View Full Version : Stupid things we do to ourselves

sk8er1964
07-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Yes - once again - I have done something stupid. So, I thought I'd share with you and see if anyone else has been as, well, not-quite-smart as me.

I went for a walk with my son today in the woods behind our house. I saw a huge, very healthy patch of poison ivy ahead of me. I'm wearing sandals and shorts. Did I stop and go back??? Noooo, not me :roll: .

So, by the time we get back home, which was only about 15 minutes later, my ankles are starting to itch. My mind screams "oh no, you can't skate with poison ivy!". I used dish soap to get off the oils, and Benadryl (sp) cream to cut the itch, but as I sit here my ankles are itching. I know I can't scratch - especially if I want to skate (lesson)tomorrow. Thankfully I don't skate barefoot :?? .

So, what do I say??? Sorry, Coach, I am an idiot. Sigh.......

Figureskates
07-17-2003, 10:02 PM
The other problem you might face is that your ankles will swell up as well. This may make it difficult to put your skates on. I have done the same thing and I could not fit into my skates for about 10 days.

MissIndigo
07-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Oh man. That has to be bad. I envision a wave of pink calamine or an oatmeal soak... >.<

What have I done stupid this week? Overexert my right hip so now it feels like somebody is stabbing it with a knife anytime I walk too fast or try to climb stairs. I have a lesson with the new coach this afternoon and I know I'm going to be in pain, and it will be 30 mintues of non-stop MITF.

Naproxen here I come.

CanAmSk8ter
07-18-2003, 03:01 PM
I tripped over my dad's briefcase two years ago and broke my little toe- three weeks before a competition. Luckily it was a Friday night, so I didn't have to put my skates on for 48 hours. My toe was so swollen I don't think I could have gotten the skate on before then.

About a month ago, I was walking around my room at night and walked into a chair, badly bruising the same toe. Luckily, it didn't break this time, but it did swell like crazy. The compression from my skate actually helped, I think, because I was on the ice the next morning and the longer I skated the less it hurt. It still hurts coccasionally. I just couldn't believe I had injured the same toe again. Take off the skates or the ballet slippers and I become a complete klutz :oops:

I have another one, too- a few months ago, I was working on the Paso, which I hadn't done in awhile. On the back change-edge, I tend to try and look over my left shoulder to make sure no one's behind me. Bad idea- that tends to steer you directly toward the wall, but it's scary not to because you're really completely blind behind you at that point. My coach is always telling me not to do it anyway. Well, I did, and it did steer me directly into the wall, finger-first. I jammed my index finger.

The reason this was stupid? I did it to make sure no one was behind me, but I was the only person on the ice.

skateflo
07-18-2003, 04:20 PM
sk8er1964 - we gardeners can help you with your poison ivy. Put your feet under the tub spout with the hottest water you can tolerate for at least a full minute. You will feel intense itch but then goes away. What it does is release all the histamine at once, then it takes about 8 hours to rebuild to bad itch level. And Ivy Dry creme is still the mainstay for most of us to dry up the lesions. Try it!

Stupid things - well I have a C6 cervical disc and degeneration in my aging spine. But the cement man is coming to give me a new front walkway and I had to get the large bluestone blocks and red bricks up and out. Used a special small pic ax I have, loaded 6 times into the wheelbarrow to take them to the backyard. Then I noticed one tree that really needing some brances loped off......so now my neck hurts, my upper arm aches awful, my fingers and toes are numb, I am waddling to walk a little, and my balance is a tad off at times. I don't dare skate in this condition as my employer already has made comments about skating and my back problems....Darn! I hope it all settles down for Monday's lesson - just that I won't have any practice between lessons and I sure hope coach doesn't ask or notice, due to my stupidity of doing things I know I really shouldn't be doing...

Sk8Bunny
07-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Well, as a non-skating related stupid thing, when I was 5 years old, my 10 year old sister thought it would be funny if she chased me around the house when all the lights were out in the hallway. Me, being scared out of my mind, attempted to run into my parents room, sadly, the hallway was dark and i didnt see that my parents bedroom door was shut. and being 5 years old, my mouth was the same height off the ground as the doorknob. I knocked out one of my front teeth, and i was bleeding all over the place. i have a false tooth now and u cant even tell its different, but oh my gosh, i was soooo mad at my sister after that. and to this day, i think she still feels a bit sorry, haha.
for a skating related stupid thing i have done, this past year my high school held an all-school picnic during the middle of the day. if any of you live in arizona, then you can imagine just how intense the sun is at 12 oclock noon. So i was standing in line for food with my friends for a whole hour(dont ask, long story), and i was wearing sandals, and after 45 minutes i was like 'whoa, why do my toes hurt so bad?'. yep, they were *so* sunburned. i had skating in a few hours and knew that if i stayed in the sun any longer my toes would be so burned that i wouldnt be able to get them into my skates and skate for that matter. but i have the best friends in the whole world, and them knowing i had practice afterschool, volunteered(i didnt even ask, they just did it!) to stand in a formation around me so that my toes where further blocked from the sunlight. i told them they didnt have to do that and they replied 'but your the skater, and we dont want you to not be able to practice today'. awww, i was so touched. anyways, i learned my lesson to never stand in the sun without socks.

Mrs Redboots
07-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Sk8Bunny
anyways, i learned my lesson to never stand in the sun without socks. Or sunscreen - I hope you had sunscreen on the rest of you, even if you did forget to put it on your feet!

JDC1
07-21-2003, 04:12 PM
I almost never wear heels and thursday I wore a pair of comfy high wedgy heels that unfortunately I twisted my ankle in (not too severe) and therefore couldn't skate until Sunday. No more heels.