View Full Version : Ask any question- skaters' version

Pages : [1] 2

CanAmSk8ter
07-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Here's how this works. We do this on the Non-Skating Discussions board. One poster asks any question they want, about anything. The next poster answers it, and asks a question of their own. I thought it would be fun to start a skating-related version here. Feel free to join in on the NSD board as well.

I'll start: How old were you the first time you put on skates (figure, hockey, roller, whatever)?

sk8er1964
07-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Good idea! I was around 6 years old.

If you could have a magic wand for a day, and could chose to do just one element to see what it feels like, what would you chose to do? (For example, I'd choose a quad salchow).

icenut84
07-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Ooh, difficult! I'd choose a death drop-back sit spin. :) A really big, flying one.

If you could perform any element as well as any skater in the world, who and what would you choose? (For me - Sasha Cohen and the layback. I'd love to be able to do that.)

Suzanne
07-09-2003, 04:55 PM
I'd pick footwork a la Kurt Browning!

If you could skate to ANY music, what would you pick?

Black Sheep
07-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Suzanne
If you could skate to ANY music, what would you pick?

The Electric Company. Actually, I could skate to it right now--like, for a show audition or something--but I'm afraid I'd look silly....

What color is your favorite skating dress/costume?
8-)

Clarice
07-09-2003, 07:37 PM
My favorite dress that I own is purple, but I've always wanted something in midnight blue.

What's your favorite dress you've seen on an eligible skater? I'm partial to just about anything Angela Nikodinov has worn.

Stormy
07-09-2003, 08:14 PM
I enjoy pretty much anything Amber Corwin wears. As for a favorite...I guess I don't have one. :)

What size are your skates?

96.23??
07-09-2003, 08:19 PM
i think 4 1/2?

Do you prefer spins or jumps?

sk8er1964
07-09-2003, 08:36 PM
Oh, I think my preferance is for jumps -- jumps -- and jumps. Spins are ok, as long as they're flying ones ;) !

What's the earliest time in the morning that you would skate?

MissIndigo
07-09-2003, 08:40 PM
7 AM. Even then I am afraid I would still be a zombie.

Do you like the feel of soft ice or harder ice best?

CanAmSk8ter
07-09-2003, 08:47 PM
LOL, I've practiced on a regular basis at 5:30am. Once I did publicity with a news station for a show at my rink- that day I had to be there at at 4:30am!

Hmmm... I don't know. I think my edges get deeper on soft ice, but I know I move faster on hard ice. As long as it's been resurfaced well, I guess I don't really care.

How many hours would you drive to a competition, assuming that flying is not an option?

Figureskates
07-09-2003, 08:56 PM
How about 5 hours? Tomorrow?

Headed for Lake Placid in the morning to help out at the Free skate competition.

If you had the chance, what one thing would you do over differently?

TashaKat
07-10-2003, 02:31 AM
Start skating 27 years before I did and not give up when I did first start skating because of an EX boyfriend!!!!

Dance, Free, Pairs or Synchro?

jazzpants
07-10-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by TashaKat
Dance, Free, Pairs or Synchro?
Free... my edges sucked too much for dance, too scared to try pairs (though my coach has been a pair skater before...) and I don't think there's an adult synch team where I live that I know of, nor do I know whether my skating is good enough for the synch team stuff. :P

Do you normally skate on Public, Freestyle, Dance or Adults only/Coffee Club session?

icenut84
07-10-2003, 06:33 AM
I've only ever skated on public sessions (apart from group lessons which were the half hour before), but yesterday skated on my first ever "practice ice" session, and plan to continue! I think you can do either dance or freestyle on there, not just one of them. As far as I know, anyway.

(Inspired by TaskaKat's gorgeous purple Harlicks) If you could have boots in any colour in the world, which would you choose?

lilpairsk8ter
07-10-2003, 08:52 AM
If i could have any color boots i would have light pink Custom Halicks cause pink is my favorite color and i love my custom white Harlicks.

If you had the chance would you join an ice show and if you did which one would you join?

TashaKat
07-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Yeah, love to ..... if I was a lot younger, a lot smaller and could skate better ;)

I would have liked to have skated in Robin Cousin's Ice Show or John Curry's company ..... but otherwise probably Holiday on Ice

Figure Skating is a sport ...... yes or no?

Mrs Redboots
07-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Of course it is!

What do you wear for practice?

quarkiki2
07-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Tights, leggings, long-sleeved T-Shirt, undies, a bra, skates and sometimes gloves.

Mohawks or 3 turns? (Mohawks any day for me!)

Stormy
07-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Mohawks for me, too!

What move have you mastered that you're most proud of?

eliao
07-10-2003, 12:13 PM
The forward catch foot camel. I've been able to hold it for many revolutions and control the check out.

Which skater inspired you to strap on your first pair of ice skates? (For me, it was Katarina Witt 1984).

sk8er1964
07-10-2003, 12:18 PM
My mom, a former competitve roller skater. As a 12 year old, though, I was definately inspired by Dorothy Hammil in '76!

What is your most frustrating element?

luna_skater
07-10-2003, 12:21 PM
No one, really. I first started skating because my class at school had a trip planned to the rink when I was in grade 1, and I didn't know how! So, it was just one of those things my mom enrolled me in, like taking swimming lessons, so I'd be able to do it if I had to. :D But the skater who has been most inspiring to me over the years is Elvis.

What has been your proudest skating moment?

luna_skater
07-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Whoops, guess we posted at the same time!

My most frustrating element is currently three-turns. So basic, but I'm a perfectionist, and I've never felt totally comfortable with them. And spins as well, just because I've been doing synchro for so long that my spins are virtually non-existent, so it's really hard for me when my coach puts them in the program.

I'll keep my question the same...what's your proudest skating moment?

CanAmSk8ter
07-10-2003, 02:25 PM
My initial round last year at Lake Placid. It was the first time I ever came off the ice feeling so good about how I skated that I told my mom I didn't care about my scores- I was going to Ben and Jerry's! I came back a couple hours later to find that I had placed twelfth (out of fourteen) and was torn between feeling ecstatic to have beaten two people and disappointed, as my coach and I had hoped for me to be in the top 10. Ecstasy won out, as I figred that with a good second round I could pull up to tenth. (I didn't).

If you could have one lesson with any coach in the sport, who would you choose?

Mel On Ice
07-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Tarasova

What do you like to watch more, competitions or ice shows?

Stormy
07-10-2003, 09:04 PM
COMPETITIONS! Ice shows, especially after paying (usually) big bucks to get in, are usually dissapointing. I hadn't gone to a show in years, but last year's COI my friend got me a ticket free so I went.

What was your best competition ever?

luna_skater
07-11-2003, 12:57 AM
Results-wise, this past Nationals, where my synchro team won the second freeskate, and finished second over-all. Team-wise, two years ago where my synchro team had one of those perfect, amazing skates where everything was right on, we came off the ice in tears because it was our last skate together, and we moved up to finish in the top 5. I've had two personal best synchro-competitions where I just performed like there was no tomorrow, and felt like I couldn't put a foot wrong even if I tried: once was our short program to the music from "Rainman" at a competition in 1999, and the other time was a competition this past season to music from "The Godfather."

What's the ugliest skating dress you've ever worn?

TashaKat
07-11-2003, 02:35 AM
I don't wear ugly skating dresses ;)

Erm ..... it would have to be this thing I wore for one of my first competitions! The leotard bit of it was beautiful, red and black velvet BUT the skirt made my hips look the size of a zamboni :( The skirt was two pieces of georgette, the top piece black, the bottom red ....... yak!

Wedgie or acres of illusion fabric ..... which is the biggest skating fashion crime?

Clarice
07-11-2003, 06:09 AM
Wedgies, definitely! While I'm not a big fan of the nearly-naked look, at least it "is" possible to use lots of illusion fabric tastefully. There's no such thing as a tasteful wedgie!

How much padding do you use inside your skates? I'm likely one of Bunga Pads' biggest customers - I always use ankle sleeves (pulled low over my heel), gel pads on my ankle bones and on the front of my ankle, and toe pads on my 4th toes.

spicyicey
07-11-2003, 06:23 AM
I don't use any padding inside my skates. The only time I had to was when I got a compressed nerve near my ankle, so I cut up a shoe insert to make a donut-shaped pad. I can't think of anyone else that doesn't use some form of bunga pads inside their skates - so many skaters have them! They must do an incredible business.

Now, how much crash padding do you wear when you skate?
- I wear a small pad on my hip all the time (it's where I always fall), and then I put in 2 larger ones when I work on double axels.

icenut84
07-11-2003, 07:50 AM
I never wear any crash padding - I'm not working on the jumps where you need it, and I rarely fall when skating anyway.

Which competition from years past (recent or not) do you re-watch most often? I'd say 2001 Worlds.

luna_skater
07-11-2003, 07:11 PM
1996 Worlds. Specifically, Elvis' long, Michelle's long, and Shae and Vic's free dance.

Do you wear gloves when skating?

