View Full Version : Tulips from Amsterdam

Mrs Redboots
08-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Does anybody know this waltz, which is beginning to be danced in this country, having been invented by Peter Moorman in Amsterdam? I have a minor query about it, and as it may apply to other dances, I'll ask here. One of the step sequences is apparently, going forwards, LFO swing, RFO, LFI chasse, RFI(?), LFI slide chasse. That's straightforward enough, although Robert finds it difficult, for some reason, but he tells me the lady does the same or similar going backwards. Again, not tricky, but I am not sure how one does a slide chasse when going backwards - I gather the free foot slides up behind, but I am not sure how.... anybody know?

Aussie Willy
08-11-2003, 04:47 AM
Annabel - I have practised this dance just from the pattern I got off the internet (did it with my coach). From what I figured out the lady puts the foot behind so that both skaters have legs in line with each other. If you put the foot forward you would trip up the man (yep it would be fun but best not to injure your dance partner).

I would suggest email Peter (the inventor). I had a question about the dance and he was most helpful. However I just checked the link for the dance through the SkateWeb and unfortunately cannot find the page it was on. However I did a google search and found what could be the possible closest way to find out what you need to know. It is from a recreational ice dance competition but there is a link to an email address which might be able to answer your question. Hope this helps.

http://ijsdansen.dse.nl/amsterdameng.html

Mrs Redboots
08-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks. It does seem to be rather like you describe it, from all I gather. Just not a step I've come across before..... We're going to a seminar on it at the weekend, and I hope to be able to learn it then.

rinsk
08-13-2003, 02:15 PM
In the Silver Samba, back slide chasses are as you say with the foot coming behind (now I have this huge urge to walk through the silver samba to figure out how the free leg gets behind - but I'm sitting in the medical library trying to look serious: argh...). It extends behind without pushing just like a forwards slide-chasse.