View Full Version : Poll 2: Are you the same direction outside of the rink as in it?

mikawendy
07-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Do you skate the same "direction" that you do things outside of the rink?

That is, do you skate CW and are a lefty in other activities, OR skate CCW and are a righty, OR skate both ways and are a "both-y"?

TreSk8sAZ
07-16-2003, 10:38 PM
This is a great topic -- my coach and I were talking about this the other day. I'm completely ambidextrious off-ice (I can write, eat, drive, do just about anything with either hand). On-ice though, I'm completely CCW. I just can't get the feeling of CW.

TashaKat
07-17-2003, 02:30 AM
I'm just weird! I do different things different ways!

I do (did before breaking wrist :( ) acrobatics left handed, write right handed, play squash and tennis ambidextrious(ly??).

Skating wise I was taught to be a righty but after about 4 years was told that I should probably have been taught to skate as a lefty! I can jump both ways up to loop (but wimp out after that) and my backspin was always better as a lefty!!!

As I said, I'm just weird!

x

NickiT
07-17-2003, 07:59 AM
I'm very much a leftie but have always skated the same way as a rightie. I never even tried to jump the opposite direction though at one time I played around with my spins and found that I had potential to do them well on my right foot, but we stuck at the way I was used to. The only thing I do find easier is crossovers in a CW direction, but I think this has more to do with my twisted pelvis than my handedness!

Nicki

icenut84
07-17-2003, 08:09 AM
I'm also weird! My preferred direction on the ice is clockwise. I jump clockwise, prefer footwork clockwise (usually - depending on what day it is. Sometimes I prefer it anti-clockwise!) 2 foot spins - clockwise, definitely. 1 foot forward spins are better anti-clockwise. Backspins - I'm trying them both ways. I'm right handed, left footed, and do left handed cartwheels in gymnastics!

JDC1
07-17-2003, 11:57 AM
I am totally right side dominant. Typing has helped with my left hand and arm. Actually skating has developed my left leg too so slowly it's becoming less obvious but I injured my left leg twice and was on crutches.

kayskate
07-17-2003, 12:02 PM
I tried to post this before, but I must have made a mistake b/c it did not appear, so I apologize if it pops up twice.

I am ambidextrous usually, except I am very CW on the ice. It is odd that even when distance roller skating on a jogging path, I circle the path CW while nearly everyone else jogs, walks, or skates CCW. However, if I skate alone in an outdoor roller rink, I will do laps CCW following ice rink convention.

If someone calls my name from behind, I will turn around CW.

Kay

thumbyskates
07-17-2003, 01:10 PM
I do everything with my feet "lefty" and jump CW. Everything with my hands I do "righty". For example, naturally I kick with my left foot in soccer, but I'd rather throw a ball with my right hand...I also write right.

What's strange however...is that I took my Preliminary freeskate test jumping CCW. When I was smaller, I decided I wanted to be different and started jumping CW. My coach has always told me that it now looks "unnatural" for me to be jumping CW, but I can't jump worth anything CCW these days.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Kortney (who regrets switching directions...maybe I was the next Tara Lipinski ;) )

Alexeiskate
07-17-2003, 02:57 PM
I skate ccw. Outside of skating, sometimes I use the left hand, sometimes the right hand. For example, I use the left hand to hold eating utensils and scissors. I write with the right hand and also unscrew and screw stuffs with the right hand. I would consider myself mainly a right-hander though.

StarshineXavier
07-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Outside of skating, I'm left hand dominant. For skating, I'm right hand dominant, or should I say right foot dominant. :lol:

love2sk8
07-18-2003, 02:59 PM
I do everything with my right hand, and I also jump right...which is CCW...but when i do bauers and spread eagles, their the way that a lefty would jump! lol so it kinda messes me up for jumps from those 2 positions, like spread-2axel!

melanieuk
07-22-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm right handed and I jump clockwise.
mel x

Chico
07-23-2003, 10:44 PM
I'm right handed and skate clockwise. I do find that some skills feel better for a left handed skater. Spirals are one that pops to mind. I guess I'm a little bit of a weirdo anyhow because some skills that should be "easy" feel hard to me, and some that should be "hard" aren't. Go figure. My personal strengths and weaknesses I guess.

Chico