CanAmSk8ter
07-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Usually. Sometimes I take them off when I'm partnering if I'm having trouble with a change of hold or something.

Have you ever done figures?

Ice T
07-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Yes, but not when they were around competitively. My coach is a HUGE supporter of figures, having done them all his life for HOURS a day. So I had him teach me the basics to help with my edges and turns while learning the Moves in the Field. I practice them every so often and sometimes we work on them in my lessons. They have helped me tremendously!

What's your favorite style of music to skate to? (Mine is jazz!)

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2003, 06:18 AM
For practice, my favourite "background" music is middle-of-the-road; dance music is dance music is dance music, I'm afraid!

Do you enjoy learning/dancing compulsory dances?

icenut84
07-12-2003, 07:58 AM
I haven't done dance properly for nearly 4 months (since my old rink closed) but plan to start up again next week (hopefully). Yeah, I loved doing compulsory dances (as long as I didn't have to dodge too many people, lol). I especially liked doing them on the dance intervals - sometimes there were only a couple of us doing the dance, and it felt great to skate in front of people, I felt like a *proper* skater, and it felt like a great opportunity to show people what I could do. :) My favourite trick was to skate them with my hands clasped behind my back, which really makes you use all the parts of your body and your edges properly and is great for improving your balance and really getting those shoulders etc in the right positions.

Would you ever consider becoming a coach in the future?

Black Sheep
07-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
Would you ever consider becoming a coach in the future?

As a seasonal instructor at my local seasonal rink, I don't have enough experience as of yet, but when I can find time and a place to teach in the summer, I might work towards becoming a private coach after that.

What music are you tired of hearing over and over in skating programs (i.e., what do you think is overplayed)? 8-)

flying~camel
07-12-2003, 12:32 PM
I think music from Beauty and Beast is a bit overdone. For example, there are 2 people in my club skating to music from B&B!

What is the worst ice show theme you've ever had to skate as a part of? For example, mine is "Saving the Future For Our Children" - let's just say it didn't work so well... ;)

sk8er1964
07-12-2003, 06:47 PM
My mom was the skating director when I was a kid - most of her shows were really great. One of the best ones was magic carpet ride (a song from the 70's) where the first group (mine, actually) was dressed in a harem costume, then soloist harem girls would fly on a magic carpet around the world, checking in on the group numbers and other solos (I did China).

In one show, though, she blew it. I don't remember the theme at all, but I do remember being stuck skating my solo as Mother Goose, with the little learn to skate kids. (Ok, maybe the show itself was ok, but I sure did hate that solo!)

How many hours can you skate in one day before you drop of exhaustion?

CanAmSk8ter
07-12-2003, 07:01 PM
I've been known to do 5 or 6 at training camps and stuff. 3 is pretty much the most I can do on a regular basis.

What does your favorite skating outfit look like?

TreSk8sAZ
07-12-2003, 07:17 PM
I have two, actually. One has navy and green diamond patterns with the same color sparkles, interlaced with yellow sparkle lines on the bodice and long sleeves, with a V back, and it has a plain blue velvet skirt. (Hard to describe, but it's really cute!)

My other favorite is my testing dress. My coach is letting me borrow it for an extended period of time. It was the dress that she did her last test in and was passed on to me for my tests. It's a simple blue velvet, sleeveless, racerback dress with a small sunburst pattern of clear crystals on the front. It's my favorite not because of looks, but because of sentimental value!

What move is your personal nemesis?

roogu
07-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Any type of combination with a double toe on the end ...... i just can't seem to pick right for the second jump. Ask me to do any combo with a double loop on the end, I'm fine .... the toe, forget about it! Go figure!

Erm ..... what skate order would you prefer to skate in?

Stormy
07-12-2003, 07:33 PM
First after warm up. It's the order I usually do get since I'm not usually in a big group. Plus, I hate waiting after warm up...more time to get nervous!

What's the farthest you've traveled for skating? My farthest was to Atlanta (several times) for Peach Classic.

CanAmSk8ter
07-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Atlanta for me too- two and a half hour flight. Syracuse and Lake Placid would be ties for second with a five-hour drive.

Wouldn't you know, I thought of a really good question earlier and I can't think of it now.

If you could have your pick of any current eligible or pro skater as a pair/dance partner, who would you choose?

sk8er1964
07-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Charlie Butler, because I've met him several times and he seems to be a really nice person. If not him, then Ben of the B & A fame because he looks like he has a lot of fun skating. The weirdest thing about this answer is that I don't really like dance 8O .

Can you rank the skating types from your most favorite to least? (ie, for me, freestyle, mifs, synchro (the last time I did it it was called "precision"), dance, pairs, figures.

Stormy
07-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Freestyle, Synchro, Moves. I've never done dance, pairs or figures, but I really want to start dance lessons in the fall. :)

What's the worst dress you've seen on a skater (eligible or pro)?

Black Sheep
07-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Stormy
What's the worst dress you've seen on a skater (eligible or pro)?

The dress I picked out for my Perfect Strangers ISI Artistic program three years ago. Goregous colors--pink, purple, and lavender all tye-dyed together--but it had this high skirt that went all the way up to my chest, so it made me look pregnant! 8O

Does your club/rink have a website? 8-)

jazzpants
07-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Yeap!
Yerba Buena Ice Skating Center (http://www.skatebowl.com)

...and it is a beautiful rink to be in!!! :D

How many skating rinks are within 50 miles radius of your home? I have about a half dozen rinks (maybe even more???) within the 50 mile radius...

MissIndigo
07-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Within a 50-mile radius, only one year-round. :(

The rink in my city is open only during the winter, so from Oct-April, that would make two.

But I am in the South...so...

jazzpants
07-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Hey, MissIndigo! You forgot your "skating question???" :P

The Ice Demon
07-14-2003, 05:25 PM
When you get off the ice after training do you have a favourite move that you do last thing?

Eg
One girl always does fo spiral last thing.
I do hydroblade-spiral-split-flip-sit spin combo

Stormy
07-14-2003, 07:19 PM
Nope. Usually by the time I'm done I'm tired and just happy to be getting off! :)

What brand of water do you like to take on the ice with you? I'm partial to Aquafina or Dasani.

CanAmSk8ter
07-14-2003, 08:14 PM
I like Fruit 2O or Propel. I got spoiled and now I don't like plain old bottled water.

If you could have anyone in the world choreograph a program for you, who would you pick?

Stormy
07-14-2003, 08:37 PM
Sandra Bezic!!! I've always loved her chorography.

Ummm...I'm running out of questions...OH, I know! What color are your blade guards? Mine are sparkly pink.

Skatingsarah
07-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Mine are pink and Purple and stretched out!

If you could chose any skater pro or amateur (dance, singles and pairs) who's presentation would you most want to have?

Black Sheep
07-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Sasha Cohen, for incredible flexibility!

Do you like jumping on the harness or not? 8-)

sk8er1964
07-14-2003, 10:21 PM
I haven't quite decided yet. I've only been in it a couple of times - I think it's kind of weird.

Have you ever worked with any national and/or world ranked skaters?

Mrs Redboots
07-15-2003, 07:19 AM
National-level, yes; world-level, not yet!

How many times each week do you skate?

TreSk8sAZ
07-15-2003, 11:18 AM
I usually skate 4 times a week, 5-6 times when a competition is a week or two away.

All right, simply because I just did this (stupid broken wrist)--

What is the worst injury that you've ever gotten while skating?

icenut84
07-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Bruises! 8-) I guess I've been very lucky so far :)

Have you ever been to see the Europeans/Worlds/Olympics live? (I would LOVE to one day)

luna_skater
07-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Not yet, but I plan to go to 2006 Worlds in Calgary, and the 2010 Olys if I'm lucky!!

Do you have a "signature" move?

flo
07-15-2003, 03:14 PM
I do a back spiral then look back at my free leg, rotate my hip and get on a deep outside edge until I am facing my free leg (still skating backwards).

Are you right or left eye dominant, and is that the direction in which you rotate?

dani
07-15-2003, 06:20 PM
I am not sure which eye is dormant - I am thinking right because if I were going to squint an eye it would be that one. I am very right handed and for most things I go in the "normal" direction. Other things, such as hockey stops, I can only do in the wrong direction. I am very right legged too.

Which do you think is easier - Roller or ice?

96.23??
07-15-2003, 06:26 PM
ICE! i cant roller skate at all!!!!!!!! :S

Who do you think is the best skater overall... artistic wise and technique wise.. For me.. I think m.k. orr kurt browning! :)

Mrs Redboots
07-16-2003, 06:02 AM
I don't see enough of them to be able to judge, so I'll say Yagudin, because he is a friend of a friend! Nothing like name-dropping.... :)

Are you a clockwise or anti-clockwise skater?

dani
07-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Counter-clockwise - I am very right handed. However things like my 8 step mohawk are very strong in both directions, so skating I can do either way but elements very much "normal" direction.

