View Full Version : Velvet or barbed wire: lessons/practices 21-28 July 2003

Mrs Redboots
07-23-2003, 10:45 AM
About time someone started the thread for this week, or am I the only person skating in the height of summer?

Barbed Wire: Didn't have as long to skate as usual as there were tests (mostly passed, thankfully), so I had almost no time to warm up before my lesson and was still slightly clunky at the start of it. Coach understood, though.

It turns out that I have a very bad habit of starting off the lap doing what I have been told to do quite well, but after two or three whatever-it-wases, relaxing and doing them badly! I think every single exercise I did in my lesson was like that. My biggest fault, my coach said, was not bringing my feet together all the time.

Velvet: Did manage to do some comfortable BO edges, not very fast and not very edgy, but strong and comfortable. Back chasses weren't too bad, either. Forwards chasses okay, but was reminded to keep my feet together, but then, I was in practically everything! We also worked on 3-turns and Mohawks, for a change of pace - haven't done waltz 3s for ages, except in practice, and was pleased that he wasn't too rude about them. Still have trouble controlling the BO edge though, and sometimes in pushing on to it. Only bottled one turn!

sk8pics
07-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Nope, I'm skating too!

Velvet: Things are going pretty well, with some good improvements in some of my jumps. Good thing too as I am competing on Saturday and Sunday for the first time! My interpretive program feels good and my coach is being really picky about things, but that's good. My compulsory moves program is okay but a little less comfortable. There are a couple of moves that could go either way, but right now they're all working pretty well.

Barbed Wire: None of my coaches can be there on Saturday for my moves competition. We've asked a couple of other coaches, too, but no one seems to be available. So I guess I'll be putting myself on the ice 8O. One of my friends will be there for moral support, at least.

The other Barbed Wire was in nearly killing myself in a run through with music yesterday, when a child stepped directly in front of me and a few feet away and started spinning as I was literally in mid-crossover. My right foot was already half way over and I had to shift and step really flat in order to not hit the kid. Scared me half to death and I literally shook like a leaf for 10 minutes after. My coach had to settle me down and from then on he skated right in front of me exactly in my path and literally moved people aside. And it wasn't even that crowded. How is it that these kids haven't been run over by cars considering the level of attention they're able to give to their surroundings?

Sigh. I hope to survive my next couple of sessions and then the competition!

Pat

blondeangl
07-23-2003, 12:47 PM
For yesterdays group lesson for basic 7:

Velvet: Everything in the level. My pivots, BO to FO edge on circle, ballet jump, and back crossovers to BO landing edge were all great! My mohalks were better then ever I was so happy!! :D I also had really good watlz jumps and watlz-waltz combos!

Barbed Wire: The scratch spin still isnt working for me ... If i get the entrance good i can start to pull in but i always end up stepping out ... rrr :x

garyc254
07-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by sk8pics
How is it that these kids haven't been run over by cars considering the level of attention they're able to give to their surroundings?

Too funny!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

garyc254
07-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Skated on Monday evening, but my coach was on vacation so no lesson. Haven't seen her in 3 weeks.

Spent most of my time just stroking slowly. My sciatica was acting up and the pain got steadily worse the longer I skated.

I'll be skating a couple of classes tonight and then leaving tomorrow morning for a long weekend trout fishing/camping trip with my twin sons. Time for some mental R & R. :D :D :D

I hear a trout in the distance softly calling "Gary...... Gary...... Gary". :lol:

sk8pics
07-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Gary,
Sorry to hear your sciatica is acting up still! Maybe some R&R is just what you need.

I forgot to add earlier that I've now lost 17 pounds (since early May)!8-) Getting lots of compliments and my coach says my new skating dress (for the competition this weekend) looks great.

How is everyone else doing? Gary? Dbny?

Pat

garyc254
07-23-2003, 02:45 PM
I forgot to add earlier that I've now lost 17 pounds (since early May)!8-) Getting lots of compliments and my coach says my new skating dress (for the competition this weekend) looks great.

