View Full Version : Good skating book

Alexeiskate
07-21-2003, 10:10 AM
I was browsing the skating technique book that Nancy Kerrigan put out recently, and it has some really good tips for spins and jumps. I particulary like this tip on toe jumps: Pick your toe on the way up. I have never heard that tip from my past coaches before, but it does make sense. I think the reason why I often get stuck on the flip is that I would pick my toe first and then bring the rest of my upper body toward the picked-toe and then jump. Often my upper body just get stuck in the forward position, because the timing was too late, and I couldn't lift off.

The book also has a lot of great pictures demonstrating the techniques. For those of you who still think that a single jump is a full revolution off the ice, just take a look at the picture of Nancy's take-off position on the Salchow. I don't skate much anymore but still had to buy this book, because I found it informative and easy to understand. The only other skating book that I like is the Sport Illustrated one by John Misha Petrevick, which has pictures of Brian B demonstrating the techniques.

Raine
07-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Alexeiskate
For those of you who still think that a single jump is a full revolution off the ice, just take a look at the picture of Nancy's take-off position on the Salchow. I don't skate much anymore but still had to buy this book, because I found it informative and easy to understand. The only other skating book that I like is the Sport Illustrated one by John Misha Petrevick, which has pictures of Brian B demonstrating the techniques.

Interesting that you should mention Kerrigan's salchow. For the salchow, Petkevich in his book suggests before takeoff that you have your upper body turned 90 degrees in the direction you're jumping. I often forget to do this myself, but it makes the jump so much easier and of better quality.

Happy Skating,
Raine