Ok, a decision we US adults have to make for our first freestyle test:

Lunge or Spiral

Hugs!
Danielle

icenut84
07-16-2003, 06:42 AM
Clockwise is my natural direction. I jump clockwise, and feel more comfortable (on the whole) doing footwork etc travelling clockwise, but I'm actually better at spinning anti-clockwise (probably just because I'm left-footed). Apart from the 2 foot spin and the backspin, which are better clockwise. (I'm just confused ;) )

Tell me something unusual about your skating.

icenut84
07-16-2003, 06:43 AM
Oops! I think me and Dani posted at the same time. :) Ok - in answer to her question, I'd say spiral, no doubt. I'll keep my question the same

tidesong
07-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Hmmm... I am good at ripping (trying to rip) off moves by the skating greats... :evil: tried MK change edge spiral and sasha's I-spin... And I still haven't gotten my crossovers proper yet after 3 years of skating

Whats your worst skating fear?

CanAmSk8ter
07-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Not being able to anymore!

What is the most important thing your coach has taught you? (Either a past coach or current coach).

Raine
07-16-2003, 10:47 AM
The most important thing my coach has taught me is that it's important to keep practicing through those fallow times in your skating when it doesn't seem like you're learning anything--and the lutz!

Which "easy" move should you (at your current level of skating) be able to do that you can't do? Mine is the lunge.

Happy skating,
Raine

skaternum
07-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Mazurka! I think I lack the chromosome needed to execute one successfully. I didn't learn one when I first started skating. Now several years later, I still don't know how. Three different coaches have tried to teach me. :oops:

What is the best fundraiser your club has had?

Mrs Redboots
07-17-2003, 08:41 AM
Last Red Nose Day, we got sponsorship from the company that owns the rink AND the company that manages it for every person paying to attend the Junior Disco; the Action Group gave money for every person wearing red; and we did face painting and hair painting for money, too. Then everybody got on the ice and we made a "chain" of nearly 100 people.... it was great. I went round with buckets to all the mums and dads - and all our crowd, too. I forget how much we raised, but it was a drop in the bucket of the £65,000,000 raised nationally! All the same, it was great fun, except I knew my skin wouldn't like being painted and, sure enough, it didn't!

What is your "signature move" that you wouldn't dream of not putting in your programme?

LWalsh
07-17-2003, 10:30 AM
The attitude spin. This is about the only move that just comes really easy to me.

What is your hardest move?

sk8er1964
07-17-2003, 12:27 PM
My hardest move (technically) that I can do well and consistently would be either the axel or the flying camel.

The move that I have the hardest time doing, however, would have to be the back outside brackets in the Intermediate MIF's.

Anyone ever do figures?

LoopLoop
07-17-2003, 01:17 PM
No figures, but my moves coach says I would have been good at them!

What element is easy for you that most people find hard? (Example, I could do a spread eagle the first time I tried one)

Black Sheep
07-17-2003, 01:19 PM
For me, a looooow hydroblade which I'm trying to fit into my new program!

Who does your choreography? 8-)

Clarice
07-17-2003, 02:00 PM
My freestyle coach lays out the elements, but I work on-ice with a Russian ballet teacher on the presentation. I'm not working on a program right now, so we're doing stroking exercises and working on positioning instead.

Cotton or nylon laces?

TashaKat
07-18-2003, 02:54 AM
Nylon (thin things that cut your fingers to ribbons)

Over-the-boot tights or the 'classic' skating look ...... I'm not asking what you wear just which you prefer :D

jazzpants
07-18-2003, 03:14 AM
Neither!!! Guess what I wear instead of those ghastly beige colored tights... :P :mrgreen: (But just to keep my coach happy, I do wear over the boot tights at test sessions and competitions. It's also to cover up my KEWL black boots!!!) :P

What's the most interesting stories you had regarding picking out your music for a program? In my case, my coach's favorite phrase was "SLOOOOOWER!!! Much, MUCH slower!!!" He finally took "Until The Last Moment" by Yanni (from "Live At the Acropolis.") It was a winner b/c 1) everyone at the session that he was playing this music at started doing creating choreography "spur of the moment" for fun and 2) Coach tried it out for himself and said "OH! I want to skate to THAT!!!" :P

flo
07-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Flying back from Adult Nationals at Oakland, I began to think of the next year's interpretive program. It was a 5 hour flight, the movie broke, and my friends were asleep. I wanted something fun to interpret. Something that moved, flew, raced and stood still. As I checked and re-checked my watch to see when the flight would finally end - I found it. Time. I wrote out the program on a napkin, gave it to my coach and started on the music the next day. It's been one of my favorite programs.

What has someone told you, right before you stepped on the ice for competition that made an impact on that event? For me my coach said "you have the advantage of speed. Use it". I had never really thought of myself as a fast skater. I kept up my speed and had a great skate.

Mrs Redboots
07-18-2003, 01:18 PM
I think it was when I was feeling really cross with nerves, and biting everybody's head off, and someone said something that made me realise that if I didn't have fun out there, chances are, nobody else was going to have fun watching me!

What have you occasionally been able to do, but not always, and are longing for it to return?

luna_skater
07-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Spins! I haven't been working on them very long, and only one-foot upright....but some days, I nail it on the first try, and other days I practically travel right out of the arena....

How does your skating rank in your life's priority list? That is, in relation to job, family, friends, other hobbies, etc.?

icenut84
07-18-2003, 03:47 PM
At the moment, not as high as I'd like. :( If I was skating at regular times, having lessons, and actually felt like my skating had some kind of direction to it, maybe. At the moment I'm just going when I can (not more than once a week) and trying to practice everything I've learnt before. It's higher priority than other hobbies though.

Do any of your friends/family skate?

CanAmSk8ter
07-18-2003, 04:13 PM
My mom's side of the family is French-Canadian, and they all skate. My grandfather was very into hockey as a boy, and I think he must of been somewhat disappointed to end up with two daughters. Obviously, in the fifties, hockey wasn't an option for girls, but he coached local youth teams anyway. He tried to teach my aunt to skate when she was five or six, but from what I've heard she wasn't very good, and he was very excited when my mom took to it better. They never took lessons- I doubt they knew there was such a thing, and there wouldn't have been extra money for it anyway- but my mom really loves to skate and she took me for the first time when I was six. If she hadn't, I'm sure my grandfather would have taken me eventually. He used to love to take me skating, and he finally had to stop taking my nieces and nephew skating a few years ago at age 76 when he had a knee replacement.

My cousin took skating lessons for a few years as a kid- she's 13 years older than me, so this was long before I was born. She just had her fifth child a few weeks ago, and the three older ones- ages 7, almost 10, and almost 12- have all skated a little. Her oldest is, according to my grandfather, one heck of a hockey player, despite being pretty small for his age.

As for my dad's side of the family, LOL is all I can say. They're some of the least athletic people I've ever met. My dad skated twice in his life, once at 8 and once at 18, and flat out refuses to try again.

Who usually accompanies you to tests or competitions?

sk8er1964
07-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Competitions: My coach and my mom, every time. My husband, dad and son to two out of three (my son had a hockey game the same time as one of my comps). Tests: My coach to all, my mom to one out of three (she couldn't make the others because they were during her work day). Next year, however, I probably won't be able to afford having my coach go with me to Sectionals and AN, which doesn't thrill me. At least my mom will be there, and she's a former coach, so that should help a lot.

Can you give an example of an "ah-ha" moment what you finally understand how something is supposed to be done? You know, the moment that leads up to you actually doing it right?

Ice T
07-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Oh yes! A very vivid one! It would have to be the backspin last summer. I argued and argued with my coach, "I'm spinning on the outside edge! I'm spinning on my right foot! I'm doing a backspin." He was never satisfied, and then one day, as he broke it down in a simple exercise.....I got it!!

I was so embarrased and had to swallow my pride and tell him that he was right. He just smiled 'cause he knew he was right. But I finally got it, and that was all that mattered. Now I can whip out a beautiful backscratch!

Where is the most unique or bizarre place you have ever skated when away from home?

Mrs Redboots
07-19-2003, 05:57 AM
The most bizarre skate I've ever had was in Chur, in Switzerland, on an outdoor rink when it was pouring with snow. They had cleaned it just before we went on, but by the time we came off it was an inch or more thick - it does show you how much time you spend on two feet....

What did you do in your most recent lesson?

Figureskates
07-19-2003, 07:49 AM
Last lesson we worked on the Salchow and my entrance into a spin. Both not very pretty but progress is slowly being made. In both cases it is rushing the move that is the problem. My coach wants me to have these down so that I can "practice my butt off", as she says, at Lake Placid next month.

How often do you get your blades resharpened?

sk8er1964
07-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Every 5 weeks or so. Went 6 weeks this time, and I was desperate!

How often do you skate?

CanAmSk8ter
07-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Right now, because I have competitions and tests coming up, I'm skating seven days a week- 2 hrs 15 minutes on Monday, an hour and a half Tuesday through Friday, and 45 minutes Saturday and Sunday. During the school year I usually skate an hour and a half Monday through Friday, and forty-five minutes every other Sunday. I get Saturdays off during school because I teach learn-to-skate most of the morning, and do off-ice in the afternoon Saturday and Sunday.