WAY TO GO!!!!! :D :D :D

I've fallen off the wagon in my quest for thinner. Although I can't say I've checked lately. Life has been so hectic I haven't had time to check. I've got a checkup with my doctor next week, so I'll find out then. 8O

jazzpants
07-23-2003, 03:10 PM
"Gary... Gary... Gary...." (Nope! I didn't hear anything...) :roll: :lol:

Sorry to hear about your sciatica too! SHEESH! First Annabel, then a friend of mine who skates with me... and I started having a mild case the last couple of weeks and now you... Must be something in the ice.... :roll:

BIG PLUSHY Velvet: Not directly skating related but....

I GOT A JOB!!! I GOT A JOB!!! I GOT A JOB!!! :D :D :D I can afford to skate again!!! YAY ME!!! :mrgreen:

I got the offer over the phone today. Salary is on the low end of what I was expecting, but beggars can't be choosers... and HEY! I can afford to skate again!!! :mrgreen:

Barbed wire: With today's Velvet, who cares??? :D

garyc254
07-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
I GOT A JOB!!! I GOT A JOB!!! I GOT A JOB!!! :D :D :D I can afford to skate again!!! YAY ME!!! :mrgreen:

ALRIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Back on the ice again. HOORAY!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LoopLoop
07-23-2003, 03:34 PM

Woo-hoo!

MissIndigo
07-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Barbed Wire:

Bad wreck on interstate that nearly made me miss my lesson! Grrrr!!!

Velvet:

Everything else! It was my day to run through my moves with my primary freestyle coach (she's interested in these too). Did really well with those.

Layback spins were great. They are laying back, but I just need to work on my toe point, and I'll have it!

Backspin slowly but surely improving.

I have felt an overall difference with my skating since I started taking MITF from a different coach. She really pushes me when I skate, and it's been very good for my work ethic and overall skating state of mind. I actually feel better even though she's pretty critical! She's very technical when it comes to the moves, which I find super helpful. I'm glad that arrangement is working out!

Overall, few words, but happy ones!

CONGRATS jazzpants on finding a new job! Here's a shout out to ya!!! :D

96.23??
07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Barbed: double toes .. ooo i hate the feeling of them :evil: :evil: :evil: oh and double flips :(

Velvet: mostly everything else! :)

CanAmSk8ter
07-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Barbed Wire: I'm very tired today, lesson tonight was good but not great just because I'm tired and my knees are sore. My body's telling me I'm overdoing it- make a note of the date everybody, I'm actually going to LISTEN and take tomorrow afternoon off before the gental reminder turns into screaming :D

Velvet: I haven't had time to post, but basically the last week has been velvet. The team I train with has been working on the same dance I have for the competition next week, so I've been doing double compulsory run-throughs right along with them. Their coach actually looks around for me now and calls me if I'm not paying attention when he's going to put the music on! As a result, both my coach, their coach, and both of their moms have told me that my Paso looks good. I compete Saturday, test Sunday, take my next ISI dances Tuesday, and compete Wednesday and Thursday.

I must be crazy.

Oh, as for the weight loss group, keep going! I've lost four pounds in the last two weeks, which puts me at 116. Competition weight for me is 112-115, so I'm more or less there. I leave for the big competition Tuesday, so I may very well make it.

montanarose
07-23-2003, 09:38 PM
Velvet: For the first time since I started with my current coach (about 4 months), she remarked on my progress since the last lesson -- huzzah! Just goes to show what skating five days between lessons can do :lol: Specifically, my back crossovers are FINALLY coming together and in both directions, no less. The things that have made the most difference are (1) sitting down and staying down on that back outside edge before crossing over and (2) making sure to keep both feet on the ice -- albeit briefly -- after crossing over and before lifting the crossed-over foot.

Barbed wire: I continue to struggle w/my *#!** FO3s. Specifically, I have two fatal flaws: (1) I chicken out and stay too far back on my blade rather than shifting my weight forward before the turn and (2) I don't keep my free leg and hip back; instead, I tend to hurl them forward. My coach is trying to drill into me the fact that the skating side, not the free side, is what turns you, but my poor free leg must be deaf -- looks like I'll be spending a lot of time at the boards this week trying to tame it!

