View Full Version : Sweet or Sour: Lessons/Practices 28 July - 4 August 2003

96.23??
07-28-2003, 04:16 PM
A new practice thread for the week! :D sorry if Sweet and Sour has been used before I don't really remember what has been used or not!

garyc254
07-29-2003, 09:17 AM
The only Sour is that I won't be skating this week unless I can find a public session I'm not used to skating.

Didn't skate last night as I had "taxi" duty for the kids. Wednesday's skating classes are over for this session.

I did have a relaxing fishing trip last weekend and rested my back (sciatica), so I should be ready to hit the ice as soon as I can find a session.

DBNY I'm glad you had another successful, if wet, vacation.

luna_skater
07-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Sweet: Fourteenstep. Speed is good, and we got some little glitches in the placement of the pattern sorted out today. Still a bit behind on timing, but it's getting there! More improvement on three-turns in isolation. But so much to think about!! 8O My main task now is to get them down to muscle memory, so they flow with the dances.

Sour: The European. After feeling so good about it yesterday, today it could not possibly have sucked any more than it did. But I'm determined to get it right!

jenlyon60
07-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Sweet:

* I had a VERY GOOD lesson today. Coach pronounced my alternating back power crossovers (or whatever they're officially called) very strong. I almost ran into the barrier coming out of the last sequence on the first side before transitioning to the "across the rink" before the 2nd side. So I have to allow for a bit of lobe-reshaping on the last sequence to give myself space to do the transition and set-up to go across the rink cleanly.

* 5-step mohawk sequence... much improved today... knock on wood. The whole sequence felt fairly smooth even the pesky RFI-LBI mohawks that I had been over-rotating into and rushing. Still has aways to go before being testable, though.

Sour:

* The weakest item today was Tango. Mostly I am lacking control on the RFI after the LBO swing and immediately before the promenade. I find that step sequence extremely awkward with partner (coach) and by myself it's very misshapen and wide-stepped. But the hated RFI3 was mostly better.

EXTRA: Good luck to all the skaters from my rink going to the Dance competition up at Lake Placid!!! (and to all other skaters also...)

sk8er1964
07-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Sweet: My coach asked me to put more extension/power into my axel takeoff. After I got over the scariness, the jumps were quite big, and the flow out was good. Later, when he was getting the harness ready for us to work on the double toe, he told me he wanted me to go do an axel - to get my confidence up for the 2toe. This made me feel good because it shows that my axel is here to stay! First 2loop in the harness was good.

Sour: I feel like I'm on a big, very long plateau with the double toe. I've seen zero progress over the last few weeks - I know this isn't true because the takeoff is much better, but darn it! I want one fully rotated and at least landed on something other than my backside. :roll:

jazzpants
07-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Sweet: I have a new secondary coach!!! Now I have to think of an appropriate nickname for her! :P :roll: So far it's just your typical first lesson with a new coach and review...

Sour: I HATE my loop!!! I HATE my flip! And most of all, I HATE my backspin!!! They're EVIL!!! EVIL, I tell 'ya!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

skatepixie
07-30-2003, 12:47 AM
Sweet:

~I got to have group lesson with 2 extra people,both of them are friends of mine who dont take them anymore but decided to drop in just for fun. It was a blast.

~I have an old book by Meribel Vinson (mother of Laurence Owen, 1961 US Champ and Olympic silver medalist in her own right) and its mostly figures. i tried the first two (FO and FI 8s) and they were a lot of fun and super easy.

~I got my skates back!!!!!!

~I skated to the end of the session.

~I figured out a new way to lace so my skates are supportive

~I stuck to my diet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sour:

~I fell hard on my right knee again :twisted:

~My spirals were low.

Mrs Redboots
07-30-2003, 06:34 AM
Sweet: Worked on basics all morning in my lesson because my back was playing up and, anyway, I'm not working for anything special just now. Discussed what to do for next year's Creative programme, but no real ideas as yet. Mohawks Much Improved, as were back inside edges.

Was massaging and stretching my back afterwards, and something went "click", but so far I'm not sure if that's good or bad! Good, I think, but it needs to rest now.

Sour: Anti-clockwise back crossovers simply didn't work at all, and clockwise ones were awful. As were my back chasses. Deep sigh. Didn't skate much outside my lesson because of my back. Even deeper sigh.

