SP Teri Pro
Riedell Gold Star
Riedell Silver Star

My access to ice is kind of limited especially in the
Summer, but still limited in winter to at best lightly
attended Public Sessions. I really don't think I need
the Gold Star ( at $430 + ) because I'm pretty much
limited to single jumps. So, I'm considering dropping
back to either the SP Teri Pro, or the Silver Star.
Are those two boots comparable? I get the impression
that I might be a little big for the Pro, but fine for
the Silver Star. My reason for wanting a Teri boot is
that the heel is lower, and I think I might spin better
in the Pro. Also, I remember that the Silver Star was
not exactly easy to break in. If anything, it is just
as tough a boot as the Gold Star. Does anyone have
experience in the Silver Star as compared to the new
Gold Stars. Also, I notice that the Pro comes in mens
sizes. Is it possible that boot might be fine for
what I'm doing?

johns

skatepixie
08-05-2003, 12:55 AM
I wouldnt recomend reidells for anyone past singles. I wouldnt recomend Sp Teri to anyone. Period. Given those four choices, however, Id go with the Gold Star.

dani
08-05-2003, 06:01 AM
I have skated in SP Teri Super Deluxes and Reidell Gold Stars. (I have actually skated in several Reidells, but don't count that because it was roller ;-)

Anyway, I really like my Teri's, but my first pair was too big and broke down way too fast. George took care of me though and I am now skating in their new KT-2 which fits and my skating is improving due to it.

I think there are several factors that you have to consider. You are doing your single jumps, but how high are you jumping and how hard are your landings? How much do you bend your knees when you skate? To me, those would be the issues that would decide how much boot you need. I think my single jumps at my weight (about the same as you - shhh! ;-) are as hard on my boots as many kid's doubles and/or triples.

Good luck!!
Hugs!
Danielle

backspin
08-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Have you been fitted for both brands? Reidells tend to fit a certain shape of foot, & the SP Teris will be cut differently. I'd start w/ that & see how they compare.

That being said, I'm not a fan of Reidell, but they seem to be working for you. Finding boots that fit and are comfortable is always a risk and can be an expensive and painful nightmare--so my advice would be, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Elsy2
08-05-2003, 01:17 PM
When I considered ProTeri 3 1/2 years ago, I felt that the boot was too soft for me and went with the stronger SuperTeri. I am 5'6" and weigh about 145, single jumps only. Day one I skated a full session and loved them, however, they were painful in the ankle area for a long time. I still wear Bunga ankle sleeves after all this time. The SuperTeri just fits my shape of foot perfectly, but my ankle bones are very prominent and sensative.

Reidell's did not fit my shape of foot at all, so I don't have much input on those. Daughter had Silver Stars 5-6 years ago when she was ten years old. Changed after a year to Super-Teri's. At that time, the Silver Star heel was lower than the Super-Teri, and she had some adjustment to make as she felt pitched forward.

So, has SP-teri changed their heel height lately?

My other thought is that I think I would think of a blade change rather than a heel height change to improve spins. Just a thought.

jamie_rae352
08-05-2003, 01:51 PM
You might not even want to go with any of those choices, try going to a skating boutique and have a professional look at your feet (make sure you wear the socks you like to skate in).

BittyBug
08-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by dani
I think there are several factors that you have to consider. You are doing your single jumps, but how high are you jumping and how hard are your landings? How much do you bend your knees when you skate? To me, those would be the issues that would decide how much boot you need. I think my single jumps at my weight (about the same as you - shhh! ;-) are as hard on my boots as many kid's doubles and/or triples.

Very valid points. I think that boot fitters often overlook the additional impact of an adult's weight - just because you're only working on singles doesn't mean that your boots aren't being stressed.

mikawendy
08-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by jamie_rae352
You might not even want to go with any of those choices, try going to a skating boutique and have a professional look at your feet (make sure you wear the socks you like to skate in).

