View Full Version : Favorite Couple???

Stella Errans
07-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Who is your favorite Interpretive Couple???? Do you have one? I DO!
KiKi & JiJi from Canada are by far my favorites but I admire Shelly Kabon and Luke Vombat's livingness....anyways, please reply with your faves!!!!!

Mrs Redboots
07-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Wouldn't this thread be better on one of the non-participant "fan" forums?

Stella Errans
07-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Yes RedBoots, it probably would, but there is also a poll...did you know? I did! Anyways, everybody should vote!! (Poll: Favorite Couple!!!). But I would like to see some more replies, (some that aren't critical about my posts) Anyways, Stella loves you all!

skaternum
07-24-2003, 02:06 PM
You do realize that lots of us have no idea what you're talking about? "Interpretive Couple" ??

Stella Errans
07-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Yes, I am quite aware that some people aren't aware of the many different disciplines of Figure Skating, but you don't need to post this.
This is a very interesting discipline where a pair of skaters skate to any music (vocals are allowed) and they must have very creative choreography and intrecate steps with good flow and power. Double and Triple jumps are not allowed, apart from that, there are no other rules.

skaternum
07-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Stella Errans
Yes, I am quite aware that some people aren't aware of the many different disciplines of Figure Skating, but you don't need to post this.

Why not? If more people knew what you were talking about, you might get more responses. So far, you've gotten no responses to your original question.

There are "disciplines" in figure skating, and then there are disciplines in figure skating. The 5 internationally recognized disciplines are ladies singles, men's singles, pairs, ice dance, and synchronized skating. Any of the other "disciplines," like artistic, interpretive, showcase, spotlight, fours, whatever, are not universally practiced, so it's always a good idea to specify what you're talking about.

And you really should consider moving this thread to one of the other forums, where you might get more responses and where it's more appropriate.

Unless, of course, you're just trying to get a rise out of us?

96.23??
07-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Maybe if you moved this to "General Skating Chats, Polls and Discussions" more people will respond to you! :):) because I for one have absolutely no idea what interp. couples are! ;)

Stella Errans
07-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Actually my friends, there IS a poll in "General Skating Chats, Polls and Discussions" it is called Favorite Couple!!! But if you guys don't know what I am talking about then just don't vote :??

:lol:

I'm sorry if I have confused any of you :cry:
Stella loves you all! :halo:

Skatingsarah
07-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Lol, the lighter side of skating forums. If they have interpretive singles and I've tried that, So I'm telling ya pairs would be pretty hard.. Oh well at least Stella isn't mean about it she seems like a harmless lady, living in the world of umm interpretive pairs but no ones perfect! So I'd say I'd go with the Canadians and umma then the Chinease pair cuz they have cool names oh ya and the Americans dont seem have bad.. I guess! Happy Stella??
-Sarah

Mrs Redboots
07-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Yes RedBoots,That's Mrs Redboots to you, if you please. it probably would, but there is also a poll...did you know? I did! Anyways, everybody should vote!! (Poll: Favorite Couple!!!). But I would like to see some more replies, (some that aren't critical about my posts) Anyways, Stella loves you all! What makes you think that I, or anybody else, is interested? If I were, I would read the General Skating Chat forum.

96.23??
07-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Calm down there ladies.. we know what happened last time when there was a little argument about the " Plea For Easier Reading" thread.. which did involve me :S

flo
07-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi,
Actually what "happened" is we had the chance to bring up some difficulties, and resolve them - to the credit of all involved.

Stella, I noticed that you are pretty new to the board, so it may be good to take some time to look at the different forums before you post more, and also listen to the suggestions of those who have a great bit of experience with the forums.
As far as your post, It's great that you did think of putting it as a pole under the other listing. Since you did that, I don't think there's much point in re-posting it here. If you have a post on the other threads, and you think we may be interested in it's contents, perhaps you can include a note in one of your other posts here.

sk8ing is lyfe
07-25-2003, 04:37 PM
I think this thread goes very nicely here.