96.23??
07-30-2003, 11:10 AM
Sweet: Test day today and I passed my Harris Tango :) So now I'm on Sr. Silver Dances :)

sk8er1964
07-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 96.23??
Sweet: Test day today and I passed my Harris Tango :) So now I'm on Sr. Silver Dances :)

Congrats!!! :D :D

garyc254
07-30-2003, 11:46 AM

WAY TO GO!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Mrs Redboots
07-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Sweet: Test day today and I passed my Harris Tango :) So now I'm on Sr. Silver Dances :) Oh, Brilliant! I can't even begin to do that Tango, and I know JenLyon struggles with it, you must be really good! Many, many congratulations. :D

96.23??
07-30-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

sk8clean
07-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Sweet: My ankle I sprained 4 months ago is almost 100% better.

Sour: The rink is closed for the summer.

96.23??
07-30-2003, 01:08 PM
I sprained my ankle earlier this year and was off for maybe two-three months and I know how much it stinks not to be on so hurray!! :D

luna_skater
07-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Sweet: Got complimented on my soft knees today. Am happy about my speed on the 14-step.

Sour: Seriously injured my toe this morning, and was worried I wouldn't be able to skate. I suffered through it, but now my toe is a variety of colours and hurts twice as bad. Not good. Three turns are good in isolation, then suck the big one when I have to time them properly for the European. The Ten-fox and I are at odds as well. The pauses in the timing are throwing me off.

Overall, just not a very good start to the day. :(

skatepixie
07-30-2003, 08:55 PM

good job

skatepixie
07-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Sweet:

~I HAVE MY WALTZ JUMP DOWN!!!!!!!!!!! My private coach ask me what i wanted to do and Im all waltz jumps. And she told me to show her one and i did and it was perfect.

~I had fun skating to music.

~I got my lunge lower.

~I found out that theres a streaching bar at our rink

~I got better arm positions on my spiral

~I got better back xovers.

jazzpants
07-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Sweet: NUTTIN'!!! :( Well I take that back... the FI3 entry to the backspin is getting a bit better now...

Sour: I got gang coached today by BOTH my primary and my new secondary coach. Both were both going back and forth mentioning what was wrong with a particular move. By the time I got done, half the Freestyle session were having a good laugh at my expense! :lol: :roll:

The secondary coach says that she's gonna let me get away with stuff like that. And my primary coach then says "Yeah! I think I'm gonna be tough on you like <secondary coach's name> there!" :lol:

Did I mentioned that this is my very FIRST Freestyle morning session in about 6-7 months!?!?! (And I'm definitely a night owl!!!) 8O

mikawendy
07-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Had a group lesson yesterday--

Sweet--
Got blades resharpened

Learned the 1/2 flip--now all I have to do is increase the height so it's not a fliphop...

Worked on stroking and I had more speed and power than I recall having. I think it's all the show practice, edge classes, and the nice sharp blades.

Did an RF spiral at the end of practice and got screams (the good kind :D ) from my instructor and another. The zam was coming out or I'd have gone around to do another one--I almost felt like I could have gotten my leg higher than it was... I also worked on my BAAAD side (and I mean BAAD...) earlier in practice and my LF spiral on a flat was the best I've ever done it, with the free leg turned out behind me over the tracing instead of out in doggie/fire hydrant land.

Sour--
Dratted choctaw into forward spin is getting the best of me. I can't seem to get the deep RFO edge that I need to turn the 3 and spin. My instructor also thinks it's time for new boots (and this was the first time on the ice that I noticed they're not supporting me well, especially landing from jumps...so yay, NEW BOOTS, here I come...)

Worked on waltz jumps, which were fine, but I can't get the timing of the LBO-RFO mohawk right. I keep rushing it and not moving my arms correctly so that I can use them during the jump. The same RFO edge that I need for spins feels scary when I go to take off for the waltz jump.

luna_skater
07-31-2003, 04:32 PM
All Sour. My toe has gotten worse and worse; the whole thing is purple now, so I couldn't skate this morning. Now I can't skate until Tuesday, so I only have three lessons left before test day. :??

96.23??
07-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by luna_skater
All Sour. My toe has gotten worse and worse; the whole thing is purple now, so I couldn't skate this morning. Now I can't skate until Tuesday, so I only have three lessons left before test day. :??