What's the next big "event" you're looking forward to?

Stormy
07-19-2003, 07:48 PM
PEACH CLASSIC!! I can't wait! :D

Not to bring up bad memories, but where did you have your "worst" skate? Mine was at Charter Oak open a few years back. Totally messed up my camel spin, then popped, of all things, a waltz jump loop combination. It was bad.

CanAmSk8ter
07-19-2003, 10:03 PM
I've had more than I care to admit, but one of my worst was definitely in Pre-Juvenile free about eight months before I quit singles. First I managed to cheat my double sal and both cheat and two-foot my axel. Then I proceeded to single my double flip- and fall anyway. Yes, Pre-Juvenile and I fell on what was basically a single flip.

In my defense, I had a huge surprise right before I skated- my best friend was competing later that day and she came into the locker room while I was getting dressed; when I asked her if she had seen our coach yet, she said, "Oh, she didn't get a hold of you? She went into labor last night." This was something like three weeks early, and she had taken a nasty fall on the ice a week or so earlier, so I was more than a little worried. Luckily, both she and the baby were fine. And she laughed when I told her about my double flip.

How many tests have you passed, total?

love2sk8
07-19-2003, 10:26 PM
All my freeskates, comp and test stream...
Dance only up to like junior bronze lol..
Figures up to 4th...but they took them out when i was around 11
I'm on my 2nd skill but i dont do them

Most recent jump accomplishment?

icesk8er31
07-20-2003, 02:15 PM
A consistent flip-loop combo. May not sound like a big deal to others, but I'm tickled. Also, I've been trying to add speed to all my jumps and, most importantly, to skate all my elements with my head up (I have gotten in the unfortunate habit of looking down when I skate....not attractive!). Pushing myself to attain those goals has also been a big accomplishment.

Question: Do you buy skating dresses (or other skating items) but not wear them? I find myself ordering skating dresses because they are pretty, but you know, I've never once worn one. I know own 3, and I have another one on the way. It's my secret shopping shame.

Stormy
07-20-2003, 02:47 PM
YES. Which is why I've tamed myself to only buy ONE Del Arbour dress a year, ususally when she comes to my club's competitions. They always look so pretty on the rack (and I luuurve Del's dresses), but I hate wearing dresses so I really don't know why I buy them. I only wear dresses to test and compete.

Most recent spin accomplishment? Mine is learning flying sit.

jazzpants
07-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Oh, I got TWO!!! Backspin is VERY VERY close! I start off fine, but fall to the inside edge after about 2 rev now. The other is the camel spin, even though it's only about 1-2 rev and not that pretty... and on a good day I could do a wimpy 2 rev camel- 1 rev sit combo too!!! :D

What new skills or goal would you want to get end of this year? (Me: I want to be a BRONZE lady by the end of the year so I can be eligible to compete at Adults National!!!)

Clarice
07-20-2003, 05:15 PM
I want to land an axel! (And learn a flying camel, and master evil brackets, and...)

Do you take your skates on vacation?

Figureskates
07-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Actually I do. When I went to Disneyworld, I took them to go skating at an ice rink in Kissimmee.

CW or CCW?

TreSk8sAZ
07-20-2003, 05:50 PM
CCW

Are there any skills you want to try, but have been banned from doing by your coach? (mine is my axel-- I got caught trying a few and am not allowed to try them until my coach says it's okay... it's a constant fight!)

CanAmSk8ter
07-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Not exactly- but I'd love to learn more of the international dances. The problem is, they adopted a bunch of new ones in 1995 or 1996, so my coach never had to do them (he had retired from competing and testing by then). I'm only like the second student he's had since then at the Silver/Pre-Gold level, so he hasn't had to teach them before either. It's not an issue for at least another year, probably more like two, but I am going to likely have to go to another coach to learn them. Luckily, I know two excellent coaches in the area who could teach them to me when the time comes.

BTW, glad to know I'm not the only person who buys dresses and then rarely wears them! It's totally uncool at my rink to wear dresses if you're older than, like, 10, so I plan to wear all of mine at camp in Lake Placid!

Have you ever gone to any type of seminar/training camp?

skaternum
07-20-2003, 07:41 PM
I've been to a Kathy Casey seminar at my rink. Janet Champion came and taught the spins, MITF, and "expressing music" sections. Kathy did mostly jumps and general stroking stuff with us. They split the adults into a single group, which was tough because there were varying degrees of skills, but it was better than being lumped in with the kids. It was a blast!

Does your coach teach one or multiple disciplines? Mine specializes in dance (which I hate), but also teaches freestyle and MITF quite well.

sk8er1964
07-20-2003, 09:19 PM
My coach does MITF, freestyle and dance. Mostly MITF and freestyle, I think, which he does very well. I don't dance, so I don't know how he does at that - but with his extensions and edges, I'm sure he does quite well.

I just put tape on my skates to protect them from nicks and scratches - do you tape and does it help?

Stormy
07-20-2003, 09:27 PM
I've never taped. I probably should, as it would have prevented a lot of the nicks and scratches I've gotten from freestyle, but more from synchro.

How often do you polish your skates. Honestly, I've been skating almost 10 years, and I've only polished a pair of my skates once! It's something I never think of to do.

Clarice
07-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Once in a blue moon. Which is why I compete in over-the-boot tights.

Do you have anything dangling from your skate bag? I have a keychain tag from the Buffet-Crampon clarinet company (which explains my screen name - clarinet and ice skating are my two great passions in life!).

icenut84
07-21-2003, 05:32 AM
Yup, I have a keyring toy of Zippy hanging from the zip, one of the characters from kids TV show Rainbow (which I loved when I was little). :)

What type of music do you prefer to skate to? Slow, upbeat, classical, poppy, unusual, instrumental, etc?

Mrs Redboots
07-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Unusual, I think. Something that showcases such skills as I have, and disguises my lack of them!

If you had to choose, would you rather test or compete?

dani
07-21-2003, 10:19 AM
I would rather compete. I like the interaction and the fact that it isn't just "against the book". I enjoy my friends I have met at competitions (going back to an earlier question, Skaternum gave me the great advice before skating my freestyle program in DC "Don't Suck" ;-)

That said, I am glad I don't have to choose! I enjoy working on tests.

How many coaches have you had and how did you change if you have? (I have never changed coaches, even on roller. The only way I have left a coach has been by moving)

CanAmSk8ter
07-21-2003, 11:46 AM
More times than I care to remember! A couple have moved away; one stayed in the area but started teaching at a rink I didn't like, so I chose to stay at the same rink and find someone else; same story with one coach I really liked but the rink she was going to was too far away for me; one dropped me from his schedule when he got "overloaded" (he was taking on new students within two weeks, but I would have had to switch soon anyway because he moved within a year), and there were others even further back.

What made you want to start skating?

icenut84
07-22-2003, 04:48 AM
Watching Torvill & Dean's free dance performance in the 1994 Olympics. It took me 7 years to start skating though, because there wasn't a nearby rink. That performance is definitely what made me want to skate though.

If you could only watch one performance from each discipline again, EVER, which would you choose? I've thought about it, and although it's really difficult, I'd probably choose:
Torvill & Dean - 94 Olympics FD (Let's Face The Music and Dance)
Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze - 99 Worlds EX (Impossible Dreams)
Michelle Kwan - 96 Worlds LP (Salome)
Stephane Lambiel - 02 Europeans LP (Cirque de Soleil)

flo
07-22-2003, 09:47 AM
G&G Moonlight Sonnata
MK National's long program performance in Philly. I was there, and it was amazing.
Brian Boitano's eagle program - Elegy for Harp and Strings
Dance - the team from Finland - Finlandia.

From whom would you like a lesson? For me - Dorothy Hamill

CanAmSk8ter
07-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Shae-Lynn Bourne (obvious choice, for me) or Katia Gordeeva (I've always wanted to try pairs).

Of your own programs, what was the music of your favorite one?

skaternum
07-22-2003, 12:51 PM
The Grand Valse from Chopin's score for the ballet Les Sylphides. It was a beautiful arrangement, well-cut, and perfect for me.

To turn it completely around, what music have you ever used that now makes you just cringe because it's so, so wrong? (Not just tired of it, but actually appalled that you thought at some point it was worth skating to.) :)

sk8er1964
07-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Bolero. This was before the Torvil & Dean program, BTW. I love the music to listen to, but to skate to, well it wasn't the best for me.

I'm having a terrible time finding music for this year's technical program. I have an interp picked out already. How long does it usually take you to settle on a piece of music you like?

CanAmSk8ter
07-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Ages, and then I usually change my mind a whole bunch of times before I finally decide.

What piece of music has an elite skater used that you would like to use? I've wanted to skate to Riverdance ever since Shae-Lynn and Victor did, and I'm probably going to use it for an ISI footwork program this year.

luna_skater
07-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Most recently, the Adagio piece the Shae and Vic used last year. That is exactly the kind of music I love to skate to.

What's your worst habit when it comes to skating technique?