Mrs Redboots
07-24-2003, 07:33 AM
"Gary... Gary... Gary...." (Nope! I didn't hear anything...) :roll: :lol:

Sorry to hear about your sciatica too! SHEESH! First Annabel, then a friend of mine who skates with me... and I started having a mild case the last couple of weeks and now you... Must be something in the ice.... :roll:And why is it that sciatica and skating don't mix, when sciatica and walking seem to mix quite beautifully? I'd far rather skate than walk....

I GOT A JOB!!! I GOT A JOB!!! I GOT A JOB!!! :D :D :D I can afford to skate again!!! YAY ME!!! :mrgreen: Oh I am so glad for you! That is truly wonderful news :D :D :D I do hope it turns out to be everything you ever wanted in a job. Do let us know....

icenut84
07-24-2003, 10:56 AM
I skated today on a practice session, but after half an hour of being the only one on the ice, and then some high-level kids coming on, a coach told me the practice session was on the other rink and this was an elite session! Eek. lol. Wasn't my fault though, the timetables were wrong.

Velvet:

Spins were ok - some had better centering too. They were better balanced and controlled, although on my CW ones by free foot wasn't in the right place - instead of being against my knee, it was behind it.

Waltz jump was good, pivots were good, and spirals were good (although I'm not sure what my amplitude and extension is like - probably not as good as I'd imagine).

I also spent time practicing edges and crossovers - all felt nice, and I've been concentrating lately especially on pushing with the whole blade on forward crossovers, as my old coach told me I had a tendency to toe-push a little bit (even if it was just a little flick at the end of the push). Felt good today though.

Barbed wire:

I tried to practice toe loops but I kept chickening out! Don't know why but it was annoying. :frus: . Salchow's were somewhere else too - I did manage a few, but they were hardly stellar. Mental note: if you don't practice your jumps, you can't expect them to stay consistent! Didn't try loop or flip. I probably should wait till I'm in lessons again for those jumps, otherwise I'm bound to do it wrong.

I practiced some circular step sequences - they were ok, but not fantastic. I keep getting dizzy!

quarkiki2
07-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Hola, all! Just returned from vacation. At 1 AM Last night and in the office bright an early at 9AM today! Zzzzz....

These are from last week, but since I was on vacation I didn't really have tome to update.

Velvet: I had a make-up lesson with a coach I adore since I was going to miss this past Saturday's lesson. She helped me see that my first two lobes of my forward edges are more than passing, but the second two are not so I worked the transition and all seems well now. YAY! So now I'm pretty confident that my forward edges and lunge will pass my Delta test this Saturday. I think the bunny hop, too, but we really don't practice them too much. Maybe tonight?

Then I stayed on since there was a pretty uncrowded public session afterward. I got off the ice and relaced my skates and, on a whim, decided to use the top hook for the first time since I got the boots a year ago.

OH MY GOSH! I hadn't realized my skates were broken in enough to require that top hook, but after lacing it I WAS ACTAULLY ABLE TO DO MY FORWARD THREE TURNS!!!!! INside and outside!! Here I was, struggling for months and feeling very insecure in my backwards glides, but I lace that top hook and the added stability makes it so that I can do the freakin' 3 turns! Mind you, there weren't many and I tended to get very excited about them when I did do them, thus stepping out quickly, but they were rotated and the exit edge was held long enough to tell it is an edge and I'm not falling out of the turns!!!

Unfortunately, since I was on vacation I did not have the opportunity to try out my new turns for a week. So I'll go down an practice tonight. Let's hope they're still here!

