View Full Version : Bracknell Report, day 1. (Long)

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2002, 02:04 PM
I seem to be the first person home, so will start, but I expect the others who were there to chime in!

I think we all did very well by ourselves. Nicki T was the first to skate, and gratifyingly came 4th in her class. Batikat skated in her small group number, which was very funny indeed, and placed 2nd. She has more skating to do tomorrow, as do I.

I wasn't best pleased with how I skated - technically, I have never done it so well, it was much faster than usual and my spiral went quite high, and I felt it could have been higher. And I didn't stop so badly. The spin didn't come off. However, I felt afterwards that I could, and should, have made more of the artistic side of things, and acted harder - I didn't "skate out" quite as much as sometimes. Oh well. However, I was DELIGHTED to finish 8th out of 10, a great improvement on my normal placing!

Lynne was there, encouraging us all and being most gratifyingly polite about my skating! Mel's friends were there - there is a big contingent from Murrayfield, and we all agree she should have joined them, if only as a spectator! I have loads of friends who were there, three of whom are taking large cups home with them tonight!

Everything went extremely smoothly, and I think a good time was had by almost all. And tomorrow is the dance day.

kar5162
06-27-2002, 02:39 PM
Congratulations to Mrs Redboots, as well as NickiT and Batikat!

TashaKat
06-27-2002, 03:12 PM
[quote:42bd78a57d="Mrs Redboots"]I seem to be the first person home, so will start, but I expect the others who were there to chime in! .... Everything went extremely smoothly, and I think a good time was had by almost all. And tomorrow is the dance day.[/quote:42bd78a57d]

Yes! I've not been in long .......

Unfortunately I didn't see Nicki skate but, as Annabel said, she did rather well by coming 4th (out of 9 I think!). Annabel has improved enormously since I last saw her (about 2 years ago I think) and did a very creditable spiral (which I have on camera) not to mention those back cross cuts (or were they cross rolls?) ... whatever, she has obviously put a lot of time an effort into them. Her costume was fantastic, LOVED the boot covers and the choreography was well thought out. Gail's team number was great fun, unfortunately I hadn't actually identified Gail at that point so cannot comment on her, personally but the whole team did a great job and had a good skate with fabulous, fun costumes :)

On the whole it was a good day. The quality of skating and the difficulty has increased which is GREAT to see as Adult Free in the UK used to be pretty much unheard of. There were people trying doubles, axels and flying jumps, not to mention TWO Pairs couples! Everyone had obviously put a lot of thought and work into their programmes and I don't think anyone has cause to be unhappy .... ok, we often think that we could have done better but it really was a good day from the under Level 1 skaters upwards. It is so nice to see people progressing and that is what it's all about in the end.

Good luck to everyone for tomorrow :)

L x

NickiT
06-27-2002, 03:39 PM
:D It was definitely a great day for me. I felt totally elated to have done my programme to the best of my ability. I got every jump and spin and got the timing just right. Last year was a different story when my nerves tore me apart but I was determined to stay positive this year and it worked!! Coming 4th out of 9 is a real personal achievement and I can't describe how pleased I feel for placing so high. Also found out I only just missed the bronze. Mark wise, two of the three judges had me 3rd and the other one 4th, and apparently I was running 3rd right up till the last skater - so my friend who was in the results room told me!

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Annabel skate - she looked very good and her costume was great. She offered me a great deal of support and encouragement and gave me some wonderful compliments after my skate. Thanks Annabel.

It was also great to meet Lynne. Hope to see you in the next Bracknell Opens, Lynne!!

Batikat did well in her group artistic. That was so much fun to see as I have watched them rehearse that over the last few weeks and seeing the final thing complete with costumes was such a laugh. Congratulations to them all.

I'm completely shattered now. It's been a long day, but I feel on top of the world. Even more so since I could hardly walk yesterday after hurting my ankle the day before. So glad I persevered and didn't pull out.

Good luck to all you dancers who have more skating to do tomorrow. Can't wait to hear how you get on.

Nicki

Patsy
06-27-2002, 03:45 PM
Any chance of pictures?

SusanaO
06-27-2002, 03:54 PM
Congratulations to all of you!!! It sure sounds like a lot of fun. :D

jazzpants
06-28-2002, 12:28 AM
[size=18:c6779dcd8b][color=red:c6779dcd8b]Congrats to you, Mrs Redboot!!! YOU GO, GIRLFRIEND!!![/color:c6779dcd8b][/size:c6779dcd8b] :D :D :D

(Congrats to NickiT and Batikat too!!!) :D

Cheers,
jazzpants

NickiT
06-28-2002, 05:38 AM
The official photographer was there so we will get pictures in due course. Off course I'll post some when they come and I expect Annabel will too!!

Nicki

melanieuk
06-28-2002, 08:28 AM
Great to hear your positive comments.
I'd like to see some photos too.
What was the atmosphere like?
Was everyone friendly?
How bad were the nerves? NickyT says they weren't so bad for her this time around.

flo
06-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a geat time for skaters and spectators. Congratulations to all!

TashaKat
06-28-2002, 02:19 PM
[quote:42d571d760="melanieuk"]Great to hear your positive comments.
I'd like to see some photos too.
What was the atmosphere like?
Was everyone friendly?
[/quote:42d571d760]

I have some photos of Annabel and Irene (Mel's friend) but no others I'm afraid. I'll try and weedle some out of Pete if I can!! I won't be downloading them until tomorrow now and will put them on Yahoo UK skaters and Yahoo Rinksiders :)

The atmosphere was very good, it's certainly less 'hyped' than when there are kids competing too! There are, of course, the inevitables .... one of whom was (unintentionally) quite funny in the things that they were saying! The nice thing, certainly about Bracknell, is that you can go out there even if you can only do a few things and everyone will be really supportive to you. It's a great way to get into the competition circuit :)

I also managed to have a chat to Chris Howarth about the John Watts blades, they look pretty impressive AND are much, much cheaper than 'other makes'. He didn't have the 'Freedom' blade (the Michael Weiss one) but told me all about it .... it would have been nice to see one though :) I'll definitely think about getting these when I need new blades.

L x