View Full Version : Spirals and other moves into jumps? Is it wierd or what?

singerskates
08-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Is it wierd to do spirals into jumps instead of the usual? Do you get extra credit in tests and competitions for doing this?

One time during Tuesday's public session, I did a LFO spiral and then a RFI op mo to do a LBI spiral into a salchow. Pretty neat feeling. Going to use this in my program this year for sure.

Have you done something like that? What was it?

Brigitte

CanAmSk8ter
08-06-2003, 05:45 PM
I've seen this done, but never very well. I would guess that if it's done in good control but with good speed, it would maybe help with the presentation mark. At least in the US, I don't think the added difficulty would up your technical mark at all on a test, especially not on the low levels. They're really just looking to see a) that you complete all the required elements, and b) that they're done fully and correctly.

jamie_rae352
08-06-2003, 06:16 PM
My coach is going to put an Ina Bauer Double Sow-Double Loop into my program for next year... I've seen a ton of field moves into jumps and spins at my club, but the jumps are always stinky...

dbny
08-06-2003, 06:34 PM
One move that works very well into a jump is an outside spread eagle into an axel. I've seen it in test programs and also from elite skaters doing double axels. The axel can also be landed right into an outside spread eagle, which makes the whole thing even better.

Sk8Bunny
08-06-2003, 06:50 PM
I do an ina bauer into an axel. it doesnt add too much difficulity, but judges do seem to be impressed with it and give a skater a bit more credit if they add creative and difficult things into their programs, such as a move before a jump. Also, footwork, or a bauer or spiral, etc, into a jump is so much more interesting to watch than just a straight, long line that is held for, like, ever, into a jump.

TashaKat
08-07-2003, 02:25 AM
A judge once said to me that she was pleased to see people do different moves into jumps BUT ONLY if the jump was good ..... it's pointless doing footwork into a Lutz if you end up taking off on the wrong edge! From what she said, done well it will add to the presentation marks but wouldn't impact on the technical ..... and, of course the reverse is also true except that you'd also impact on your technical marks if you stuffed it up :(

kayskate
08-07-2003, 05:29 AM
This may not apply to standard tests but aren't there requirements for footwork into jumps for elite competition? I seem to remember that requirement for men's short programs (ladies too?). The objective would seem to be elimination of telegraphing and working the elements together seamlessly.

I cannot remember who did this, maybe Surya. But a few years ago wasnt't there an elite lady who did a back spiral into a 3sal? She did not put the free foot down, just jumped right out of the spiral. Pretty neat.

Kay

Raine
08-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Brigitte,

I like the idea of your combo move if you can get a good salchow out of it. I love to see innovation out on the ice. There isn't enough of it IMO.

I once showed an instructor my loop from an inside Ina Bauer, and she thought it was a great way to get into the proper takeoff position. After the Ina Bauer, switch the leading foot from forward to backward and voila! It can make for a smooth takeoff. Experimentation makes practice sessions fun, particularly after concentrating on nothing but MITF. :)

Happy Skating,
Raine

jamie_rae352
08-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by TashaKat
A judge once said to me that she was pleased to see people do different moves into jumps BUT ONLY if the jump was good ..... it's pointless doing footwork into a Lutz if you end up taking off on the wrong edge! From what she said, done well it will add to the presentation marks but wouldn't impact on the technical ..... and, of course the reverse is also true except that you'd also impact on your technical marks if you stuffed it up :(

My mum always says that to me... could that be who you talked to?? lol

LWalsh
08-07-2003, 11:06 AM
I currently have a forward inside spiral, step, mohawk, cross, into a lutz. I does change the whole jump timing. Currently it only works about 50% of the time so I may be forced to take it out before I compete in two weeks. :oops:

I also have a salchow out of a right back outside 3 turn, step, jump. This one is much easier for me.

sk8rbean
08-07-2003, 06:22 PM
I personally much prefer skaters to challenge their artistic limits, which includes developing moves into jumps. This makes programs seem more "seamless" and generally flow better. Of course, it hurts your mark to fall on jumps you perform steps into, but this is true whether you use connecting steps or not.

This current trend of top skaters just skating down the middle into all eight of their jumps may make it easier for them to land, but I don't think that it enhances the presentation at all. I am a skater, and I try to think of a few new moves into jumps every season, and find that they are not less consistent with good moves into them. I have done walleys, spirals, footwork, spread eagles and bauers, and even some spins into jumps and think they are fun to work on anyway!