DancinDiva
07-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Velvet: EVERYTHING! Oh, what a wonderful lesson I had today. I wish I had a picture of my coach's face when he saw my FO3s. He was so impressed, he even said so himself. And he isn't one to heap on praise when it isn't deserved. I guess all my practice this past week paid off. I learned progressives, rolls, and chasses (umm...not sure how that's spelled) today and had a lot of fun with them, trying them out at different tempos. Coach had me do them in different sequences, which was fun.

batikat
07-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Well I was thinking of having a rest after our rinks recent adult Opens but then I found out we were having a British Adult Championships after all and it will be the end of September - which means if I don't want to make too much of a fool of myself I will need to keep practising through the summer. It is going to be a bit more interesting for us low level skaters this year (last year we only got to do a single compulsory) as they are including two compulsories and an Original Dance. The only problem is that they have chosen a March as the OD rhythm which unfortunately is
a) not the same as the OD I have just done for our Adult Opens (Rock'n'Roll - great fun) which would have been a lot more useful.
b) not the most inspiring of rhythms
c) my coachs' least favourite of all the dance rhythms

and we don't have a lot of time to prepare it. I just hope it doesnt put people off entering, as with the summer holidays it is going to be tough to get anything presentable by the end of September.

Anyway we spent today finishing the basic choreography - though it will need a great deal of polishing and rearrangement before it is any good at all.

The only real velvet is that despite it being school holidays the rink was very quiet and I was able to practice the OD a bit.
Velvet moment from my other lesson this week was my upright spin - I managed a few with 8+ rotations and minimal travel.:D

barbed wire - don't know where my sit spin went.
:(

sk8er1964
07-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Velvet:

Got 1 and 3/4's rotation on a double toe today. Getting more used to the feeling of trying to cross my feet in the air...when I originally learned my doubles some 25 years ago, we did them with our feet parallel to each other, not crossed. So it's a case of an old dog learning new tricks. My coach says my takeoff is really good now, which I've been working on correcting for the last two weeks or so (I was wrapping).

I'm doing axel combos now - coach introduced me to an axel-toe loop-loop at my lesson. The first one I did was too funny - arms flailing. But I've done a couple of decent ones now (with at least some flow out). Axel is definately home to stay.

Intermediate MIF's are moving along slowly, but still improving.

Injured hip flexor is giving me absolutely no problems any more. It feels soooo good to skate without pain.

Barbed Wire:

Skating has been going fairly well for me lately. The 97 million or so falls I've taken on the double toe have been an ouch. I cannot find anything I like for next year's AN program :( . Spins aren't doing too well, mainly because I'm not practicing them a whole lot lately.

sk8pics
07-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
WAY TO GO!!!!! :D :D :D

I've fallen off the wagon in my quest for thinner. Although I can't say I've checked lately. Life has been so hectic I haven't had time to check. I've got a checkup with my doctor next week, so I'll find out then. 8O

Just hang in there and don't give up! Maybe your doc will give you some motivation! Thanks for the congrats!

And Congratulations to Jazzpants!!

As for me, a Velvet lesson today with my secondary coach, who commented on my weight loss and my improved back edges. 8-) Then a good lesson with my primary coach and we spent a lot of time working on my compulsory moves program, which really helped. Then 2 run throughs of my interpretive program. In the first, my second toe loop was a little wobbly, but the last runthrough felt really good and coach was very happy! I was, too!:)

Have fun everyone, and hope I don't have a nervous breakdown putting myself on the ice for my first competition ever!!!

Pat

jazzpants
07-25-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
And why is it that sciatica and skating don't mix, when sciatica and walking seem to mix quite beautifully? I'd far rather skate than walk....
*sigh* Me too, but you do run the risk of your legs buckle b/c it's weak at that point. And it's no fun if you're just stroking around. (Unless you're a speed skater or you're trying to build up your speed...)

Oh I am so glad for you! That is truly wonderful news :D :D :D I do hope it turns out to be everything you ever wanted in a job. Do let us know....