In addition, make sure you bring your most recent pair of skates. Many good skate fitters will be able to look at the wear on your current pair of skates (including the wear on the insole) to help with your decision of brand/model and fit and whether another brand would be most appropriate.

As for Riedells vs. Sp-Teris, I think everyone you talk to will have a different opinion. I know people who like one but hate the other. I know adult ladies who have Gold Stars and have all their doubles. I don't know very many men who skate, let alone what kind of skates they prefer.

Good luck!

dbny
08-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Keep in mind that Riedell has redesigned all of their boots since you bought your last pair. My daughter used to skate in Riedells, Silver Star, Gold Star and Royals. I would say that the stiffness of the current Silver Stars is about the same as the old Gold Stars but they may even be as stiff as the old Royals, which were cement blocks. If you are going to pay upwards of $400, you should also seriously consider custom Klingbeils, which are a fixed $495 for anything you need or want in a boot. The one requirement is that you have access to a competent fitter.

flippet
08-06-2003, 01:08 PM
I've skated in Silver Stars (purchased in 99), and then switched to the Super Deluxe SPTeri (purchased in 2000, but the model was probably sitting on the shelf for 2 or three years beforehand--great sale! :D ). I tried on the ProTeri (whatever is just below the Super Deluxe), and it felt rather soft--not much stiffer new than my Silver Stars felt when broken down. My Super Deluxes are quite the little rocks, but I like them that way--I'm kind of hard on my skates.

I also skate like you do--intermittently and on empty public sessions. In a year of actually skating a bit in my Teris, they aren't even creased, and I haven't tied the top hooks yet--they're that stiff. (I was blowing out the Reidells in 6-9 months.) I had to have the ankles punched a couple of times, but they're great now, and have always (from day one) felt like a glove on my narrow little heels, whereas the Riedell heels would stretch like crazy.

As far as improving spins went, I also replaced my blade from Professionals to Visions, and the combination of the SPTeri boot and the blade made a big improvement in my spins.

So, long story short, I wouldn't recommend the Pros unless you're very easy on your skates. Silver Stars might work for you, depending on your foot shape and how soon you trash skates, but if you're really hard on skates like I am, or the SPTeri shape works better, the Super Deluxe (or Super Teri--whatever it's called--the next one up from the Pro) might be a better skate.

Good luck!

quarkiki2
08-06-2003, 01:30 PM
I skate in Riedell Gold Stars. I got them last year and have been on the ice every week since then at least once. They were my first pair of skates and due to the fact that I'm overweight and I have a loooong Achilles' tendon, I had to get a pretty stiff skate to learn crossovers.

These were last year's model, so they are pretty much the cement blocks dbny talked about -- in other words, equivalent to the Royal from a few years ago.

I have not had ANY issues with these skates -- I have a slightly wedge shaped foot (B or C width with a AA heel), but am skating in a B width skate without trouble. My heels don't go anywhere and it's not too tight over the ball of my foot.

I have not had a single blister. I do not need to wear Bunga pads. I just laced the top hook about 3 weeks ago.

Honestly, I think skates are a pretty personal thing and that you'll need to try a few pairs on before you make any decisions. When I went looking for my skates, I was going to look at a pair of 320's since I am a beginner. The skate fitter had me put on a pair of 220's initially and I bent my knees and folded the boot. Same with the 320's and the Silver Stars. I'm pretty sure that I'll need to look into a pair of customs if I ever start doing full-revolution jumps, simply because of my body and the way I use it.

See a good fitter and you'll get good results!!

johns
08-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Thanks folks. Pretty informative. Sounds like the
new Riedells have gotten even tougher probably
making the Silver Star my most likely option.
Reason ... cost. I've found the Silver Star on
the web for $285. I talked to SP Teri factory,
and several sales reps of SP Teri. In their
opinion, the Super Teri is even harder than the
Gold Star .. while the Pro Teri is just too soft
for a person my size. See you on the ice !

johns