Oh dearie :( I hope your toe gets MUCH MUCH better before test day!

blurrysarah
08-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Sweet:
My synchro team actually has our new long program done all the way through, there's a few rough spots but it's coming along nicely. I also managed to add a little more speed and height to my salchow, and i'm about 1/4 of a rev away from a loop
:lol:

Sour:
My spins - the most frustrating, inconsistent move I have. One week they'll be fast and centered and I'll actually FEEL that blade sweet spot. Next week they are back on the toepicks, travelling big inside edge loops and I'll be wobbling around like an awkward spinning top.

Mrs Redboots
08-01-2003, 07:12 AM
Sweet: Robert and I had such fun this morning; we're planning to enter the British Adult Championship (our Adult Nationals), and one of the requirements this year for Elementary Dance Couples is a Tango OD. We haven't got music yet - our coaches are looking some out for us - but we decided that time is pressing, so we would start working on things we can do, that can be put into the music. And find out what we can't do, too! We have a lovely end pattern now! But we need to find some "Highlights" - one friend suggested side-by-side drags, but I can't do a drag, alas.....

Sour: My back is still painful..... it was fine yesterday, too! Rats. :evil:

DancinDiva
08-01-2003, 12:11 PM
SWEET: Worked a lot on foward outside edges, and coach was VERY impressed. This was just my third private lesson, and he said he's so pleased with my progress. WOO-HOO! I'm going into FO3s with more speed, still need a little more flow coming out of the turn, but its coming. FI mohawks are looking and feeling much better, as are back crossovers. Basically, I'm just loving skating right now!

SOUR: The bruises around my ankles. I'm still trying to break in my boots, and they hurt so bad! I've been working a lot on bending my knees more, but the deeper I bend, the more the boots hurt, they are so stiff. Any suggestions for relieving the pressure on my ankles?

96.23??
08-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DancinDiva

SOUR: The bruises around my ankles. I'm still trying to break in my boots, and they hurt so bad! I've been working a lot on bending my knees more, but the deeper I bend, the more the boots hurt, they are so stiff. Any suggestions for relieving the pressure on my ankles?

Have you tried Bunga Pads/ Ankle Sleeves?

DancinDiva
08-01-2003, 07:00 PM
No, I have not yet tried bunga pads or ankle sleeves. I was not sure if I wanted to buy them since I'm pretty sure that once I break in the skates they won't hurt so bad. Maybe I'll try them, though.

96.23??
08-01-2003, 07:06 PM
I see.. ummm how about maybe make up pads? They are pretty inexpensive and if they are too big you can cut them down to size.

dooobedooo
08-02-2003, 02:02 AM
Ask your coach for the name of a good boot fitter, and get them to punch out the ankles. They use a special tool which makes a shallow dome in the leather, about 1.25 inches across. It looks OK, and doesn't weaken the boot.

mikawendy
08-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by DancinDiva

Try using Bunga sleeves or Bunga pads. Most pro shops sell these, but you might also be able to buy them online. They're padded gel sleeves or pads that you can wear to protect the ankle bones. I've never used them but a lot of skaters love them.

Also, are you lacing the tops of your boots too tightly? You can ask you coach what he thinks, but a general guideline is that you should be able to insert a finger in the top of your boots. If you can't, they're definitely too tight. (Of course, lacing is a very personal thing--some people like their laces very tight and others don't). I try to make the lacing around my forefoot tight, then I tie a half-knot (I think it's called a surgeon's knot) before lacing my laces around the hooks. This way, the forefoot is snug and my foot doesn't slide around, but the upper part of my boot is just loose enough to allow ankle and knee bend.

Plus, if you're just breaking in your skates, a lot of people recommend only lacing the bottom hook for a certain number of hours, then lacing the bottom two hooks for a certain number of hours, and not lacing all of the hooks until after that.

Mrs Redboots
08-03-2003, 06:04 AM
Ooh -they've changed it all again! I like it - the print is bigger!

Anyway, this morning's lesson was basically working out Tango steps and sequences - we still don't have any music, but I'm going to try us with the tango On this night of a thousand stars from Evita. I've just cut a copy that I think will do, and I can always redo it if I have to.

Sweet: Quite a lot of things work, or will work when we're used to them. Really huge chassés; doing a swing roll where you stop in the middle; some of our turn sequences.... even cross-rolls in Foxtrot hold. I want to try to do a sequence of 4 cross-rolls, then I do a 3-turn (Robert is going to have to help me), and then two cross-rolls in waltz hold. I can just manage two back cross-rolls these days, which is new and delightful!