Thank you!!! I am SOOOOO relieved now!!! :mrgreen: (At least for now...) :P :roll: It's been a very rough six months and both hubby and I were EXTREMELY STRESSED about money and stuff. We're still stressed about money, AAMOF, b/c HE is STILL unemployed and he doesn't seemed to have any job prospects. :( I came close a couple of times of having to lose skating too, but hubby reminded me that skating is my sanity now... and hey, I'm not gonna argue about THAT!!! :twisted:

And wouldn't you know it. I had a dry spell (except for my new job) for the beginning of July and on the day I sign my offer letter and sent it back I get email from about 3 companies who want to interview me!!! SHEESH!!! :roll: :D I better interview though...just in case this job falls apart on me, since I've read too many job horror stories of this happening...

jazzpants
07-25-2003, 01:47 AM
Velvet Bronze Moves: Except for power 3's, everything seemed to be okay. Five step mohawk good on the second run.
Loop: Landed ONE!!!
Amazingly: I churned out passing sit spins and scratch spins w/o a warmup!!! WHEW!!! :P
Barbed wire Bronze Moves: The first run for five step mohawk SUCKED!!! (I crashed into the walls!!!) :oops: Power 3's need a lot of work!!! WAAAH!!!!
Loop: Loops are still two footed landing... though coach keeps telling me that I'm THISCLOSE to landing them!!! :x
Flip: I need some work in keeping the back straight (and not bent forward) and free leg straight during the entry.
No backspin still!!! :( Edge was more on the flat and towards the inside edge than the outside... and the times where I did spin on the outside edge, the coach says that I "give up" (i.e. stop spinning) after the first good rev. and fall on the inside edge again. :??

Mme.PairChica
07-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Velvet Clean short for singles with triple toe double toe and double axel and footwork into double flip... Clean short for pairs...sbs triple toes throw triple sal and so on...

Barbed Wire Not a clean long from singles...landed 6 doubles in total...no double axels or any triples...

Mrs Redboots
07-25-2003, 12:12 PM
*sigh* Me too, but you do run the risk of your legs buckle b/c it's weak at that point. And it's no fun if you're just stroking around. (Unless you're a speed skater or you're trying to build up your speed...)Oh, I don't know; one does need to improve technique - I've spent quite a lot of my last two lessons doing just that, with my coach running along behind going "Finish that edge" and "Feet together" and "Change your weight now" and so on and so forth!

Last night was dance club, which Robert and I were running in the absence of the usual officials. He was the only man, and there were five women, two of whom went off to the "Learn-to-Dance" club when it got under way. When - nobody seemed to have a key to the music cupboard, and it was nearly 7.15 before we could get any music playing. Deep sigh! But it was fun, all the same, and I enjoyed doing some dances solo and impressing the you-know-what out of the learners.....

flo
07-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Velvet: My primary practice rink is a bit small, and the sessions have been full of social skaters (having a good time going in circles, but pretty oblivious to those trying to work). So, I went to the larger rink to get some practice on doubles. It took a bit to adjust to the difference in entry patterns, but once I did, the doubles were high and landed. Also I had the chance to see Debbie S - there's been great progress!

Barbed wire: Back at the other rink's session (paid for the season) it was more of the same. Grr.

jazzpants
07-26-2003, 12:39 AM
Oh, I don't know; one does need to improve technique - I've spent quite a lot of my last two lessons doing just that, with my coach running along behind going "Finish that edge" and "Feet together" and "Change your weight now" and so on and so forth!

True, but in this case, I'm talking about just barely having enough strength to hold an edge...feeling like at any moment that your legs are gonna buckle from under you...and the only thing that's saving you from a fall on the hip *IS* your technique!!! :P (This WAS me!)

You go show those women how to ice dance Annabel!!! :D :D :D

skatepixie
07-26-2003, 01:39 AM
Velvet:
First private lesson with my new jr pro on wednesday. She has helped me improve so much in ONE lesson. My group coach is great, but its impossible to teach as much as fast when he is teaching 7 girls aged 6-15 in 7 diffrent levels from landing singles to having never heard of a bunny hop. She taught me so much. I even did a waltz jump perfect on my own and like 10 holding her hands. Even my stroaking is more powerful and strong. I feel like its possible for me to become an excelent skater and coach someday. I can spin w/out getting dizzy because she taught me what to do with my eyes.

