View Full Version : What events should be added??

Sho
08-12-2003, 04:20 PM
What events do you think should be added to Nationals?
I personally think that there should be interpretive events (artistic).

singerskates
08-12-2003, 05:24 PM
I agree about the interpretive. Senior skaters should not be doing two freeskates and a short. They should do a freeskate in the qualifying round, a short program and then an interpretive to win. Now that would be fun for the skaters and the audience.

I wonder if Skate Canada would ever go for it?

I'd love to see this at the World level and the Olympics too.

Elsy2
08-12-2003, 05:48 PM
I guess I tend to always be thinking about the cost of competitive skating, and it's expensive enough to pay for the costuming, music, choreography, coaching, etc. of two competitive programs a season. I sure don't want to be paying for a third.

I do enjoy the Interpretive events at Adult Nationals, however, which give many skaters a great opportunity to compete at a National level without worrying about the jump content of their programs. At the same time, sometimes I wonder what the judges are thinking when it comes to Interpretive programs....I've seen some programs do very well with very little skating going on 8O

Sho
08-12-2003, 07:06 PM
I think Interpretive should be a seperate event. Singles and Couples.

CanadianSkater
08-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Well it may sound like a good idea to add interpretive events to nationals, but they definitely should not be combined with the short and long in senior events.

The one thing I worry about is that I cannot begin to imagine how they could possibly judge this event fairly. Sounds like a great opportunity for unfair judging and unhappy people.

skaternum
08-12-2003, 08:05 PM
I don't think anything should be added to Nationals. It's already long enough and expensive enough as it is!

Sho
08-12-2003, 08:11 PM
It would be very fun to watch.

CanAmSk8ter
08-12-2003, 08:25 PM
I think they should add solo dance, even if they had to hold it separately from regular nationals, and even if they could only do Junior and Senior. There are so many talented girls (a few boys too, but mostly girls) out there who work as hard as everybody else but will never get to do a qualifying competition because there just aren't enough boys out there for every girl who deserves one. Now that it's become more acceptable for the boys to ask for financial help from the girl's family, there are girls out there who have actually found good matches only to be rejected in favor of a girl whose family can afford to pay for some/all of the boys' expenses. It might also help keep girls in the sport through puberty, both feeskaters and dancers- freeskaters because they might be more willing to switch to dance, rather than quitting, if they knew making it to nationals didn't depend on beating the incredbly bad odds of finding a partner, and dancers because at puberty many teams have to split as the girl outgrows her partner.

jp1andOnly
08-12-2003, 10:02 PM
ummm..they used to have interpretive events at Skate Canada I believe in the 80's when artistic was very popular. I don't think they should be at a competitive national event, but perhaps at the STARskate nationals

roogu
08-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Well the interpretive is already part of the triathlon, so yeah, it's already going on.

TreSk8sAZ
08-13-2003, 12:20 AM
I second the solo dance! Even solo free dance or original dance. You'd be surprised at how many great solo OD and FD routines there are out there. This would include so many more people who thought that they did not have a chance to advance, and give many the encouragment they needed to continue and work hard.

Stormy
08-13-2003, 06:29 AM
I third the Solo Dance. I don't dance (yet), but there's no reason it can't be added.

Also, two words- YOUNG ADULT. There's enough that there would be an interest for AN, but not enough to make it an overwhelming addition. I would have looooooved the chance to go to AN the past few years.

rinsk
08-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Another vote for solo dance and young adult. Probably hard to fit in due to potentially large numbers but I'm sure that there could be a way.

dorvalskater1
08-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by rinsk
Another vote for solo dance and young adult. Probably hard to fit in due to potentially large numbers but I'm sure that there could be a way.

I vote for that too! (even though I am an adult!) Young adult would be nice for my friend Rinsk! Solo dance would do me fine! LOL

jazzpants
08-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Sho
What events do you think should be added to Nationals?
I personally think that there should be interpretive events (artistic).

I would like to see pre-Bronze. Then again, AN is long enough as is with the Bronze ladies!!! :P (Which I hope to be someday...*sigh*) :)