View Full Version : How did you choose or get your partner?

FSWer
07-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Hey my friends. I don't want to be too personal her. But as a Skating fan I was just courious to ask this. But if you are an Ice-Dancer or Pair Skater, I was just wondering how everyone here got or chose their partners?

Mrs Redboots
07-19-2003, 05:58 AM
I married him. And for the first 20 years of our marriage, I couldn't get him on a dance floor for love nor money.....

pinkjellybean
07-19-2003, 10:12 AM
First our parents were close friends throughout university and remained so afterwards. My partner and I were good friends while growing up (took our first steps on the ice together) and we ended up skating together when we were a little older. Our coaches noticed we had good chemistry and unison from dance, just being on the ice together and from a part in our first carnival (probably as a result of all the time we spent together and being so comfotable around each other)... we would always practice together before we skated pairs together, we'd do jumps together etc...

Surprising to most people is that we really had to push to skate together. Our parents thought pairs skating was too dangerous. (heck my mom thought singles was bad enough).

Isabelle
07-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Usually your coach spreads the word around to other coaches that you're looking for a partner, and then if there's someone who's a possibility you have a tryout with them. You have to be of similar build and usually about the same skill level, etc.

skaternum
07-19-2003, 06:55 PM
He was the only available man in the area who was interested in pairs and over 25.

Andie
07-21-2003, 10:18 PM
I haven't got a partner - yet. But, I kind of want one, I'd be willing to do either pairs or dance....

Jillianioso
07-22-2003, 06:51 AM
I don't dance anymore... but when I did... I was asked by his dance coach to tryout with him...

Stella Errans
07-23-2003, 04:38 PM
This is a very strange but true story, my brother and I are twins who were seperated at birth and put in different foster homes, we both took a liking for skating at a young age. In 1998 we attented the same seminar without even knowing it!!! But two years ago we were reunited and started competing in Interpretive Couples Events, we are now champions in our category!

FSWer
07-23-2003, 05:23 PM
When you say interpretive couple...what exactly does that mean?

Stella Errans
07-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Interpretive Couple is the newest trend in figure skating and it is taking Canada by storm! It was formerly known as "Artistic" now it is Interpretive, and Interpretive Couples is like pairs doing extremly well choreographed programs without jumps.

Mme.PairChica
07-24-2003, 02:06 AM
i went to a pairs mix and match and the coaches there matched me up with the guy. if you're looking for a partner look around for mix and matches they often have many

mikawendy
07-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
I married him. And for the first 20 years of our marriage, I couldn't get him on a dance floor for love nor money.....

LOL, Annabel--this means there's hope yet for my hubby. I've only gotten him out on the ice once, and that was when I was barely beginning to skate. If I can get him on the ice again, I can teach him what I learned in a few dance lessons--I learned the killian hold, the Dutch waltz, and the waltz hold. (Note I say "learned" not "executed without assistance"--the instructor did the man's part for the dutch waltz and just about swept me around the rink with little assistance from me and my eensy little swing rolls)

Unless my husband wants to skate, paired dancing and pairs free skating are out for me--he's the only one I'd take the extra time aside from my singles element to skate with...

TashaKat
07-30-2003, 10:16 AM
His coach asked me if I'd skate with him (doing Ice Dance) ..... then she started coaching me as well! We eventually split up but it was good fun while it lasted. He's now skating with another lady at the rink and they look good together :)

Careygram
07-31-2003, 11:25 AM
We work at the same pharmaceutical company. We heard through the grapevine that the other skated and we thought it would be fun to do pairs. I had some pairs lessons in Lake Placid the previous adult week and talked him into it. We rotate in opposite directions but we still have fun.