Barbed Wire:
Then right after the lesson there was ice cut. I went to get a diet coke in the cafe. Then after I went back on the ice. My blades felt funny so I did like 3 bunny hops. On the 4th I fell. Hard. On my knee. I skated off and then got ice. Or, rather, had my mom get ice because I was in pain and had left my guards on the boards. I went back out and did okay. Then when I took my skates off I saw that 2 screws were gone. We went to the front desk and the manager tried to put new screws in, but the holes were stripped. Thats why there are extra holes though. We left my skates so that my coach, who fixes these things, can fix it. I Had to use rentals thrursday because he didnt come in wednesday night. I couldnt even spin on the rentals. My half flips were ROTTEN and they are my fav jump. :( I may have saved my buddy from the same fate though because she was all "OMG! Mine are loose on MY right foot. i just though that was normal" and she got um tightened.

Mrs Redboots
07-26-2003, 06:05 AM
True, but in this case, I'm talking about just barely having enough strength to hold an edge...feeling like at any moment that your legs are gonna buckle from under you...and the only thing that's saving you from a fall on the hip *IS* your technique!!! :P (This WAS me!) Sadly, it was me about three weeks ago, too! It was only one leg that wanted to buckle, but oh dear..... Now I am just wrestling with backache a lot of the time, and a sore bum the rest of it, but it does improve.

Skatepixie, I'm glad you weren't badly hurt in your fall. One of the things you need to keep as part of your basic equipment is a screwdriver, as screws do work loose periodically, and a quick check for any movement in your blades every time you put your skates on can can save some very nasty experiences. And they work loose so quickly too, dammit - I remember one occasion when I was in a drawn partners competition; had a great warm-up and then skated really badly in the competition. I had a great partner, too, so I was very apologetic, but then discovered, when I got off the ice, that one of my blades was wiggling like a 6-year-old's front tooth....

melanieuk
07-26-2003, 02:54 PM
I miss skating. I've been off the ice since May. I'm missing the people and those darn backspins. Maybe next month I'll get back on the ice... Mel

jazzpants
07-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Sadly, it was me about three weeks ago, too! It was only one leg that wanted to buckle, but oh dear..... Now I am just wrestling with backache a lot of the time, and a sore bum the rest of it, but it does improve.

That was me after coming back the SECOND time from the sciatica... I think this was my one month period where I just took it easy and not push for the FS stuff... but I got it back!!! :D

Hi, Mel!!! Welcome back to the fold!!! :P We look forward to hearing about your backspins... I'm very close to getting mine (and am getting it usually when I'm near the barrier.) :P

MissIndigo
07-26-2003, 04:36 PM
I had a dream last night about backspins. Must have been triggered by the fact that I'm going to adult camp next week in Hillsborough and that coach and I worked on the blasted things this past Wednesday.

Anyway, I will have to try some of the things I dreamt about. I remember finding my sweet spot on my right foot and feeling the "shelf" over my right hip and remaining totally square--the result was a perfect backspin.

It would be soooo sweeeeet if this dream were to actually come true!!!

Debbie S
07-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by flo
Also I had the chance to see Debbie S - there's been great progress!

Aww, thanks flo. And your double salchow isn't too shabby, either. :) I was probably being masochistic, but I wore my new skates to edge class Thursday. I figured it wouldn't be a problem since we weren't doing any jumps, or spins for that matter. That part was OK, but by the end of the hour (or really 50 minutes), my feet were killing me. Ugh! And I even put in ankle pads along the inside ankle bone.

Has anyone had SP-Teris heat-molded? The box says they are heat-moldable, but the fitter where I got the skates didn't suggest it to me.

Velvet: Not a whole lot this week, I'm afraid, except that the swelling on my face has dissappeared and there was no bruising.

Barbed wire: My fitter has been away this week (good thing I called the store before driving 1 hour each way) so I couldn't try to fix my problem of still leaning too far inside on my left skate - and since the blades are mounted as far inside as they could possibly be and still be attached to the sole, I guess my next step is a special insole. I'm not spending the money for orthotics. And I was unable to get flo's skates sharpened. :(

After breaking in boots Tuesday and in the aforementioned edge class Thursday, I had show rehearsal yesterday, this morning, and I've got it tomorrow and Monday. Adding in practice on Tuesday, I'll be at the rink 6 days in a row! And next Friday is dress rehearsal, and Saturday is the show. And my new skates won't be broken in and (the blades) permanently mounted in time to wear them at the show. Waaaah!:cry:

