View Full Version : stretching

kayskate
08-01-2003, 12:42 PM
I have posted some photos of my stretching positions on my web site.
The set is entitled "Stretch by the Sea" as the photos were taken on a
cruise ship.
To view them please visit:
http://www.skatejournal.com/gallery.html

Kay

skatepixie
08-01-2003, 01:33 PM
great pics Kay! I wish i were that flexable.

Mrs Redboots
08-02-2003, 05:14 AM
Aren't they lovely! And how clever you are to be able to do the splits, whether standing, or classically on the floor. Have you always been able to do them, or is this something that has come with time and effort? Some children when I was at school could do them, but I never could.

Elsy2
08-02-2003, 09:07 AM
I always enjoy seeing your updated pictures Kay. I'd love to see some of those spins in person. Cracked up over your "Kay pike"....nice position, but what would Michael W. say to using that name? ;)

As for doing the splits....I still can but only after two glasses of wine to kill the pain! 8O As a child it took several weeks of daily stretching work to attain the splits, it didn't happen easily or quickly, and after I did finally get all the way down I walked in pain for a few days......

Thanks again Kay.

kayskate
08-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Yeah, the "Kay Pike" was meant to be a little joke.

As for my stretching...
Yes, I have been stretching for years. Started as a kid in PE class. W/ some on and off, I have been stretching ever since, so what I can do is not that impressive considering how long I have been at it. I have been ice skating for 10+ yrs now and always stretched before skating and most of the time after, as well. I have been able to do full splits since childhood. My right hamstring is sore right now, so I can't stretch that leg as much. Probably from overdoing it in aerobics. I really enjoy stretching and would like to be able to do some really bizarre positions that might be seen in an acrobatics performance like put my foot behind my head or something. I admire the flexibility positions rhythmic gymnasts can get. Those would be my goal, but I am a long way off.

Kay

icenut84
08-03-2003, 05:41 AM
I've been trying to improve my flexibility too, and it's definitely improved. However, when I try forward splits (which I couldn't do as a kid, although I could do side splits easily), I can't quite get all the way down yet (although I'm closer than I was). But when I practice them, the hip of my back leg hurts a bit. Am I doing something wrong? :(

JDC1
08-03-2003, 04:34 PM
I have always been able to do the splits with my right leg leading and I can do the stretch where you pull your legs up to the side, without holding onto anything with both legs,I can even do a Y spiral. It freaks other skaters out and they all think I stretch all the time but the fact is alot of flexibility is genetic, I'm almost 40 and I'm as flexible as the 7 year olds. :-) I do stretch but not nearly enough and have noticed that most of the flexibility needed for these kinds of extensions is in your hip area. As for pain, if it hurts stop doing it or don't push it quite so hard, not everyone is meant to do the splits and I've seen very lovely spirals that make up for lack of extension with speed and edge control. I think one of the loveliest spirals is the attitude spiral but because my back is NOT flexible I can't begin to get a nice arch. :-(