Mrs Redboots
07-24-2003, 07:29 AM
According to my coach, not bringing my feet together. But he also bawled me out yesterday for "relaxing" half-way down each length: "You start off really well, and then you relax! Now do it again, and this time keep it going all the way down!"

What is your least favourite exercise?

sk8er1964
07-24-2003, 10:19 PM
If you are talking about off ice exercises, for me it would be sit-ups. Yuck. I don't do them, and I really should...:oops: :oops:

Have you ever seen your coach skate?

StarshineXavier
07-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Yes I have. We've even gone to open sessions together to skate. We helped each other with our jumps and such. My mom even picked her to be my coach after she guest skated at my club's carnival. I loved watching her skate that much!

What is your biggest accomplishment so far in your skating?

skaternum
07-25-2003, 10:15 AM
Hmmm. <sarcasm> There are so many to choose from. </sarcasm> ;) I'd have to say making it to my final round at Adult Nationals the first time I went. And seeing that one of my skating friends had also made the same final round. It was a thrill to get to call my coach and tell him. He was tickled pink!

Have you ever had to take time off from skating for something other than an injury?

Moto Guzzi
07-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Yes, I had to take three months off for a serious illness and surgery.

How many coaches have you had so far?

icenut84
07-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Three, if you mean private lesson coaches. I started skating in Feb 01 with group lessons. In September 01, I started privates with my first coach. In summer 02, he left to go to another rink. I started privates with 2 other coaches - one freestyle, one dance. The rink closed in March 03, and I haven't had a coach since. :( I've only had one lesson in that time.

Do you have any pieces of music that you really, really want to skate to one day - but not yet? I have three. I want to wait before I use them though, because I want to be able to do elements like double jumps, axels and great spins in them. (I've already choreographed parts of them, lol)

Mrs Redboots
07-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Yes, I'd love to do an interpretive of the song "My name is Luka", but I really don't skate well enough yet - if ever.

What is your least favourite on-ice exercise/drill? I think I hate back outside swing rolls.....

Mel1977
07-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Accelerando...If you've never heard of it, it's this tape of a drum beat that starts slow, and gets faster and faster and faster and you have to try to do crossovers along with the beat until you just about fall over from going so fast. It's horrible!!!

Here's my question...When you go away to a competition and stay at a hotel, do you go in the pool or hot tub, even though you have to skate the next day? I do, even though we're not supposed to. That hot tub is just too tempting at the end of a long day.

Clarice
07-25-2003, 01:55 PM
No, I've never gone in the hot tub before I had to skate, but once my coach took a bunch of skaters, including me and my daughter, to a training camp, and I spent the week trying to keep up with the kids. (I was the only adult skater participating.) If I hadn't had that hot tub at the end of every day, I wouldn't have been able to walk by the end of the week!

Have you ever considered trial judging?

CanAmSk8ter
07-25-2003, 03:55 PM
I actually did trial one test session when I was about 17; the problem is that I was, and still am, so frequently testing myself that it rarely works out for me to do my club's test sessions. I would like to get back into it at some point, though.

What boot/blade did you have when you started lessons, or were you in rentals?

flo
07-25-2003, 04:07 PM
The boot was a Wiffa gold star, and the blades were 4 aces. The skates had belonged to a friend of my brother's who didn't want to move them cross country!

If you were the skating fairy, what one gift (skill) would you give to a skater? I'd give great crossovers.

sk8ndancr
07-25-2003, 06:05 PM
I'd give great presentation skills (Charisma and posture)!
What irks you the most about other skaters?

CanAmSk8ter
07-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Poor stroking! I watched a Preliminary competition tonight, and these kids could jump and spin- most of them anyway- but their stroking in warmup was appalling!

Age-inappropriate choreography bugs me too- little girls doing seductive, butt-wiggling choreography. I saw some of that tonight as well.

And of course, the ever-present sandbagging.

Hopping off my soapbox, now- do you skate mostly with adults or kids?

luna_skater
07-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Synchro - all adults. You have to be at least 18 to skate on my team. For my private lessons, it varies. Mostly kids, with a few adults scattered in there.

What's the best thing skating has taught you?

sk8er1964
07-25-2003, 10:37 PM
That my knees can bend! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, that I can find the time out of my busy life to do something just for me, something that I love to do, that is even good for me too!

Have you ever obsessed over a particular jump or spin?

skatepixie
07-26-2003, 02:42 AM
not really. Waltz jumps have been driving me crazy though.

If you could skate like any one skater, who would u skate like? (For me it would be sasha)

Mrs Redboots
07-26-2003, 06:10 AM
An American adult dancer whose first name is Michelle - I won't post her full name without permission, but she dances with her husband, and anybody who has ever been to Adult Nationals will know who I mean!
Anyway, I'd love to skate like her!

What skill do you not have that is driving you crazy? For me, it's keeping up speed on my back stroking.

icenut84
07-26-2003, 06:32 AM
A proper scratch spin. I keep practicing upright spins (in both directions) but haven't really been able to get it good & consistent enough to think about turning it into a scratch spin yet. My old coach tried to teach me a spin with the free foot crossed over (not the whole pulling-in scratch movement, but the final position) but I couldn't quite cross it. Grr.

What aspect of your skating are you most proud of?

luna_skater
07-26-2003, 01:02 PM
A few things: (1) The degree to which I've been self-taught by watching and analysing other skaters and videos. I quit taking singles lessons over 10 years ago, but continued to do synchro and was very committed to perfection. (2) The fact that when I joined a new team last year, no one had any idea I had never taken a test in my life. (3) That I took the big leap, got over my fears, and started to test this summer. (4) My knee bend. :D

How do you warm up for a lesson?

skatepixie
07-26-2003, 08:04 PM
streaching and then stroaking.

do you taake private lessons?

Sho
07-26-2003, 08:25 PM
yes, yes I do

If you could have any color of skates (including patterns) what would you pick? (hehe, how bout some nice plaid skates!!! :lol: )

jazzpants
07-27-2003, 12:17 AM
I want TashaKat's purple Harlicks!!! :P :mrgreen: (But I'm already wearing the next best thing... BLACK FS BOOTS!!!) :mrgreen:

Do you have multiple coaches and if so, how did you divide up the teaching task. I have one primary coach now, but when I start working and get a paycheck, I'll have a secondary coach too. (My primary coach does moves and spins and edgeworks. My secondary coach emphasis will likely be on jumps.)

TreSk8sAZ
07-27-2003, 12:45 AM
I have a primary coach who works on dances, jumps, and moves. My secondary coach is her boyfriend, a former pairs skater, who works mainly on jumps and spins with me. I work with two other coaches, on a less formal basis, mainly on moves and any random questions I have on my dances, sometimes grabbing a quick group lesson during Coffee Club (all adult sessions).

What skill do you know that is WAY past the level you are at? (For example, I'm on my pre-bronze dances but I've learned and gotten some of the gold and international dances WELL before I learned any of the moves for FS or MITFs --and before I learned any of the dances inbetween)

luna_skater
07-27-2003, 01:12 AM
Well, I only have my Junior Bronze dances, but I can do twizzles, rockers, counters, brackets, hip twists, and the kilian step, to name a few!

OK, two-part question:
(1) What's the biggest sacrifice you've made for skating?
(2) Have you ever had to sacrifice skating for something else?

skatepixie
07-27-2003, 01:40 AM
i havent really.

what move do you do when you can do NOTHING?

Mrs Redboots
07-27-2003, 08:31 AM
Plain stroking, focussing on keeping on a edge, changing my weight at the right time, proper extension, bringing my feet back together, and keeping it up all the way to the end of the rink!

And some days, if I haven't the energy for that (if I have a cold, for instance), I work on compulsory figures and/or doing turns round the hockey goal.

How old were you when you started skating?

Sho
07-27-2003, 08:32 AM
I believe I was 8 or 9 when I started.

If you could have any skater as your pair or dance partner who would you pick? ( I mean ANY skater!)

Mrs Redboots
07-27-2003, 08:42 AM
That's an easy one - Christopher Dean!

What do you wear for everyday practice?

Sho
07-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Usually a dress or sometimes skating pants and of course, my skates!
I have a pretty big collection of skating dresses...(a girl can never have enough dresses!)

What's your favorite JUNIOR event to watch?

icenut84
07-27-2003, 10:09 AM
I don't watch Junior events as they're not often televised, but I did watch some of Junior Worlds this year and it was interesting to put faces to names (that I'd read on the internet), and also thinking about how these skaters could well be at the top of the world some day (as a lot of junior world champions do).

Is there anything you *have* to wear when you skate? (I'm not talking about skates, lol). I have to wear my ring (that my boyfriend bought me). A couple of weeks ago I got on the ice and realised it was in my jeans pocket (in my locker), so I got off the ice to get it.

Sho
07-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Umm, ok, well, I always have to wear my bunga pads (those gelly sock tube things you place around your ankles to stop your boots from giving you blisters).

What type of blades do you have?

CanAmSk8ter
07-27-2003, 01:21 PM
MK Dance.

How many years have you been taking lessons?

Figureskates
07-27-2003, 01:27 PM
4 years.

