View Full Version : It's good to be an adult skater.

Chico
07-12-2003, 12:00 AM
It's good to be an adult skater because...

It's good to be an adult skater because I don't have a skating mom from hell. Seriously, there is a mom at my rink that drives me nuts. She's forever shouting at her child, "YOU do .... and YOU do that." The other day in my noodle I thought, "YOU shut up."

Chico

jazzpants
07-12-2003, 01:45 AM
It's good to be an adult skater because... You have the support of your fellow adult skaters... You have control (well within reason) of your skating destiny. You can skate to more "grown up music!" :D You choose a coach based on the best interest of your own skating... ou don't have your coach talking to you as if s/he was "Mr. Rogers." (Instead you have your coach teasing and picking on you!) :P :lol: You can pick on HIM about HIS skating afterwards!!! :P You can go drinking with your coach after a skating competition to celebrate. (Well, I don't go drinking with my coach. I'm not a drinker and I don't know about him... But I know some coaches who go out drinking with their adult students to celebrate. And I've been at parties with my coach...) When you're too tired, your coach doesn't think that you're just wimping out. They take you seriously!!! :P (Then again, it didn't work for me last Thursday. He nudge me on to finish one of the moves pattern -- and I was going on about 5-6 hours of sleep. AUGH!!!)

NickiT
07-12-2003, 06:02 AM
It's good to be an adult skater because it means I'm skating because I WANT to, not because I HAVE to!!!!!

And another thing. I get the privilege to skate on late patch when all the kids have gone to school so have the rink to myself, and get to skate in the day when it's quiet too!!!

Nicki

MissIndigo
07-12-2003, 09:06 AM
It's good to be an adult skater because it "clicks". I understand way more about the proper mechanics of skating now than I did when I was a kid, and that makes me happy.

And, I pursue this sport for me, and only for me. It's a very private thing for me spiritually, but one I will share with others when they ask.

Black Sheep
07-12-2003, 09:15 AM
No stereotypes. Adult skaters come in all shapes, sizes, colors.....8-)

sk8er1964
07-12-2003, 07:00 PM
It is a great stress reliever in the middle of the work day
It gives you the opportunity to believe in yourself in a non-work atmosphere
You learn to be in tune with even the small parts of your body (of course, most of those small parts are aching :roll:!)
As adults, often we hear only the negative. It's a really warm feeling to hear your coach say "woo hoo" when you do something particularly well
You get to suprise the kids who think "adult" means "feeble" - ie "wow, she can do a scratch spin (or whatever)"
It's FUN and all the other adult skaters are fun, supportive, and generally as crazy about adult skating as you are!
You get to participate on this forum and actually understand what everyone is talking about because, at one time or another, you've probably been there or you will be there soon!

jazzpants
07-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
You get to suprise the kids who think "adult" means "feeble" - ie "wow, she can do a scratch spin (or whatever)"Kids?!?!?! Try the parents of the little ones who tell 'ya "Geez, you're brave!!!" when they find out you're about as old as they are and spinning along with their kid!!! :P :lol:

I'll add one more to this list... my ex-boss and my hubby both said "Aren't you a bit too old to be figure skating?" Should this be a "kid's sport?" :roll: My ex-boss hasn't seen me skate, but my hubby took back the comment about being too old to skate after seeing me spin (in his rare visits to see me skate...) BTW: Hubby hasn't seen me skate in about 2.5 years, so if what he saw was good, he ain't seen nothing yet. :P :twisted:

1lutz2klutz
07-12-2003, 09:04 PM
I love the support we give each other as adults. We KNOW there's no chance of us skating in the Olympics, and just the idea of completing our program without needing supplemental oxygen is enough to keep us coming back! And we understand that it's harder to learn things as an adult so we cheer ourselves and each other along for every little hard earned gain. There's less competition (so how long did it take YOU to land that jump?)- there's more encouragement (you'll land it soon! or you're getting a better takeoff!)

singerskates
07-13-2003, 12:29 AM
It's good to be an adult skater because....

You can be a role model for the kids who are skating on the same ice as you. You can show them that skating doesn't have to end at 18. That competing doesn't have to end at 18 if they haven't made it into the regular competitive stream in seniors. You can show the kid skaters that skating is a passion that comes from within which doesn't die just because of age.

You can have a decent conversation with your coach about life, unlike the kids who can't relate to their coach's lives.

You can drive yourself to competitions. You can plan when and if you wish to compete and don't have to rely on mom and dad.

You get to pick out your own skates, blades, dresses (for the guys pants and shirts) and music.

You can edit, remaster and burn your own skating programs.

You can stay out late after a competition to hang with your competition buddies.

You can choreograph some or all of your programs yourself.

*You can be true to yourself.*

Brigitte

kayskate
07-13-2003, 07:37 AM
It's good to be an adult skater b/c:

You really appreciate the opportunity you have given yourself.

You do not *have* to do anything. You choose what you what to learn and do so at your own pace w/o pressure.

You can skate for fun and only for fun.

The only competition is w/ yourself and you don't have to go to an organized event to compete against yourself.

You make great friends at the rink.

You get/stay in shape.

There are certainly many other reasons...

Kay

dooobedooo
07-13-2003, 08:57 AM
It's good to be an adult skater because ....

It sure beats being an adult "couch potato"!

Aussie Willy
07-14-2003, 05:19 AM
You can hang as much dirt on your coach as they hang on you eg "gee you have never told me that before" (after being told for the 100th time).

My dance coach is shorter than me so she makes a really good arm rest!

quarkiki2
07-14-2003, 09:17 AM
It's good being an adult skater because...

I've been living in my body for 30 years and am more in tune with it than the kids. Although I may not be able to perform a skill, I can still look half-way decent trying because I have better body control and am less floppy than the kids I skate with.

I can say to my instructors "OK. I understand the pattern, but the message isn't getting to my feet. I will, but probably not today." And they accept it as true -- there's clear evindence that I understand the moves, just can't quite perform them.

I understand the value of a good warm up and cool down. Because I haven't lost my flexibility or extension from the years of ballet, I can pull off some amazing stretches. And a Sasha Cohen spiral (in my sneakers, LOL!)

No one will reprimand me if I take a break from practice and joke with my buddies. They're adults, too!

Terri C
07-14-2003, 07:14 PM
It's good being a adult skater because....

1. You buy the dress one time and that's it- you don't have to worry about outgrowing it!

2. Your skates will only break down, you won't out grow them!

3. Parents comment to you at competition "I don't know how you do it, I get nervous when my child skates!"

4. You set your own goals and determine your own practice schedule and routine-no Mom or Dad to tell you what to do!

5. My explaination for any adult that thinks skating is just for kids:

Some adults play softball, some play golf, or tennis or do aerobics! I chose to skate!