View Full Version : competition vs. test dresses?

pennybeagle
07-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Okay, this may be a silly question, but what kind of outfits do adults wear at competitions? I currently own two dresses, one black, one purple. The purple one has a sheer skirt with some silver detailing, and I was hoping that it would be okay for competitions. I have worn both dresses at test sessions.

I'm just a bit worried since the younger skaters at my rink seem to have these fancy outfits with beads and things that I am sure that I can't afford right now.

I have never seen an adult competition, so I don't know what to expect. How much fancier should competition dresses be?

TreSk8sAZ
07-09-2003, 09:51 PM
At the competitions I've been to, I've seen anything and everything. As long as the dress is tasteful and looks good on you, then it does not need that much decoration and such. I actually have a blue velvet, sleeveless dress that only has a small starburst pattern of clear crystals on the front (it was my coach's) that we have both used for competition and testing, and it's not fancy at all! Whatever you are comfortable in, look good in, and most importantly SKATE WELL in is what you should wear!

dooobedooo
07-10-2003, 04:09 AM
Wear something that you feel really comfortable in, in a colour which really looks good, and in a style which does not restrict movement. I know a couple of people who have done very well at competitions, just wearing a plain black dress.

However, it is very important that you look well-groomed - think about your hair, makeup (can be discreet but elegant), tights (must be perfect condition), boots (if they show, must be sparkly clean with clean laces) and warm-up jacket/cardie (should be clean and presentable).

If you want to "posh up" a plain dress, have a look in the haberdashery department of a chain store - they often sell large sew-on glittery embroidered or beaded motifs that you could attach to your corsage. It sounds as though if you can find something in purple/silver, this would look attractive on one of your dresses. However, I don't think you *have* to do this.

MissIndigo
07-10-2003, 09:54 AM
A solid-color, well-cut dress that fits you well can speak volumes, and it can be free of decoration. Personally, I don't like to have too much glitz on my dresses, concentrating instead on color contrasts and fabirc contrasts. For example, I have this beautiful red sleeveless dress with a wrap A-line skirt that is appropriate for anytime. At where the skirt wraps to join the main body of the dress, I sewed a small flower wtih a rhinestone in the center of it, and that's enough glitz for me. I concentrated more on making my hairstyle neat and polished, and you can always add a dressy, tasteful accessory to your hair that will dress up your skating dress of choice!

I also have a lovely long-sleeve dress in black that has a glitter velvet bodice and chiffon hankerchief skirt. This didn't need much more either since the body is so shiny. I had some teardrop crystals put on the points of the skirt, and it looks great. This one I do wear exclusively for competition.

Think about the nature of your event too--for compulsories, footwork, or spin events, I have seen more toned-down but still stylish dresses. As these are more technical events, your outfit does not necessarily need to reflect the character of the elements, in contrast to a free skating program.

Mrs Redboots
07-10-2003, 10:55 AM
If you like your dress, and it suits you, then wear it and have fun! People compete in anything, from leotards and practice-skirts right through to the ritziest of dresses. I know at least two people who start from a plain leotard and then wear a glitzy shawl pinned round their shoulders and another round their waists as a skirt - it sounds weird, but it really works for both skaters!

The judges, after all, are going to look at how you skate, not what you wear! Speaking personally, I prefer a plain dress that I can tart up with costume jewellery and have a slightly different "look" each time, but other people like lots of embroidery or sequins on their dresses. It's all a matter of taste..... I just wish I'd realised earlier how little the "autumn flowers" outfit of mine, that I love, does for me.....

vesperholly
07-10-2003, 05:22 PM
I always test in plain dresses with 3/4 or long sleeves. For dance I try to wear dresses with flowy-type skirts but not too long. I don't want to have to worry about unduly influencing the judges during my test. :D

For competition, I have worn everything from a plain test dress to a really spangly dress. I would wear any kind of fancy dress as long as it was stylish and made me feel pretty.