What is your toughest jump?

Sho
07-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Axel or salchow

Who do you think is the cutest skater? (I personnally vote for Brian Joubert :halo:)

icenut84
07-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Cutest? Maybe... Kevin van der Perren :)

What's the longest amount of time you've ever skated in one day? (For me it was five hours! Also, with an off-ice dance class in the middle! Lol. I did that five days in a row. It was great!!)

CanAmSk8ter
07-27-2003, 06:08 PM
Probably between five and six hours- I started to lose track at that point, LOL.

What is the longest you've struggled with one element before getting it?

(BTW, icenut, I could get that message to Kevin for you if you'd like!)

mikawendy
07-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Longest I've struggled with an element is 8 months (I've only been skating for 1 1/2 years, of which only 9 months of those I was in lessons)--the element is LFI 3 turns (blech blech blech blech). And I'm a clockwise skater, so I'll need it for some of my jumps. For the life of me I can't get onto a decent LFI edge to do the turn, or I chicken out and don't even do the turn. I can do LFI edges fine around a hockey circle, but can't get my body to do the turn without two footing it.

My question: Of the elements that you can only do well on one "side," which would you most like to be able to do on both sides equally well? (I'd pick FI spirals--on my left foot I look like a wounded airplane...)

Sho
07-27-2003, 07:13 PM
yeah I would have to say forward inside spirals too!

What's your favorite piece of music that you skated to?

luna_skater
07-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein".

Do you come from a "skating family," or are you the only skater?

Sho
07-27-2003, 07:43 PM
I'm the only skater in my family.

Do you prefer group or private lessons?

sk8er1964
07-27-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm a private lesson person -- although I would probably enjoy group lessons if they had them for my level because of the social aspect.

Do you keep your skates in the car or bring them in each day?

luna_skater
07-27-2003, 10:03 PM
The only time my skates are in the car is when I'm taking them to or from the rink. Otherwise, they are in my house.

How do you do your hair and make-up for a test day or competition?

StarshineXavier
07-27-2003, 10:33 PM
It varies depending on what I'm competing or testing. For Dance tests I usually have my hair in a bun, except if the dance is something fun or upbeat, which I just have a ponytail or fake hair. Make up is simple, mascara, eye shadow that compliments the dress and lipstick with gloss over top. I always had a pony tail for skills tests with just lip gloss and mascara. Freeskate tests and competitions I usually have a low bun with a side part, and make up like I wear for dance tests. For interpretives, hair and make up depend on the theme of the interpretive. For the last one I did, I had a low bun with a little "hat" over the bun, sewed in my hair, and I wore mascara, eye shadow, eye liner and lipstick.

What's your worst skating habit? (ie. not properly drying your blades)

TreSk8sAZ
07-27-2003, 10:56 PM
My absolute worst skating habit is looking down, especially on jumps. Off-ice, it's probably leaving my soakers on too long.

Do you prefer custom dresses or stock dresses?

Mrs Redboots
07-28-2003, 05:39 AM
Custom. They don't often stock dresses in my size! Although I do have one off-the-peg one that is lovely.

What have you liked best about skating, apart from the thing in itself? For me, it opened a door to friends all over the world, which is something I value enormously.

CanAmSk8ter
07-28-2003, 11:13 AM
My friends. My best friends have all been skaters for the last eight years or so. I've also, through skating, gotten to meet people from all over the world. At last count, I had met skaters from 21 different countries! I don't think many people my age can say that. Aside from that, I just plain love to perform.

How long do you warm up off-ice before skating?

skaternum
07-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Because of my old lady back exercises, I have to arrive at the rink in time to squeeze in a 20 minute warm-up. It's mostly stretching, but I usually throw in a brisk walk around the lobby area and some Grands Battements from ballet.

Do you use the one-piece or two-piece hard rubber guards for your blades? And what color(s)? I used to be an all-white one-piece kind of girl, but I've branched out into two-piece fuschia!

flo
07-28-2003, 12:13 PM
2 piece guards. Lately they have been matching my competition program dresses. Copper for a couple of years, and then blue and aqua for my freestyle and interpretive programs.

Everyone looks for a great picture of themself on the ice. Do you have one? I have one from a program I did at Rockefeller Center. My mom took it with a disposable camera.

luna_skater
07-28-2003, 03:51 PM
I have a few that I like, but just one that I'm very happy with. All except one are from synchro, and my favourite is a shot of us in block formation. I just happen to look in extra good form. :D

How sharp do you prefer your blades, and how often do you get them sharpened?

Stormy
07-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Pretty sharp. During synchro season, they get dull pretty quick, but since my sharpener is an hour away from me, I don't take them as often as I should.

What type of clothes (dress, pants & sweatshirt, etc) do you most often skate in? I always wear pants, a long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve shirt & pants. Dresses ONLY when testing or competing. :)

Sho
07-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Dress, sometimes pants...on the occasion, booty shorts...LOL!

Favorite rink you've skated in?

Jillianioso
07-28-2003, 07:17 PM
TD Waterhouse arena in Orlando, Florida. That thing was amazing!!!

Long or short skirts?

Sho
07-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Short for sure ;)

Favorite time of the day to skate?

sk8er1964
07-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Lunch time to mid-afternoon.

Have you ever fell and slammed into the boards?

luna_skater
07-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Many, many times. But usually doing something like flying off the end of a pinwheel, which sounds way more dangerous than if I just tripped myself or something. :D

How often do you test?

StarshineXavier
07-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Whenever I've gotten something ready to test. This past season, I tested in Interpretive & Dance in November, Dance in January, Freeskate & Interpretive in February, Interpretive in June. It's usually an average of 2 times a year though.

How many coaches have you had in your skating career?

becca
07-28-2003, 11:04 PM
At least 20. Usually more than one at a time though. I currently have 1 for dance plus 6 for freeskate (they coach as a team).

Do your coach(es) coach individually or as part of a set team? If they coach individually to they let/encourage you to work with other coaches as well?

TreSk8sAZ
07-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Well, my primary 2 coaches coach as a team (as they are practically married, it only seems fitting). But they allow me to ask questions of the other coaches in the rink, especially if they aren't there.

What is the longest amount of time you've had to take off from skating (for injuries or work or vacation, etc.)?

icedancer2
07-28-2003, 11:33 PM
I took 21 years off -- quit when I was 14 and started back again at 35.

Who is the most famous skater you have ever shared ice with?

For me that would have to be Suzy Wynn.

Sk8Bunny
07-29-2003, 12:28 AM
Ryan Jahnke(but that isnt a big deal) and Ann Patrice. I actually skated in an exhibition that included AP and Ryan Bradley once. Like, we each had our own programs and stuff, but it was still kool. One of my good friends just moved to California and often shares the ice with Michelle Kwan! no fair! lol.

If you could have any custom skate dress made, no matter how much it cost, what would it look like?

skatepixie
07-29-2003, 01:00 AM
OMG! Hard question. White. no sleeves. Shorts skirt that flares a little. )Like the skirt on sashas carmen dress but white) covered with seed pearls and real diamonds. A reall diamond neckless attached to the illusion fabric.

If you could work with any top coach who would it be? (I say TT)

luna_skater
07-29-2003, 02:25 AM
Benoit Venne and Lynne Forget - coaches of Les Supremes synchro team, World Senior Bronze Medallists. Many teams across Canada work with Benoit on stroking or choreography, but I haven't been lucky enough to be on a team that has yet!

Do you stick to one discipline or area at a time, or do you do a bit of everything? I only do dance and synchro right now, but I hope to start skills in the future. I'm not sure if I would work on both dance and skills together, or focus on one for a while and then the other (time and money depending, as always!)

skatepixie
07-29-2003, 03:14 AM
I only do singles.

If you could skate at one time of the day what would you choose? I would say late night.

luna_skater
07-29-2003, 03:31 AM
Mid-morning...around 10 or 11.

What's the view like from where your rink is? The rink I skate synchro at faces the University, and the rink I take dance at has a great view of the Rockies from the parking lot.

icenut84
07-29-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
(BTW, icenut, I could get that message to Kevin for you if you'd like!)

What, that I think he's cute? lol, sure! (Do you skate at the same rink?)

In answer to the last question: the rink I skate at is in the middle of a city, so the only view is roads and buildings! Not that exciting.

Have you ever wanted to be involved in skating in another way than actually skating yourself? I'd love to design costumes and choreograph.

luna_skater
07-29-2003, 06:58 AM
I plan to judge synchro in the future, and would love to be a co-coach or co-choreographer of a team, but those are less of a reality than judging.

What's a compliment you've gotten about your skating that's made you feel good? I've been told I have soft knees, which just makes me beam inside because I've worked hard at it.

P.S. Sorry for being such a thread hog. I'm on the graveyard shift at work tonight and it's reeeeeeallllly booooooorrringggg. :P

Clarice
07-29-2003, 07:00 AM
I do design costumes, for my daughter and a few others in our club (funnily enough, I usually buy my own dresses), and really enjoy it. It's fun to talk with the skaters, sketch out their ideas, and make them a reality. I also started teaching group lessons about a year ago. But my favorite thing is music selection and cutting. I just did all the programs for our summer ice show, and, though it was very time-consuming, it was rewarding finding just the right music for each skater.