Mrs Redboots
07-27-2003, 08:24 AM
No lesson this morning, as it's the British Solo Dance Championships in Nottingham today, and our coaches, among others, were up there with their entrants. Just as well, really, because my back was and is killing me. I did do some work with Robert, but had to get off the ice after about 20 minutes to stretch out. After which I was able to get back on and skate a bit, mostly plain stroking, forward and backward. Tried to do back chasses, which were horrible solo, so I grabbed Robert and did a lap of them with him - they're fine with a partner!

mikawendy
07-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Velvet:
Worked on stroking and also consecutive forward edges (for Pre-Bronze Moves) in lesson and I heard my first "rip" on an edge, truly a rip rather than a scrape of a toe pick. HOW EXCITING!!! I went home and told my husband and tried to get him to understand why something like that would be so thrilling.

On Friday in show rehearsal, we finally worked out a big traffic problem and it's working much better right now. I just have to remind myself of where to put my shoulders (we're using props and it tends to distract me from where my shoulders need to be--e.g., on the circle during crossovers).

Barbed Wire:
Having trouble with the forward alternating 3 turns from Pre-Bronze moves. I can do each 3 turn (except LFI3), but what I can't figure out is how to stop two-footing it during the transition from one 3 turn to another. I think the rulebook says that a brief two-foot is okay for Pre-Bronze (not okay in Pre-Prelim), but I'd like to be able to skate it clean. I think my check after each 3 turn might not be strong enough.

Scheduling foul-up at the rink today meant that everyone had to miss some ice time. We showed up for show practice and it turned out to be cross-scheduled on the same ice as the freestyle session. While it was being sorted, the freestylers had to wait to get onto the ice. Then the show practice had to get off the ice. Then the hockey players lost some time because we were allowed to practice for 20 mins on their ice. I know these kind of foul-ups happen at every rink every once in a while but it was a bit annoying for everyone who showed up to skate this morning. Luckily everyone was civil and understanding about it. (The one plus is that I got to see some skaters working on Novice and Junior moves. They make it look so easy and just fly around the rink!)

Also took a dive sprawling onto my stomach and knees when I skated over a rut in the ice and had my weight too far forward to begin with.... but I'm not as bruised up as I thought I'd be.

Sk8Bunny
07-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Barbed wire:
My left ankle(the side i land my jumps on) has been killing me and i get sharp pain in it when i land jumps. then it gets so numb and throbbing with pain that i can hardly skate around the ice. i had a stress fracture about 7 months ago, wondering if that may be part of it....
I cant land a decent double lutz lately, or even a good 2 footed, or 1 footed under-rotated. i just totally lose it in the air and either fall or step out of it. i think it may have something to do with the ankle...

Velvet:
Despite my ankle problem, i landed the double flip this week. last weekend they were 1 footed but cheated, this weekend they are all the way around. i just need more speed going into it so i dont hop the landing. for some crazy reason, i can do really good double jumps from a complete standstill, but when i put a lot of speed into the jump, i fall all over the place. i have a ton of power behind my jumps, so i think thats why i do it better when im not moving. makes me wonder if i could ever do a triple jump from a complete standstill..... :lol:

quarkiki2
07-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Velvet? I think?

I say this tentatively because I'm still a little shocked myself... I passed out of Delta and am now a Freestyle 1 skater. (quarkiki pinches herself. Yep, I'm awake).

Although I'm still cheating my three turns by the *smallest* amounts, my instructor and the skate director didn't think it would be beneficial for me to repeat the Delta class and actually think that the back edges in Freestyle 1 will help the turns. I agree there -- I've always thought it strange that you learn turns in ISI before you learn edges.

So it's on to Freestyle this fall or in skate camp next month if I can scrape up the moolah.

I think the back edges will be the most difficult element from that level. I can do the pivots, the spiral, and have a 3-4 revolution two foot spin (though not consistent). I haven't tried a waltz jump away from the boards yet. Perhaps if I'm thinkng about the waltz jump instead of the three turn setup I'll be able to do the turn?