Jocelyn

Black Sheep
07-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Anybody besides me ever see little kids wearing really fancy rhinestone competition-type dresses to practice in, sometimes even in rental skates? Kinda funny and cute. :lol:

jenlyon60
07-10-2003, 06:41 PM
I practice in leggings/t-shirt/ratty polar fleece

I test in the same dresses I compete in...and most of them have some glitz. I recently splurged and bought a couple of made-to-order dresses from Figureskatewear.com... not cheap but they fit properly. One is a gorgeous rust & metallic lurex, the other (not yet complete) has a peach skirt and a black stretch lace bodice with camisole-style straps.

I have a couple other rack dresses that I've doctored up with rhinestones. I like doing crafty stuff so I have fun decorating my competition/test dresses myself...

--jsl

pennybeagle
07-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks everyone!

Okay, new question--what do people usually do with their hair?

Really, I'm usually not this concerned about fashion--I just don't want to arrive at the competition and feel out of place. I will have enough to worry about with my program :??

Arsenette
07-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Away from your face if at all possible. Some people could care less if their hair is in their face (especially if it's too short to pull back but to long to be considered short) but if you can put it up - Merry Christmas ;)

I agree with everyone - whatever is comfortable but looks "groomed" as if you want to show that you care for your appearance. Some go overboard and glitter everything down to their toenails but so long as you look decent and your hair will survive the program :twisted: you should be just fine. Feel free to plaster your hair in layers of hairspray if it doesn't cooperate (like mine - I'm wisp city!!!! 8O ).

Stormy
07-10-2003, 08:59 PM
I always test (Moves) in my "lucky" Del Arbour pink and purple dress. Fits me perfectly, and I can wear a bra with it, which I really like.
For competitions, I've usually worn something fancier with sequins or crystals on it. They've always been dresses I've bought or borrowed from friends, though, and some have fit better than others! Definitely wear a dress that fits well everywhere! You don't want to have to think about wedgies when you're in the middle of your program. 8O

MissIndigo
07-10-2003, 11:03 PM
I have medium-long hair that is easily put into a sleek ponytail if I want something simple, or I twist my hair, pull it up, and secure it with a clip that matches my hair color (brownish). The extra hair falls over the clip, I put the curling iron to it, tease it a bit, and spray lightly to keep it in place. With this style the hair is away from my face, save for a few wispy strands around my face that didn't make it to the clip. Sometimes I stick a decorative comb into my hair, where the little "pouf" meets my head, for a little something extra. I like subtle, decorative flowers for this purpose.

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
Anybody besides me ever see little kids wearing really fancy rhinestone competition-type dresses to practice in, sometimes even in rental skates? Kinda funny and cute. :lol: I haven't seen them do it in hired skates, but I've certainly seen children "get some wear" out of their competition dress at the end of the season, when they are about to outgrow the dress. Mum earmarks it to be worn at practice so that at least they get some time in it.

And, of course, any sensible skater wears their outfit at least once before testing or competing in it, whatever age they are!

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by pennybeagle
Thanks everyone!

Okay, new question--what do people usually do with their hair?
If I'd seen that one before my last post.... I always make sure my hair is long enough to "put up" in a Stylee comb (http://www.stylee.com), which is tidy and suits me. I have a variety in different colours. Sometimes, just to ring the changes, I wear a hairpiece, just because....

And in the UK, at any rate, it's fashionable to spray your hair with a glitter spray before going on the ice although, as one friend commented, it's great for the first ten minutes and then looks like a bad case of dandruff! And you wouldn't believe how hard it is to brush out before bed!

The other thing, pennybeagle, is that many people here put on very heavy make-up, practically theatrical. This is so you don't look washed-out, but it's also fun and part of the preparation and, let's face it, how often do you get a chance to really go over-the-top with make-up these days? I have invested in some sparkly face-powder which goes on top of your ordinary make-up (it's great fun, you could even use it in your cleavage if you had that type of dress). Again, some folk put lots of glitter sparkles all over, but the last time I tried that (it was glitter in a gel matrix), my rather sensitive skin did not like it! Ah well....