View Full Version : Good , new, skaters

jamie_rae352
08-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Does anyone else have this problem??? I'm 12 and this is only my 4th yr skating, and I'm currently working on my double Axel and A-frame spin. I'm starting a bad reputation at my club, is anyone in this postion??

FSWer
08-06-2003, 10:05 PM
I don't really understand Lisa. I have an idea. But could you please define a little bit? Thanks.

CanAmSk8ter
08-06-2003, 10:38 PM
No, but I've seen it happen many times. Without knowing more about what you mean by a "bad reputation", I can only give you some general advice.

1. Follow ice etiquette as best you can. I know it's hard when there's a lot of kids on the ice, but expecting people to yield to you when you don't have right-of-way will drive them nuts after awhile. I assume your rink has similar rules to most rinks- skaters having lessons or on music have right of way, and skaters not on lesson or on music should move for them.

2. Don't get into the gossiping that goes on. You never know who might overhear you, or who might repeat something you wouldn't want repeated. As a general rule, be very careful about what you say about other people at the rink- even if you don't mean something nasty, someone could misinterpret it and pass it on in a different context.

3. Go out of your way to be nice to people, including those you don't actually like. Even people who don't like you can't accuse you being a snob or having a attitude if you go out of your way not to show one! Or rather, they can but it won't go as far and they'll end up looking bad. If this is part of the problem, taking a minute occasionally to help a fellow skater with something they're struggling with will make you look very good. Just pick a skater who will be receptive to it and not one who will take your help as being patronizing.

4. You've made a lot of pretty quick progress, especially since you said you're not at a big training center. Some of the kids at your club probably are jealous. Make sure you don't let the progress go to your head. I always tell my young students that they need to be able to be friends with skaters who are both higher and lower levels than they are.

jamie_rae352
08-07-2003, 09:41 AM
OK,I'll remember that, Thanks!!

Magz
08-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Just a non-related question...you said in the thread about you looking for a partner that you were Jr.Bronze Free...but isn't a duoble axel on the Jr.Silver or higher test? Or have you just not tested for awhile? Don't mean to be nosy...just curious

jamie_rae352
08-07-2003, 06:02 PM
I never said I could land a Double Axel, I'm just working on it...

LilSk8er24
08-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Magz
Just a non-related question...you said in the thread about you looking for a partner that you were Jr.Bronze Free...but isn't a duoble axel on the Jr.Silver or higher test? Or have you just not tested for awhile? Don't mean to be nosy...just curious

This is none-related too. A skater could be working on something from a higher level test. I know someone whose only test passed so far is the Preliminary freeskate, but she's working on the sit-change-sit spin and that's on the Junior Silver test. The double axel is on the Gold freeskate test. Anyways, back to the original question, I think the skaters at your rink might be a tiny bit jealous of you. I haven't been in your situation, but I guess my only advice is to just be friendly to everyone even if you don't like that person.

jamie_rae352
08-07-2003, 06:35 PM
OK! Yeah,I have this slight obsession with trying stuff I see on TV (often) and it has helped me a tonne with skating, such as my sit-change-sit...

Sho
08-07-2003, 06:55 PM
I don't get why you would have a bad reputation but if people talk about you (not in a nice way) who cares?? Youre just trying your best and working hard so who cares what others think? And 4 years isn't such a short period of time.