View Full Version : I need opinions ASAP!!! Help!!

mandy_j07
08-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi.. I'm 14 and going to be working on triples this year. I have just ordered Risport RF3's.. but I'm not sure what blade to buy. It's Between the John Wilson Pattern 99's (which happen to be $400!) or the MK Proffesional K-Pick. My question: Is buying the 99's going to help me land triples better than the MK's? I don't know what to do... if I knew for sure the better blade was going to help me.. I'd buy them, but I don't want to waste my money.

Pattern 99 vs. MK Pro... Will Better blades actually help you spin & jump better?

sk8ergirl
08-10-2003, 03:08 PM
I just upgraded to patern 99's myself. Best blade on the market, at least you know, if you can't get your triples it won't be because of the blade.
By the way, I even paid more for mine, where are you from, I am in Ontario, Canada.

CanadianSkater
08-10-2003, 03:29 PM
I had Pattern 99s, but I switched to Ultima Freestyles and liked them better, so that's what I would reccommend. As far as the MK Professional K-Pick, I am not sure, I have never known or seen anyone with those k-pick thingies on their blades. I was wondering, if anyone actually had them, if they could tell us about them, and if they work well.

jp1andOnly
08-10-2003, 03:42 PM
my brother used to bend pattern 99's doing triples. We both used ultima and with the solid steel plate they last far longer. Right now I have graf blades and I like them as well

dbny
08-10-2003, 04:09 PM
If you want the Pattern 99's, get them from Mike at the Cantiague Rink Pro Shop for a lot less than $400. Call him at 516-933-7379 and leave a message if you get a machine. He only charges actual cost for shipping UPS and is very reliable. I've bought Gold Seals and Coronation Aces from him and both were at the absolutely best price ever. Don't know if he carries Ultimas, but you could ask.

Stormy
08-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Several people I know, myself included, swear by Gold Seals. Mine don't have the K-Pick, but those that do like them. I'm not a Pattern 99 fan myself, and Professionals.....I thought they were for singles and doubles, but I could be wrong. I'd go with Gold Seals.

mandy_j07
08-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks... this is all really helpful, but what I really want to know is if the 99's are going to make me better... I mean, would I be able to triples with them, and not another, cheaper blade? Thanks

BittyBug
08-10-2003, 06:25 PM
You don't mention what kind of blade you currently have, so it's hard to comment on whether a new blade might help your skating. I personally would not recommend the MK Professional for someone of your level - I used to use them when I first started skating, but have been in a Phantom for eons. IMO, the Phantom is much more comparable to the Pattern 99.

I definitely noticed a difference moving up to the Phantom, on both jumps and spins. So yes, a better blade can improve your skating. Better blades also hold their sharpening longer, so even though your new blades may cost you more, the maintenance will be cheaper (at least that's been my experience).

Finally, I don't know anything about the K-pick. I'm a little skeptical, because although it seems like it might be helpful, I think it could compensate for good technique, and the latter will take you much farther than any piece of equipment. If you can't find anyone that you know who is using the K-pick and finding it useful, I'd skip it and save the extra $$$$ that it costs.

CanAmSk8ter
08-10-2003, 06:28 PM
There's no such thing as a magic blade. If you're a good enough skater to be trying triples with good technique, the blade isn't going to make a huge difference, any more than your boot would. As long as it's a blade designed for that type of skating, and they both are, they aren't going to keep you from landing them. I'm pretty sure I know skaters doing triples in both of those blades.

As for the K-Pick, the only skater I know who has them is a student of mine in Freestyle 1. I'm not kidding. Her mom got a pair of (very) used Risport Super Diamantes with the K-Pick blades for like $50. They're both in lousy shape- whoever had those skates before was hard on them- but for a kid just starting single jumps they're fine. She's only eight, so she'll outgrow them in no time anyway.

melanieuk
08-11-2003, 05:33 AM
I'd definitely go for the Pattern 99s..

vesperholly
08-11-2003, 09:00 AM
The K-Pick is not a replacement for good technique. None of the skaters at my rink who are landing double axels/triples have K-Picks.

I would say go with the Pattern 99s. They're a solid upper-level freestyle blade. They won't make you *better* per se but blades do make a difference. What does your coach/local skate shop pro think?

Jocelyn

mikawendy
08-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by dbny
If you want the Pattern 99's, get them from Mike at the Cantiague Rink Pro Shop for a lot less than $400. Call him at 516-933-7379 and leave a message if you get a machine. He only charges actual cost for shipping UPS and is very reliable. I've bought Gold Seals and Coronation Aces from him and both were at the absolutely best price ever. Don't know if he carries Ultimas, but you could ask.

Be aware that some pro shops charge a fee for mounting blades that were not bought at their store. (I recently saw one that charges 25% of the blade's MSRP, IN ADDITION TO the usual mounting fee, to mount blades purchased elsewhere.) If you know which pro shop will be mounting your blades you might want to check this first (to know whether you'll truly be saving money or not).

mandy_j07
08-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Well I did it... I bought the 99's!!! They came in the UPS the other day.. and they're so PRETTY!!:D I found them on sale for $$295 on the internet, so that was good. Does anyone have any tips for blade care?? (other than the wipe them off and store in soakers, don't leave guards on etc. etc.) Like is there any special oil you can put on them to stop nicking and dulling? Cuz these blades have to last me for quite a while...

My boots were supposed to come in yesterday, but they didn't. I don't skate till October, but they still want to get them and make sure everything is right, and start walking around in them. Any ideas for breaking in skates faster?

mandy_j07
08-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by sk8ergirl
I just upgraded to patern 99's myself. Best blade on the market, at least you know, if you can't get your triples it won't be because of the blade.
By the way, I even paid more for mine, where are you from, I am in Ontario, Canada.

I'm in Minnesota... so when I said $400 I meant in American... I live by the border, so I should have known to say that was in American, sorry!