I definitely love K&J from canada. they are super amazing. their double dutch footwork is taking interpretive couples to a whole new level!

good luck to them in the future!

and keep posting stella we all love you here!

sk8lurv
07-25-2003, 05:49 PM
My fave interpretive couple is Mr and Mrs Redboots from England. They rock . Their overhead double-back twist is awesome .

Stella Errans
07-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Wow, I am so happy to see that some ppl enjoy watching this part of figure skating as much as me! Thank you SkatingSarah and Sk8ing is lyfe, Stella loves you!:halo: But I am quite shocked by the rudeness of others, did anybody notice this? I did! Anywho, it looks like some people do care MRS RedBoots from London, UK who has 2575 posts, but thank you very much for your oh-so-very-kind comments about my post! Stella loves you all!:D

sk8ing is lyfe
07-25-2003, 09:31 PM
all i can say is hahahahahahah! BURN!

ert... WRONG!

sk8er1964
07-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Wow, I am so happy to see that some ppl enjoy watching this part of figure skating as much as me! Thank you SkatingSarah and Sk8ing is lyfe, Stella loves you!:halo: But I am quite shocked by the rudeness of others, did anybody notice this? I did! Anywho, it looks like some people do care MRS RedBoots from London, UK who has 2575 posts, but thank you very much for your oh-so-very-kind comments about my post! Stella loves you all!:D

Stella - If you want to be accepted here, it is best that you do not slam other posters. We are skaters here - that's what On Ice is for - we don't just watch....we skate. If you are actually participating in a particular discipline of this sport, then please -- tell us about it. This is the kind of thing we want to hear. If you are simply a fan, then please post on the appropriate areas of the site - not here. At any rate, please never post here again if you prefer to mock others instead of contributing something valuable.

I, for one, do care what MRS Redboots from London UK who has 2575 posts thinks. If you continue to post like this, I will never care what you think. Sorry, but that's the truth.

dooobedooo
07-26-2003, 02:28 AM
It seems that interpretive couples is a relatively new discipline, and because it focusses on pair skating quality rather than jumps it is of great technical interest to all skaters, of all abilities ages and levels.

Therefore IMHO Stella Errans has posted this thread in the correct forum.

Stella, can you tell us more about the technical content of the programs, the history of this discipline, and where we can see if done? Also, who are the great interpretive couples of the moment, and why? Can you give us any web links to more info? Thanks.

Mrs Redboots
07-26-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by sk8lurv
My fave interpretive couple is Mr and Mrs Redboots from England. They rock . Their overhead double-back twist is awesome . You should have seen our Leader of the Pack routine from a couple of years ago.... http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/photos/P009.jpg even now, some quite sensible skaters who should know better, keep begging us to revive it!

96.23??
07-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Is that you? :)

skaternum
07-26-2003, 09:32 AM
But I am quite shocked by the rudeness of others, did anybody notice this? I did!

Stella, you're new, so we're going to cut you some slack. This forum isn't generally the place for these little "cute" joke threads. The made-up skaters and made-up disciplines belong elsewhere. We've been trying to get the message across without a hammer. Apparently one is needed.

A newcomer who just registered last week generally doesn't come into an established online culture, essentially taunt those in it, then call them rude when they respond. That makes the newcomer come across as the rude one.

Your poll on the other forum is just fine there. Perhaps you should leave it there and not bring it here.

Sho
07-26-2003, 05:10 PM
"The made-up skaters and made-up disciplines belong elsewhere" originally posted by skaternum

Umm, actually there is such a discipline, it isn't made up! I for one have done it before, it's quite fun actually, I don't know about the skaters, but yes, Interpretive couples do exist, I think it's fairly new tho, anyways, well, that's all I have to say!:roll:

skaternum
07-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Well, see, that's the problem with posting in such a style. I looked at the poll on the other forum, read all Stella's posts in all forums, and looked at her posting style. All the hallmarks of someone just trying to get a rise out of us are there: registered within the last week, posting obsessively on a single topic, "taunting" some of the regulars, etc. If that's not the case, then it's a perfect illustration of how one needs to be conscious of how they post things in a place like this.

