have noted, some previous problem skating moves suddenly were easier and that was a high. I started back slowly (twice a week) and with coach we reviewed basics only briefly then went onto new untried things for motivation and to avoid boredom. It took about 3 weeks to feel like my skating legs were back with me and I actually felt like I was skating better than ever.

I didn't think I would ever return and then one day I just 'felt' like going to the rink by myself and just cruise around. The first time I was really shaky and it took the whole session to begin to feel more relaxed. But when I left that session, I felt good about the experience and glad I went. It was a month before I went again but the next time the shakiness lasted only 20 minutes.

Within a month of starting to skate regularly, my thunder thighs widdled back down again and physically I felt better for the exercise. My change in attitude (and new requirements of my coach) made the biggest difference.

I think some of us just get too hard on ourselves mentally and lose some of the joy of skating over the years. We get frustrated as the skills become harder and harder to master. A break can be a very good thing. Adults face many outside obligations that can hinder our mental and physical progress - worries about family, job, etc. Think of going to the rink as an appointment with yourself to pamper your mind and body - make no 'I must' statements.

Messalina
08-22-2003, 12:45 PM
I haven't been on the ice since a year ago last May and I miss it like crazy. Sometimes I've thought about it for days on end.

First I was travelling, then I moved across the country - to a small town outside a bigger town without a rink. The closest is 1 hour away.

Then I got pregnant. My baby is now 4 weeks old and I am already wondering when/how I can get back to a rink.

I was only barely Beta when I stopped and chomping at the bit to improve. I was skating 4-5 times a week and loving it.

I can't wait to lace up my skates again. I think I will have forgotten everything.

melanieuk
08-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Tasha re the foot
The foot injury was just a skating hazard. I had an inflammed bone, felt like it was growing, where my toe joins my foot underneath, just from landing on it. I had to wear bunga pad every time I skated. It was a long term thing, but a pain in the neck!
It's still there but much less irritable and I dont need to wear the bunga in my shoes anymore so it's greatly improved.

Re skating:
I'm not ready to go back. I might have the odd notion to get that backspin, but it'll just be curiosity. I cant ever see myself taking it so seriously as I did before.
I had a life changing event which caused my priorities to change and suddenly skating wasn't that important anymore. I would never have believed I could just quit going. The longer I didnt go, the easier it felt to stay away.
I do miss the people and watching them, so I'm going in next week - without skates - to watch and catch up.

Mel x

Mrs Redboots
08-25-2003, 11:22 AM

I do miss the people and watching them, so I'm going in next week - without skates - to watch and catch up. Do give my love to my various friends there.....

TashaKat
08-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Tasha re the foot
The foot injury was just a skating hazard. I had an inflammed bone, felt like it was growing, where my toe joins my foot underneath, just from landing on it. I had to wear bunga pad every time I skated. It was a long term thing, but a pain in the neck!
It's still there but much less irritable and I dont need to wear the bunga in my shoes anymore so it's greatly improved.

I had a life changing event which caused my priorities to change and suddenly skating wasn't that important anymore. I would never have believed I could just quit going. The longer I didnt go, the easier it felt to stay away.
I do miss the people and watching them, so I'm going in next week - without skates - to watch and catch up.

Mel x

Mel, I thought that had cleared up! Sorry to hear that it's still bothering you :( I know what you mean about the 'life changing event' ..... as you know I had one too so maybe THAT'S the problem .....

Hope you're ok

Hugs

x

NickiT
08-28-2003, 02:42 PM
The longest for me was about six months twice - each time I became pregnant. At that time though I was pretty much a beginner and so I didn't have too many difficult things to get back into. However when I broke my ankle I had 3 months off, though it was supposed to be six (I couldn't keep away) and that was probably the hardest to get back into to. Not only did I have to get used to skating with screws in my ankle but I was obviously afraid of damaging it again. I didn't jump for the first two to three months but after that I was well and truly back into it.

Nicki

melanieuk
08-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Annabel, I saw Irene yesterday. She told me she's doing the Adult British, and Maureen would be there too (I'm not so familiar with Maureen - I rarely see her but I do know who she is), also Lorna, the coach.
She is so brave.
Good luck to you all. Let me know a full report, PLEASE, as I might not see Irene again for a while!
Mel x

Mrs Redboots
08-29-2003, 09:09 AM
Oh good; I'm looking forward to seeing them both (and Lorelle, too); Of course I'm going to post a long report about the British - I'm not posting almost daily reports about our trials and tribulations with our Tango... at least we are still in the intermediate age group so won't have to compete against Jack and Irene if they are doing dance!