Have you ever performed to live music? Our kids get to skate in a Christmas show put on by our local symphony orchestra. They perform to a crowd of about 9000 - quite a thrill!

Clarice
07-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Oops! - Posted at the same time as luna-skater, so I'll answer that question, too. I've been told I have pretty arm positions and feel the music well. - I'll let my question about live music stand!

luna_skater
07-29-2003, 07:09 AM
We performed while Michael Burgess stood and sang at center ice during an Old Timers' Hockey Game intermission. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the song he sang. It's a well-known one, though, and I believe it's from Les Mis. I think Kurt Browning has skated to it.

What kind of music would you love to skate to for a group number?

Mrs Redboots
07-29-2003, 12:07 PM
I've only once skated in a group number, and hated it, so I can't think of any music I'd love to skate to in one, if that makes sense (I was so afraid of messing up it completely spoilt my enjoyment of it).

What is the worst thing about your rink, and what's the nicest?

flying~camel
07-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Nicest thing: It's pretty big rink, with 2 ice surfaces
Worst thing: TINY, TINY locker rooms!

How many coaches are there at your rink/club? We have 4 (all of them do freestyle and moves in the field, and one also does dance) :)

TreSk8sAZ
07-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Our rink has 4 skillls teachers (meaning they only teach skating school) then we have I think 5 (mayber 6) coaches that do skills and private lessons. That doesn't include all of the hockey coaches as well.

When you do your hair for a competition, do you make it match your costume or program? (for example, for tangos I put in a red flower, and I've seen people put small headpieces of flowers or ribbons for German themed programs)

skatepixie
07-29-2003, 02:13 PM
I dont compete. But I would do that.

How many serfices does yr rink have?

Stormy
07-29-2003, 07:11 PM
My rink has 4 surfaces. I love my rink. :)

How do you wear your hair for practices? I usually put mine in a pony tail and the pull the tail into a little bun. I can't stand having my hair in my face.

sk8er1964
07-29-2003, 07:46 PM
I wear mine short and curly. Actually, by the end of the session it is short, curly and frizzy. Sigh. :roll:

Does your coach make you laugh?

icedancer2
07-29-2003, 07:47 PM
My hairdresser is also a skater. When I first met her I always wore a hadband so that my hair wouldn't go in my face when I skated. She hated the headband and so has been cutting my hair in such a way as to prevent the hair from going in my face. She understands my needs very well.

Who is the highest-ranked person you have ever skated dance/pairs with?

I took my Willow Waltz in 1966 with Tim Wood (from DSC) who later became National and World Champion and Olympic Silver Medalist (in Singles). Wish I had a tape of that! I remember I had to solo it too!

sk8er1964
07-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Oops! Icedancer2 and I posted at the same time. To answer her question, I've never done dance or pairs - but I did get to do a demonstration with Charlie Butler at one of his clinics (of how to teach somebody brackets) and I got to skate/get pointers from Todd Eldridge and Richard Callahan at a Chevy skating promotion.

I'll ask my question again -

Does your coach make you laugh?

Sk8Bunny
07-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Erik Schulz taught me a bit of pairs this summer. He is a coach tho, not my pairs partner. He was a national champion, but it was in figures i think. lol.

I skate at 2 different rinks, one where u pay the coaches directly, and one where you buy ticket stubs. Im curious- do you pay the coach the directly or thru the skating club(ie, ticket stubs)?

Sk8Bunny
07-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Hehe, sk8er1964- we answered the same question about pairs at the exact time!

sk8er1964
07-29-2003, 08:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I replied again at the same time. Hee hee. All right! I give up! Someone want to answer both questions?

icedancer2
07-29-2003, 08:14 PM
Well, here I am again.

Let's see. I pay my coach directly, AND she makes me laugh -- a LOT.

What is your earliest skating memory?

The first time I skated was on a flooded field of ice at the park. My dad took me and said that I fell at leat 50 times the first time around. That should have been my clue to quit then and save my money!! I was 5 or 6.

skatepixie
07-30-2003, 12:34 AM
I was 7 or 8 and I skated with school.

What is your fondest skating memory?

Mrs Redboots
07-30-2003, 06:31 AM
Winning Gold at the Dune of Flanders Cup the second time - it never really sank in the first time!

Have you ever had to not skate because of an injury, and how did you cope?

Jillianioso
07-30-2003, 06:56 AM
Yes I had to take some time off when I was younger for a cracked tailbone. I actually didn't mind because I could barely walk and sitting down was a hard task. But I also had to take some time off and limit what I did on the ice due to tendonitis in my hip. That was hard seeing someone else skate in my spot (I did synchro at this time) but I still went and watched every practice and I coped by doing my exercises all the time and making sure it healed.

What is your favourite childhood skating memory?

Mrs Redboots
07-30-2003, 06:58 AM
I didn't skate as a child, so don't have one!

How long does it take you to get to your rink, and how do you go? For me, it can take up to an hour in heavy traffic, on the bus.

Clarice
07-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Argh! Sore spot! I drive to my rink, and it SHOULD take only about 15 minutes. But, to get there I have to cross a major river, and ALL of our bridges are under construction simultaneously this summer (who decides these things, I'd like to know?), so at certain times of day it can take more like 45 minutes. You really have to know your traffic patterns to decide which bridge to try to use when.

Does your club have a logo or club jacket, and, if so, what does it look like? We don't have specific colors we use, but we have used a logo that looks like one of our bridges supported by a skate blade.

flying~camel
07-30-2003, 11:51 AM
Our's looks like this:
http://www30.brinkster.com/ggrfsc/images/logo_small.jpg
and it is embroidered on the back of our club jackets, which are red, white and blue :)

Have you ever been dropped as a student by a coach for reasons other than moving away, switching rinks, etc? For example, my sister and I were dropped when our freestyle coach found out we wanted to take dance at another rink... never mind that out freestyle coach didn't teach dance...

Mrs Redboots
07-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Thankfully not; there's too much politics at our rink to make that a desirable option....

How many sessions do you skate each week?

skatepixie
07-30-2003, 12:10 PM
3 sessions 3 hours each.

what color are your skates? Mine are white.

96.23??
07-30-2003, 12:32 PM
Plain ol' white, with touches o brown dirt, purple marker and skate tape.

Do you use skate tape?

Mel1977
07-30-2003, 12:58 PM
I used skate tape once, and I hated how it looked so I took it off.

This may have already been asked, if so, sorry, but have you ever skated barefoot? By that I mean no tights or socks inside your skates, not bare feet to the ice!:lol:

LWalsh
07-30-2003, 03:46 PM
I don't but I know at least four coaches who do skate in barefeet.

For those who have a spreadeagle or high spiral, what kind of exercises did you do to get flexible enough for these?

skaternum
07-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Ballet! Lots of ballet.

How many hours of figure skating time per week are offered at your primary rink?

Mrs Redboots
07-31-2003, 12:54 PM
We don't distinguish between figure skating and dance time - it's all teaching ice, of which we have 33 1/2 hours, plus one hour figure club and one hour dance club.

Did you skate today?

sk8er1964
07-31-2003, 07:34 PM
Yes. I skate for an hour every day except Sunday. It was a pretty good practice.

What kind of blades do you use - and why did you pick them? (I use Ultima Elites - on the recommendation of my skate fitter.)

skaternum
07-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Yes, I did. I had a singles lesson. We worked on my spins (bleeech!) and did a couple of run-throughs of my program.

What's the most number of run-throughs you've done in a single session? I've done 3 run-throughs of my 2:10 programs (2 singles program run-throughs and 1 pairs program run-through). I thought my lungs were going to come out my nose! There's a kid at my rink who routinely does 6 of a 2:40 program, spread out over about an hour and a half.

skaternum
07-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Oops! I'll answer sk8er1964's. I use MK phantoms. I picked them because I liked the MK Professional, but wanted a little extra help when I started thinking about doubles. :)

I'll repeat my question. What's the most number of run-throughs you've done in a single session?

blurrysarah
08-01-2003, 06:44 AM
I think during one synchro session our coach made us do our short program 5 times, 3 in a row and 2 in a row. The last one was hilarious, the whole team was stumbling around, doesn't help that it's 7 in the morning either.

What move did you find just came naturally to you? A move that most people normally require a lot of practice on, but which you got almost straight away? For instance, mine is an ina bauer. I'm sure everyone has "their" move.

StarshineXavier
08-01-2003, 07:01 AM
Outside spread eagles. It took me just under a month to perfect it, and I taught myself how to do it. Now I'm trying to perfect going the other way, which is working ok.

What move have you been working on forever and just haven't been able to do? For me, it's spirals, laybacks and double toes. I don't do spirals or double toes anymore, that's how frustrating they are.

Mrs Redboots
08-01-2003, 07:14 AM
3-turns at speed! Actually, any sort of turn at speed. Mind you, it would help if my backwards skating technique was better......