So it's a real discipline. A question about who's your favoite (which is how this all started) still doesn't really belong here in this forum. I think it belongs in one of the fan forums.

Sho
07-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Hmm, you have some good points, but who says that actual skaters may not enjoy reading this? I partially agree with you about the many posts tho, but I don't think she was "taunting" other members, I read Mrs. RedBoots comments and asking why she or any other member would care about something that Stella obviously enjoys is kinda mean. Anyhoo, I hope no harm was done!

skaternum
07-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Sho
Hmm, you have some good points, but who says that actual skaters may not enjoy reading this? ... Anyhoo, I hope no harm was done!

Actual skaters may enjoy reading this, just as they may enjoy reading about Alexei Yagudin's new program. But that still doesn't mean it's appropriate for this forum. And no, I don't think any harm was done. Nobody's gonna die from following this thread, but it's still not appropriate.

Sho
07-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Hahahahaha, nobody is gonna die...lol hahaha! Funny! :lol:
Well I don't really see the inappropriateness (if that's a word!)
Anyways! That's just what Sho thinks.
p.s what do you do to quote what ppl said in ur reply? Like when ppl put something someone else wrote in bold and then have "originally posted by...??? Please help me!:oops: Ive been trying to figure it out (without any success:oops: :oops: :oops: )

sk8er1964
07-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Sho
Hahahahaha, nobody is gonna die...lol hahaha! Funny! :lol:
Well I don't really see the inappropriateness (if that's a word!)
Anyways! That's just what Sho thinks.
p.s what do you do to quote what ppl said in ur reply? Like when ppl put something someone else wrote in bold and then have "originally posted by...??? Please help me!:oops: Ive been trying to figure it out (without any success:oops: :oops: :oops: )

You click on "quote" on the bottom right of the original post.

I choose not to respond to anything else posted at this time :roll: .

Sho
07-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanx a bunch!!

But I dont get this part.....:?:

Originally posted by sk8er1964

I choose not to respond to anything else posted at this time :roll: .

Thanks again!!

Mrs Redboots
07-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 96.23??
Is that you? :) Indeed, yes. Us a couple of years ago -we're both somewhat greyer and I'm somewhat fatter these days (and Robert had to darken his "designer stubble" with burnt cork as, to his horror, it grew in grey and didn't show!).

Sho
07-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Indeed, yes. Us a couple of years ago -we're both somewhat greyer and I'm somewhat fatter these days (and Robert had to darken his "designer stubble" with burnt cork as, to his horror, it grew in grey and didn't show!).

Was it for a show program? Or was it actually Interpretive Couples or pairs??? heehee I like the props!

Mrs Redboots
07-27-2003, 08:46 AM
It was for what's called, in this country, "Small Group Artistic", which is a group of 2-5 skaters doing a (usually, but not always funny) piece of up to 2.5 minutes long. We performed it at two competitions about 3 or 4 years ago, but since then we've been focussing on our dancing and haven't had time to do another number. One of these days.....

The trio who have won the class at the Bracknell Adult Open for the past goodness-knows-how-many years are not only very funny, but skate extremely well - and I know for a fact that two of them are septuagenarians, and I don't think the third one is far off!

Sho
07-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Huh, interesting, so basically it is the same as interpretive couples but youre allowed more skaters.

dooobedooo
07-27-2003, 04:50 PM
In the UK, "artistic" is different from "interpretive". I think the "small group artistic" allows people who have good ideas and showmanship to do well, even if their skating is a low standard. On the other hand, as I understand it, interpretive is more about very good skating, but fewer jumps.

The judge's marking is complicated for "small group artistic" - perhaps someone else from the UK can explain it. I think you have 5 judges, and each judge marks a different category: for example one judge marks technique, one marks props, one marks idea, one marks presentation etc. So a group of skaters could get only 1.0 for technique ((just slowish foward and backward skating with a few bad turns) but 5.5 for props and presentation, if they have a really entertaining number.