Sour: Yes well, there was this turn sequence the coach wanted us to do that is, frankly, impossible. We are in Kilian hold, and the idea is to do a 3-turn together, then step straight to forwards, a sort of half-twizzle, and I can't do it! I could do it with the coach, but I don't know what he does that Robert doesn't, and the thing is, nor does Robert! Oh well....

quarkiki2
08-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Hello, all!

Had my last lesson as an ISI Delta on Saturday. Our regular instructor was out-of-town, so the skating director taught our class. She missed our tests last week -- you know, the one I thought I failed and instead passed?

Anyway, we reviewed all of the Delta elements. She asked for a little more height on my "bunny limp", and I eeked out another inch or so, LOL! Another adult in the group who appears to be about my skill level said my bunny hops are "dainty" and "cute". Like a bunny!

Then we tried spirals. I know it's cheating, but I can get my freeleg high enough to pass without leaning my chest and the director called me on it. Said it would be better if I could lean my chest down. So I reluctantly leaned my chest down and managed to get my leg so that I could just see my boot over my head in my reflection. I know with practice I'll be more comfortable. And I thought we were done there, but she had me demo my leaning spiral for the class as a good example of turn-out.

Then we learned waltz jumps. Or waltz steps in my case. At the boards I could jump a little, but not out on the ice yet. I'll get there, I know. Besides that, the instructor who teaches the Freestyle levels won't let me not do it. He's pretty insistant that you actually do the skill when you're asked. And, for some reason, knowing that helps me some -- almost like it takes away my choice. That helps me not chicken out, which appears to be my main problem.

We finished with the forward edge patterns from Delta, which I really like doing. I like hitting the rhythm that makes them flow from one foot to the other.

So, all-in-all it was a Sweet lesson, but I've got to get those 3turns in better shape before I even try to do them for the next session in two weeks. And review stroking and back crossovers because of the jump and spin in Freestyle 1. I'm just thankful that one of the other women in my class who was passed on seems to be as wobbly as I am and she's planning on taking the next calss with me, too. We'll be in Freestyle 1 for, oh, a year, I imagine, since neither of us are too crazy about leaving the ice. She can at least do the 3turns, but she hates the mohawks and finds the forward edges pretty exasperating, too. Hopefully working on the back edges in Freestyle 1 will help my 3 turns. At least I'm convincing myself of that!

garyc254
08-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by quarkiki2
Had my last lesson as an ISI Delta on Saturday.......She missed our tests last week -- you know, the one I thought I failed and instead passed?

I missed your original announcement about passing Delta and just now figured it out.

WAY TO GO!!!!!! :D :D :D

Onward to FS1. Time to start jumping and spinning.

My heavens, you'll be testing FS10 before you know it. ;) :lol:

TreSk8sAZ
08-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Sweet: First time back on ice since I broke my wrist.:D Scary, but thank GOD I'm back on. For not skating for 3 weeks, all of the elements weren't that bad!

Sour: Every time I felt the slightest bit wobbly, I bailed big time. I was just afraid of falling on the cast. My wrist is sore, but right now I'm not caring too much!

CanAmSk8ter
08-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Sweet: OMG, I did it! I skated four times in two different competitions with no nerves! I've never been so calm about competing, especially not a a big event like Lake Placid. I did my club competition last weekend and placed second out of three in Novice dance, and third out of three in Junior dance, but I skated really well. Then in Lake Placid I had two more clean performances and moved up from fourteenth the last two years to eighth. I watched the video and was even surprised myself at how good it looked. There were five groups of Novice, and my parents and a couple of my rinkmates from home said than in one of the other groups I probably would have had a shot at a medal, or at least fourth or fifth. Of the ten skaters in my group, four of the top five were competing Junior as well, and three were also competing Senior. So, as my dad pointed out, of the girls who were really Novices, I placed fourth out of six, and it was just sixteen months ago that I was placing fourth out of six in Intermediate.

Can you tell I'm happy? :D

And now the big news: my coach and I were discussing my next USFSA competition at the end of September, and he said we'll keep working on the Viennese- he wants to think about having me skate SENIOR! I know we decided I'd start skating Junior this year, and probably do Novice and Junior next year at Lake Placid, but I didn't expect to start skating senior until next July at the earliest. Well, we'll see what happens. My Viennese isn't bad, but it's far from great. I have several other dances to work on, too. But I have plenty of ice time in the fall, so we'll see how it goes.