Do you ever feel that you are never going to get anywhere?

Clarice
08-01-2003, 08:52 AM
Ah, yes, the gerbil-wheel phenomenon! Feeling like you're running, running, running, but always staying in the same place - I know it well! For me, what helps is looking backwards - I don't always feel like I'm ever going to get anywhere, but I can certainly see how far I've come.

What do you wish your rink had that it doesn't at present? I wish we had a proper dance room. We do ballet in a meeting room. They've installed mirrors, at least, but it doesn't have the right floor.

icenut84
08-01-2003, 09:41 AM
The option of paying on the day (it's a pain in the bum having to book and pay in advance for a lesson) and more available coaches on the practice sessions (to increase the chance of getting a lesson!).

Have you ever won a gold medal?

flo
08-01-2003, 10:26 AM
Yes, two were at Adult Nationals. It's always great to medal, but these were particularly special, as I felt they were good performances, and I had a great time out there!

Do you engrave your medals, or use a magic marker to record the event?
I engrave a couple from Nationals, but most are wth a sharpie!

skaternum
08-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I put a small sticky label on the back and write the event and year (if not on the medal) on the label.

Do you cut your own music?

StarshineXavier
08-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Yes I do, and I have been doing so for 2 years now. I'm training to be a coach as well, so I'll be cutting music when I start having students as well.

Which skater(s) do you admire and why?

Mrs Redboots
08-02-2003, 05:21 AM
The trouble is, the skaters I most admire are my own contemporaries, not world-class skaters, so I don't want to publish their names without their knowledge and consent! The reason I admire them most is that I can perhaps aspire to be like them, if I work hard, whereas I can't aspire to be another Marina Annisina, or however her last name is spelt!

Do you have a role model at the rink or rinks where you skate regularly?

skatepixie
08-02-2003, 05:50 AM
definatly. Several of my "skate buddies" and both of my coaches.

have you ever skated at a famous rink?

Figureskates
08-02-2003, 01:43 PM
I skate at the rinks in Lake Placid.

3 turn or mohawk entrance to your Salchow?

TreSk8sAZ
08-02-2003, 03:33 PM
I usually do 3 turn entry, but when my jumps are off or I'm just not doing something that I'm supposed to be, my coach threatens me or makes me do mohawks, knowing full well that I DESPISE them.

What event are you most comfortable with? (ie, you can just go out and skate at a competition or testing without being nervous)

Stormy
08-02-2003, 09:35 PM
I'd probably have to say testing. If I'm testing I'm (probably, pretty much) ready to test with a good chance of passing, so I'm more confident then. I don't think I will EVER not be nervous competing!

Are you an edge jumper or a toe jumper? I'm more edge (love loops and sals), except for axels! :)

skatepixie
08-02-2003, 10:46 PM
toe all the way baby. I had a perfect half lutz before i had my waltz at 10%.

sk8er1964
08-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Oops Skatepixie! You forgot the question!

To answer the last question, for me, it depends. I love the flip, but don't like the lutz and toe (actually, I used to like the toe before the evil doubles). I love the axel and loop, but not the salchow. I always though I preferred toe jumps, but this answer sure doesn't show it!

When does your fall ice start?

icenut84
08-03-2003, 05:46 AM
My rink is year-round, so ice time continues through the summer. It may be less than normal though (extra public sessions etc, because of the school holidays), so I expect it to get back to normal in September when the school year starts again.

What's the longest you've gone without a lesson, since you started skating? (I've only had one lesson in over 4 months! :cry: )

Mrs Redboots
08-03-2003, 06:07 AM
Probably ten days, when I've been on holiday. But these last few years, all our holidays have involved skating in one form or another, so....

What's the greatest thing skating has done for you?

Figureskates
08-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Gotten me back in shape.

What is the hardest jump you think you will ever do?

becca
08-03-2003, 09:52 AM
I'd really love to be able to do a double axel and triple jump one day (probably a sal). Realisticly. I'm sure that I will at least be able to do all my double/double combos clean. I can already do anything with a double toe after it except double toe/ double toe (cause I can't do a double toe on it's own at the moment...I used to be able to do it though) and a double loop/ double loop (small cheat).

Has a coach ever told you something (about an element) that just made it work?

One of my coaches can just say a few words to me and a jump or spin that I couldn't do to save my life just becomes the easiest thing.

sk8er1964
08-03-2003, 04:57 PM
My coach is really good at trying different things to make me get something. If one thing he tells me doesn't work, he tries something else. Eventually the light bulb goes on and we are on our way. I like the fact that he isn't married to one way of explaining things and is willing to work with other options :D .

For practice -- skirt/dress or pants?

96.23??
08-03-2003, 05:11 PM
I love my pants :D

For practice do you wear T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, or sweaters?

StarshineXavier
08-03-2003, 05:16 PM
T shirt with a sweater over top. I always dress in layers for skating.

What's your favourite thing to wear to skating?

Clarice
08-03-2003, 07:24 PM
My very favorite thing is one of my fleece pullovers from Old Navy - I always wear one to start the session, though it usually ends up hanging over the boards after a while. If I'm teaching, it's my giant GAP fleece sweatshirt, because the pocket is useful for holding markers, kleenex, etc.

What's the best food at your rink's snack bar? Ours is probably the personal pizzas - they just changed vendors and the new company is MUCH better than the old one. None of it is all that great, though, so on Saturdays when the farmer's market is open, we all run across the street to the Chinese food stall.

skatepixie
08-03-2003, 10:27 PM
everythings pretty good they have nice hamburgers.

do you prefer doing jumps or spins?

dani
08-04-2003, 07:36 AM
I am definately a jumper!! When I am on, my jumps are huge and have great runout. When I am on with my spins they still travel and aren't that fast. I hope to fix my spins, though!!

What is your latest footwork element you are working on? I had a lesson on twizzles last Friday. Also, in my new program, we have this cool thing where I come out of a jump, step forward onto a left outside edge, tap onto my right foot turned a quarter turn, tap again (about half a turn rotated) and finish the rotation by stepping back onto my left foot. I don't know what it is called though.

skaternum
08-04-2003, 09:41 AM
My latest footwork element is a little series that includes:
2 fw choctaws, cross in front, rocker, step onto a twizzle

Bleech!! When that part of my program music comes on, you know it's butt-busting time.

How many male skaters are there in your club? We only have about 10-12 (pros not included) in a club of almost 200.

skatepixie
08-04-2003, 06:45 PM
im not sure because im not in the club. Id say like 5-10 though nt counting pros. closer to five.

how many coaches have you had?

blondeangl
08-04-2003, 07:42 PM

What was the last thing you learned?

CanAmSk8ter
08-04-2003, 08:58 PM
The last new thing? I haven't learned any new dances in quite awhile. The last new one I learned was probably the Westminster- most of which I'm going to have to learn again, because I've forgotten most of it. :oops:

Do you usually buy souvenirs at competitions- t-shirts and what not?

Stormy
08-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Depends on if I like the logo on the shirt and if it's been a good competition. If I did well, I almost always get something. I luuurve the 3/4 sleeve shirts. They always fit well and are good to use for practice. However, I do realize they are the HUGEST rip off on the planet.

What kind of skate bag do you have? Mine is a red rolling backpack that I got from my old Synchro team. It's just the right size and holds a lot of stuff.

skatepixie
08-04-2003, 11:11 PM
mine is an old rolling suitcase. Plain, black, and boring. It works tho.

What color are yr soakers and guards? My soakers are blade buddy mokeys and my guards are two piece metalic blue.

TreSk8sAZ
08-05-2003, 12:05 AM
My soakers are a blue/green/yellow/orange/pink rainbow design, and my hard-guards are two-piece metallic light blue and metallic purple.

What colors can you not wear on the ice? (light blue/white on me makes me fade into nothing)

skatepixie
08-05-2003, 12:57 AM
I wear the same colors I wear off ice. So basically I cant pull off lime green, that green-brown color, too much black near my face with out at least a little color, or any gross colors such as florecent orange.

What are your favorite practice clothes?

Sk8Bunny
08-05-2003, 01:45 AM
When I like to 'dress up' for practice, my fav dress is my fushia colored dress that has criss-cross straps on the back. it is sooo comfy and it is my fav color.
But if i am going for just plain confortable and not putting a dress on, i like black skate pants, or my navy blue olympic training center pants, and a colorful tanktop for a shirt. i usually put on a fleece pullover with whatever i am wearing.

Does your rink have a jump harness that you can use to assist in learning new jumps?

ChristianeDK
08-05-2003, 06:36 AM
Yes but I haven't tried it!

Which soundtrack whould you like to skate to? (If you had to - I know some people hate soundtracks :) ) Me - 'Oscar & Lucinda', 'Great Expectations' or 'The Last of the Mohicans'.

dani
08-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat!! But I can't find an instrumental version of it!!! :-( (I found one, but it was way too stringy!)

What is the neatest place you have skated so far? For me, it was on the ice that the Panthers play on and looking up at the arena.

Hugs!
Dani