Oh, learned a waltz eight (which would be better if I had the three turn, grrr...). Mohawk is good though. And my lobes are even.

JDC1
07-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Mikawendy - I am working on pre-bronze too. :-) I have a tip on the forward alternating 3's that my coach told, it didn't compute, and then I saw a little jumping bean doing it. After you do the turn and your holding that edge make sure the arm in back of you is pushed back and slightly open and that will make the transition easier. I do them on one foot but my transition isn't as smooth as it could be but for me that means making the turn bigger and then I'd have time to "prep" my body and flow into the edge rather than having to turn my body.

Velvet - my back edges are SHOCKING me they have been so much bigger!! Particularly my back insides they used to be so tiny and it was ridiculous now they're actually on a nice fat lobe. For reasons I don't understand on Sunday I did the backspin 4 times, yep, and i rotated between 3-5 times each time. I worked more on my spirals and the new trick I saw a little one do, a RBO into a 3 turn into a RFI, fun and scary but the forward parts very tiny so I need to work on speed into it.

Barbed wire - nothing too horrible, had a heck of time getting a complete Dutch waltz pattern, i really think dance and free style should be separate. My bottom was hurting a tad from all the spirals I've been doing. Still can't keep my leg straight on my waltz jump but REALLY TRIED to do it and came closer.

CanAmSk8ter
07-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by quarkiki2

I've always thought it strange that you learn turns in ISI before you learn edges.

Me too. That's one of the things I really don't like about ISI. I did USFSA, and we learned crossovers along with forward edges in Basic 4, outside threes, mohawks, and back edges in Basic 5, and inside threes in Basic 6. I think that makes more sense.

I won't bother doing the whole week, but I competed on Saturday and had an excellent skate. There were three skaters in both of my groups and I placed second in Novice dance and third in Junior. I talked with a local judge afterward who was on my panel, and he said my novice dance looked "really, really nice" and my junior dances was "not bad" either, and that he can tell I've been wroking hard! Coming from him, that's incredibly high praise! That gave me the confidence boost I needed, since I compete both dances again this week.

luna_skater
07-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Velvet: WOOHHOOO!!! Back on the ice after a month hiatus (excluding two synchro practices). Got a start on all the Senior Bronze dances today. Initially, my coach thought we would probably just do the 14-step and the Tenfox, but I don't find either very challenging, so he decided to get me going on the European, too. I test all three in two weeks! 8O Special bonus of the day is that my three turns are getting better every time I get on the ice (they'd better be, if I plan on passing the European!!), and I feel much more confident about them.

Barbed Wire: My blades are in desperate need of a sharpening!

dbny
07-28-2003, 07:43 PM
Gary,
Sorry to hear your sciatica is acting up still! Maybe some R&R is just what you need.

How is everyone else doing? Gary? Dbny?

Pat

Sorry about the sciatica, Gary.

Congrats to sk8pics - keep up the good work!

I just came back from 3 weeks of camping during which I didn't skate at all. I usually do a lot of kayaking, canoeing, hiking, and swimming to balance the wicked meals & beer around the campfire, but this year we had so much rain that I'm sure I've gained at least 6 pounds. I'm not too worried though, because I know I can take it right off with the right diet and lots of skating and Nordic Track. I enjoyed the camping in spite of the wet weather, as I love just being on the lake and in the woods. We also have a lot of friends near where we camp, so the social life there is fun too.

JDC1
07-29-2003, 08:28 AM
VERY CROWDED and the ice was totally crappy.

Velvet - Okay, actually came closer to doing the backspin RIGHT and worked on a new entrance to the loop. I'm proud I've gotten over my fear of the loop now I have to figure out how to pick off of my toe pick correctly, it's not a strenght issue I have VERY strong legs as do most skaters. Alternating 3's were better and waltz jumps were much springier but the landings were a tad wild.

Barbed wire - figured out I did NOT do backspin over week-end, I was actually spinning forward on an inside edge. :-) Still happy that I was spinning with my leg partially crossed. Back and bottom sore from too many spirals, need to stretch.