Sho
07-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Interpretive here used to be called Artistic, but they chose to change the name. We are not allowed props.

96.23??
07-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Sho
Interpretive here used to be called Artistic, but they chose to change the name. We are not allowed props.

Same as here! Artistic is now called Interpretive, and what used to be Intepretive is now called Improv. :)

sk8er1964
07-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 96.23??
Same as here! Artistic is now called Interpretive, and what used to be Intepretive is now called Improv. :)

When I was a kid, Interpretive was showing up to the competition, hearing the music several times, and making up a program on the spot. That actually came out of the ISIA (ISI now). I hear that died off for a while, but did see it at a USFSA comp this spring. Was that Improv?

I heard a story once about a returning adult, like me, who signed up for an adult interp and thought it was like the old days. Showed up at the comp without a program. Don't know if the story was true, but it does make a good skating urban legend!

Mrs Redboots
07-28-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
The judge's marking is complicated for "small group artistic" - perhaps someone else from the UK can explain it. I think you have 5 judges, and each judge marks a different category: for example one judge marks technique, one marks props, one marks idea, one marks presentation etc. So a group of skaters could get only 1.0 for technique ((just slowish foward and backward skating with a few bad turns) but 5.5 for props and presentation, if they have a really entertaining number. It really depends on the competition; some comps don't even have a technical mark! At the last competition I was at, I think there were marks for technical merit, artistic impression, choreography, music and costume - something like that, anyway - and the second mark was for entertainment value. But the judges don't always seem to differentiate; not like American and French judges who can give me what I deserve from a technical point of view, and then give me a really, really high presentation mark!

My last programme, Jake the Peg came last in the UK, won in France, last in the UK, won in France and (at long last) Bronze in the UK. Whereupon it went into retirement, but the point is, you simply can't tell what the judges are going to like on the day.

96.23??
07-28-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
When I was a kid, Interpretive was showing up to the competition, hearing the music several times, and making up a program on the spot. That actually came out of the ISIA (ISI now). I hear that died off for a while, but did see it at a USFSA comp this spring. Was that Improv?

Yes, Improv ( used to be interpretive ) is when you do not have a program and at the competition you hear the music a few times and make up the program on the spot.

Now Interpretive is what used to be artistic, which is a program where it's not all about the jumps and spins, but how you skate to the music :)

~Qtip~
08-07-2003, 03:27 PM
I really enjoyed looking at your picture , but i was some what disapointed your boots were not red?!.... maybe you should die them..why is your name red boots any ways.. do you and Roberto have any childs?!

Sho
08-07-2003, 04:41 PM
yeeeaaaah, that's true, how come your boots aren't red???

96.23??
08-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Heeey! Yah I just looked at the pic too!! Did you have a pair of boots before these ones that were red?

Mrs Redboots
08-08-2003, 08:49 AM
No, but when I very first bought a pair of skates, I also bought a pair of red boot covers, and always wore them, on the grounds that until people at the rink knew my name, I'd rather they thought of me as "The woman with the red boot covers" than as "That fat woman who can't skate!" These days I have about 8 or 9 pairs of boot covers, and always wear some, but, sadly, I lost the original red pair. I do have a crimson pair and a scarlet pair, though - DBNY gave me the latter, and they are always the ones I wear if, for instance, someone I've only "met" on the Internet is coming to skate.

And, Qtip, yes, we did have a child, but she's long grown and flown now, and living her own life in another city.

~Qtip~
08-08-2003, 08:41 PM
I know this is none of my buisness mrs redboots but by any chance is your daughters name rhainne..you look very familar to me?!~:lol:

Mrs Redboots
08-09-2003, 10:12 AM
No, I'm afraid that, like almost every other child of her generation (I exaggerate, but not by much), she's yet another Emily. I don't think you and I have met - not yet, anyway! Perhaps you will come and skate here one day, or perhaps I will come and skate where you are.